Joseph Kosinski in Talks to Direct ‘Gran Turismo’ Video Game Adaptation

Wait wait wait... The TRON: Legacy guy? I'm unsure about this now

Although Oblivion was good, TR2N was... less so. Let's hope it is more Oblivion than TR2N.

Wait wait wait... The TRON: Legacy guy? I'm unsure about this now

Although Oblivion was good, TR2N was... less so. Let's hope it is more Oblivion than TR2N.
Visually, Tron 2 is awesome.(i have a bluray)[my profile picture say it all...]

I'm almost certain visually, It will look amazing and the acting will be pretty good. The only thing lacking in Tron and Oblivion is the storyline. We'll see if he can come up with something good. I liked Rush, and I kinda hope the story ends up being similar to that.

I can't think of a movie that would benefit from having Gran Turismo as a title. Either the movie would be good enough to stand on it's own two feet (and not immediately drive away the sort of people that think Gran Turismo is boring), or it'd be a POS that was just trying to cash in.

This smacks to me of more wish-fulfillment on the part of Kaz. He originally wanted to be a movie director and got involved with Sony to try and make that happen. He ended up creating a very successful video game franchise, and he's still looking for ways to spin that into making his movie dreams happen.

While I think he should get his shot at making a movie (he's hardly worse than any of the other random people making movies), I don't think it should be Gran Turismo. Gran Turismo as a game is about as far removed from being a movie as you can get. Trying to push Gran Turismo to fit into the movie mould is almost certainly going to be ugly.

Some games could be translated fairly well into a movie, mostly strongly story based ones. An Uncharted movie could be an Indiana Jones-esque wise-cracking action flick. A MGS movie could be a hard-bitten political thriller. A Gran Turismo movie...could have cars? The fact that the Gran Turismo games have basically zero in the way of plot to start with, and only the vaguest implication of a zero-to-hero structure to the game really means that any movie would only be tenuously related at best.

I hope it never happens.

I have received a copy of the script from an unnamed source, here is the synopsis.

Kazunori Yamauchi (Jackie Chan) is a loose cannon cop who doesn't play by the rules with a penchant for solving crimes at his own pace. But when Andrew Wilson (Christoph Waltz) steals all the worlds Porsche's, Kazunori will be forced to team up with straight laced Dan Greenawalt (Nicolas Cage) to find the missing cars and catch the dangerous Wilson before a bomb is set off in Tokyo. Also, godzilla is in it and some ninja's for some reason.

Gran Turismo, coming to a theater near you.... Soon.

I have received a copy of the script from an unnamed source, here is the synopsis.

Kazunori Yamauchi (Jackie Chan) is a loose cannon cop who doesn't play by the rules with a penchant for solving crimes at his own pace. But when Andrew Wilson (Christoph Waltz) steals all the worlds Porsche's, Kazunori will be forced to team up with straight laced Dan Greenawalt (Nicolas Cage) to find the missing cars and catch the dangerous Wilson before a bomb is set off in Tokyo. Also, godzilla is in it and some ninja's for some reason.

Gran Turismo, coming to a theater near you.... Soon.
Cut - print!

I think a movie will be great for gran turismo sales. More money means better gt games that get released sooner.
Throwing more money at a highly inefficient organization will not make it efficient all of a sudden. Quite the opposite actually, it means they'll just take longer to release even more uncompleted features. PD doesn't need more money, they need a change of structure. As a matter of fact, if you want them to become efficient, you would need to give them less money...

On-topic: I really don't see an action type of movie for GT. Documentary perhaps, but there is no story whatsoever, never has been. So they'll have to make one up. Which (as has been said already) means it's just a movie/story on its own that gets the GT brand slapped on to it.

Now if it would be a GT Academy thing (gamer to racer), that could definitely be thing, but they tossed that script. :confused:

I wrote this long ago:

I can definitely see the possibility of a movie from GT and GTA. I find the stories of the GTA winners to be very compelling.

A young kid (Billy) gets a Playstation and Gran Turismo for Christmas. It was bought by his Grandfather because his family was poor. He turns out to be a prodigy at the game.
[bullied for being a nerd]
Cut ahead several years. Now a young teen, Billy gets a PS2, a wheel and GT3 for Christmas. His grandpa sitting on the couch asks, "So Billy, what do you want to be when you grow up?". "I want to be a race car driver!". Grandpa says "you should think of something more practical."
[Jump ahead again]
Billy gets his license, and gets lots of tickets and gets in trouble for street racing. Just when it seems that Billy's world is about to fall apart GT Academy comes out. Billy does great and gets his all expenses paid trip.
Then there is the drama of the camp. He wins.
Then Billy is a real race car driver.
It is a coming of age story and I would certainly watch it on netflix. Well maybe.

This really could be a good movie.

Now if it would be a GT Academy thing (gamer to racer), that could definitely be thing, but they tossed that script. :confused:

How do you know this?

Last edited:
The article in the OP mentions it.
Wow, didn't read the whole thing before. I don't know what they will come up with if it is not GT Academy, but I doubt it will even be worthy of Netflix.

I hope the director will bring raw sounds in the movie, got tired of Hollywood sound of cars :(

If Mr. Kosinski watch this, make a movie with this sort of sound. Whatever the script and cars that became the star.

Listen to the beautiful accurate sounds ...

What kind of scares me is the intro to the latest Mini VGT... I don't ever remember cops in a GT car trailer before! Could that have been a hint? It seems really close in the timing of things... release of the car and now this discussion of a movie. Things that make me go hmmm!

Cheers

I asked TGAT about this and I did not receive enough replies there, so I'll ask this again:

Does anyone else think that an anime adaptation of Gran Turismo will work? Especially given that better movies based on video games are mostly animated ones... 💡

I asked TGAT about this and I did not receive enough replies there, so I'll ask this again:

Does anyone else think that an anime adaptation of Gran Turismo will work? Especially given that better movies based on video games are mostly animated ones... 💡
As long as Pikachu is in it, I don't see why not.

pokemobile.jpg

Listen to the beautiful accurate sounds ...

That right there is one of the reasons why I love Italy <3

About three years ago I was a leader in a youth camp in Emilia-Romagna, and once during the camp there was a hillclimb event near the town where we were. Sadly I didn't get an opportunity to go and see it, but we could hear the engines roaring from a distance and echoing between the mountains. Epic stuff.

Edit: Also good to see that the Lancia Stratos seems to handle similar in real life as in GT6 :D

Last edited:
Back