Kaz interview on Eurogamer - Standards are here to stay! Poll added

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 1,699 comments

Kaz says the standards are going to be in GT7. Is this a deal breaker for you?

• If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Votes: 171 19.5%
  • I will buy GT7 regardless.

Votes: 498 56.9%
  • On the fence, I'll wait for the reviews and then decide.

Votes: 206 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a new poll asking if people prefer graphical quality or game play mechanics.

Money/sales is the motivator. I believe Kaz has a vision and a dream and lofty personal goals and aspirations and he plays them out in GT and in his real life. What makes that possible is money/fame/connections/prestige. He's the creator of the greatest driving game franchise in history and that opens a lot of doors. If the sales continue to decline, that's like having an STD in business, people start to disassociate themselves from you and look for greener pastures. Sometimes it forces you to take a hard look at what you are doing and you do a reboot. Sometimes you start making bad decisions, like recycling 10 year old assets into a state of the art game.

Without the money/sales, everything falls apart. No more GTAcademy, no more racing career, no more game, just a footnote on Wikipedia. The money must continue to flow in order for Kaz to be Kaz. All their decisions, good or bad, will be in that light.

Well if people around him continue to tell him that he's a perfectionist and he doesn't care to look at the progress competition has made, it'll be hard for him to notice that his beloved franchise has gone bad a few years ago already.

I wonder if some high executive kinda guy (Zappa pun for those who like him ;) ) has had the audacity to be honest to him and let him know he has to up his game.

We need a new poll asking if people prefer graphical quality or game play mechanics.

Why not both? It'll be on PS4 for crying out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day all players want is a good game regardless of standard cars in or out of the game because what we are talking about is a no win win situation here on this topic because everybody got there own opinion on this.

I went a bit to far on some members like TokoTurismo sorry my friend:tup:.

Well if people around him continue to tell him that he's a perfectionist and he doesn't care to look at the progress competition has made, it'll be hard for him to notice that his beloved franchise has gone bad a few years ago already.
The fact is though, GT5 sold really well, more than 10 million copies, so that's kind of a rubber stamp to continue doing what you are doing. A lot of people here have dismissed the GT6 sales slump on a lack of advertising and end of cycle for the PS3 and Kaz may do the same and may not link depressed sales to a poor game, and indeed he might be right.

Sooner or later I think we have to come to the realization that maybe the game some of us want with all premium content, awesome realistic sounds, real racing and the feel of being at the track, real sim mechanics etc.etc.etc. isn't the game the majority of fans want..nor...dare I say it..the game that will sell the best.

Maybe most fans really prefer the rubber banding AI, the simplistic approach to the game, more cars and tracks regardless of quality etc. Or at least the one or two things they really like about the franchise overrule and negate the bad stuff. You see people on GTP all the time just dismissing stuff as if it's no consequence to the game. Maybe they are right, at least as far as sales go, not in terms overall quality of the game, but in terms of what they will buy.

Last edited:
At the end of the day all players want is a good game regardless of standard cars in or out of the game because what we are talking about is a no win win situation here on this topic because everybody got there own opinion on this.

I went a bit to far on some members like TokoTurismo sorry my friend:tup:.
It's good man, cheers. :cheers:

I'm on the fence with this one. I've found a lot of the standard cars to be very fun to drive, even if they're a bit of an eyesore. If they can update them all (to the quality they did the RUFs) by the time the game comes out (most likely won't happen, if they're still aiming for that 2015 release), then I will gladly accept standard cars.

Did anybody expect the GT6 sells to be as bad as they seem to be? Nope. For the record, i'm not saying it will sell less, but it is possible. Big franchises got smaller and smaller franchises got bigger in the past.

Who was surprised by the sales of GT6? It's a placeholder game until they finish GT on the PS4 and has been since they day they announced it for the PS3. Kaz said that they won't make a GT7: prologue because GT6 IS GT7: prologue.

Nope. Unless GT7 gets a major overhaul, you're pretty much buying the same game from 15 years ago with better graphics.

Toko who do you think you're kidding? You're going to change how you feel about GT a thousand times between now and when the game comes out. That's why it's so hard to believe you're actually so fed up you can't be serious anymore. Like two weeks ago it was all happy happy joy joy and now that we have the slightest hint of news you don't like it's all doom and gloom.

Last edited:
Who was surprised by the sales of GT6? It's a placeholder game until they finish GT on the PS4 and has been since they day they announced it for the PS3. Kaz said that they won't make a GT7: prologue because GT6 IS GT7: prologue.
If I said I was, would you believe me?

I wasn't alone either..sort of..
And also I am absolutely sure GT6 will surpass both GT5 and 10M in its lifetime if Sony somehow allows for PS3-backward compatibility on PS4 at some point with all functionality (online and wheels) during the time we wait for the GT7.

Last edited:

This. I know people will say "but they said that about the last game" but there seems to be a lot to suggest that this really is the case this time. The presence of PS4-ready assets, the fact that they've announced that they're waiting for GT7 to release major sound updates, the fact that they began working on GT7 so soon after GT6's release etc.

Haha not if you didn't link to the post. I'm genuinely shocked. Especially so close to the game actually coming out. I always assumed GT6 would sell 4-5 million copies MAX...I guess I just figured everybody else did to? Maybe that's why I'm so much less dissapointed with GT6? I bought the game and pretty much got what I was expecting.

This. I know people will say "but they said that about the last game" but there seems to be a lot to suggest that this really is the case this time. The presence of PS4-ready assets, the fact that they've announced that they're waiting for GT7 to release major sound updates, the fact that they began working on GT7 so soon after GT6's release etc.

I think they actually said they were working on GT7 before GT6 came out. How else would Kaz think the best case scenario was a 2014 launch?

Personally, I'm betting PD was one of if not the first studio to get access to the PS4 and they've been working on GT7 even since. I firmly believe GT6 exists to buy time.

Last edited:
Haha not if you didn't link to the post. I'm genuinely shocked. Especially so close to the game actually coming out. I always assumed GT6 would sell 4-5 million copies MAX...I guess I just figured everybody else did to? Maybe that's why I'm so much less dissapointed with GT6? I bought the game and pretty much got what I was expecting.
There were many people in that thread who thought the game would sell really well. I got torpedoed because I expected all the announced features to be in the game at launch which I think made a huge difference. I also expected the game to sell millions of copies in the bargain bin at $10-15 as the PS3 wound down and there were no other AAA games releasing. The former is long gone, and the latter may never happen because of the former.

There were many people in that thread who thought the game would sell really well. I got torpedoed because I expected all the announced features to be in the game at launch which I think made a huge difference. I also expected the game to sell millions of copies in the bargain bin at $10-15 as the PS3 wound down and there were no other AAA games releasing. The former is long gone, and the latter may never happen because of the former.

Oh yeah that was before the big info dump wasn't it? Alright that's fair enough, I still don't think there's anything they could have done to overcome coming out on the PS3 so late.

Oh yeah that was before the big info dump wasn't it? Alright that's fair enough, I still don't think there's anything they could have done to overcome coming out on the PS3 so late.
So you can see how the missing features killed any chance at this game rocking out any sales records now right? Many of us were so optimistic because everything announced sounded so good, a huge step up from GT5. Create your own courses from GPS data? Damn here's my money!! A retooled Course Maker with a 100x100 pre-rendered landscape around Ronda..please, take my credit card. Online Clubs and Leagues, for God's sake, put me in a coma and wake me on December 6th!!! The only real disappointment, besides standards and some worries about the physics, was that it wasn't on PS4 which is completely understandable.

Then in the following 6 months all the interest in the new game fizzled as we learned for the first time, GT would release an incomplete game and basically just a slightly better version of GT5 if we're honest. GT5 at least was a complete, if buggy game. Features were added later, things were updated and made better, but everything on the box was in the game. Had they begun releasing major features within a month they might have saved it. Had they not been like a turtle in a shell for the first few months, they might have saved it.

When you take a longer, deeper look at the events of the last year, it adds a whole new perspective. Go back to my posts at the time and it was almost all positive about GT6.

Toko who do you think you're kidding? You're going to change how you feel about GT a thousand times between now and when the game comes out. That's why it's so hard to believe you're actually so fed up you can't be serious anymore. Like two weeks ago it was all happy happy joy joy and now that we have the slightest hint of news you don't like it's all doom and gloom.
And this time it ain't going to be happy happy joy joy unless the Course Maker releases. This is all I'm waiting for and it's in beta stage... PD are so slow! Sure there was RBR and other bleh bleh that got announced, but those aren't the things I'm waiting for!! I'm fed up with PD doing this crap. Why do you think I'm going back and fore of being happy then grumpy? Think about it... :grumpy:

Thanks a lot, now I'm angry. I'm getting off before I explode.

The fact is though, GT5 sold really well, more than 10 million copies, so that's kind of a rubber stamp to continue doing what you are doing. A lot of people here have dismissed the GT6 sales slump on a lack of advertising and end of cycle for the PS3 and Kaz may do the same and may not link depressed sales to a poor game, and indeed he might be right.

Sooner or later I think we have to come to the realization that maybe the game some of us want with all premium content, awesome realistic sounds, real racing and the feel of being at the track, real sim mechanics etc.etc.etc. isn't the game the majority of fans want..nor...dare I say it..the game that will sell the best.

Maybe most fans really prefer the rubber banding AI, the simplistic approach to the game, more cars and tracks regardless of quality etc. Or at least the one or two things they really like about the franchise overrule and negate the bad stuff. You see people on GTP all the time just dismissing stuff as if it's no consequence to the game. Maybe they are right, at least as far as sales go, not in terms overall quality of the game, but in terms of what they will buy.
I think reviews play a big part in the sales of gt games. A lot of reviewers seem scared to give a gt game a low score and just give it an 8/10. That's ok if the review reads like the reviewer views gt as a solid game. My suprise comes when I read the review, see that the reviewer doesn't like the standards, the ai and the career mode, but still give it an 8/10...

I find that hard to believe.

So you can see how the missing features killed any chance at this game rocking out any sales records now right? Many of us were so optimistic because everything announced sounded so good, a huge step up from GT5. Create your own courses from GPS data? Damn here's my money!! A retooled Course Maker with a 100x100 pre-rendered landscape around Ronda..please, take my credit card. Online Clubs and Leagues, for God's sake, put me in a coma and wake me on December 6th!!! The only real disappointment, besides standards and some worries about the physics, was that it wasn't on PS4 which is completely understandable.

Then in the following 6 months all the interest in the new game fizzled as we learned for the first time, GT would release an incomplete game and basically just a slightly better version of GT5 if we're honest. GT5 at least was a complete, if buggy game. Features were added later, things were updated and made better, but everything on the box was in the game. Had they begun releasing major features within a month they might have saved it. Had they not been like a turtle in a shell for the first few months, they might have saved it.

When you take a longer, deeper look at the events of the last year, it adds a whole new perspective. Go back to my posts at the time and it was almost all positive about GT6.

Yeah I don't disagree with that. I think a lot of the more casual players looked at GT6 and decided that it wasn't a big enough leap over GT5 to warrant buying another GT game for the PS3. Especially since before GT6 came out Kaz said GT would likely be on the PS4 in a year or two.

I have to disagree with you saying they could have saved it though. Even if they had launched the course maker a month after the game came out the reviews were done and many people had already decided to just wait it out. Sure, you would have gotten some people back. But I doubt we'd be looking at significantly different scenario sales wise.

Heh. With PD it's always graphics, not gameplay.

I disagree. If they truly cared about graphics, we wouldn't still have cars that look like this:

822986CircuitdeSpaFrancorchamps4.jpg

You know what, I'm going on a limb thinking that PD is going to drop this idea on keeping the standards. I just have a hunch that this isn't the only website with a lot of negative feedback about that silly idea.

If I said I was, would you believe me?

I wasn't alone either..sort of..

...that reminds me.

:D

Oh wait, GT6 is still missing a feature from GT5. Guess you won't be sending me my prize after all...

EDIT: Oh yeah - @IneedSchool and @Fat Tyre - stop double (or triple) posting. You can respond to numerous people, just hit Reply on every post you wish to reply to, it'll collect them in the reply box.

Gran Turismo is like my Call of Duty, I can't help but buy it even if it's crap. :scared:

I'll still get it but I won't be completely happy.
This is the trend that needs to stop if you want change. It makes no sense to keep buying the same game year after year if you are not happy with it. That's borderline insanity. If you don't like the fact that standards will be in GT7, don't buy the game. Then voice your opinion in the Kaz feedback forum letting him know why you are not purchasing GT7.

You can do that here.

Last edited:
You'd think that the bad sales ratings of GT6 would be a wake-up call for PD. I mean, its a really good racing game, but there is all these small aspects (and standard cars is one of them) that make the game fall behind its competitors. and because of it, it does'nt sell as good.

You know what, I'm going on a limb thinking that PD is going to drop this idea on keeping the standards. I just have a hunch that this isn't the only website with a lot of negative feedback about that silly idea.
True indeed. If you take a look in Eurogamer and IGN's comment section, people are angry about this, outraged that PD idiotically desided to keep these garbage assets.

There has been negative feedback about standards since before GT5 even released. You would hope they would notice the decline in sales and get the hint, but now we are going on GT7 and still standards.

The one thing PD has going for them is the fact they finally have a dedicated forum for KY and PD requests and suggestions. If enough people pound that section about the standards, hopefully PD will move it up the priority list. Something needs to change and the time to do it is before releasing GT7 on the next gen PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back