JrDarknes 240sx

• Thread starter JrDarknes
  • 331 comments
IMG_2255.JPG
I was going to go with the Nismo lm-gt4 style wheel too. but I went with str 521s, I think theyre are a new knockoff brand but I figured id give them a shot. Danny George and Forrest Wang have them on their fd cars so they must be good right?
btw love the build so far!

View attachment 240020 I was going to go with the Nismo lm-gt4 style wheel too. but I went with str 521s, I think theyre are a new knockoff brand but I figured id give them a shot. Danny George and Forrest Wang have them on their fd cars so they must be good right?
btw love the build so far!

Wow your hatch is clean, looks real mint.

Thanks, though I would call it more of a project than build since I technically haven't built anything.

I must admit I'm surprised they didn't mask behind the vents, that's pretty unprofessional.

It's maaco so yea loll. It's where I got my last two paint jobs.

@Ibonibo yea unfortunately they did but doesn't matter, have to untape it and wire my turning signals.
Ah yes Maaco. I think Maaco usually only sprays cars and they dont actually prep the car depending on the package you purchase. Basically whatever you don't cover or mask off, they will paint right over it. :lol: I am guessing it is a single stage acrylic enamel. That means it is not base coat / clear coat. On a budget that is a great paint. On average an entire car can be painted with acrylic enamel for about $200.00.

Other than the wires and exhaust Maaco painted over it looks great. The car looks a LOT better. I really like the before and after pics. That front section where the wires were painted, I would just paint black over all of that. You could even do flat black. It will cover the wires, and all the metal behind it and look very good.

Another hint if you want your car even more shiny. You can wet sand the entire car with 2,000-2,500 grit wet sand paper, then buff. It will look like glass.

Last edited:
Tiny update

Came home to my valances. Will eventually put them on when I'm not lazy.

image.jpg

If you guys wondered what happened to my daily driver (the eg6), well it threw a rod so I had to sell the car. I miss it so much because at one point it cost less than 20 dollars to fill tank =(.
So I mostly had to drive my moms truck this winter.

image.jpg

I have big plans for the car this summer, been saving money for a long time now. Mainly at this point I'm trying to get a RB20DET.

Yes I know I can get an rb25 for a little more... Yes I know the sr20 has the same HP... but I'm set on the rb20 even if eventually it will cost more to upgrade for more power in the long run.

Also plan on rolling the fenders to fix the fitment and upgrading suspenion parts.

image.jpg

Yes I know I can get an rb25 for a little more... Yes I know the sr20 has the same HP... but I'm set on the rb20 even if eventually it will cost more to upgrade for more power in the long run.

Because I am ignorant and don't know engines: why?

Because I am ignorant and don't know engines: why?

I love the sound of the RB engines and they can take more abuse. Sr20 just kinda seems like the KA engine just more rev happy.

Why not stick with the KA?

Just bored with it now. It's sometimes fun when driving but there is a lot of times where I kinda just wish I had more power.

But why go with an RB20 instead of the RB25? It's a very heavy motor that barely makes more power than an SR. You might as well have more displacement instead of less if you're gonna go through the trouble.

I'm not even sure if RB swaps are street legal.

Just bored with it now. It's sometimes fun when driving but there is a lot of times where I kinda just wish I had more power.
Why not build the KA then?

But why go with an RB20 instead of the RB25? It's a very heavy motor that barely makes more power than an SR. You might as well have more displacement instead of less if you're gonna go through the trouble.

I'm not even sure if RB swaps are street legal.

Why not build the KA then?

Because the RB20 can take more abuse, redline to 8000rpm instead of 7000 like the 25 and is cheaper.

I'm pretty sure both the RB and SR are not.

It won't have that awesome sound =P.

yea it would be nice to have that swap. but you got to remember the availability of parts too. you cant just pick up parts from your local autozone, will probably be more expensive in the long run. that's why I plan on going ka-t or vq35.

I never got to drive our Skyline with a healthy RB20 because it had a blockage in a pipe that restricted it and blew smoke. We thought it was a blown turbo so opted to move on to the RB25NEO rather than hope no further damage was caused. Those RB20s can take a lot of abuse and make very healthy power figures. I see them at drift days all the time because people tend to swap them into R31 Skylines to create a cheap drifter. I'm yet to see one let go.

Good choice and good luck man! 👍

Slowly getting cleaned up and looking better. Just awaiting for more parts to come in.

image.jpg

I'm extremely impressed by the wiring specialties harness that I got. Definitely worth the money. Makes the current harness on it look like crap. Pictures just do not do justice.

image.jpg

Hoping everything is here by July.

Sorry for crappy pictures.

Most of my parts came in Thursday. Still have to get the hks air filter, z32 maf, fuel pump, fans, hoses and apexi safc2 or neo.
image.jpg

Received zero lift mounts, cx racing intercooler kit which included a blow off valve. Isis dual core radiator which I currently installed because my current one got destroyed by my A/c fan. Cx racing down pipe so it clears the steering rack and column. Bought post it notes and ziplock bags to keep hold of everything nicely once I'm in the process of the swap. Was going to buy the stuff mentioned earlier in this post but at the moment I'm saving for a good daily driver.

image.jpg

Trying to get a a4 b5, late 90's BMW or just a civic/Camry.

So hopefully I get this swap started by August.

I've always liked this shape of Nissan. It's on my list of cars I want to own at some point. It's cool that you are going with the RB20. I've driven an R32 GTS with the RB20DE and quite enjoyed it. Wasn't super fast but at the time was the most powerful car (on paper) I had driven.

Loving all the new bits you are buying for the swap. Hopefully it's not too hard to get running.

View attachment 434858
View attachment 434860

Hoping to get the RB20 in next weekend. Unfortunately I may not get it running til probably late September or early October thanks to school and other items I need done such as getting the downpipe bunged for the Wideband

Goal:View attachment 434862
So I looked at the pictures without reading and thought *damn you cleaned that up pretty good!* :lol:

Nice! hopefully we wont have to wait long for another update!

Loving all the new bits you are buying for the swap. Hopefully it's not too hard to get running.

I'm hoping its not hard either =/.

Its happening! Good work man.

Thanks!

So I looked at the pictures without reading and thought *damn you cleaned that up pretty good!* :lol:

I wish, I would actually be cleaning the bay now but I have a relative who has "borrowed" our pressure washer.

School is really killing me so I decided painting the engine bay could wait in the future.

I attempted to put the RB in and realized when i was trying to line up the mounts. The mounts were like 6 inches away. Being puzzled I realized I installed the chassis mounts wrong.
image.jpg

So I took out the RB re installed zerolift mounts and decided I should buy better motor mounts while I'm at it and try to put in the RB again.
image.jpg

image.jpg

The RB sits a lot lower than the KA. It's pretty awesome. So after that I added stuff to the engine such as the harness and etc. What I'm stuck on right now which makes me mad is the intercooler piping. I for the love of god can't get the side pipe or whatever it's called to line up. The pipe which is called number 5 doesn't line up at all to piping 4. I can get the first 3 in perfectly but the other two just won't line up.... Besides that awaiting for a few things to arrive in the mail and I will hopefully try to get it tuned once it starts.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back