Kazunori Yamauchi to Present "Motorsport of the Future" Conference in Paris

• Thread starter Famine
  • 83 comments
surely they could just ramp it up slightly, you know.. to give their loyal fanbase what they've been asking for 2yrs now & not overshoot themselves..?
Could they? We just don't know. besides, I'm not sure loyalty factors in. Kaz"ain't studying that. He expects us "loyal" players to just accept licence tests for new to the franchise players, so "loyal us remember how it was when we first played Gran Turismo.

Having said all of that, Yamauchi acknowledged how that might come across to franchise’s long-term, hard-core fans, and directly acknowledged recent criticisms. “Some of the core users of Gran Turismo might feel a lot of this stuff that’s appearing in the game to be kind of redundant and explaining too much. There will be characters appearing in car dealerships, in the tuning shops, and at the races, explaining all these different things to them, and I’m sure some of them will be like ‘Oh, just skip all this, we don’t need this’.

“But I want them to kind of remember the feeling they had when they first started playing these games, when they first discovered all of these things for themselves, and imagine how this will get across to the new generation.”
The not having new 2023 cars was answered. Having cars from past games is also a possible known reason due to licencing. Again, we just won't know until Kaz wants us to know. That or someone, somewhere, shares something, from their own account:

so "loyal us remember how it was when we first played Gran Turismo.
im sure we all remember, thats why we keep coming back..
its just weird that Kaz believes telling people what they want is a better way to run a company than giving people what they want..
i guess he needs everyone to jump ship to another title for him to realise it..

im sure we all remember, thats why we keep coming back..
its just weird that Kaz believes telling people what they want is a better way to run a company than giving people what they want..
i guess he needs everyone to jump ship to another title for him to realise it..
On the other hand tho, the numbers justify the formula. Because each iteration of Gran Turismo sells like hotcakes.

surely they could just ramp it up slightly, you know.. to give their loyal fanbase what they've been asking for 2yrs now & not overshoot themselves..?
This may sound cynical, but Polyphony is aiming to sell games and make money, and it has such tremendous brand recognition that there's little incentive to spend more money on making the content base larger when it likely won't increase sales very much. Their reputation has been tarnished only slightly by a decade with three consecutive games of mixed critical reception, much like Pokémon.

The optimistic part of me in the hopium den reckons that GT7 was a necessary bit of revenue collection to fund GT8's ambitious Sophy-integrated GT League and 800+ cars.
We can dream.

Aside, what have the loyal fanbase been asking for for 2 years? The LFA and Silverstone have been absent for 6, and Pikes Peak for 22.

this is my point...
It would be if that was how the finances worked.

SIE (publisher) pays PD (developer) to develop the game, SIE takes the profits from game sales. The amount of money SIE gives PD to develop the game is not directly related to sales - in the sense of either proportional or hypothecated - although if a game sells well, it certainly doesn't harm the budget for the next one.

Sim racing? The first racing game with simulation pretensions on a home system is believed to have been Chequered Flag, released by Psion on the 8-bit ZX Spectrum in 1983. REVS, followed in 1986. REVS was a Formula 3 sim that delivered a semi-realistic driving experience by Geoff Crammond that ran on the Commodore 64 and BBC these and the first real Sim Racing games. No Kazyou did not create it. Indianapolis 500: The Simulation is a 1989 computer game for MS-DOS game and prob the 1st game that got me hooked on sim racing as well as all of Geoff Crammond F1 games.

The first racing game with simulation pretensions on a home system is believed to have been Chequered Flag, released by Psion on the 8-bit ZX Spectrum in 1983. REVS, followed in 1986.
Thank you, Wikipedia.
No Kazyou did not create it.
Nor did he say that he did. It might be worth you reading the article, wherein I placed some pretty obvious caveats.

Last edited:
This may sound cynical, but Polyphony is aiming to sell games and make money, and it has such tremendous brand recognition that there's little incentive to spend more money on making the content base larger when it likely won't increase sales very much. Their reputation has been tarnished only slightly by a decade with three consecutive games of mixed critical reception, much like Pokémon.

The optimistic part of me in the hopium den reckons that GT7 was a necessary bit of revenue collection to fund GT8's ambitious Sophy-integrated GT League and 800+ cars.
We can dream.

Aside, what have the loyal fanbase been asking for for 2 years? The LFA and Silverstone have been absent for 6, and Pikes Peak for 22.
Well said. The problem is that Gran Turismo may already be past the best days of the franchise but PD/Sony still gets away with delivering less content and a game that’s less fun (imho) because so many cars are unobtanium without grinding.
I think GT7 could have been a much better game gameplay wise, PD are resting on their laurels cause they know they can.

We'd need the actual Arcade Mode accessible for that. For some reason it's only available offline.
Bizarre…ain’t it? There’d be nothing stopping PD from unlocking all cars offline. It would give players a chance to try all cars( I mean, all tracks are unlocked. Do the same for the cars, in that mode). Still sucks about no saving, but dang, let the players live for two hours each end of month.

They did increase teams over the years.
They're even outsourcing car modelling to accelerate production

Last edited:
I don’t usually pull out logical fallacies when replying to people but comparing a minivan to a riding lawnmower is kind of a false equivalence, isn’t it? Obviously they’re not going to put lawn care equipment as a playable vehicle in a circuit racing game. My point is that any sort of wheeled vehicle that could realistically be used on a track including minivans, trucks, SUVs, etc have inherent value in a racing game and add variety. I don’t think you need your hand held to understand that.
To some, racing mini vans is as preposterous as racing lawnmowers, though I think you have taken a light hearted reply more seriously than its intent. The point I was making is that just because someone somewhere races a type of vehicle, does not mean it's a good idea for a racing game. Ymmv.

But again, PD introduce a type of vehicle, and rather than adding at least two options/versions of the same type of vehicle, to actually justify and set up a race, they have one vehicle that stands out like a sore thumb. And that leads to a race with one type of vehicle, usually in default colours/livery, when people are forced to use it, emphasizing the lack of variety for certain types of vehicle.

It’s Kaz’s world and we’re just living in it.

In all seriousness, his comments around adding recent car models into the game isn’t really surprising, but it makes me wonder if car manufacturers take the presentation of their cars in Gran Turismo more seriously than in other games/sims.

This is really hard to believe, but then again, I don’t work in car design or manufacturing.

You would think that manufacturers would have all of the design & test data on hand and aren’t just throwing concepts straight into production like this would suggest. Maybe the start of production is much closer to release than I am thinking and PD wants production car specs?

I think the key to this is "all" and "textures".

While most things are determined well ahead of production, you would be surprised how late in the day things like body colours and interior trim are decided. And then changed for the first year refresh.
With General Motors, after the design and prototype phases, several hundred cars are produced and leased out. The process is actually fairly transparent if one looks up the EV-1, the major difference being that those first vehicles are usually sold at a reduced price after the lease ends (EV-1's were disabled or crushed). Those vehicles remain on the road through their natural lifespan. The initial lessees review the vehicle and recommend changes.
My Dad worked for the Oklahoma City GM plant from the day it opened until he retired some 15-20 years later. He was on the crew that produced the first Citation and the Pontiac 6000. Both cars went through that process. The first Citation is literally hanging on the wall at State Fair Park, one look would show you the difference in materials used. Daddy bought a 6000 after it came back from the Product Evaluation lease, as did a few of his co workers...and they weren't limited to just what their plant was building. He talked more about this when two PEV vehicles came back after being purchased, one was his 6000 with mis matching exterior door handles, the other was a half ton truck that said "Chevrolet Silverado" on one side and "GMC Sierra" on the other.
The PEV leases were six months long.
Ford has some examples, too. The 1995 and 1996 1/2 Expeditions are very different vehicles. The 1995 version became the Explorer Sport Eddie Bauer in 1996. It's a tiny SUV. The 96 1/2 models were the first full size Expeditions and were sold alongside two versions of the F-150, the outgoing 9th Gen and incoming 10th gen...as a marketing test of the new design's viability. There is no equivalent of the F-250 from 1997 to 1998, the "F-250"'s sold in those years are half ton trucks with a higher payload capacity. The 3/4 ton Super Duty model was in development until 1999.

Just a side note, maybe Hagerty's should sell that first Citation in game for stupid money, and maybe we can have a 1998 F-250 alongside it for 33,000 credits.

Back