Kaz interview on Eurogamer - Standards are here to stay! Poll added

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 1,699 comments

Kaz says the standards are going to be in GT7. Is this a deal breaker for you?

• If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Votes: 171 19.5%
  • I will buy GT7 regardless.

Votes: 498 56.9%
  • On the fence, I'll wait for the reviews and then decide.

Votes: 206 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Highlights
- likely a full game and not a Prologue
- sounds not likely to improve much until GT7
- Course Maker and B-spec in an imminent update (not a Kaz quote though)
- STANDARDS ARE HERE TO STAY!!

By Martin Robinson Published Friday, 27 June 2014

Polyphony Digital is at work on Gran Turismo 7, and it's likely that the standard cars whose heritage stretches back to the PlayStation 2 era are to stay for the PlayStation 4 sequel.

Speaking to Eurogamer at this year's Goodwood Festival, where Yamauchi has unveiled a number of new GT Vision cars as well as taking to the hill in a Nissan GTR Nismo, Yamauchi said work was under way. But it won't be out as early as 2014, as he optimistically stated last year.

"We are working on the title," said Yamauchi. "I don't think it'll make this year!"

Yamauchi also said Polyphony will go straight into development on the full game rather than working on a taster, as has been the case with recent iterations. "I don't think it'll be a Prologue," he said, confirming that the full Gran Turismo 7 was next on Polyphony's plate.

And what can we expect of the PlayStation 4 game? Polyphony has recently started its own blog where it's addressing concerns of its community, including the quality of the sound within the series which Yamauchi admits isn't up to scratch. It's still in the plan to update the audio in Gran Turismo 6 - as Yamauchi revealed to Eurogamer last September - but the full overhaul won't come until Gran Turismo 7.

"I think the quality of the sounds in Gran Turismo 6 will be improved, but most of the work will be done in Gran Turismo 7," said Yamauchi.

Gran Turismo 6 has enjoyed a suite of updates recently, with a selection of Ayrton Senna's cars being followed up by the inclusion of Austria's Red Bull Ring and the Toyota TS030 - all for free. The Course Maker and B-Spec modes, which are still absent from the game, are coming in an imminent update.

And when Gran Turismo 7 does come around, the standard car models that persist from 2004's Gran Turismo 4 will most likely feature.

"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi. "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."

Last edited:
I suggest not to use them then. I don't. I would have been more disappointed if there was a Prologue to GT7. You know, because it's something that I'll have to pay for to play. I didn't get GT5 Prologue, the game with nothing but Premium cars. Yet, I pretty much only use Premium cars unless it's for Photo Mode.

I suppose they won't be able to update all of the outdated-looking tracks. Oh well, at least not all/most of them will look like that.

Last edited:
"The Course Maker and B-Spec modes, which are still absent from the game, are coming in an imminent update."

Care to elaborate where this info came from? Define imminent while your at it author.

You'd just not even have the cars in the game? What's the point of that?

A large number of the standard cars are either dupes or insignificant cars from the 80s and 90s. Do you use all 800 standard cars? I doubt it. I don't want to lose every model currently represented as a standard car, I would like to see the most popular and most used re-done as premium. Maybe 100/200, I haven't checked. There certainly is no need for all 800 to be copied across.

He think that every car premium = Quality. With or without the standard, it's still the same number of premium. So I prefer having them than not.

Except the standard cars would be mixed into the game, just like GT5/6, meaning I'd have no choice but to see the jarring, low quality models. Plus, are we really going to have this interior view on a 2015, PS4 game?

2013_11_29_4_49_57_zps3257d3ae.png

Really, astonishing this is acceptable to some people.

"- Course Maker and B-spec in an imminent update (not a Kaz quote though)" - this is speculation, i assume?

"I think the quality of the sounds in Gran Turismo 6 will be improved, but most of the work will be done in Gran Turismo 7," said Yamauchi.

That is awesome, there's a chance we'll get at least SOME better sounds in 6 :)

And when Gran Turismo 7 does come around, the standard car models that persist from 2004's Gran Turismo 4 will most likely feature.

"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi. "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."

OH COME ON!!!

Yamauchi-san, not many people want to see 56 Skylines on the car list again... :indiff:

A large number of the standard cars are either dupes or insignificant cars from the 80s and 90s. Do you use all 800 standard cars? I doubt it. I don't want to lose every model currently represented as a standard car, I would like to see the most popular and most used re-done as premium. Maybe 100/200, I haven't checked. There certainly is no need for all 800 to be copied across.
Why not?

Except the standard cars would be mixed into the game, just like GT5/6, meaning I'd have no choice but to see the jarring, low quality models. Plus, are we really going to have this interior view on a 2015, PS4 game?

2013_11_29_4_49_57_zps3257d3ae.png

Really, astonishing this is acceptable to some people.
Not many folks use the interior view. I wouldn't care if every car in the game looked like that. I'm more interested in how they drive. I cannot see them when driving them anyway.

Good decision.

I don't want to lose all those cars.

New cars will be made, but old cars will stay.

That is perfectly fine.
This is how I felt for a while, but I've changed my mind. Now that we have GT5 and GT6, we've been able to experience all these cars in a decent environment for a while now. Having them in GT7 as well just brings down the quality of the game, and while I also love a lot of those old cars and hate to lose them, I would love for them to take them out of GT7 and then add them back in as Premiums. That would pretty much solve everyone's problems, including Kaz's.

After seeing the quality of cars that every next gen racer is releasing, makes this a bit depressing.
I find it quite encouraging actually that other developers are going full speed ahead and creating product that is 100% ready for the next generation of gaming and not holding on to old assets and old ways of thinking. GT has a huge base of nostalgic fans that aren't as concerned about an overall minimum level of quality as they are about quantity. This is a free market working as it's supposed to. Each Dev can make whatever game they want and we get to choose where to spend our money.

I want to know who is making these decisions. I shall quote from Mr Dan Greenawalt on what I feel GT7 should have done:

ab64c82c0d.png

This is the quality of what a next generation racing game should be. Fix it, PD. Having decade old cars in a 2015 PS4 title is unacceptable.

Porting over assets from 2 generations ago to a PS4 game that's supposed to have the latest up to date graphics is the worst move any developer could make. PD must think we're stupid that they're carrying on with standard cars in a next-gen system.

I'd rather lose 800+ cars if it meant getting consistent graphical quality. Nostalgia can only take a series so far before it ends up getting dragged through the dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back