January DLC announced - Out now!

• Thread starter omgitsbees
  • 211 comments
Abarth as a brand did not exist from 1971 to 2007. Fiat used the Abarth name as trim level in between those years. For example: the Fiat 131 Abarth, and the Autobianchi A112 Abarth. The 131 Abarth is a Fiat, not an Abarth. Does that make sense? :boggled:

When the 131 came out it was a Fiat, however the Fiat group (as in the entire group of companies) now treat Abarth as a separate brand.

As such it would not surprise me if the requirement for it to be a separate brand/manufacturer came from the Fiat Group itself, certainly if I was the brand manager within Fiat I would have insisted as much.

Of and for the record the 131 was not a trim level of the 131 (i.e. a branding exercise), but a model produced in the Arbath workshops....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abarth#Cars_produced_by_Abarth_include_the_following_models

...as the 500 in FM4 also is.

To be honest it could quite happily fall under either brand, as its arguable either a Fiat made by Abarth or an Abarth with a Fiat badge (and a lot of Fiat bits), you could have this discussion with a whole load of cars given how much manufacturers like to play around with brands. Take the Dino, its claimed (and most sources back the claim) that not a single one left the factory with a Ferrari badge, they were all added by either dealers or owners. As such does that make the Dino any less of a Ferrari? After all it was never specifically sold as one and originally intended as a standalone product, yet now its firmly seen as part of the Ferrari stable.

Regards

Scaff

Yeah, the only true 'Abarth' in the game is the new Fiat 500 since it has no Fiat badges whatsoever. The badges inside and out are Abarth. The 131 clearly has 'Fiat' written on the front grille and on the rear bumper with just a small Abarth logo on the right-hand side. A bit like Cosworth or AMG. Companies that tune existing Fords and Mercs.

Yeah, the only true 'Abarth' in the game is the new Fiat 500 since it has no Fiat badges whatsoever. The badges inside and out are Abarth. The 131 clearly has 'Fiat' written on the front grille and on the rear bumper with just a small Abarth logo on the right-hand side. A bit like Cosworth or AMG. Companies that tune existing Fords and Mercs.

It unfortunately never quite that simple.

Take this for example....

1301797_image1.jpg

....its a Renault or is it a Renaultsport? It gets stranger as no Renault factory ever built a Phase 1 Clio V6, they were all built by TWR in Sweden (with the bodies built in Finland).

The badges stuck on a car can mean nothing at all, as could be argued is the case for the Clio V6 (Phase 1) and the 131 Abarth (as it was Abarth staff that stuck those Fiat badges on the car).

Oh and AMG is not a company that tunes cars for Merc, but an integral part of Merc itself (its to Merc as the M-Sport division is to BMW or RenaultSport is to Renault).

Scaff

Except those badges could have been stuck on in minutes, and most likely were. The Abarth 500 is just a normal 500 with new bumpers, seats, wheels, suspension and engine/exhaust system. That's it. Everything else is a Fiat 500. It's very very easy to make a standard 500 look like an Abarth too, if you really want to.

Fiat decided they wanted their Abarth brand to be seperate to their Fiat brand. They have entirely their own dealership network these days.

Anyone know when exactly this DLC will go live? Looking forward to it. I know it's Jan 3 but is that midnight EST or will that be more like midnight PST? I'm on the east coast :P

It unfortunately never quite that simple.

Take this for example....

1301797_image1.jpg

....its a Renault or is it a Renaultsport? It gets stranger as no Renault factory ever built a Phase 1 Clio V6, they were all built by TWR in Sweden (with the bodies built in Finland).

The badges stuck on a car can mean nothing at all, as could be argued is the case for the Clio V6 (Phase 1) and the 131 Abarth (as it was Abarth staff that stuck those Fiat badges on the car).

Oh and AMG is not a company that tunes cars for Merc, but an integral part of Merc itself (its to Merc as the M-Sport division is to BMW or RenaultSport is to Renault).

Scaff

Yeah, it probably is a little more complicated than the way I presented it Scaff but for me, Renaultsport and Renault are still Renault. It's just a Renault which is a bit sportier and more powerful.

Likewise, with AMG and M. They are more powerful variants of existing Mercs and BMWs but are nevertheless BMWs.

I still think of the Clio V6 as a Renault Clio V6 RS (Renaultsport) Abarth I suppose is Fiat's motorsport vision, the same way that M, Renaultsport and AMG are integrally linked to their respective manufacturers.

But at the time of release, the 131 Abarth was officially known as a Fiat 131 Abarth.

Except those badges could have been stuck on in minutes, and most likely were. The Abarth 500 is just a normal 500 with new bumpers, seats, wheels, suspension and engine/exhaust system. That's it. Everything else is a Fiat 500. It's very very easy to make a standard 500 look like an Abarth too, if you really want to.

Fiat decided they wanted their Abarth brand to be seperate to their Fiat brand. They have entirely their own dealership network these days.

That's what I mean. The new Abarths are entirely separate, with their own dealership networks, as you said. The older 131 Abarth still came under the Fiat moniker.

Anyone know when exactly this DLC will go live? Looking forward to it. I know it's Jan 3 but is that midnight EST or will that be more like midnight PST? I'm on the east coast :P

Usually noon EST.

When I see the GLHS two words spring to mind: Talbot Sunbeam.

Enough said. :yuck:

I have no idea why as they are two different cars!

Dodge Omi: FWD with either a Pug or VW engine (aside from the GLHS) and suspension from the Horizon (not the Sunbeam).

Chrysler/Talbot Sunbeam: RWD and based on the Hillman Avenger

The Omni is related to the Horizon, not the Sunbeam, two very different cars.

Scaff

I have no idea why as they are two different cars!

Dodge Omi: FWD with either a Pug or VW engine (aside from the GLHS) and suspension from the Horizon (not the Sunbeam).

Chrysler/Talbot Sunbeam: RWD and based on the Hillman Avenger

The Omni is related to the Horizon, not the Sunbeam, two very different cars.

Scaff

come on the similarities are clear: i know you have used wikipedia and you are correct, but we can dream of the Lotus Sunbeam in forza surely....

talbot_sunbeam_470_470x352.jpg

L-Talbot-Sunbeam-Lotus-5.jpg

lets hope we get this as upgrade kit...lol

horizongroupb_02.jpg

I've only had any real time with the 2011 Lamborghini #08 West Yokohama Gallardo LP560-4 so far. Really enjoying it though, the handling on the car is really nice.

come on the similarities are clear: i know you have used wikipedia and you are correct, but we can dream of the Lotus Sunbeam in forza surely....
Oh quite agree they look similar and I would defiantly like the Lotus Sunbeam in FM (but not over a Lotus Cortina).

Wait.. the Dodge Omni GLHS is FF? Man that is disappointment in a tin.

Why? Doesn't stop it being a laugh to drive.

Scaff

You're on your own with that one. ;)

He's not.

Nothing wrong with a 2.2 litre Lotus tuned engine in a car that weighs bugger all, is RWD and has a solid racing record.

Seriously, you don't want this?

lotussunbeam-1.jpg

I do.

Scaff

I was only messing about to be fair. But as you asked, no, not really, there are other cars higher up my list.

Why? Doesn't stop it being a laugh to drive.

Scaff

No. It certainly doesn't. But, you know, when you get worked up with expectations? I should have done more research lol

I was expecting a U.S Sunbeam. Come on T10, make it so.

It must have a RWD swap option though.. right? Please, I couldn't take more toying with my emotions :lol:

Also helps to remember that Plymouth's version of the Omni was the Horizon.

In any case, can't wait for this pack. I requested the Impala in my top 10 list, love the Omni (now we need the Charger GLHS), and the Pinto should be good for a laugh. As for the rest, don't care much for the race cars however I'll probably look into buying the road cars.

Latest Posts

Back