"Japan's most beautiful car has to be the..."

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 125 comments
  • 9,521 views
i think if it was the worlds most beautiful car, i think there might be alot of flaming like, Japanese cars suck and american cars are tanks etc (please this is just an example dont take it serious)
 
You'd be right, Viper. I'm not brown-nosing, but if it were "beautiful American cars," the Viper would be on my list. Things only get ugly when you mash on the accelerator and outrun your competition :)

Anyhow, just wanted to talk Japanese cars. These are the cars I've been fond of, so I'm just trying to mix in with the crowd. I mean, hey. I'm a dude from Texas who likes cars from almost anywhere.

Maybe my thread has come down to a Toyota 2000GT love affair. Some guys might be offended that I'm calling a beautiful car of Japan's past a "princess," while the 2000GT drivers are the "princes." But the car is really beautiful. I kind of thought Toyota killed it when they brought out the TOYOTA 3000GT, which was basically a rebadged MR2.

I tend to think that Toyota, even with the racy looks of their cars today, can still apply those looks to today. I think if Toyota can rebuild the 2000GT, add in some good horsepower numbers (220 or more. I'm thinking the maximum in Japan, 276hp/280ps), have retro styling coupled with the beauty of modern cars, then Toyota would have a pretty good car to sell. Oh, and sell it cheaper than $30,000, or if they are insane, then $25,000. I think some of America's cars relied on one such characteristic- looking back into the past. Maybe Japan can do the same. Nissan did just that by bringing out the 350Z. The styling looks very cool in today's world, however, the edge that the Datsun Zs have provided is not there. Maybe Toyota can better their rivals and come out with their own remake.

Anyhow, I chose Japanese cars because I don't want to focus on an overall perspective. I don't want to start car nationality fights, so choosing a car based on looks is the theme for this one. I wanted to stay within Japan because that's the one I've chosen, and I feel comfortable talking about them. I am a humanistic thinker often times, and if I'm not satisfied with what ideas I dare to bring up on GTPlanet, then I'm not enjoying my experience now, am I? So anyhow, I'll try to find links for it because I don't think a 2000GT has been posted as a picture. I'll find links, so stay tuned until my next post.
 
As an update to this topic of recognizing beautiful Japanese cars, I mentioned that there were plans by Toyota to come up with a full-on sports car that may end up as an exotic. "The Next Supra" (site can be reached at: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41873 ) features a link to the Toyota Alessandro Volta concept supercar. On the same page but down below, you can find some of the concepts mentioned to think about what the next ????GT will be.

By the way, I am really adoring the Lexus SC430 of now. It is pretty expensive, but pretty pretty. Lexus is also coming out with concept cars, including one of what could be the next IS300. I'm sure this will also apply to the Toyota Altezza. Funny enough is that Japan will have its debut of the Lexus brand pretty soon. Lexus cars and trucks are very beautiful. I'm really starting to like them now.
 
Originally posted by skylineGTR_guy
R34 GTR :drool: I mean look at it, it just looks so aggressive, the headlights angled so they look like the car is angry, the vents ,carbon fiber underbody diffusers and an elegent strip on the rear spoiler. It just looks so mean. I never understood why anyone would put a bodykit on the thing.
I agree 100% and I've seen that car (I know cos of the number plate)
 

Attachments

  • biowdg.jpg
    biowdg.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 36
For me it has to be the Toyota 2000GT
 

Attachments

  • 2000gt1.jpg
    2000gt1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 27
Front and back its amazing
 

Attachments

  • maskattu%202000gt.gif
    maskattu%202000gt.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 29
Originally commisioned by Nissan and designed by Goertz (who also designed the BMW 507 and Datsun 240Z), its was taken up and produced as a loss making 'halo' model by Toyota.

Sold between 1967 and 1970 only 337 were produced (63 sold in the USA).
 

Attachments

  • 2000gt.jpg
    2000gt.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 21
For most beautiful Japanese -full production car- ...and some automotive history

My choices are heavily biased partly due to ownership...i like cars with a lot of personality and history ;)

Mazda RX-7 FD3S

It's a timeless classic. The car will always be sexy. FD3S is the epitome of the 'organic' car design movement that was popular in the early to mid-90's. Many design elements of the FD would be incorporated and imitated by numerous manufacturers years after its release (C5 Corvette anyone?). Imitation is truly the most sincere form of flattery...the basic design of the FD remained unchanged for 11 years before the model was discontinued in 2004 with the Spirit R Bathurst R model.

Toyota Soarer / Lexus SC300 JZZ30

The JZZ30 is an understated, underrated beauty. Designed at Calty, in Southern California, the design of the JZZ30 practically changed automotive design for coupes and sedans for years to come, with its extremely clean, restrained, yet highly refined looks. It was Toyota's first luxury coupe to go head to head against established Euro lines. Marketed as LEXUS (aka Luxury Export for U.S.) the JZZ30 debuted in 1991 and would go on to be one of their top selling models, alongside the LS sedan. The basic interior and exterior design remained unchanged for 10 years as it was said to be 'perfect in every way'

Nissan 240Z S30

Nissan made huge waves with the 240Z, internally within Nissan motor company itself, and around the world. For a true appreciation of this car, I would recommend reading the Fairlady Story. Mr. K's car would become one of the top selling Japanese sportscars when first released. Mr. K's own personal Z actually resides in So. Cal and is now owned by his personal secretary (retired) and cared for by her son.
 
Scaff
Originally commisioned by Nissan and designed by Goertz (who also designed the BMW 507 and Datsun 240Z), its was taken up and produced as a loss making 'halo' model by Toyota.

Sold between 1967 and 1970 only 337 were produced (63 sold in the USA).

Goertz also consulted and refined the design of the Silvia, which is in the game under Nissan Classics. 👍
 
My picks for the most beautiful cars from Japan are:

Historic - Toyota 2000GT
Production - Acura/Honda NSX (retractable headlights)
Racing - Toyota GT-One
Honorable mentions - RX-7(The last one), Z-Cars/Silvias/Skylines.

If I had to pick one, it would be the GT-One. 👍
 
RX-8, 2005 STi, RX-7, Nissan 350Z, Lexus RX300/RX330, IS300, and Acura MDX. My favourites anyway.
 
'99+ Mazda RX-7, hands down.
 
The RX-8 has better taillights though.
 
IMO, I think they're not the greatest looking, they're abit too APC looking. The RX-7's look a bit more badass, but to each his own.
 
lol Ford Taurus = last gen RX-7 knockoff.
 
Acura NSX
Honda Civic SiR coupe (6th Gen)
Honda Del Sol
Mazda Miata (2nd Gen)
Nissan S12 coupe (not hatch)
Nissan S14 MK II
Nissan S15
Nissan 240Z
Nissan Z32
Subaru Legacy sedan
Toyota MR2 (AW11)
Toyota Corolla AE92 GT-S coupe
 
Personally, I've always loved the S2000. I know its not the sleekest or most elegant of designs, but I love it. The FD is nice, but its more sporty rather than sexy. And, although the 2000GT is great looking, I think its too E-type for my taste. The S2000 is just smooth and sweet in all the right spots. Nice shape with the long hood and short rear. Low and long, nice compact lights, great interior, looks great with a hard top, soft top, or no top, lots going for it in my book. So, thats my pick. Heres a nice pic of a fav of mine......

Hilg

s2k8iv.jpg
 
Yeah, I'm a fan of the S2000 as well, I just forget about a lot of them.
 
JNasty4G63
Personally, I've always loved the S2000. I know its not the sleekest or most elegant of designs, but I love it. The FD is nice, but its more sporty rather than sexy. And, although the 2000GT is great looking, I think its too E-type for my taste. The S2000 is just smooth and sweet in all the right spots. Nice shape with the long hood and short rear. Low and long, nice compact lights, great interior, looks great with a hard top, soft top, or no top, lots going for it in my book. So, thats my pick. Heres a nice pic of a fav of mine......

Hilg
I came pretty close to selecting this car too. I'm not big on convertibles, but this one is nice. It still turns my head on the road. :)
 
shameless plug for my car...but seriously i love corollas...other than that, i would have to say sw20's, mkiv supras, and 240/260/280Z's and of course toyota 2000gt

great-pic.jpg
 
a6m5
.....I'm not big on convertibles, but this one is nice. It still turns my head on the road. :)
Same here exactly. I really don't dig cabrios. But, a friend of mine has an S2K with a Mugen replica hardtop. I love the look of that thing, no matter what top it has. I'm not sure what it is, they just work for me. Sleek, yet sporty, and very sexy when the top is down. Its hard to narrow down to just one thing, but whatever it is, I don't think I'll ever get sick of seeing S2Ks. I'd love to own one. Been trying to get the fiance to get one for some time to replace her crappy ass Miata. UGH, only a matter of time.

Hilg
 
FTO for me - the dark blue one with Carbon Fibre splitter :) Altho I am biased as I have an FTO in real life too - see my pic :)

ballachulish.jpg
 
pmacFTO
FTO for me - the dark blue one with Carbon Fibre splitter :) Altho I am biased as I have an FTO in real life too - see my pic :)

I love the car, but what an scenery!
 
a6m5
I love the car, but what an scenery!

Yep Scotland is great for scenery :) It's up near Glencoe and is fantastic for car meets, we meet there a lot, a lot of the Subarus, Evos, Skylines Onwer clubs etc...the driving is great :)
 
I think my favorite would have to be the Tommy Kaira ZZII, and a Purple Honda S2000. :drool:
 
Berlina Black "Ferrari of Japan" (pop-up headlights)
 
Daihatsu Sirion and Suzuki Wagon R.
 
Nissan Skyline and 350Z, Honda NSX and S2000.
;)
 
Back