Just Realized GT5 Features the world's deadliest tracks...

  • Thread starter Thread starter SuperShouden
  • 102 comments
  • 13,825 views

SuperShouden

(Banned)
Messages
7,542
Messages
SuperShouden
GT5 is the first racing game to feature the top five deadliest race tracks in the world.

The tracks are (with number of competitor fatalities):

1. Indy - 56
2. Nurburgring - 48
3. Monza - 30
4. Daytona - 24
5. Le Mans - 24


So....yeah....you could do a "tour of death" race series in GT5...and only in GT5.
 
I'd expect Nurburgring to have a higher fatality rate than Indy, but interesting information nonetheless.


Parker
 
Wow I never knew it was that many
 
Indy has a lot, wow! I guess if you consider the tracks history and the kinds of crazy fast cars that have ran there, it makes sense..
 
Mac K
Indy has a lot, wow! I guess if you consider the tracks history and the kinds of crazy fast cars that have ran there, it makes sense..

Yeah, but Nurburgring has how many people go around it every day?
 
Didn't like 50 people die on le mans in 1956
 
Yeah just remembered that thanks btw i can't think of I time I crashed at Indy. Ever.
 
Didn't like 50 people die on le mans in 1956

And it was 86 people who died with about a hundred more injuried in 1955. That is the worst crash in auto racing history. And it's one of the reasons Mercedes is a little la Sarthe shy...that and the last time they were there, two of the cars they brought with them flipped throughout qualifying, practice, warmup and the actual race.

But agin...only 1 driver died that day in 1955....and several safety features were implemented afterwards. (like getting rid of the big ol' dirt mound and replacing it with a barrier and a fence. Also, notice how most race cars don't have the slopped backing anymore? Even the Porsches have a wing there.

But yeah...Indy's deathtoll is high because of all the open wheel racing done there....and...Indy's been around for over 100 years.
 
Just google Indy 1900's and you see why so many died.
First dirt track, then brickyard. And no concreet wall to stop you.

But i agree that it's a suprise that the old Nurburgring and Le Mans didn't take more lives.
Fear of cornering perhaps.
 
I have a theory at indy people were always pushing world record speed and in 1911 were trying to go as fast as possible like 70 mph whereas at nurburgring people were obviously cautious and the cars probably weren't as fast and a crash at 30 mph is alot better then a crash at 70 mph btw the stupid IPod word guesser tried to change nurburgring to nut urchin :lol:
 
I also think that, you go to Nurburgring or Le Man, and you KNOW how dangerous it can be. I mean, most of the time, you're flying by trees more than anything. And both of those tracks are run on city roads. Where as, tracks like Indy and Daytona are purpose built tracks, and yeah, they're surfaces have changed over the years. Daytona started out on the beach...and Indy was bricks for a while and if you're raced the new Rome track in GT5, you know how well cars handle on things like brick and cobblestone: not well.
 
rocko100
I have a theory at indy people were always pushing world record speed and in 1911 were trying to go as fast as possible like 70 mph whereas at nurburgring people were obviously cautious and the cars probably weren't as fast and a crash at 30 mph is alot better then a crash at 70 mph btw the stupid IPod word guesser tried to change nurburgring to nut urchin :lol:

"Nut urchin". Thanks for a good chuckle.
 
The death count of Nürburgring doesn't take in to account the people who die yearly at the tourist days (mostly motorcyclists). I have heard that they have neat trick to pretty the body count in those tourist cases. In practise you are only counted in Nordschleife fatalities if you are anounced dead at the track but if you are taken to the hospital and are pronounced dead there you aren't counted as Nürburgring fatality. :)
 
Sohvakettu
The death count of Nürburgring doesn't take in to account the people who die yearly at the tourist days (mostly motorcyclists). I have heard that they have neat trick to pretty the body count in those tourist cases. In practise you are only counted in Nordschleife fatalities if you are anounced dead at the track but if you are taken to the hospital and are pronounced dead there you aren't counted as Nürburgring fatality. :)

Yeah have heard there are multiple motorcycle deaths there every year.
 
GT5 is only missing Rouen and the 1960's layout of Spa-Francorchamps. Possibly the deadliest tracks ever but sooo much fun to drive in a game.

rouen57.jpg


trk_spa.jpg

(ok, this is 1930s Spa, but check out that hairpin with similar elevation change to Eau Rouge! :scared: :lol:)
 
Last edited:
RIP

Dale-Earnhardt.jpg
 
GT5 is the first racing game to feature the top five deadliest race tracks in the world.

The tracks are (with number of competitor fatalities):

1. Indy - 56
2. Nurburgring - 48
3. Monza - 30
4. Daytona - 24
5. Le Mans - 24


So....yeah....you could do a "tour of death" race series in GT5...and only in GT5.

I could be wrong, but I heard around 100-200 people have died at the nurburgring
 
I could be wrong, but I heard around 100-200 people have died at the nurburgring

I think that list only includes race drivers. If we were counting tourists, the Nurburgring would be WAY up there.
 
I imagine the Indy track you are refferring to is the Oval right? It would make sense, given the speeds one can reach (Especially how Daytona and Talladega allow for far greater speeds 0.o )
 
I've never heard about the 1955 Le Mans disaster, till now. According to wikipedia it's "the most catastrophic accident in motorsports history". :eek:

And i am very surprised that you can find a record of it on youtube, after more than 50 years now:




Unbelievable that there got 83 spectators killed, by a car. I would understand if it was by a airplane like in the 2 worst air show accidents, Sknyliv airshow disaster, 27 July 2002, Lviv/Ukraine & Rammstein airshow disaster, August 28, 1988, Rammstein/Germany, but it was "only" a car, omg. :scared:


Btw. there is also a long version about the Sknyliv airshow disaster in the web, just google for "Sknyliv airshow disaster" & you'll find it. It was too shocking to post it here, really a nightmare. :nervous:
 
Last edited:
My dad used to race at Norschleife quite a lot in the late 70s and 80s.

He told me about a guy misjudging a corner and his formula car ended up hanging from the trees. Can't remember what corner it was, will ask him later today.

Also, they never heard about what happened to the driver.

There were drivers that only did the practice sessions because they were too afraid doing the race. Alain Prost was one of them one year if i don't remember wrong.
 
GT5 is the first racing game to feature the top five deadliest race tracks in the world.

The tracks are (with number of competitor fatalities):

1. Indy - 56
2. Nurburgring - 48
3. Monza - 30
4. Daytona - 24
5. Le Mans - 24

Wikipedia rules. How did we get by without Google and Wikipedia?

So....yeah....you could do a "tour of death" race series in GT5...and only in GT5.

Had to get that obligatory worship in there, I guess. I mean, it's really no big deal at all; not as though anybody thought, "Man, we really need a game with the world's top five high-fatality tracks." I don't recall playing other racing games and thinking, "Man, it sucks that the game doesn't have all of the tracks with the most driver fatalities." But, hey, whatever. Fabricated praise is still praise, I suppose.
 
wow the le mans crash is really disturbing :nervous:
 
That's one massive incident at le mans. You can see how easy it for fatalities due to how the pit lane is part of the race track, and the same for the spectators.
 
I've never heard about the 1955 Le Mans disaster, till now. According to wikipedia it's "the most catastrophic accident in motorsports history". :eek:

And i am very surprised that you can find a record of it on youtube, after more than 50 years now:

...

Unbelievable that there got 83 spectators killed, by a car. I would understand if it was by a airplane like in the 2 worst air show accidents, Sknyliv airshow disaster, 27 July 2002, Lviv/Ukraine & Rammstein airshow disaster, August 28, 1988, Rammstein/Germany, but it was "only" a car, omg. :scared:


Btw. there is also a long version about the Sknyliv airshow disaster in the web, just google for "Sknyliv airshow disaster" & you'll find it. It was too shocking to post it here, really a nightmare. :nervous:

The engine and rear axle broke loose from the car and ploughed through the spectators on the start-finish straight at head-height. There were no catch fences, just a low guard rail which the car easily mounted. It's a miracle more weren't killed. It's also pretty terrible that the race continued. I'm sure there's a thread about it on these fora somewhere.
 
Btw. there is also a long version about the Sknyliv airshow disaster in the web, just google for "Sknyliv airshow disaster" & you'll find it. It was too shocking to post it here, really a nightmare. :nervous:

I just couldn't look at parts of the video I watched, the guy actually went up to a body and it was severed in half.. :indiff:
 
I just couldn't look at parts of the video I watched, the guy actually went up to a body and it was severed in half.. :indiff:

Like I said, a nightmare. Because it's not HD you can only imagine what some "parts" are, but that alone is enough. :nervous:
 
Back