Kazunori Yamauchi Pre-E3 2017 Interview:

I'm probably too late but:

1) Copper Box had flag messages on screen that were flagged by an user/local steward, if I'm not horribly mistaken. Same goes for the safety car.
Are those things still in and how will they work?
2) Last we've seen spectator mode was in TGS'16 I think, or maybe TAS. How's that shaping and will there be visualization options like B-Spec had in GT6? With sector times and what not.
3) Goodwood fest. Is the track coming back along with challenges?
4) Rear view mirror is one of the most important safety tools in driving and racing yet all games forget it for most camera views. Radar and proximity sensors are substitutes but they are two step abstractions of an information that a mirror provides directly. Could proper "mirrors" be added even if they had Pole Position graphics?

Pole0000.png

Thought i'd try and answer your question a bit early.

The steering no longer tops at 90 degrees. No hand-over-hand animation in sight yet as both the ingame wheel and the T-GT wheel only turns to about 180 degrees in this video.

The animated steering wheel rotation is 360 degrees and it is one to one with your real hands until it reaches 180 degrees(you can see this at 5:08).But there is still a lag between your real hands and animated hands.
At 5:08 the animated steering wheel stops its rotation exactly on 180 degrees while T-GT is more than 180 degrees.

волан градуси.png

Last edited:
KY: Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everthing has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped.

please let me stop there with all due respect! :D BUT! Isn't the most important part of ANY racing game - CARS and TRACKS...?

because Im really happy and glad PD keeps all the features.. but my favorite thing about GT is its physics and cars.. driving them on more road surface is better, less road surface is worse.. :) more old cars from previous GT's is better and less cars is worse.... :) if there are no old Honda Prelude, BMW e36, Supra, skyline, those cars from 60's, 70's, 80's, those insane cars who no one uses for racing, but almost everyone use them for fun.. the most important thing about all GT's was its collection of cars, especially cheap regular road legal cars, which can and should be tuned, they tend to be more fun than any race car! Personal taste on that one, while I still like all motor sports, rally, drift, grip, endurance.. I prefer in the end old Jensen Interceptor!!!!

So we will see how much PD cuts on most important things - cars! Fingers crossed they will be all in there eventually!! Even Mercedes-Benz Patent Motorwagen..still waiting for it, its part of GT history and it was really good lesson to every new kid who enters GT world.. dont forget that next generation kids needs that stuff what we had when we played it, would be silly to throw it all away, data is already in there, just upgrade it! ;)

I asked myself the same question, what about track editor or course maker? Is there going to be one?

I'm surprised this question isnt being asked. Especially after so many people invested in a tablet device just to have access to the TPE.

I doubt they'd abandon that feature after so many resources have been used on it, time and money, etc.

I doubt they'd abandon that feature after so many resources have been used on it, time and money, etc.
While the inclusion of the Course Creator would add soo much more to the game, they've shown that they have no problem dropping assets.

KY: Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everthing has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped.

please let me stop there with all due respect! :D BUT! Isn't the most important part of ANY racing game - CARS and TRACKS...?

because Im really happy and glad PD keeps all the features.. but my favorite thing about GT is its physics and cars.. driving them on more road surface is better, less road surface is worse.. :) more old cars from previous GT's is better and less cars is worse.... :) if there are no old Honda Prelude, BMW e36, Supra, skyline, those cars from 60's, 70's, 80's, those insane cars who no one uses for racing, but almost everyone use them for fun.. the most important thing about all GT's was its collection of cars, especially cheap regular road legal cars, which can and should be tuned, they tend to be more fun than any race car! Personal taste on that one, while I still like all motor sports, rally, drift, grip, endurance.. I prefer in the end old Jensen Interceptor!!!!

So we will see how much PD cuts on most important things - cars! Fingers crossed they will be all in there eventually!! Even Mercedes-Benz Patent Motorwagen..still waiting for it, its part of GT history and it was really good lesson to every new kid who enters GT world.. dont forget that next generation kids needs that stuff what we had when we played it, would be silly to throw it all away, data is already in there, just upgrade it! ;)
I totally agreed with you bro. GT series started back in ps1 and back then they already had all those cars. Even the test track was available. Who designed GT 1 and 2? And why are they changing the culture? This is so anoyin to be honest. Now all u see is race cars, what that hell. This is no Gran Turismo. Where is Gran Turismo 7?

"KY: Three years ago, we basically reset all the car models in the game, to start building them from scratch. Now, the models have been created at a quality that will last for ten years from this point on."

So they're not even gonna last until GT7 then...
When they start made the model for GT5/6. They also said something similar.
But then...

alot of people talking about pikes peak, is there any glimpse of it in gts?
I totally assumed it was confirmed because of the licence ( codemasters confirmed it) and realised after I posted nothing has been shown.
I wouldn't be so sure about that...
Why not? GT6 models were future proof too remember, and they lasted how long? Not even the following edition.

Anyone knows when is the pre-order doors gonna open? and if so is there any special editions?

Anyone knows when is the pre-order doors gonna open? and if so is there any special editions?
the doors have been open for quite some time. Not on psn though, it was removed from there a good while back. There is a big box called the Collectors Edition (like GT5s Signature Edition) available, but for EU only. It contains a diecast Merc AMG GT, a new Apex booklet, aaaand some in-game goodies (sticker pack, chrome helmet, credits) and of course the gold steelbox game, did I miss anything?

:irked: nice joke :cheers:
I was being serious. They've already included the sound effects and visual effects from that in GTS it seems. Also might not be GPU intensive so potentially VR online racing on there might be an incredible experience. IIRC first GT had reduced gravity, makes things more spectacular. Best part of GT6 for me was the Moon missions, made driving at slow speed so much fun.

Didn't get to try following out, looks like it has got a lot of untapped potential:

I was being serious. They've already included the sound effects and visual effects from that in GTS it seems. Also might not be GPU intensive so potentially VR online racing on there might be an incredible experience. IIRC first GT had reduced gravity, makes things more spectacular. Best part of GT6 for me was the Moon missions, made driving at slow speed so much fun.

Didn't get to try following out, looks like it has got a lot of untapped potential:

Inb4 Turn 10 makes a FM7 trailer with Porsches racing on Mars.... In 4K

The 10 years part. I don't think it's delusional at all, they are the most realistic models ever seen in a racing game and if I'm honest, I don't think they can get any more realistic.

The thing is, they said the same thing on PS2 and PS3. While the models may be good, the main problem is that technology isn't really forseeable on that timescale. PS2 models seemed pretty good, but then the need for multipart models and significantly higher detail textures made them largely useless. PS3 models seemed pretty good, but then the need for physically based materials and tesselation meant that at best they needed major reworks to be usable.

Really, trying to see the future is a mug's game. It's not worth the effort trying to future proof ten years out when you have no idea what "acceptable tech" is going to be then. You watch, in ten years if Gran Turismo is still a thing they're not going to be using these models as is. There will be some new hotness that they'll have to add.

It's funny that they pride themselves on being at the cutting edge graphically (and they do a very good job of it too), and yet somehow they believe that they themselves would be satisfied using ten year old assets in their work. I'm not the world's biggest Polyphony fan, but even I think that they have a little more passion for their work than that. They want to be the best, and you can't be the best using last generations assets. Their own pride in their work will never allow them to keep using stuff for that long.

Unless we get a game director who thinks that standards were a good idea on PS3. But I think GT Sport shows that they've learned their lesson from that little escapade.

As far as them getting more realistic, of course they can. They don't have a damage model to speak of, so there's a whole branch of materials and structural modelling that can be added to start with. We don't know how far below the surface the cars are modelled; do they have engine bays and internal compartments modelled? There's plenty left to do to make the models closer to reality, however diminishing returns are starting to kick in pretty hard. While they could make the models more realistic, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

the doors have been open for quite some time. Not on psn though, it was removed from there a good while back. There is a big box called the Collectors Edition (like GT5s Signature Edition) available, but for EU only. It contains a diecast Merc AMG GT, a new Apex booklet, aaaand some in-game goodies (sticker pack, chrome helmet, credits) and of course the gold steelbox game, did I miss anything?
its on amazon yes?? im gonna check it out,cheers.

The thing is, they said the same thing on PS2 and PS3. While the models may be good, the main problem is that technology isn't really forseeable on that timescale. PS2 models seemed pretty good, but then the need for multipart models and significantly higher detail textures made them largely useless. PS3 models seemed pretty good, but then the need for physically based materials and tesselation meant that at best they needed major reworks to be usable.

Really, trying to see the future is a mug's game. It's not worth the effort trying to future proof ten years out when you have no idea what "acceptable tech" is going to be then. You watch, in ten years if Gran Turismo is still a thing they're not going to be using these models as is. There will be some new hotness that they'll have to add.

It's funny that they pride themselves on being at the cutting edge graphically (and they do a very good job of it too), and yet somehow they believe that they themselves would be satisfied using ten year old assets in their work. I'm not the world's biggest Polyphony fan, but even I think that they have a little more passion for their work than that. They want to be the best, and you can't be the best using last generations assets. Their own pride in their work will never allow them to keep using stuff for that long.

Unless we get a game director who thinks that standards were a good idea on PS3. But I think GT Sport shows that they've learned their lesson from that little escapade.

As far as them getting more realistic, of course they can. They don't have a damage model to speak of, so there's a whole branch of materials and structural modelling that can be added to start with. We don't know how far below the surface the cars are modelled; do they have engine bays and internal compartments modelled? There's plenty left to do to make the models closer to reality, however diminishing returns are starting to kick in pretty hard. While they could make the models more realistic, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
That does make sense but I wonder just what advancement will occur to make the models obsolete... Can things really get better still? I find that pretty hard to believe but history suggests otherwise.

To be honest there is not much further you can go in terms of car modelling, at least in terms of adding polygons to cars. Even if the next console allows PD to add another million polygons per car, there is simply no need. Where would those polys go? To make the already perfectly smooth surfaces smoother? As you said, diminishing returns. The rest of the realism will come from textures, shaders, lightning and animations, not more polygons.

Damage model and modelling the parts beneath the surface is something that can be done to existing cars, again no need to remodel anything. I've imported FH3 and F4 models to Blender before, internal structures of the cars are separate pieces (even though you don't notice it in game) and not part of the car's exterior. If PD wants to add internal structures of the car they can do it without remodelling what they currently have. Same thing with damage.

And let's be honest, If PD started modelling engines and trunks of cars, the fanbase (me included) would complain about wasting precious modelling time on useless things instead of more cars or tracks.

The point is, it doesn't matter if the assets are 2 or 5 or 10 years old if they look good. I played around in GT5 photo travel recently and most of those cars still look at least on par with many recent games, despite being 8-10 years old and dating back to GT5 prologue. And the GTS models are even more detailed. Now we just need more of them.

Back