Just Realized GT5 Features the world's deadliest tracks...

  • Thread starter Thread starter SuperShouden
  • 102 comments
  • 13,825 views
Yeah, he has an interesting accent. Then again, I hear it quite often round 'ere.
His narrowboat programme was interesting, though. Funny that a "lunatic" petrolhead would be interested in such mundane things :D



Monza's oval was indeed dangerous. The concrete sections used for the bankings had sagged, like they did at Brooklands, so it was incredibly bumpy as you went over the joins, where the supports were. This meant that, in the 60s in particular, the cars were constantly bottoming out. Bottoming out means no grip, so yeah it was pretty dangerous! Crashing was much like Indy in the early days; you tended to fall off the top of the banking, and Monza's is very steep (tall)!

Fuji's first corner used to be a long way further down the straight, so cars were going even faster, and it was a banked curve. The only trouble was that you dropped into it, instead of climbing up it. This had a tendency to unsettle the car and again catapult you over the top of the banking which was very wide (hence tall), and curved like a ramp instead of being "flat" like Monza or most other ovals.

Even the Fuji in the 80's and 90s had that last sweeper before the straight, and I know I hit the wall coming out of that corner a lot....imagine doing that at 100+ in real life. And that's why that sweeper is gone.
 
imagine if the last corner of deep forest was real. ;) death trap if you go it without braking.
 
Even the Fuji in the 80's and 90s had that last sweeper before the straight, and I know I hit the wall coming out of that corner a lot....imagine doing that at 100+ in real life. And that's why that sweeper is gone.

Yeah, the old final corner contributed to the high speeds down the straight, but it was the banked first corner that was the killer.

 
Kinda makes you glad that Fuji DIDN'T become a NASCAR course...'cause...well, they would've had to redo the banking on it, wouldn't they.
 
Well it somewhat would make sense to have some of the most deadliest tracks in the game, that way idiots like me can practice and try to slightly understand the track in a safe virtual environment than to take my car out to said track and ram into a wall doing 100+ because my brakes failed or something like that. :lol:


[/2 cents]
 
When I read the title of this post I was sure you would go the easy route and pick the the long form 'ring. Or that you would pick the hard route and go with Macau. The ring kills a few amateur drivers a year to this day. And Macau has kills many motorcycleists. Fuji, however, before it was changed greatly was quite deadly in that it had some of the more amateurish Japanese series racing on a track with a mile and a half straight in to a wall errrr right hand sweeper. Also sarthe, although also massively changed killed over a hundered people in one day in '55
 
Last edited:
Wow you can really see how La Sarthe changed over time.
 
I wouldn't be too concerned if Kaz raced on some "top 3" dangerous tracks in real life a bit more.

GT6 painfully needs a new direction.
 
Wow you can really see how La Sarthe changed over time.
I hope you aren't being antagonistic... A lot of people presume that "Old LeSarthe" is just the Mulsanne without chicanes. since '55 sarthe has added (among other things) guardrails, Chicanes on the straight (and the names thereof), Porsche curves, Ford chicane, Dunlop curve, Mullsanne courner, Dunlop, Whitehouse, added 3 turns and two straights from mulssane to Indianapolis. Moved the pits (twice), moved the grandstands back (twice)... They have even moved the memorial to the victims of the '55 crash.
Perhaps the reason why they have included dangerous tracks because they are the most challenging. One thing I wish they would do is replace the new tarmac with gravel runoff areas that they replaced. There are a couple tracks where time can be made up by taking runoff area even with "real" off-track grip... BTW, wtf is 'low' off-track grip supposed to be, wouldn't it be more accurate labled "high" off track grip?
 
Hey we should do a tour of death this Tuesday. Anybody down to do it.
 
Hey we should do a tour of death this Tuesday. Anybody down to do it.
That would actually be incredibly hard to piece together as except maybe indy, Races before about 1978 weren't really televised, especially in their entireity.... might be kinda fun thought... Morbid, but fun.
 
...
There are a couple tracks where time can be made up by taking runoff area even with "real" off-track grip... BTW, wtf is 'low' off-track grip supposed to be, wouldn't it be more accurate labled "high" off track grip?

It's off-track / wet grip reduction. Real / Low.
 
Griffith500
It's off-track / wet grip reduction. Real / Low.

Lol. I know. But in my opinion, "low" grip should be called "high" grip. This would cut down on confusion in online rooms. 9/10 times when I ask to change grip to real, it just confuses everyone because people think I want the setting labled "low". This is especially problematic in that it seems when PD made the setting they translated it differently in every language.
 
there are more than 400 people that died on the Ring.
Your list is somewhat flawed or the topic does not fit (e.g. only professional race drives who have a barnd.team and died during an international race series on a sunday between 12:00 and 15:00 oClock.
 
Lol. I know. But in my opinion, "low" grip should be called "high" grip. This would cut down on confusion in online rooms. 9/10 times when I ask to change grip to real, it just confuses everyone because people think I want the setting labled "low". This is especially problematic in that it seems when PD made the setting they translated it differently in every language.

I suspect that this is the root of the problem, rather than the actual labels. If it were consistent, there wouldn't be an issue. Although, I will admit it "feels" backwards in the English localisation. Still, I can read, so it's OK. :p
 
I suspect that this is the root of the problem, rather than the actual labels. If it were consistent, there wouldn't be an issue. Although, I will admit it "feels" backwards in the English localisation. Still, I can read, so it's OK. :p

I don't like how they allowing every room hoster to change the regulations to their own.

It would be much better & easier to set up 3 different difficulty levels, "Amateur" (all aids allowed & no penalties), "Profi" (only ABS: 1, TCS: 1 & medium penalties) & "Expert" (no aids & full penalties).

Then you would know at least what you can expect when you join a room. :D:tup:
 
You know, it has crossed my mind now and then about the Drivers that have died, especially at Monza, Daytona, LeMans and Indy as I fly around those tracks in my safe virtual world. I have the utmost respect for the skills and nerves required to do it for a living. Look at Daytona last Saturday night. Thank God for well built race cars...
 
Ironically, I think the paved version of Indy has seen the most deaths. But, it's because of some of those deaths at Indy and Monza that Indy Car, Formula 1 an kart cars have all seen major improvements to the safety of open wheel racers like the carbon fiber safety tub the drivers sit in. But, I know from driving around Indy...you can take those corners REALLY fast, but if you miss a turn in mark, you're gonna hit the wall and you're gonna it it hard.

Memorial at Monza:

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_2.jpg
 
Last edited:
"Seventh Settimo Milanese thoroughbred horse auction, 23rd September"

That's a pretty abstract memorial!

EDIT: "Settimo Milanese" is a place, 9km (or about 7 Roman miles) outside Milan.
Are we sure that is a memorial, and not just an ill-placed advert?
 
Last edited:
"Seventh Settimo Milanese thoroughbred horse auction, 23rd September"

That's a pretty abstract memorial!

EDIT: "Settimo Milanese" is a place, 9km (or about 7 Roman miles) outside Milan.
Are we sure that is a memorial, and not just an ill-placed advert?

Yeah, I don't know.
 
How about the AVUS in Germany. Not in GT of course but I'd be amazed if it didn't have the highest number of driver deaths.
 
How about the AVUS in Germany. Not in GT of course but I'd be amazed if it didn't have the highest number of driver deaths.

AVUS is no longer in use, having been shut down because it was so dangerous. However, it was shortened several times, they added banking and then too them away for the same reason the Monza oval is no-longer used. But, the 5 mile course would have been pretty dangerous...but the short, 1 mile course wouldn't have been nearly as deadly.
 
Holy crap that Video is raw! The driver was dead and still smoking on the track, one poor guy had a steel frame fall on him. Just tragic.....that was before retaining fences I suppose.
 
I've never heard about the 1955 Le Mans disaster, till now. According to wikipedia it's "the most catastrophic accident in motorsports history". :eek:

And i am very surprised that you can find a record of it on youtube, after more than 50 years now:




Unbelievable that there got 83 spectators killed, by a car. I would understand if it was by a airplane like in the 2 worst air show accidents, Sknyliv airshow disaster, 27 July 2002, Lviv/Ukraine & Rammstein airshow disaster, August 28, 1988, Rammstein/Germany, but it was "only" a car, omg. :scared:


Btw. there is also a long version about the Sknyliv airshow disaster in the web, just google for "Sknyliv airshow disaster" & you'll find it. It was too shocking to post it here, really a nightmare. :nervous:


I'm surprised the race continued after the accident. A modern race would've been red flagged and probably cut short if 83 people died.
 
But they did ban racing in Switzerland to this day and even in Italy for a year so it did cause some pretty long lasting red flags...
 
SuperShouden
I'm surprised the race continued after the accident. A modern race would've been red flagged and probably cut short if 83 people died.

I think back in the 80's they had a very similar accident at a NASCAR Event where a car went airborne or a Tire came off and landed in the stands and people were killed. Then they put up a fence that keeps debris from flying into the stands.
 
Yeah just remembered that thanks btw i can't think of I time I crashed at Indy. Ever.

well when 50ish indy cars are doing laps at 200 plus and being only a few feet away a crash is bound to happen
 
Yeah, statistically, you can't have more than about 25 cars on a track without an accident.
 
I'm surprised the race continued after the accident. A modern race would've been red flagged and probably cut short if 83 people died.


I believe that part of the reason the race was not stopped was because of the need to get emergency vehicles in and out of the area. This would have been greatly hampered if the race had been called off, and a mass exodus of people from the area had ensued.

The driver of the Jaguar involved was Mike Hawthorn (1958 F1 Champion), and the Austin-Healey driver was Lance Macklin.

Levegh was famous for attempting to run the 24 Hours solo a few years earlier, and was leading by four laps when his engine failed in the last hour of the race.
 
Back