Joseph Kosinski in Talks to Direct ‘Gran Turismo’ Video Game Adaptation

McClarenDesign

Insightful, but bollocks.
Premium
United States
Norman, OK
McClarenDesign
http://www.slashfilm.com/gran-turismo-movie/

Often when news revs up on a big video game to film adaptation, one question is at the forefront of the conversation: “what’s the story?” Now Sony is really moving forward on a movie version of Gran Turismo, the company’s very detailed racing franchise, which is perhaps one of the most story-free major game series out there. Now Sony has chosen Joseph Kosinski, the director of Oblivion and Tron: Legacy, to sit in the driver’s seat of the Gran Turismo movie.

For dedicated players who love tweaking every aspect of an auto racing simulator, Gran Turismo is thrilling and involved enough to occupy fans for years at a time. The series overall has sold 70 million copies thanks to near-perfect digital recreations of real cars, impeccable racing physics, and ever-more impressive audio and visual design.

To non-players, Gran Turismo is like watching paint dry in high definition.

THR reports that Kosinski is in early talks to direct, and that he will almost certainly develop a new script. That means the one by Alex Tse, which was loosely based in the concept of “a video game player turned racer,” has been tossed.

So what’s the story? We don’t know. But Kosinski is into racing, so expect something a bit more serious than the goofy “gamer becomes driver” premise.

This film also more or less takes the place of Kosinski’s previous effort at developing a racing film, which was based on the book Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans. That briefly had Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise as potential leads, but it never came together.

Sucks that Go Like Hell didn't make it.

Rumor has it that it may include a livery editor.

All joking aside, I'm glad we're finally hearing more news about this!

I can see can the Lead character in a race from Los Angeles to New York, with the opponents having a 20 hour head start.

It would be a good movie if it was based on how Lucas Ordóñez became a racer through the GT Academy and the Gran Turismo games.

Best actor for this movie:

s0p9cgy6xdngfdj5cozn.jpg

Miles Teller (Whiplash)

It would be a good movie if it was based on how Lucas Ordóñez became a racer through the GT Academy and the Gran Turismo games.
No it wouldn't. That would make for a very boring movie. 90 minutes of "Oh I used to play GT as a kid. Now I'm inspired to play GT in real life."

We all heard that story before, well, at least those that read the GTA articles.

No it wouldn't. That would make for a very boring movie. 90 minutes of "Oh I used to play GT as a kid. Now I'm inspired to play GT in real life."

We all heard that story before, well, at least those that read the GTA articles.
Well it was only a suggestion. I don't think you can do much else other than making it a generic racing movie. I mean there is a lot more to the GT Academy that we know of. It's not just driving cars, it's also about training your physicality and endurance.

POSSIBLE PLOT SYNOPSIS
The film starts in the magical world of Special Stage Route 11, where it is always nighttime, almost all of the human population has been ran over by a bulldozer, and that king of the universe is Kazunori Yamauchi. We are introduced to our protagonist Bobby Anter, who is a taxi driver that is just happy he at least has a job. After an awkward 7-minute jump edit to a racing montage with Daiki Kasho in the background, Bobby's history is explained. It was revealed that he had a father named Billy Anter, who was an extremely successful race car driver. However, when Bobby was 6, his father was unfortunately involved in a fatal accident where his Griffith 500 crashed off the Grand Canyon. The disaster has traumatized Bobby, so much so that the film switches to another jump cut of a racing montage, this time with The Cardigans playing.

For some unexplained reason, he became a race car driver after receiving gold medals at a Driving School. His pixelated, poorly rendered friends cheered him on every race, and Bobby had no trouble passing other opponents, as they usually stare blankly and rarely press the accelerator. In addition, he also purchased a thousand cars despite only driving one for most of the time.

Eventually Bobby wins every race in his career, making him receive a platinum trophy as the film ends with Snoop Dogg - Riders on the Storm and a video of Kazunori Yamauchi driving in the Nordschleife.

Last edited:
I would like a proper documentary on PD's work - traveling the world, meeting car owners, solving problems with licensing and all this other interesting stuff that we've asked in Q&A.

Back