Kaz interview on Eurogamer - Standards are here to stay! Poll added

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 1,699 comments

Kaz says the standards are going to be in GT7. Is this a deal breaker for you?

• If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Votes: 171 19.5%
  • I will buy GT7 regardless.

Votes: 498 56.9%
  • On the fence, I'll wait for the reviews and then decide.

Votes: 206 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except the standard cars would be mixed into the game, just like GT5/6, meaning I'd have no choice but to see the jarring, low quality models. Plus, are we really going to have this interior view on a 2015, PS4 game?

2013_11_29_4_49_57_zps3257d3ae.png

Really, astonishing this is acceptable to some people.

That's deep, even scary, that you already know what GT7 looks like.

Well I don't disregard those of wanting standard cars back, but it is silly of PD to bring them back on to the PS4... The gaming media is going to give them bad reviews because of them. :\

For GT7 maybe PD should add the standards to the game as a post-release DLC for free. So then, if you don't like then don't download !

That's deep, even scary, that you already know what GT7 looks like.

Well what else is going to happen, PD are going to spend time modelling a detailed interior for standard cars? Or they're going to get MS Paint out and draw one on?

I'll give them the benefit of doubt, the game might still be in early development so things may change as they work on it.

So you guys are with Kaz, quantity over quality? Because 500 PS4 quality cars wouldn't be enough for you?
Compared to 1200, it doesnt sound appealing. Thats where the problem is. Playing with 200 cars was good enough for me, 500 cars would be great. If they can actually stick to a DLC plan. Then it can work out great, then once they reach the next iteration, they can have a good base to start and build up from.

What would you rather have, 500 pieces of candy and 800 lumps of turd or just 500 pieces of candy?
They don't see them as lumps of turd. They see them as the same candy, but it's been sitting in the attic for a couple of years and they just found it during spring cleaning. Still edible...some people will eat anything.

Compared to 1200, it doesnt sound appealing. Thats where the problem is. Playing with 200 cars was good enough for me, 500 cars would be great. If they can actually stick to a DLC plan. Then it can work out great, then once they reach the next iteration, they can have a good base to start and build up from.

Once again though, it's becoming about numbers. Cars are being reduced to numbers, not what they actually are. People keep talking about 800 standards and yeah, if you reduce it to a number like that it does seem like a big loss. When you actually look at what that number represents though, what those 800 cars actually are, you realise it's not such a big loss to drop 80% of them.

I want to know who is making these decisions. I shall quote from Mr Dan Greenawalt on what I feel GT7 should have done:

ab64c82c0d.png

This is the quality of what a next generation racing game should be. Fix it, PD. Having decade old cars in a 2015 PS4 title is unacceptable.

That's Dan Greenwalt's direction. Kazanori has just now set his direction. Lets see how much quality PD can bring.

Porting over assets from 2 generations ago to a PS4 game that's supposed to have the latest up to date graphics is the worst move any developer could make. PD must think we're stupid that they're carrying on with standard cars in a next-gen system.

I'd rather lose 800+ cars if it meant getting consistent graphical quality. Nostalgia can only take a series so far before it ends up getting dragged through the dirt.

Nostalgia, probably the key word in Kazanori's thinking.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Highlights
- likely a full game and not a Prologue
- sounds not likely to improve much until GT7
- Course Maker and B-spec in an imminent update (not a Kaz quote though)
- STANDARDS ARE HERE TO STAY!!

By Martin Robinson Published Friday, 27 June 2014

Polyphony Digital is at work on Gran Turismo 7, and it's likely that the standard cars whose heritage stretches back to the PlayStation 2 era are to stay for the PlayStation 4 sequel.

Speaking to Eurogamer at this year's Goodwood Festival, where Yamauchi has unveiled a number of new GT Vision cars as well as taking to the hill in a Nissan GTR Nismo, Yamauchi said work was under way. But it won't be out as early as 2014, as he optimistically stated last year.

"We are working on the title," said Yamauchi. "I don't think it'll make this year!"

Yamauchi also said Polyphony will go straight into development on the full game rather than working on a taster, as has been the case with recent iterations. "I don't think it'll be a Prologue," he said, confirming that the full Gran Turismo 7 was next on Polyphony's plate.

And what can we expect of the PlayStation 4 game? Polyphony has recently started its own blog where it's addressing concerns of its community, including the quality of the sound within the series which Yamauchi admits isn't up to scratch. It's still in the plan to update the audio in Gran Turismo 6 - as Yamauchi revealed to Eurogamer last September - but the full overhaul won't come until Gran Turismo 7.

"I think the quality of the sounds in Gran Turismo 6 will be improved, but most of the work will be done in Gran Turismo 7," said Yamauchi.

Gran Turismo 6 has enjoyed a suite of updates recently, with a selection of Ayrton Senna's cars being followed up by the inclusion of Austria's Red Bull Ring and the Toyota TS030 - all for free. The Course Maker and B-Spec modes, which are still absent from the game, are coming in an imminent update.

And when Gran Turismo 7 does come around, the standard car models that persist from 2004's Gran Turismo 4 will most likely feature.

"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi. "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."

JohnnyPenso.
Can you say more please on the imminent release of b-spec and course maker ?
Thanks!

I'm guessing people who want standards would be fine when, playing Fifa to have the opposing team filled with PS2 era players, play with a PS2 era character in GTA V, Play BF4 with PS2 era weapons, Play Uncharted using a PS2 era Nathan Drake etc

Once again though, it's becoming about numbers. Cars are being reduced to numbers, not what they actually are. People keep talking about 800 standards and yeah, if you reduce it to a number like that it does seem like a big loss. When you actually look at what that number represents though, what those 800 cars actually are, you realise it's not such a big loss to drop 80% of them.
I agree completely. The car list, currently, is unnecessarily large and I didnt feel individualism from each and every car, hell some even felt copy and pasted from something else. I would rather them go full next gen, not just in parts of the game.

That being said, they should pick out cars that are actually meaningful, and take out the rest, and focus on making those cars actually feel different from one another. With such a high number I'm sure some characteristics are added to certain cars determined by body style and engine position.

In my opinion I like the standard cars but I think it would be a good idea to have a separate dealer for them. I would.also not mind if they took the 50 standard.miatas.and maybe tuned it down to 5 standard miatas or something along the lines of that. Then with those miatas.you could chose witch spec you want it to have in a sub category in the menu. Like if you chose miata 91 you could.then select like the american or european spec version of tht specific car.

Absolutely shocking. I guess they'll do anything to keep the title of "Most Cars in a Racing Game Ever".

If they're pulling this bold move, I don't have much faith in the rest of GT7. Which is why I'm not buying it after reading this news. It's the only way to show that enough's enough.

Like I said, think about it like this. PD are planning to do what no other games developer in the world are doing. That should be a mark of supremacy but not in this case, it's a mark of them being the odd ones out in a very negative way.

Oh my god. The media is gonna give 'em bad reviews???????? Who the hell cares about what some game review website rates a game.

It's not the bad reviews they need to worry about, it's all the consumers being turned off when they see this. Diehard PD fans can defend this all they like, the general public are not PD diehard fans and the majority of the gaming public today care greatly about graphics. Look at all this hooplah about 720p/900p/1080p/30fps/60fps with pretty much any game. Lesser graphical games get slated by players, what are they going to make of this? Not going to be popular, I'd have thought.

Because gameplay is what matter to me

If that is the case, why bother doing premiums at all, heck stick to creating thousands of standards and have a huge number of PS2 era cars and job well done.

Well I don't disregard those of wanting standard cars back, but it is silly of PD to bring them back on to the PS4... The gaming media is going to give them bad reviews because of them. :\

How did Vettel say it, "Oh that's tough"
He is still an F1 driver. Gran Turismo will live through all the flak as usual.

They might change their mind, we don't know how far into development GT7 is to know if they're truly going to put them in.

It's not the bad reviews they need to worry about, it's all the consumers being turned off when they see this. Diehard PD fans can defend this all they like, the general public are not PD diehard fans and the majority of the gaming public today care greatly about graphics. Look at all this hooplah about 720p/900p/1080p/30fps/60fps with pretty much any game. Lesser graphical games get slated by players, what are they going to make of this? Not going to be popular, I'd have thought.
lol, GT7 will be a 1080p@60 game and it'll get praise for that even if it really is either a judder mess or a tearing fest because as most if not all PS4 games released the "60fps" part only applies to the back of the box and the game actually runs at an "unlocked" framerate fluctuating between 30 and 60 fps (but it hits 60, sometimes, so it IS a 60 fps game)

Sorry I'm just tired of this BS. I knew we wouldn't get the "sound patch" for GT6 but that's still icing on the cake. On top a big crappy cake part creamy premium cars, part ****** standard cars. Yummy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back