Jeep Is Bringing Six Unique Concept Vehicles to the 2019 Easter Jeep Safari

:eek: Beautiful!

Jeep-Wayout_2.jpg

Jeep-Wayout_1.jpg

:eek::eek: Beautiful, beautiful

Jeep-Five-Quarter_3.jpg

That last screenshot or picture releases a huge amount of dopamine.

big-drooling-smiley-emoticon.gif

Dear FCA:

More like this, please.
Jeep-J6_3-800x621.jpg

Jeep-Five-Quarter_3.jpg

Since we're not likely to ever get anything resembling the light trucks of the '90s anymore, I'd be all over either of these if they hit showrooms as they're much closer to the general idea. I'd much rather have the 6' bed instead of two more seats that will only see use for boxes or the random junk that inevitably ends up permanently living in the back of a 4-door truck.

Last edited:
I really like the 2 door "little" truck concept. I miss having small trucks around.

Unfortunately, the buying public doesn't want single cab trucks or even really small trucks anymore. But I totally get the disappointment with not having them around anymore. I'd totally buy a small truck is there was one on the market. When I had my Tacoma it was absolutely massive.

Unfortunately, the buying public doesn't want single cab trucks or even really small trucks anymore. But I totally get the disappointment with not having them around anymore. I'd totally buy a small truck is there was one on the market.
I don't know if it's so much that people don't want them as it is they've just been told by carmakers that they don't want to make them. When gas prices were up over $3 a gallon there were quite a few folks scouring auto trader magazines and Craigslist trying to find Rangers or S-10s in good condition, because they needed something with hauling capacity but didn't want a fuel sucking V8 and SUV sized passenger space. There's definitely a market for them, but it's a market that has less overhead than the "living room on wheels" segment so no one wants to pursue it.

When I had my Tacoma it was absolutely massive.
And yet despite "mid-size" trucks being so huge, they feel absolutely cramped inside. I tried driving a 2018 Colorado a while ago and it felt like it had even less interior space than my Silverado that's 12 years older than it. The seat having terrible back support didn't help matters either, but still.

This is my ranking from most favorite to least favorite:

J6

Wayout

Five Quarters

JT Scrambler

Flatbill

Gravity

So in regard to the exposed aux fuel canisters... what's the fire risk on those? I see people carrying gasoline on bumper hitches, attached to rear spare tires, etc. etc. And I always wonder... what happens when you get rear-ended and fuel goes everywhere?

s-l300.jpg

So in regard to the exposed aux fuel canisters... what's the fire risk on those? I see people carrying gasoline on bumper hitches, attached to rear spare tires, etc. etc. And I always wonder... what happens when you get rear-ended and fuel goes everywhere?

s-l300.jpg

Pretty sure most of them are just filled with kool-aid anyways.

s-l300.jpg
Mythbusters did a test that was close to this. In movies, every time a car goes over a cliff, it explodes. So they tested it be sending a bunch of cars over a cliff. They also dropped heavy weights on exposed gas tanks. Nothing they did could make a gas tank explode. The most they got was some fire, and only because they ignited it. The only real danger I can see to the exposed fuel cans you show on the back of that truck is the fuel inside might get on the exhaust and start a fire. That's about it.

Mythbusters did a test that was close to this. In movies, every time a car goes over a cliff, it explodes. So they tested it be sending a bunch of cars over a cliff. They also dropped heavy weights on exposed gas tanks. Nothing they did could make a gas tank explode. The most they got was some fire, and only because they ignited it. The only real danger I can see to the exposed fuel cans you show on the back of that truck is the fuel inside might get on the exhaust and start a fire. That's about it.

:lol: oh is that it? Just fuel leaking everywhere and causing a fire?

The only real danger I can see to the exposed fuel cans you show on the back of that truck is the fuel inside might get on the exhaust and start a fire. That's about it.
And even then, the canisters that people fix to the outsides of their vehicles are made of steel or very hard plastic and designed to take a pretty large amount of abuse. You'd have to be trying to intentionally puncture one to get it to spill.

In regards to the Wayout, I'd imagine being recessed into the quarter panels gives them even more protection since those spots would probably be reinforced in some manner.

And even then, the canisters that people fix to the outsides of their vehicles are made of steel or very hard plastic and designed to take a pretty large amount of abuse. You'd have to be trying to intentionally puncture one to get it to spill.

In regards to the Wayout, I'd imagine being recessed into the quarter panels gives them even more protection since those spots would probably be reinforced in some manner.

I feel like there was a car that was notorious for this...

O1mKW-3kMRLmaF9StoxG5nbpgZQowMLgDBwtjzKygrI.jpg

s-l300.jpg

As @Eunos_Cosmo said, they are almost never have anything in them. Overlanders put them on their rigs to make it look like they are getting ready to tackle the wilds of Africa and not some dirt fire trail 10 miles outside a town. However, those who do put fuel in them and if they're hit, they tend to just make a mess. The ones on that Tacoma (and the Wayout) are Rotopax, which are $60 1.5 gallon tanks that mount in a stupid way to a $40 mounting point. They're surprisingly flimsy for what they cost so if you were to hit them with a car it'd be like hitting a pop bottle really hard.

But, since most overlanders are just mall squatters (the off-road equivalent of hard parking) the risk is small. Plus I'm not sure why you just wouldn't get a 5 gallon can and bungee cord it in the bed of your truck, that always worked for me.

I feel like there was a car that was notorious for this...

O1mKW-3kMRLmaF9StoxG5nbpgZQowMLgDBwtjzKygrI.jpg
Yeah, but that was a combination of a critical design flaw (a bolt from the rear bumper piercing the fuel tank in a rear end collision and spilling gas onto the exhaust), and Ford deciding that they didn't want to spend a tiny amount extra per car to install a tank liner that would have pretty much eliminated the issue.

Does not looks like real jeeps. They’re all rounded and covered with big plastic trim.

But that’s what you get when a Italian company who makes economy compact cars purchases a classic American brand...

Does not looks like real jeeps. They’re all rounded and covered with big plastic trim.

But that’s what you get when a Italian company who makes economy compact cars purchases a classic American brand...
Have you not seen a Jeep made in the last 30 years?

Jeep was literally doing exactly that as a brand even when Willys-Overland was the name on the letterhead; all of three years after they have been building them exclusively to help punch Hitler in the dick.

And if it wasn't for FCA, Jeep would no longer exist.
That's a bit of a stretch. Lido threw billions of 1980s dollars at it and the state of the art factory and hand picked engineering staff it came with were only afterthoughts. Someone would have picked it up if Chrysler hadn't; especially with how desperate Renault was to unload it. If Barry O hadn't stepped in in 2009, someone would have stripmined it from Chrysler's corpse then too.

On the other hand, if it wasn't for Jeep, the "C" part almost certainly wouldn't have lived long enough to even become FCA. It may not have even made it long enough to live through to the end of the Merger of Equals.

Last edited:
Back