Kaz interview on Eurogamer - Standards are here to stay! Poll added

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 1,699 comments

Kaz says the standards are going to be in GT7. Is this a deal breaker for you?

• If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Votes: 171 19.5%
  • I will buy GT7 regardless.

Votes: 498 56.9%
  • On the fence, I'll wait for the reviews and then decide.

Votes: 206 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said in the rest of my post, which you've rather conveniently cut off; we can't just assume that GT7 'standards', will be the same as those in the previous two titles. Just because 'standard' in GT5/6 referred to a car ripped from the PS2 era, doesn't mean it will be the same again in GT7. In GT7 'standard' cars could well end up being cars where the exterior level of detail is premium, but the interior isn't present. PD might want to refrain from calling such cars premium, so that they receive less backlash for including them in the game. I think it's more likely people would be upset if all cars were listed under the same category, despite being at different levels of completion. But that's just my opinion.

A 3 year wait for GT6 and we still have some bad looking standard cars. I seriously have doubts on how PD will give "premium exteriors" to all standard cars while simultaneously work on modeling actual NEW cars for GT7. And another thing that bugs me about standards being in GT7 is how much work going into improving them could be going into giving us cars that have never been in a GT game.

I have every installment except Tourist Trophy and Grand Turismo HD. I will buy GT7 because I already have my PS4.
Having Standards would not bother me. Not having a substantial increase in premium cars would be off putting.

We've seen PD create premium cars from standard. We've also seen an individual part of a car (wheeles) be rendered as premium. So turning that trick with a car's exterior should not be an issue for PD.

I cut it off so you knew which part of your post I was replying to, like I've just done again now.

I really don't see them further cleaning up standards but leaving them as standards. they will make the standards they want want to improve premium
Okay, that's fair enough! :)

I reckon you're right, that they will update some 'standards' to premiums. But I personally cannot see PD utilizing PS2 assests in a PS4 title. It was bad enough in GT6. If they do it again in GT7, I think their reputation will be decimated. And for most game developers when that happens, it spells the beginning of the end, for a slow and painful decline. But I think PD know this, and I believe that they're aware they can't afford to do this. Which is why I expect the 'standards' in GT7 will be different.

A 3 year wait for GT6 and we still have some bad looking standard cars. I seriously have doubts on how PD will give "premium exteriors" to all standard cars while simultaneously work on modeling actual NEW cars for GT7. And another thing that bugs me about standards being in GT7 is how much work going into improving them could be going into giving us cars that have never been in a GT game.
Well for all we know, PD may have started work on modeling cars for GT7 some time back. Maybe they even expanded their team for GT7 (one can always hope). Obviously we're all in the dark about that, but for reasons I've stated above, I can't see them sitting back doing nothing. I do agree however, that their car list needs some serious updating! :lol:

Okay, that's fair enough! :)

I reckon you're right, that they will update some 'standards' to premiums. But I personally cannot see PD utilizing PS2 assests in a PS4 title.

They'd better not :grumpy:.

Kaz needs a rethink and a rethink now.

Also, I think the premium models in ps3 are actually ps4 ready, as they are quite detailed, and the newer ones use adaptive tessellation.

You do know that when PD makes a standard into premium, they throw out the old model and start from scratch, right?

The thing that must be realized is if PD/KAZ said they were going to carry the standards over, then there must be a link between how the game interprets premium and standard objects. Otherwise, they would throw out the standards and simply create a premium substitutes. So obviously they have the ability to tailor the standard car elements.
And those standard objects evidently are able to operate in the GT7 environment.

They'd better not :grumpy:.

Kaz needs a rethink and a rethink now.

Also, I think the premium models in ps3 are actually ps4 ready, as they are quite detailed, and the newer ones use adaptive tessellation.
They most likely are. Few weeks back, when browsing the forums as a guest, I saw a post that explained how improvements in graphical quality are becoming virtually invisible to the human eye. In fact, the image they linked with that post, says more than a thousand words...

enhanced-buzz-5712-1361903342-0.jpeg

They most likely are. Few weeks back, when browing the forums as a guest, I saw a post that explained how improvements in graphical quality are becoming virtually invisible to the human eye. In fact, the image they linked with that post, says more than a thousand words...

enhanced-buzz-5712-1361903342-0.jpeg
I wonder where gt is at with them triangles?

Cool post btw 👍

"Acting the same way as before" was the key bit of that sentence. jimipitbull has alluded to it in the past quite a few times of late, but I'll be more blunt about it: Abruptly deciding that you're now fanatically and loudly anti-PD in any and all contexts doesn't win you any more popularity points than when you were fanatically and loudly pro-GT in any and all contexts. In fact, the main difference between the Toko of two months ago and the Toko of now is that now it's harder to actually argue a point against some design direction of the series when it's latched onto by someone else as a way to express how awesome it is going to be when GT7 is a sales bomb because of it.

Put another way, no one would start taking potshots at amar if he expressed himself the same way as he does now but decided that he no longer liked the series' direction; because the specificity of his viewpoints isn't why he garners the respect he does.
So what you're saying is I'm like fanboy Toko from back then, like the one that kept saying "Oh I'm a star of GTPlanet." (LOL should do that again :lol:) but negative? Hmmm..... :boggled: Also I don't act the way I do for popularly, but okay.

kaz-yamauchi-ps4-638x415.png

Where he described the system as a “blank canvas” while speaking about the ease at which content can be developed for it.

This is what got me hyped up again.

But A few months later i read the news about keeping the standards, i can't think of anything other than they're getting an incredibly tight deadline. That said, i honestly think they're focussing too much on the none-game developing activities, (i.e GT Academy, Nurburgring Events, car software, other joint projects), Obviously it's smart as a company to be involved with many projects and such, but i really think they're losing their grip on the main object, the thing that has got them where they are.

Oh, and if they pulled the same trick on Gran Turismo 3, like adding Gran Turismo 2 models, they would never be where they are now. I'm just saying.

I like the game, i just don't see the point in a huge quality gap in car models. And even the game itself recognizing it as two different type of car models. And the one having an incredible interior view, where the other one has a black silhouette, either do all with a good interior or just don't have an interior.

In GT6 at least, I don't think you do.
Well there was one event in the S-Events that had a standard car that was unbeatable. So I had to end up using that same car in order to beat it. It was a hybrid, and a very annoying one as a AI because it rubber band.

If you don't like it, don't buy it...

Exactly what I plan on doing.

I'm not tossing out another $460 to deal with car models from two generations ago. I have GT3, 4, and 5. If for some reason I feel the need to drive Standards, those games will suffice. More than enough options there.

If they make Standards an optional, separate download, then we'll talk.

So what you're saying is I'm like fanboy Toko from back then, like the one that kept saying "Oh I'm a star of GTPlanet." (LOL should do that again :lol:) but negative? Hmmm..... :boggled: Also I don't act the way I do for popularly, but okay.

Do you get more or less likes now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back