Kaz interview on Eurogamer - Standards are here to stay! Poll added

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 1,699 comments

Kaz says the standards are going to be in GT7. Is this a deal breaker for you?

• If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Votes: 171 19.5%
  • I will buy GT7 regardless.

Votes: 498 56.9%
  • On the fence, I'll wait for the reviews and then decide.

Votes: 206 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And thats how they shot themselves in the foot. It was a double-edged sword, and now no matter the situation they are gonna get flak for it. and why would they need to model 1200 premiums? Take out ALL OF THE DUPLICATES, and some of the unnecessary cars, and it can very well be done. If game X can make 600 cars at its release, and add 120 for DLC through out the month then how are insinuating that its not possible?

Its not even a launch title, so its not like they are rushed either, they have plenty of time.

I agree with you ImaRobot, if PD does not change it's thinking on this, they are not offering the customer the very best they can deliver. We cried up a storm over Forza 5 being released with 200 or so cars, but it is looking a lot better now isn't it? And the quality of the product is consistent across the board, PD could learn a thing or two from Turn 10.

Also, I'll reiterate; GT7 is going to up to 600 cars with the premium car detail and that's close to GT4's car count. I don't think people are going to complain so much about PD dropping their cars like Turn 10 did and if they do; then the fanbase officially has lost their minds.
I'll see your reiteration and raise you a reiteration:D. GT7 will not have 600 unique premiums, assuming they continue with their business practices of the last 15 years. Here's why. Based on those calculations and approximations, if GT7 launches in December 2015 and no new cars outside the VGT's are added between now and then, you'll have maybe 60-70 new cars, making certain assumptions about how much modeling time each VGT takes. If they decide to touch up a large number of standards, that number will be quite a bit lower.

Still sucks that PD are keeping the standard cars. For what reason though? Car count? GT7's quality will be non-existent, I guarantee that. I bet there'll hardly be any 2015+ cars in the game, because PD wasted their time touching up assets from two generations back. :rolleyes:

They'll never change...

I'll see your reiteration and raise you a reiteration:D. GT7 will not have 600 unique premiums, assuming they continue with their business practices of the last 15 years. Here's why. Based on those calculations and approximations, if GT7 launches in December 2015 and no new cars outside the VGT's are added between now and then, you'll have maybe 60-70 new cars, making certain assumptions about how much modeling time each VGT takes. If they decide to touch up a large number of standards, that number will be quite a bit lower.
Darn it, I forgot about those factors. Still though, despite PD's slow modeling process, I think dropping the standards is the best move. Too bad they're probably not going to do it...they really need to outsource.

Still sucks that PD are keeping the standard cars. For what reason though? Car count? GT7's quality will be non-existent, I guarantee that. I bet there'll hardly be any 2015+ cars in the game, because PD wasted their time touching up assets from two generations back. :rolleyes:

They'll never change...

That seems like a backwards complaint to me...Wouldn't they waste more time updating the 100 or so favorite standards to premiums than they would simply touching up the current ones? Kaz even said that they are going to focus on adding new premiums in the interview he said they'd be keeping the standards.

That seems like a backwards complaint to me...Wouldn't they waste more time updating the 100 or so favorite standards to premiums than they would simply touching up the current ones? Kaz even said that they are going to focus on adding new premiums in the interview he said they'd be keeping the standards.
Upgrading standards to premiums isn't a waste of time if you want those cars in the game is it? Once upgraded to premium they should be good for at least a couple of generations, maybe in perpetuity. Most of the advances in the the PS4 era and beyond, once all the models are up to scratch, are in lighting, reflection, surface details, tire animations, moving parts, full interiors and engine bays, dirt, grime, damage, chipped paint etc, none of which will require remodeling the car and none of which work well with standards. This BMW is current generation and available soon to the public..it's not going to advance much more beyond this, it's already hard to distinguish it from the real thing. If some Standards get upgraded to Premium they'll be good for ages.

BMW Street.jpg

As @Johnnypenso stated, once a standard is upgraded to premium, with all parts mentioned and modeled, a premium car won't ever need to be remodeled for ages. That's why it's better if PD chose the best standards that needs upgrading, BOOM, will never need to worry. :)

Upgrading standards to premiums isn't a waste of time if you want those cars in the game is it? Once upgraded to premium they should be good for at least a couple of generations, maybe in perpetuity. Most of the advances in the the PS4 era and beyond, once all the models are up to scratch, are in lighting, reflection, surface details, tire animations, moving parts, full interiors and engine bays, dirt, grime, damage, chipped paint etc, none of which will require remodeling the car and none of which work well with standards. This BMW is current generation and available soon to the public..it's not going to advance much more beyond this, it's already hard to distinguish it from the real thing. If some Standards get upgraded to Premium they'll be good for ages.

Maybe I should clarify, I'm not saying that PD shouldn't update the standards. I'm saying that if they did that wouldn't that cause GT7 to have less new cars than if they don't. Toko was saying that he thinks GT7 will have less new cars because they might touch up the standards but if they were to take them out and instead upgrade the most popular ones to premium that would take away more time from making new cars.

GT is turning into this little Japanese niche game. Nowadays it still has it's dedicated fanbase who seem like a bunch of groupies at times + the unsuspecting cargame buyer as a main consumer base , but is loosing the general racegame crowd en masse as it fails horribly in going along with current times.

This interview gives me the impression that this trend will just continue on PS4. Hopeless really...

Maybe I should clarify, I'm not saying that PD shouldn't update the standards. I'm saying that if they did that wouldn't that cause GT7 to have less new cars than if they don't. Toko was saying that he thinks GT7 will have less new cars because they might touch up the standards but if they were to take them out and instead upgrade the most popular ones to premium that would take away more time from making new cars.
You know it's true when PD wastes their time touching up ALL cars, even duplicates as well. AGAIN, PD needs to outsource their too little of a company. So why not do what @Johnnypenso mentioned above by choosing the popular cars from the standard side and upgrade them to premium?

I seriously don't care about car count. If GT would actually have 1200 cars it would take you nearly four years to drive them all if you would use one a day. The number is inflated any way. Here you have a video showing you +30 Miatas. Now there are Miatas that are premium, why can't they just delete their standard versions? Answer, car count.

GT is turning into this little Japanese niche game.

It's simply doing what Need for Speed has done. It's found it's niche, and it appears to be quite happy to stay within that.

With a few exceptions, modern NfS games are mostly interchangeable, and they're becoming more so with each passing release. GT seems to be doing the same thing, focussing the same few aspects more and more each time. Namely, car count, track count, and weird commercial tie-ins.

It's a shame that those things aren't really what made GT great in the first place, but I guess as long as they're selling games they'll keep doing it. Or perhaps I should say, as along as they're making money, because who knows how much the manufacturers, Red Bull and the FIA are paying to get into GT. Maybe they don't really need sales any more.

Best of luck to them with that.

(...)
Look at this sad statistics: http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/460-Gran-Turismo-5

39% of players finished Amateur events (of 400.000 players registered with GT5 at that site)
25% won an S license (with SRF being enabled by default in GT5)
22% won Expert races
only 18% finished Top Gear track
12% made it through Nurburguring challenges
6% Endurances
Less than 1% for Platinum (Vettel challenges didn't help)

(...)

I agree with most of your post. One statistic that caught my eye though was this: The trophy for your first A-spec win in GT5 was only achieved by 82% of players...? :odd:

To me, that can mean either those players' data could not be retrieved by the website, or they actually never really played the game at all (but their data counted for all trophy statistics on that page). If that is the case, then you would have to considerably bump up the completion-percentage for all trophies to get a representative result. (multiply the trophy-percentages by approx. 1.2, actually)

Granted though, that it wouldn't change much for the conclusions you drew.

Another thing that annoys me is that people here in the forum often say that PD doesn't have the resources to upgrade more cars to premium, but then you watch "Kaz" and they show you a PD employee touching up the inside of the Colosseum and she says something along the lines of "the track goes around it so you can never see the inside but it is created in case it is ever seen" :dunce:

Last edited:
That was when PD knew what quality was back then.
I agree that one of the most blatant "feature" of GT (the first one in 97) was the car count.

But so were the driving physics and the graphics (which were quite good at the time).

And the best selling GT to date is the one that took a step back regarding quantity for the benefit of quality and consistency.

Could be an accident. Could be that people actually care about quality over quantity when the "lack of quantity" is woefully relative (no, 200 cars is *not* a ridiculously low car count).

Like some others here, I'll reserve judgement until I see what the GT7 'standards', actually look like. We can't just assume that the GT7 'standards' will be the same as on the two previous releases. For all we know they might actually be cars with premium exteriors, that lack interiors. In my mind at least, that sounds more plausible. I can't imagine any game developer, not even Kaz and his cronies, being daft enough to use PS2 assests on the PS4. Would probably be the end of PD, if they did.

They will look like standards. Those that don't will be uprgraded and hence premium.
As I said in the rest of my post, which you've rather conveniently cut off; we can't just assume that GT7 'standards', will be the same as those in the previous two titles. Just because 'standard' in GT5/6 referred to a car ripped from the PS2 era, doesn't mean it will be the same again in GT7. In GT7 'standard' cars could well end up being cars where the exterior level of detail is premium, but the interior isn't present. PD might want to refrain from calling such cars premium, so that they receive less backlash for including them in the game. I think it's more likely people would be upset if all cars were listed under the same category, despite being at different levels of completion. But that's just my opinion.

As I said in the rest of my post, which you've rather conveniently cut off;.

I cut it off so you knew which part of your post I was replying to, like I've just done again now.

I really don't see them further cleaning up standards but leaving them as standards. they will make the standards they want want to improve premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back