Kazunori Yamauchi Responds to Gran Turismo 7 Fan Outrage

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,031 comments
I saw a whole lotta Karens complaining over this downtime. Must be a alot of people who dont know the microtransactions been around for over 10 years now.... They are not going away folks. Lastly they do not seem to rememeber when PSN was down for over 30 days.. This was slightly amnoying but def not worthy of having credits given. Its not how it works folks.

If you're going to release a game and charge what they do for it then that game needs to be playable to completion from the outset.

If it costs 300M credits to buy all the cars there should be a reasonable way to earn those credits through the normal course of the game - i.e there should be enough unique events to get most of the way there, we'd all accept a bit of grinding for the last few million.

What we are all struggling with is we all paid a considerable sum for whatever version we bought and it's rendered useless without either the internet or a PD server, on top of that it seems the model (at launch) is to attempt to force us to pay for content. I get that there'll be DLC and ways to buy a car with cash instead of credits - surely £1 - £3 per car is reasonable? A 12M credit Jag is gonna set you back £96 and that's more than the cost of the game!!

They'd better start pushing out challenges or whatever they have up their sleeve to get us more credits soon or it'll seriously damage the playability, currently if you want to tune a car you're going to have to do 5-10 races just to pay for the upgrades!
As for that Ferrari invite I've got that expires in a couple of days, I'm never gonna get the £3.6M for the FXX and I'll be damned if I'm paying £16 for 2M credits, that's bordering on robbery - £1 for 1M and I'll think about it.

I didn't spend my hard earned on a game that'll be really good in 6 months. It needs to be good now.

I'm not buying GT8 at launch.

In GT7 I would like to have users enjoy lots of cars and races even without microtransactions.
At the same time the pricing of cars is an important element that conveys their value and rarity, so I do think it’s important for it to be linked with the real world prices.
I want to make GT7 a game in which you can enjoy a variety of cars lots of different ways, and if possible would like to try to avoid a situation where a player must mechanically keep replaying certain events over and over again.
I don't get it with the whole "I would like", "if possible", etc. kind of talk. Isn't it his game? Then do something about it and don't make everyone wait forever for it. Jeez. The least they could do is undo the 1.07/1.08 credit nerfs.

Last edited:
I saw a whole lotta Karens complaining over this downtime. Must be a alot of people who dont know the microtransactions been around for over 10 years now.... They are not going away folks. Lastly they do not seem to rememeber when PSN was down for over 30 days.. This was slightly amnoying but def not worthy of having credits given. Its not how it works folks.

Let's just ignore that the game shouldn't need to be online at all to function. Oh wait, we wouldn't want people to cheat; that might hurt microtransaction sales.

Have microtransactions been around for 10 years in $70 games?

R.jpg

Last edited:
Someone here said it well. Instead of reducing the payouts offline, why not increase the payouts online considering that's one of the main draws that PD wants. Then for the Manufacturers and Nations Cups, they can have a bonus say 5-10x more since they are supposed to be "tighter" competition than regular daily races.

Are you in bed with EA? 💩

View attachment 1125932

Let's just ignore that the game shouldn't need to be online at all to function.

Have microtransactions been around for 10 years in $70 games?
For AAA games I think it's been about 10 years. I feel like it really started in sports games with FIFA ultimate team which started in 2009.

Agreed on the first part though.

I was still able to play single player gran turismo and progress the career mode during that big psn outage.....

This "apology" is emptier than a bag of chips, zero self awareness and statements that contradict what's going on in the game right now.
The opposite is true, you're experiencing cognitive dissonance, because your problem has been acknowledged, but you want continue the vitriol... I would suggest boot up GT7 and enjoy yourself now its back, and wait and see what happens. The elephant in the room is the game pretty damn amazing despite its flaws.

How about solutions instead of whining?, we seem to have their ear...

Something as simple as a regular sale in the dealership is all that's needed to fix this... It would be compelling if they rotate stock regularly (daily please?), who doesn't want to rummage a sale?

How about a scrapyard / barn-find area, where you could gradually amass the parts to build a car at a lower price (run it as a cheap slightly jank banger edition lol) you could have unicorns earlier this way, but still pay through the nose to get them to SEMA show level standard. You would have an evolving journey with the car this way if they stretched the upgrades so you play each increment rather than jump straight to the max (im guilty of even doing maxed out builds without trying stock cars lol)

Last edited:
The opposite is true, you're experiencing cognitive dissonance, because your problem has been acknowledged, but you want continue the vitriol... I would suggest boot up GT7 and enjoy yourself now its back, and wait and see what happens. The elephant in the room is the game pretty damn amazing despite its flaws.

Something as simple as a regular sale in the dealership is all that's needed to fix this... It would be compelling if they rotate stock regularly (daily please?), who doesn't want to rummage a sale?

How about a scrapyard / barn-find area, where you could gradually amass the parts to build a car at a lower price maybe award parts as incentives to complete seasonal missions?
Great post...!!!

ludicrous statement, especially the last sentence

yes, ofc i would like to see the product grow... but beyond an already finished product, expanded further

as many stated already, this is not a beta, nor early access, nor discounted... this is a full release at full price

and one thing these unfinished products all have in common, is a rocksolid mtx implementation and an according economy, fomo mechanics included.

sure content might be missing, players might experience bugs but mtx are always working like clockwork day 1

Downtime is to be expected with a patch. But the game is worthless during that downtime.

Even with PSN down for 30 days you still could play the games you own and enjoy them.

Yeah MTX have been around for long enough. But they should at least give some value to the player. I would be totally ok with special cars that can be bought via MTX instead of Cr.

For AAA games I think it's been about 10 years. I feel like it really started in sports games with FIFA ultimate team which started in 2009.

Agreed on the first part though.
The point I was kinda making is that Sony implied they increased the price of games this generation to $70 in order to prevent microtransactions and afford newer more expensive games.

Cory-Barlog.jpg

For reference, Cory Balrog is the producer for God of War.

Last edited:

How about a scrapyard / barn-find area, where you could gradually amass the parts to build a car at a lower price (run it as a cheap slightly jank banger edition lol)
Is it a great game? Yes the driving physics are greatly improved and the graphics are better, but I can find other driving games that have better physics and similar graphics without the "game" part of it being completely broken. We have a terrible career mode and completely broken online play. I can go 6 or 7 other places and get a better racing product. Gran Turismo had a lot of credit with me cause of their history but I'm certainly not going to extend them anymore after this.

The worst outage in PD history. Staff working post earthquake. And people who call themselves "fans" spent 30 hours ******** on the game. Not one or 2 comments, the whole damn time. A real kick them while their down opportunity.

I sincerely hope they offer refunds to those who don't have the patience for a long term view. Good ridance. This place is much more plesant without you.

I do wish PD would stop using the phrase "microtransactions". £15.99 for 2 million in-game credits is not a microtransaction, it's a transaction.

Hopefully Kazunori Yamauchi's comments hint at the evolution of the game toward something more akin to GT6's approach to in-game purchases, but what Kaz, PD and Sony must understand is that the game is broken now and they are riding their luck expecting people to make do with what is currently a seriously flawed game economy for however long it takes them to correct the problem.

However, the frankly ludicrous price of their in-game credits is just plain wrong, period, and they need to be drastically altered or preferrably scrapped completely.
Macro or Maxi transactions doesn't sound as appealing as micro transactions :lol:. Kaz can't show his hand can he?

What bothered me most is this quote "At the same time the pricing of cars is an important element that conveys their value and rarity, so I do think it’s important for it to be linked with the real world prices."

This from the man that decided disallowing us to SELL the cars for a VALUE (only option is to throw it away for nothing)
well, if it's that important allow us to sell the cars for a value so we can appreciate that what we won and bought is worth something

I sincerely hope they offer refunds to those who don't have the patience for a long term view. Good ridance. This place is much more plesant without you.
Owning and playing a GT isn't a requirement of membership here, nor is it a requirement to comment on a title.

Wishing 'good riddance' to members who are following the AUP however is not acceptable, and you've been a member long enough to know that, if you can't express your views with resorting to behaviour like this, I would suggest you step away from the keyboard for a while.

Imo Mr Kaz just wants us to enjoy the game, today with the cheaper cars, and later we will have the chance to buy supercars. Have patience people! Updates are promised.

Rome was not built in 1 day neither.
GT4 had 3-4 times as many events and you could resale reward cars that you get after every race. Creating events is no different than database entries, probably not much different from the event creator in the game but with ability to select credit payout. Applying a ui box to the event is not that hard either. It is a bit of simple art and database entries linking everything up. Creating a full single player experience is probably the simplest aspect of creating a game like this. Drip feeding content is absolutely awful. Instead of adding the rest of the game over time....they could simply change the available events to different tracks and using different cars, including additional cars added later.

The opposite is true, you're experiencing cognitive dissonance, because your problem has been acknowledged, but you want continue the vitriol...
Has it though? I'm pretty sure the slashed event payouts are still in the game, are they not? How is that me trying to "continue the vitriol"?
How about solutions instead of whining?
So the entire forum yesterday was just whining and not genuinely concerned with legitimate complaints about how a full priced Sony game is catered towards microtransactions? I guess the press talking about this situation is just whining?

And mate, you can give them all the solutions you want, they won't care, we've seen them with this very update. Did they revert the event payouts after complaints? Nope.

GT4 had 3-4 times as many events and you could resale reward cars that you get after every race. Creating events is no different than database entries, probably not much different from the event creator in the game but with ability to select credit payout. Applying a ui box to the event is not that hard either. It is a bit of simple art and database entries linking everything up. Creating a full single player experience is probably the simplest aspect of creating a game like this. Drip feeding content is absolutely awful. Instead of adding the rest of the game over time....they could simply change the available events to different tracks and using different cars, including additional cars added later.
Even worse is that we already know there were more events that were withheld from release. That Jimmy Fallon video did Polyphony no favors. We saw the events they've kept from us. The lack of content right now is entirely artificial.

What bothered me most is this quote "At the same time the pricing of cars is an important element that conveys their value and rarity, so I do think it’s important for it to be linked with the real world prices."

This from the man that decided disallowing us to SELL the cars for a VALUE (only option is to throw it away for nothing)
well, if it's that important allow us to sell the cars for a value so we can appreciate that what we won and bought is worth something
We want you to know that some cars are rare and expensive and you may not be able to afford or ever drive one in the real world, so we want to convey that into Gran Turismo as well.

Everyone seems to forget games like the new Hitman trilogy.

I understand PD. These events marked the beginning. It's not their fault we play too fast. It will have more events. It will have better payouts. Soon. Have faith.
I love the Hitman trilogy. Some of the best gaming out there. Always online sucks but at least you could still play out the missions. It just wouldn't save your progress.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Don't charge maximum retail price for a game that needs to 'grow', and if you do, please reward players patience. Be honest, from a players perspective the game has been made significantly harder to enjoy, not a great tactic for the long haul.

Do not snatch defeat at the jaws of victory, do the right thing, reduce the grind. This is so close to being the best racing game of all time - please make it so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back