Kazunori Yamauchi to Present "Motorsport of the Future" Conference in Paris

• Thread starter Famine
  • 83 comments
This guy is adding minivans to GT but then wants to talk about motorsport :lol:.
IMG_9622.jpeg

My point is vans can race, because they have wheels and an engine. You can tune the Alphard and make it into a nice little touring car yourself if you want.
Well then I guess we’ll see this badboy in GT7 soon as it seems to fit that same criteria:
IMG_1353.jpeg

Any car can be tuned for racing. But who is thinking about minivans when talking about motorsport? Same goes with pickup trucks, and SUVs.

Any car can be tuned for racing. But who is thinking about minivans when talking about motorsport? Same goes with pickup trucks, and SUVs.
I mean, alongside the aforementioned Peugeot 806, these vehicles also pop up in my head...

Hoonitruck.jpg

LexusNurb.jpg

NASCAR Truck.jpg

RaptorBaja.jpg

RidglineBaja.jpg

SuperUte.jpg

TacomaPikes.jpg

...and technically speaking, all but two of those vehicle types started life as production cars.

If you're looking for good production-based pickup truck racing, I highly recommend giving the V8 SuperUtes Series that runs support to the Australian Supercars a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, alongside the aforementioned Peugeot 806, these vehicles also pop up in my head...

View attachment 1269550

View attachment 1269557

View attachment 1269552

View attachment 1269553

View attachment 1269554

View attachment 1269555

View attachment 1269556

...and technically speaking, all but two of those vehicle types started life as production cars.

If you're looking for good production-based pickup truck racing, I highly recommend giving the V8 SuperUtes Series that runs support to the Australian Supercars a chance.

MF Ghost, the sequel to Initial D, springs to mind with this. Granted, people still have personal transportation, but human-driven ICE vehicles have been all-but-replaced with Autonomous EVs. Despite that, High-end ICE cars still race in the world of the manga, and the setup shown (where Japanese Mouintain passes have been converted to full-functioning race tracks) actually kinda makes sense, and I can see something along those lines working out like that in the next 20-30 years or so.
Going back to my original point, I think it’s funny that Kaz is trying to have a voice in motorsport with the content he’s added to the game. You’ve provided a list of vehicles that aren’t in the game. Kind of just reinforces my point.

And again, when thinking of Motorsport you aren’t thinking of F1, Indycar, gt3, GTP, or nascar. The first thing that comes to mind is a Lexus SUV? Ok.

Going back to my original point, I think it’s funny that Kaz is trying to have a voice in motorsport with the content he’s added to the game. You’ve provided a list of vehicles that aren’t in the game. Kind of just reinforces my point.
I was addressing your point that minivans and the like are ill-suited for motorsport, by presenting you a selection of pickup trucks (some being looser than others in that designation) and an SUV that have been modified for useage in different types of motorsport (while also echoing the user who presented the Peugeot 806 that qualified 12th in the 1995 Spa 24). Whether or not they're in GT7 doesn't change the fact that these vehicles exist, nor does it take anything away from their varying motorsport pedigrees.

As for the insinuation that Kaz is ill-suited to talk about motorsport because minivans get added to GT7, that is purely a false-equivalence. Don't get me wrong, there are some things regarding cars and games that I very much disagree with Kaz on, but MPVs being added to GT7 alone doesn't make him unqualified to have a voice on motorsport.
And again, when thinking of Motorsport you aren’t thinking of F1, Indycar, gt3, GTP, or nascar. The first thing that comes to mind is a Lexus SUV? Ok.
Firstly, one of the examples I gave was literally a group of NASCAR vehicles racing. Secondly, F1, Indycar, Sportscar Racing and NASCAR do not encompass all of motorsports on their own. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably needs to expand their horizons a bit.

That Lexus SUV also has the accolade of being the first hybrid vehicle to finish a major 24 Hour Endurance, that being the 2005 Nurburgring 24, where it finished 79th overall despite not having power steering for 3/4ths of the race. Just finishing the race is no small feat for any car, be it a top-flight GT3 car or a nearly bone-stock hybrid SUV.

Last edited:
Whilst not in the near term, autonomous cars less interest in the ownership and cost of them lead to a future where things are going to change.

The dynamic of competitive racing will change and we are already starting to see that with AR/VR drone racing. So we will see in time if this gets a decent foothold. It's fast, exciting and more a wipeout HD experience than say a GT or Forza experience.

In terms of racing again we are seeing autonomous race cars in their early phase which may or may not get more traction.

I think there will always be some human and mechanical racing but in reality we all see the historic cup races yet 30/40 years ago they were the bleeding (sic) edge cars of the time. Now we have advanced electronics super tight engineering tolerances and better understanding of the physics.

So going a bit Arthur C Clarke there is a version of our future where racing could become more niche through waining interest in cars in general. Mobility is trending towards becoming a commodity. Drones can do things we can't, imagine Sophy racing in a real car the way it did in the game.

There will always be a deep seated human need to compete but it's a possibilities the paradigms for that competition may well change in the coming decades.

Whilst not in the near term, autonomous cars less interest in the ownership and cost of them lead to a future where things are going to change.

The dynamic of competitive racing will change and we are already starting to see that with AR/VR drone racing. So we will see in time if this gets a decent foothold. It's fast, exciting and more a wipeout HD experience than say a GT or Forza experience.

In terms of racing again we are seeing autonomous race cars in their early phase which may or may not get more traction.

I think there will always be some human and mechanical racing but in reality we all see the historic cup races yet 30/40 years ago they were the bleeding (sic) edge cars of the time. Now we have advanced electronics super tight engineering tolerances and better understanding of the physics.

So going a bit Arthur C Clarke there is a version of our future where racing could become more niche through waining interest in cars in general. Mobility is trending towards becoming a commodity. Drones can do things we can't, imagine Sophy racing in a real car the way it did in the game.

There will always be a deep seated human need to compete but it's a possibilities the paradigms for that competition may well change in the coming decades.

I also look to modern day F1 and prototypes/hypercars. There is an upper region of how much sustained g-forces and jarring the human can sustain over an extended period of time. We seem to be quickly approaching that threshold at the pinnacles of modern motor sports.

Last edited:
I tried to watch it, but I can't either Japanese or French and there wasn't any subtitles available either, but it was showing footage from GT7 and Sophy AI.

And also the intro from GT6...

We'll be running up a summary later, including the Q&A.
Including the Q&A? Is this including or excluding the 2 minute long question about, amongst others, if Shigeru Miyamoto helped work on Gran Turismo? Even the French people I was watching with struggled with that beast of a question.

Including the Q&A? Is this including or excluding the 2 minute long question about, amongst others, if Shigeru Miyamoto helped work on Gran Turismo? Even the French people I was watching with struggled with that beast of a question.
What question in the world requires a complete monologue to be asked 🤣

What actually was the question???

Yeah, he was even asking about car crashes... which I guess is appropriate. It pivoted across so many things in such a relatively short period of time. Dude sounded like the French version of Ox from the Simpsons/Flying Hellfish.

Last edited:
Back