1980s Japanese Cars
420PP
Comfort Soft Tires

Tsukuba
Deep Forest Reverse
London
Sarthe 2009
Mt. Aso

From my first attempts at Tsukuba, this race is very challenging.

Edit: I looked for a thread on this before I posted. I swear there wasn't one... I think my browser is not refreshing properly. :crazy:

Edit again: OK some joker dredged up a post from last year. :lol:

Last edited:
HaylRayzor
1980s Japanese Cars
420PP
Comfort Soft Tires

Tsukuba
Deep Forest Reverse
London
Sarthe 2009
Mt. Aso

From my first attempts at Tsukuba, these races are very challenging.

I couldn't beat that race with my 420 pp toyota sprinter trueno ae86

Anybody got any idea what the best car may be for these events I have to admit my garage isn't really stacked out with 80s Japanese cars

yeah tsukuba is tough i usually breeze through these events.... the #1 car is 30 secs ahead on the first lap thats really really far ahead. so much so the few cars i had wouldnt catch it at 420pp i tried a 89 miata and the supra 3.0 .. i so went and found a 87 honda civic mugen motul racecar in my used car dealer that was able to do it with some tweaking mainly lowering the transmission top speed so it was geared real short to make up for the lack of turbos

Last edited:
its this one

i was doing about 1:06-1:08 laps tracking down the pack in it vs about 1:10 in the miata

i think i added stage 3 engine and ECU but i turned the engine power down to 170hp to make it to 420pp
i had the aero all the may maxed out at first as the hp was only about 157hp

like i said the key for me was keeping the rpms up with such low power and since you cant put turbo on the car i knocked the top speed down to around 139 to shorten the gearing up.. probably could have lowered it just a bit more

Honda_MUGEN_MOTUL_CIVIC_Si_Race_Car.jpeg

Last edited:
I think some serious tuning is needed

Yep. The '89 MX-5 with power and weight reduction to 420pp will do 1:09s around Tsukuba with the stock suspension. Needs to do 1:06s to catch the rabbit. Definitely needs the adjustable suspension and at the very minimum some anti-roll bar and damper work.

So far, I've noticed two types of races on Tsukuba. You either end up in 2nd with 1st place like 19 seconds ahead of you, or you end up in 4th with three cars quite a ways ahead.

I tried my Supra, RX-7 and Miata. I'm gonna give the Mugen Motul a try, but are the other races just as terrifying?

As far as the new OCD is concerned, I have everything but 2 or 3 cars in it, and those three are some of the more rare ones. R8 LMS, C60, and the Astra. Pretty awesome list compared to the last ones...

Only tried Deep Forest besides Tsukuba and it was fairly easy.
imma give my Eunos a few more goes before i resort to the Mugen. The mx5 ive gotten to a 1:08.5 and that was an effort with the traffic , im having trouble with understeer of sorts.

Okay Tsukuba appears to be broken for most street cars as you need to run 1:06-7 laps to catch the rabbits. Outside of a race car like the Mugen with its extra downforce giving you greater cornering speeds not sure you can get that unless your an alien driver with a perfect tune.

For the other races I'm using a detuned version of my Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (AE86) '83, "Sunshine Express
Removed the turbo reset the power limiter to 100% and reduced the ballast to bring it up to 420PP. Makes for fun easy wins as long as you don't get to crazy hanging the back end out in drifts.:crazy::lol:

MCNAGTROC
its this one

i was doing about 1:06-1:08 laps tracking down the pack in it vs about 1:10 in the miata

i think i added stage 3 engine and ECU but i turned the engine power down to 170hp to make it to 420pp
i had the aero all the may maxed out at first as the hp was only about 157hp

like i said the key for me was keeping the rpms up with such low power and since you cant put turbo on the car i knocked the top speed down to around 139 to shorten the gearing up.. probably could have lowered it just a bit more

I still couldn't beat the Tsukuba race with this thing

My modded to 420pp and tuned MR2 1600 G-limited is running 1:08.002 - 1:08.8xx at Tsukuba. My best was +7.082 behind the leader.

Anyone having any luck with this car? Average lap times?

Had serious trouble with this Tsukuba event... an easy fix... Use the Honda civic mugen race car (as you have been doing) .... , then just restart (exit out of the race to reset the competition) until the honda city turbo II turns up in first place on the grid. P1 halfway through lap 5. 👍

Tsukuba events are always tricky without some decent tuning.

I quite fancy giving the 83 Civic or the the crazy Honda City turbo - if I can tame the understeer that is.

I still couldn't beat the Tsukuba race with this thing
Me neither :nervous: the Mugen was slower than my Miata.....
My modded to 420pp and tuned MR2 1600 G-limited is running 1:08.002 - 1:08.8xx at Tsukuba. My best was +7.082 behind the leader.

Anyone having any luck with this car? Average lap times?
Thought about trying that car, may give it a go tomorrow.
Had serious trouble with this Tsukuba event... an easy fix... Use the Honda civic mugen race car (as you have been doing) .... , then just restart (exit out of the race to reset the competition) until the honda city turbo II turns up in first place on the grid. P1 halfway through lap 5. 👍

:lol: Yeah thats gotta be the only way. Because if anyone beats the Miata i'll only believe it when i see it on Youtube.

yup when i beat it with the mugen car that honda turbo II was the lead car... the first time i tried it i think the miata was out front and i ended up 2nd and maybe 7 secs back.

it has to be a glitch or something as i dont think you can catch it.. or atleast i know i cant even driving my ass off

Good luck beating the Skyline GTS-t (R32) on Tsukuba. That thing is a beast.

Last edited:
I've been using an '85 RX7. I dislike RX7's at the best of times. Only reason I'm using one is because it's the only 80's japanese car in my garage that I don't care about smashing up. I won at Tsukuba when I had an '88 Accord in first. FF cars are helpless when driven by AI...

As you guys might expect, Sarthe is child's play, I've been lucky enough to have another set of FF Honda's in 1,2,3 & 4th positions. Cut the corners and you can get 1st position by the end of the main straight...with 370pp-ish. With an Accord up front, I reckon we could get to around 340pp or less.

Tsukuba was difficult, London was OK, Deep Forest & Eifel were both quite easy and Sarthe speks for itself. All except Tsukuba and Sarthe were done with an MX-5 in first. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just F.Y.I, my laps at Tsukuba with this rotary engined turd were around 1:06.4. Not enough to beat the Miata. With an R32 in first? Don't even try on Tsukuba...

Last edited:
yup when i beat it with the mugen car that honda turbo II was the lead car... the first time i tried it i think the miata was out front and i ended up 2nd and maybe 7 secs back.

it has to be a glitch or something as i dont think you can catch it.. or atleast i know i cant even driving my ass off

Yep, only managed second by a few seconds with the Eunos against the Eunos... something's not quite square here.... I was using the same car as P1 (special package 89 eunos) but nowhere near catching.

I don't know why all of you are using that Civic Mugen.

I'm running an avg. 1.3 seconds faster a lap in the Mitsubishi STARION 4WD Rally Car '84.
I took 1st mid-way through the 4th lap.

Check the opponents on the entry screen - the mazdas are 177HP, and 412PP. In my garage, the equivalents are 115HP and 354PP. This makes a 30 second lead unbeatable...

So why are "their" mazdas so much better than mine?

Last edited:
Back