Kazunori Yamauchi Receives Honorary Doctorate Degree from University of Modena & Reggio Emilia

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Oct 30, 2017.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

alp, kalakanto, Shahar and 16 others like this.
  2. AJFast12

AJFast12

When your a high level, but the game requires you to complete the tutorial.

3. photonrider

photonrider Premium

Congrats, Yamauchi-San.

Now you're all up to speed.

4. Obelisk

Obelisk Premium

Congrats, Dr. Yamauchi! I think this is a well-deserved doctorate degree for someone who cares so much about his game.

markasred and ProjectF like this.
  5. CodeCmdr

CodeCmdr

Someone's well connected...

HarVee and ghostrider135 like this.
  6. breyzipp

breyzipp

Great news! Now back to the office to create GT:S part 2 please. :)

7. Nielsen

Nielsen

Just my thoughts. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but handing this award over to Kaz in 2017 is almost a joke.

8. ghostrider135

ghostrider135

Bear in mind that even Jeremy Clarkson has an honorary doctorate, A man who thinks everything can be fixed with a hammer.

Man of Wheel likes this.
  9. CodeCmdr

CodeCmdr

What I don't understand is why he's getting the award for “technical mastery of auto simulation, high level of competency with auto mechanics, and promotion of excellence in the auto industry.” The last part I can agree with, but the creation of the simulation was surely done by other employees of Polyphony. I'd be really pissed off if I were one of the engineers at PD.

I hope the students at that lecture learned that it's the project managers who get fame and glory, and if they want that, they're better off not pursing a career in engineering.

Rebellion765 and Imari like this.
  10. JockeP22

JockeP22

Now that is avatar-worthy.

11. ArR29

ArR29

I think Kaz also work for creating the physic simulation in the early years of Gran Turismo? I read it somewhere but I can't remember exactly.

12. Siren

Siren

There's an interesting quote from the movie Steve Jobs

Woz - "How come 10 times in a day I hear Steve Jobs is a genius? What do you do?"
    Steve - "I play the Orchestra, & you're a good musician you sit right there and you're the best in your row"

13. CConspicuous

CConspicuous

Rumours going around that he's inline for one from Brunel in the UK.

14. G2587

G2587

Hahaha!!!! Yes please. At least a DLC or something. I don't even play it anymore because there's nothing else to do. I've raced every single car type on every single track type, online and arcade. All licenses and challenges are completed as well. So I guess it's back to GTA 5?

15. retrostate

retrostate Premium

I mean, the original Gran Turismo games, along with other sims of the era, both flight and driving were groundbreaking really. They opened up a development path for modern auto manufacturers, racing teams and everyone to use simulation to push the limits of what the car was capable of. Yes the team do the work under his direction, but while not a direct link, Kaz is definitely one of the forefathers of how every modern racing and road car is designed, tested and improved today. They are using the exact same technology to reach their goal, be it a game or a pro-sim. And in the early days, very few had the belief in digital simulation to push it any further. For that Kaz should be congratulated!
    Furthermore, Those games influenced an entire generation of Engineers, racing drivers and designers to pursue that career. I’ve never once met anybody in the automotive business who didn’t know what Gran Turismo was.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  16. Lee x sensai

Lee x sensai

He getting another degree ? Do you know what he getting ? Please tell me and thank.

17. CConspicuous

CConspicuous

No idea, but based on the fact that it's Brunel, probably Computer Science.

18. Lee x sensai

Lee x sensai

Computer science is possible since he start playing RPG game on computer.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  19. citroengt1

citroengt1

Wow.

I did not expect this to pop on GTPlanet.

Seems Kaz is now Dr. Yama.

20. HarVee

HarVee

Create a video game. Get a doctorate.

Meanwhile, at University of Virginia...

Rebellion765 and Imari like this.
  21. BarbarianGoth

BarbarianGoth (Banned)

Butchers GT and gets a doctorate :banghead:

22. Corsa

Corsa Premium

"Technical mastery of auto simulation"

:odd:

Well, he has done better in this life than I, so I will not hate.
    Congrats Kaz.

photonrider likes this.
  23. photonrider

photonrider Premium

:tup:

He pushed every possible automotive dream.
    That birthed much of the amazingly ambitious automotive technology of today.
    Kaz is bits and pieces to everybody; very few even have access to larger slices of his pie - to judge him inconsequentially from one perspective is only perceiving a facet of the man. The more one studies him, the greater the grasp that this humble man (however inscrutable at times) has had an enormous impact on the auto industry - and all the spokes in its wheel, from the creatively astounding engineering behind concept cars to the everyday impact on car buyers and car-lovers all over the world when it came to their own beat up sedan in the driveway.
    As for the rest of the record - it's quite an eye-boggling list.

This is a way of thanking him. A nod to his neurones - that, having shown their proficiency not just in the accumulation of knowledge but in their capacity also to execute that data creatively with an imagination that stretched our own, as well as (and this is the core point:) the imagination and ambitions of the auto-engineering and -design industries - need to be acknowledged as credible (even authoritarian) - if only on paper.

This means that now when the good Doctor says "Take a pill," you'd better believe him.:)

Johnnypenso, retrostate and Obelisk like this.
  24. YZF

YZF

And shoes

25. CodeCmdr

CodeCmdr

Which car technology has he worked on? Which concept car has he designed?

He's extremely passionate and dedicated to making racing games. He deserves a degree in marketing for making cars sexy to a wide audience, and giving the automotive industry a new channel to present their (not his) brand and products. But engineering? Naw.

Johnnypenso and Imari like this.
  26. Imari

Imari

Nope. Akihiko Tan.

No, not at all. At every stage of history Gran Turismo was substantially behind the curve when it came to simulation. Gran Turismo did a great job of popularising realistic racing games, but it did absolutely nothing for simulation.

For that you should be giving doctorates to Geoff Crammond, Dave Kaemmer, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

27. The Chosen One

The Chosen One

bam·boo·zle
    /bamˈbo͞ozəl/

verb
    informal
    verb: bamboozle; 3rd person present: bamboozles; past tense: bamboozled; past participle: bamboozled; gerund or present participle: bamboozling
    1. fool or cheat (someone).
      "Kaz bamboozled the neighborhood boys into getting a doctorate for him"
      • confound or perplex.
        "bamboozled by the number of savings plans being offered"

28. trustjab

trustjab

Are people upset about this or something? Is it only for one person in the world? Did Kaz steal it from a more deserving person? I legitimately don't get why this is a problem or even a big deal to the average person. What does it change?

29. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

This might come as a shock to you, but people can have a conversation, a discussion, and...egads..even disagreement, vehement disagreement even!, without being upset about it. The level of exaggeration in your post is disturbing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Northstar and Imari like this.
  30. trustjab

trustjab

I exaggerated huh? :lol: I thought I asked legitimate questions, which you didn't answer. So I take it that people are upset about it, but why? What does it matter? Did he steal the award from someone more deserving? Is this only awarded to one person? Is him receiving an award a problem? What about him speaking about PD's way of replicating car physics? Is that bad? These are legitimate questions, not exaggerations like your claim.