Just Ginettas just finishedPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 231 comments
catching a kerb and spinning out on the 1st lap in the GT5, I didn't think they were that powerful!

I don't understand this car. Can't count how many times I spined when touched kerb with front left wheel at second to the end corner (left). I do that with all cars I race on this track but no oyher car spins emedently if kerb was touched.

I don't understand this car.
For what would appear to the easiest of the cars to race with, the GT5 is quite tricky to drive at maximum. Rich is usually good in it, he seems to have the knack. Except when he driving off track that is. :)
I tend to use stable now, I find it slightly smoother to drive. It's a bit slower though - which isn't a bad thing.

Sorry can you remind me again, which one will have snow?
Especially for Joe there will be snow at Hockenheim. :mischievous:

Late night last night I "plugged in" to check the Chinese track. It is a

...full throttle to full braking to full throttle to full braking to full .... :crazy::rolleyes:

Signed by Hermann Tilke when F1 could no longer race at nice flowing tracks like ... Brands Hatch.

I think you should spice things up making it like this.

Time accelerated x60 (1 hour for every ingame minute)
Two weather slots, one of them sunny and one of them light rain. Sync to race so we have about 10 minutes for each weather type.

Meanwhile, after getting bored of

...full throttle to full braking to full throttle to full braking to full .... :crazy::yuck:

I browsed the track list searching for something I never did. And found it!

Did you guys know that you can make California Highway and Azure Coast in reverse? :dopey:

Last edited:
Signed by Hermann Tilke when F1 could no longer race at nice flowing tracks like ... Brands Hatch.
It certainly isn't the most exciting track to race on, even a little elevation change would have added a bit more interest. However I think it will suit this format quite well. Plenty of fast wide bits. :)

I browsed the track list searching for something I never did. And found it!
Have you tried the Mercedes ice track at night. It's worth it just to see the auroras.

I have to say that I agree with Mario, in that there are extended periods of flat out acceleration and plenty of hard braking, but I'm really enjoying this track. Each corner has its own character quite different from all the others, and I'm finding it difficult to string together a proper fast lap. Looking forward to Monday.

And, @IfAndOr . Paul, I'm sorry that I won't be able to make the meeting on 25th April, because we'll be away in sunny Scotland, where we're going to meet up with Buybon. That'll be nice.

where we're going to meet up with Buybon. That'll be nice.
It certainly will be. I'm hoping that he's recovered a little more from his very bad encounter with covid. Give him my regards.

Are you staying near Bannochbrae? :)

Results from Zhuhai:

Race 1:
Race1.jpg

Race 2:
Race 2.jpg

Race 3:
Race 3.jpg

Standings:
Monday Teams.jpg

Interesting evening. ;)

While reviewing race 2 I created an edited video of the crash between @half_sourly and @Maxmusmonster that I was asked to look at. It'll give you an idea of how I review incidents.

(Apologies, the sound of the transition effects is a little loud!)

For context this is the last corner on the last lap. Prior to this Half had gone off track during an early lap in the race but with great pace had recovered enough to catch Max up during the final few laps. He'd already tried a few passes but hadn't got one to stick - GT5 cars were having an effect!

I think Half probably would have had the pace to have got the pass onto the straight done, he had the better acceleration out of the corner, but it I'm thinking Max purposely let his car drift out further on the exit to attempt to defend the line, this what caused the contact - and with sticky car physics doing the rest. However from what I can see he didn't deliberately steer into Half's car, I don't think that's Max's nature. Also possibly the different views of both drivers might have had a bearing. Half (I think) uses the quite open bonnet view whereas Max (again I think) uses the more restricted interior view and would have had more difficulty in positioning Half's car.
I think what compounded Half's indignation was that an unwitting Reaggee then came flying around the corner at GT3 speeds and crashed into the side of Half's wayward GT4!

I've given my thoughts above but instead of making a ruling decision I'll ask a jury of my peers (that's all of you) to also give an opinion. If they want. :)

Also I'm thinking of ending the series early. While it has been in some ways successful it's also been a little chaotic at times! Perhaps it's time to move onto something more... normal. :)

I think what compounded Half's indignation was that an unwitting Reaggee then came flying around the corner at GT3 speeds and crashed into the side of Half's wayward GT4!
I'll not comment on the rest here, but re this bit, I didn't even know it happened, so it had no effect on my indignation. I hope that secondary crash did not impede Reaggee's progress.

Good evening everyone I didn't intend to hit half was driffing out all race and last lap half was close and yes I was trying to defend place (its racing not fifa football). You can see no room on the out side and tapped me I thought he touched the grass and spun taking out reaggee did try slowing down but crossed line. Seams like racing insident to me good job you don't do motocross lol. Sorry can demote me a place didn't really even try last race. 🏁🤐. I have enjoyed the series thanks Paul for reviewing but a really has happend to me a before its no big deal. Max

Last edited:
As an, uh, outsider looking in, I've watched most of these videos and really, this is pretty normal stuff. Nobody's being vicious, just a bunch of guys racing hard, throw in limited visibility and a little bit of a skill gap here and there and bumpers get bashed. Looks like a good time, makes me kinda wish I was on PS.

Most of the guys I race with over on the XBox dark side think it's all conversation unless we're trying to take each others wing mirrors off and some pushing and shoving. Bunch of hooligan stock car fans, we'd consider most of this polite.

Looks like a good time,
Oh I think everyone has a good time, well I hope so anyway.:)
There are disagreements on occasion, which I think is inevitable with online racing, but (as I usually say) I think that shows a degree of passion that's needed to keep having a good time. Without a bit of personal investment from the drivers it would be somewhat boring.

You'd have been welcome to join in, it's just a shame you bought the wrong console. :mischievous: ;)
Happy racing. 👍

I don't think anyone is in any doubt that Max is a clean and considerate driver, I've certainly found that to be the case, so it would be unfair to focus too much on this incident which no doubt happened very quickly in the heat of the moment (last corner last lap).

The one thing I'd say is this: given that it is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to pass without incident, it then becomes the responsibility of the defending driver to be reasonably predictable and consistent. I think in this case, Max either needed to leave that space on the outside, or he should have taken the natural racing line drifting out from the apex to the outside kerb, thereby maximising exit speed. Half wasn't nearly alongside on corner entry either, so Max could have gone in with a wider line to improve chances of staying ahead. Then, as Max closes the door on the exit (in a predictable way) Half would have time to react and cut back inside, and it would be a race to the finish line. The problem is that the space was there on the outside but Max adjusts very late, and Half doesn't have time to react. So if you're defending, just make a decision and stick by it, then let the overtaking car do the work.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful. I've learnt this the hard way as well, in my ACC races I've often had faster guys behind, and realised that you either need to stick to your line and make them do the work, or make clear that you're leaving space, don't be in between the two. If you follow your line with confidence and someone goes for the divebomb, it's on them if it doesn't work out.

Regarding the series, I'm still enjoying it but don't mind either way. Maybe it's easiest to take a vote next week after the races, as not everyone comes on here but most should be there (Zolon and anyone else that can't make it could cast their vote on here beforehand or by proxy).

Oh I think everyone has a good time, well I hope so anyway.:)
There are disagreements on occasion, which I think is inevitable with online racing, but (as I usually say) I think that shows a degree of passion that's needed to keep having a good time. Without a bit of personal investment from the drivers it would be somewhat boring.

You'd have been welcome to join in, it's just a shame you bought the wrong console. :mischievous: ;)
Happy racing. 👍
Story of my life, mate, story of my life. Been watching this one with some interest as it's a different idea and I like the Ginetta's.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.
I think it's very concise and pretty much hits the nail on the head (British saying).

The former goes without saying, try to overtake cleanly, but it's equally important to try to defend cleanly. In the heat of the moment I know it's not always easy, but if we try to stick to that mantra all will be good. Or better at least.

Regarding the series
Yes regarding that. I need a few days to organise something so it won't be next week. So I think I'll run the last race at Indy (road) and then move onto something completely different. Well not completely I suppose, it's still PC2, but you know what I mean. I'm thinking of maybe road cars* for a change. I've not used them in a series before, but they are a bit calmer and often give closer racing. As usual "watch this space"
* Subject to change on a passing whim!

@Saltyjoe90, thank you for providing an opinion; I know it is not easy to do so among peers.

Glad to move on from this week, but not without addressing a couple of trite and dismissive comments.
Thanks for the reply but not nothing to worry about end of the day its a game nobody injured or bankrupt lol. 🕹️
Neither did the sun explode, the Houses of Parliament crumble, or Greggs run out of sausage rolls. But those facts and outcomes are red herrings; they bear no relevance to the question at hand, which is whether a driver displayed poor sportsmanship (as they did at Laguna when brake checking me 100m from the usual braking point for the Corkscrew and sending me off).

Most of the guys I race with over on the XBox dark side think it's all conversation unless we're trying to take each others wing mirrors off and some pushing and shoving. Bunch of hooligan stock car fans, we'd consider most of this polite.
That is a fallacy of relative privation and condones poor behaviour. It is like asking me to gloss over being mugged at gunpoint because in the next street people are getting their limbs cut off with chainsaws. Unfortunately, pointing out that worse things happen elsewhere addresses neither the mugging that occurred nor my lack of lunch money.

I'll say no more on the matter; the other driver and I appear to have different views on intention behind, cause of and ability to avoid the incident, and no amount of forum to-and-fro will resolve that.

See you on Monday.

Hi all!

Here’s my take on Zhuhai.

I felt quite comfortable in this track, so managed to get good performance with all the GTs, and get the best results I had in the series (yay!! 🥳 ).

On the topic of the race incidents, I’d just add that the game is lacking the view of the sidemirrors, which makes it very hard to know whereabouts of others in the battles during the race. The blind spots are massive! (I considered racing with the chase view, but I would lose too much on the racing experience, so it’s not worth it for me)

I won’t be able to join the next race, but I’m happy with whatever you decide regarding this series. It was the first one I participated, and I confess it was a lot competitive and fun for me. Thanks everyone :cheers:.
Also I’m very pleased with the group I’ve been allocated. I think most races, or even all, were competitive between us. :)

Hope I’m able to join on whatever you decide to do next :D.

Last edited:
tal
the game is lacking the view of the sidemirrors, which makes it very hard to know whereabouts of others in the battles during the race. The blind spots are massive!
You could perhaps try moving the seat position rearwards a little, it might help in bringing the mirrors into view. There is an option to turn the mirrors on or off, I presume you have them on?

Also there's the proximity markers, they might not the best indicator but are still useful to give an idea of what's around you. Also also, some drivers have the spotter set to always on in the options, this way he will continually give you updates of nearby cars. He can get a bit annoying on occasions though. :)

Whatever you do it's always difficult looking at a single flat screen to judge fully your surroundings.

Anyway I'm glad you are enjoying the races. 👍

Back