Kaz interview on Eurogamer - Standards are here to stay! Poll added

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 1,699 comments

Kaz says the standards are going to be in GT7. Is this a deal breaker for you?

• If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Votes: 171 19.5%
  • I will buy GT7 regardless.

Votes: 498 56.9%
  • On the fence, I'll wait for the reviews and then decide.

Votes: 206 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To a certain extent we already know what state it's going to be in. It's going to have standard cars in it, on PS4.

I think it's more about it being satisfying when the actual results of that design decision come to light. Everyone would be happier if the game turned out to be really good, but Polyphony aren't making it easier on themselves by stating that they'll stick with the 800 pre-2005 models they have.
I am totally in the 'against standard cars' camp but I don't see how anyone could get happiness out of the game turning out bad? Aside from the people who just point-blank refuse to believe that PD never cock-up.

Looking at your quote in your signature and then that comment you just made Toko, I know you feel hard done by from the GT series but surely this isn't what you would want? To brag about the state of a series you once loved because of the mistakes it is making?
It's those times when you can't take things serious anymore, especially when it has disappointed you many times.
I know you are buying GT7 on PS4 so don't talk so much rubbish TokoTurismo you will buy it I guarantee it because If you name is ever on the GT7 forum talking about the game that means you have play it.
Bahaha! Whatever you say dude. :lol::lol::lol:

I am totally in the 'against standard cars' camp but I don't see how anyone could get happiness out of the game turning out bad? Aside from the people who just point-blank refuse to believe that PD never cock-up.

It's not happiness because the game turned out bad. It's vindication that your analysis of the design decisions that led to that failure was right. It's OK to feel good about being right that other people were wrong. Especially if those people are paid millions of dollars to make games, or are internet trolls.

Like I said, nobody really wants a bad game. But there is fun to be had calling their poor design early, and seeing those calls be correct.

I think we need a clarification from Kaz on this. Will the standard cars have updated sound ? Will they be used by AI in single player? Will they be upgraded ? If yes how much ? Will they be in dealership alongside the normal models ?

The way he just throw it out there nonchalantly implies that he might simply repeat GT6 implementation aka pretending they are all the same, avoiding a clear separation.

Don't do it Kaz.

The Epic Whining and Crying Community thanks you for this valuable feedback.

Hey, long time reader first time poster here.

Verry sensitive topic this, To me the standards should just stay.
There is so many unique cars on that list that we would lose that I wouldn't like. They already stated that they are upgrading as many of the standards they can when they come available so that way the quality will arive aswell. Just a separation free DLC would be the best for both sides of this arguement.

Anyways even with the standards in the game others can still enjoy the game without ever touching one of them, so they are just added value to me that is still verry fun content. If the standards are upgraded to semi-premium (which I do expect) I don't see much reason anyways to complain. Those models look pretty amazing and I'd love for all the standards to be treated that way.

It seems to me that PD is working to rework most of the standards into premiums and that would just be awesome, but in the meantime before they are done they let us still enjoy those cars in their less detailed state. Which is perfectly fine to me!

Looking at your quote in your signature and then that comment you just made Toko, I know you feel hard done by from the GT series but surely this isn't what you would want? To brag about the state of a series you once loved because of the mistakes it is making?
Yeah. Bandwagoning, blindly pro-GT Toko was, if anything, quite a bit more tolerable than bandwagoning, blindly anti-GT Toko is.

Hey, long time reader first time poster here.

There is so many unique cars on that list that we would lose that I wouldn't like. They already stated that they are upgrading as many of the standards they can when they come available so that way the quality will arive aswell. Just a separation free DLC would be the best for both sides of this arguement.

Anyways even with the standards in the game others can still enjoy the game without ever touching one of them, so they are just added value to me that is still verry fun content. If the standards are upgraded to semi-premium (which I do expect) I don't see much reason anyways to complain. Those models look pretty amazing and I'd love for all the standards to be treated that way.

It seems to me that PD is working to rework most of the standards into premiums and that would just be awesome, but in the meantime before they are done they let us still enjoy those cars in their less detailed state. Which is perfectly fine to me!
Welcome to :gtpflag:. You jumped straight into the fire and skipped the frying pan altogether.:lol: This is one of the most heated topics on GTP. Good luck and enjoy your stay:tup:👍

You see the major problem is that the no-people don't consider that as an option. Even when their priority conditions are satisfied(ban from online and offline) there still remain the porting issue. They belive this would turn GT in to a global joke. You can't fix it. It's no way out.

You see the major problem is that the no-people don't consider that as an option. Even when their priority conditions are satisfied(ban from online and offline) there still remain the porting issue. They belive this would turn GT in to a global joke. You can't fix it. It's no way out.
And the no people wouldn't consider it an option to leave standards out either, both sides are well entrenched. It should be a very real concern that GT turns into a Global joke, reputation in business and in the gaming world means a lot and people do read reviews. Haven't other game series crashed and burned because they recycled content or didn't improve fast enough and got surpassed by other games? Is there a link between GT5/6 getting the worst reviews of the series and reviewers harping on standards each time, and the poor sales of GT6? If we could answer that question we'd know definitively which way to go but we don't.

Kaz is a hipster?

Actually, that explains a LOT.
I wonder if Kaz reads this thread and gets pissed off enough to refuse to communicate with the fans for so long (I guess when I called him full retard and crackhead for including standards in next-gen that didn't help).

The influence of GT on other devs may have been apparent in the past, but I think now it's not the case. FM1 and 2 looked a lot like GT to an average user, but that's in the past. FM5 and GT6 came out at roughly the same time and playing both right now, I'm not seeing any influences of one on another. The two teams behind the series have gone 2 completely separate ways in pretty much every single aspect of the games.
Yeah that's true.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not happiness because the game turned out bad. It's vindication that your analysis of the design decisions that led to that failure was right. It's OK to feel good about being right that other people were wrong. Especially if those people are paid millions of dollars to make games, or are internet trolls.

Like I said, nobody really wants a bad game. But there is fun to be had calling their poor design early, and seeing those calls be correct.
Let's call it by its right name shall we. And yes, it's sometimes satisfying. :)
Although in this case I think I would just be depressed.

Oh you will... To have a laugh at hearing how bad the game is, and me telling you "You should have listened to us." :sly::sly:
I don't really understand this comment, or the mentality behind it.

Let's call it by its right name shall we. And yes, it's sometimes satisfying. :)
Although in this case I think I would just be depressed.

I don't really understand this comment, or the mentality behind it.
The explanation for it is in the post you just made. Have you never warned someone about something, been denied, got adamant, insisted, got excited..still got denied? Then they went ahead and did it anyway, whatever you warned them about happened..and you've never felt a tiny twinge of vindication at being right? If you haven't then you're an emotional robot. Even if you didn't shout out loud about it or rub it in their face, it still feels much better to be right than wrong.

And the no people wouldn't consider it an option to leave standards out either, both sides are well entrenched. It should be a very real concern that GT turns into a Global joke, reputation in business and in the gaming world means a lot and people do read reviews. Haven't other game series crashed and burned because they recycled content or didn't improve fast enough and got surpassed by other games? Is there a link between GT5/6 getting the worst reviews of the series and reviewers harping on standards each time, and the poor sales of GT6? If we could answer that question we'd know definitively which way to go but we don't.
I said there is no solution!
Worst reviews apart GT5-6 are still the best racing games on PS3 with best selling numbers. If Pcars ( maybe AC , if it came to PS4) or Drive Club take the lead on PS4 i won't cry and whennie obout it.

Edit: And if you think losing the no.1 will destroy PD... You might be wrong on that.;)

Last edited:
The explanation for it is in the post you just made. Have you never warned someone about something, been denied, got adamant, insisted, got excited..still got denied? Then they went ahead and did it anyway, whatever you warned them about happened..and you've never felt a tiny twinge of vindication at being right? If you haven't then you're an emotional robot. Even if you didn't shout out loud about it or rub it in their face, it still feels much better to be right than wrong.
I guess I'm underestimating how passionate he is about the game. :)

It does feel better to be right instead of wrong but to be honest I wouldn't give 2 craps about being wrong if GT7 blew my expectations out the water.

I am a fan of the series after all, and unlike situations were being right merits something, the only thing being right would merit in this situation is that GT is halfway down a very slippy slope. If anyone would actually prefer to be right over GT becoming a great again I'm not even sure what to think.

57.4% Will buy GT7 regardless of standards are in.

19.7% If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Wow look at the difference standard haters.

Last edited:
It does feel better to be right instead of wrong but to be honest I wouldn't give 2 craps about being wrong if GT7 blew my expectations out the water.

I am a fan of the series after all, and unlike situations were being right merits something, the only thing being right would merit in this situation is that GT is halfway down a very slippy slope. If anyone would actually prefer to be right over GT becoming a great again I'm not even sure what to think.
You worded this much better than I did, but this is exactly how I feel. :)

Sometimes the only thing that brings about real change is a shock to the system. Gentle prodding and positive encouragement doesn't work for everyone and everything, especially in business, sometimes you have to hit bottom to realize you're screwed up. This is a fact of life. Maybe it applies to this situation, maybe not. I don't want to see GT nosedive m but IMO it already has. If it continues, that will be the marketplace telling PD that we want real racing, we aren't happy with lower quality assets, we want a better roster of cars etc. Chances are they'll really reach out to the fans at that point and do a rewrite from the ground up, coming back bigger and stronger than ever.

42.6% of fans either won't buy the game or are on the fence about it. You think that's a good outcome for this poll? The truth is, and it'll hurt, those 57.4% of fans will buy anything PD will put out, you don't have to do anything special to get them. The success or failure of the next game will reside with getting as many of the 42.6% that aren't going to buy it or wait for reviews. If those numbers played out to the entire fanbase, gaining just 5 or 10% of those 42.6% could mean another million units sold.

From what I've read online (you can correct me if I am wrong) GT6 sold a sixth part of what GT5 sold. Now you have based on this little poll that doesn't prove much, that they have managed to alienate an extra 20 per cent of fans. Way to go PD!

Sometimes the only thing that brings about real change is a shock to the system. Gentle prodding and positive encouragement doesn't work for everyone and everything, especially in business, sometimes you have to hit bottom to realize you're screwed up. This is a fact of life. Maybe it applies to this situation, maybe not. I don't want to see GT nosedive m but IMO it already has. If it continues, that will be the marketplace telling PD that we want real racing, we aren't happy with lower quality assets, we want a better roster of cars etc. Chances are they'll really reach out to the fans at that point and do a rewrite from the ground up, coming back bigger and stronger than ever.

42.6% of fans either won't buy the game or are on the fence about it. You think that's a good outcome for this poll? The truth is, and it'll hurt, those 57.4% of fans will buy anything PD will put out, you don't have to do anything special to get them. The success or failure of the next game will reside with getting as many of the 42.6% that aren't going to buy it or wait for reviews. If those numbers played out to the entire fanbase, gaining just 5 or 10% of those 42.6% could mean another million units sold.
The problem is with PD we will never know what motivates them to make decisions. All the recent marketing ploys seem to suggest that money is a big factor, as expected, but reading that the course maker...something the fans prioritize, is still only in beta really shocked me.

It does make you wonder a tad. :indiff:

Of course, I'm not saying that all game developers don't take back-handers money wise(for example a Hot Wheels Forza DLC pack...with cars wanted by the fans) but I've said it once, I will say it one thousand times...PD's priorities are all over the place.

*Cough, cough* You really need to stop now... :rolleyes:
Yeah. Bandwagoning, blindly pro-GT Toko was, if anything, quite a bit more tolerable than bandwagoning, blindly anti-GT Toko is.
I thought some people hated blindly pro-GT Toko. I actually like the way I am nowadays, especially having to be realistic and not felt for PD's traps of disappointment. :sly:

The problem is with PD we will never know what motivates them to make decisions. All the recent marketing ploys seem to suggest that money is a big factor, as expected, but reading that the course maker...something the fans prioritize, is still only in beta really shocked me.
Money/sales is the motivator. I believe Kaz has a vision and a dream and lofty personal goals and aspirations and he plays them out in GT and in his real life. What makes that possible is money/fame/connections/prestige. He's the creator of the greatest driving game franchise in history and that opens a lot of doors. If the sales continue to decline, that's like having an STD in business, people start to disassociate themselves from you and look for greener pastures. Sometimes it forces you to take a hard look at what you are doing and you do a reboot. Sometimes you start making bad decisions, like recycling 10 year old assets into a state of the art game.

Without the money/sales, everything falls apart. No more GTAcademy, no more racing career, no more game, just a footnote on Wikipedia. The money must continue to flow in order for Kaz to be Kaz. All their decisions, good or bad, will be in that light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back