Kazunori Yamauchi to Present "Motorsport of the Future" Conference in Paris

• Thread starter Famine
  • 83 comments
What question in the world requires a complete monologue to be asked 🤣

What actually was the question???
From what I gathered (99% courtesy of a French friend I was watching with because my base level French couldn't get me through 0.1% of this bad boy):

• Started with asking why the Gran Turismo OST isn't easily accessible online (valid)
  • Then decided to ask if there would be a Resident Evil conference by Capcom.
  • Then asked about the origins of Gran Turismo.. which was literally the topic of the conference and was covered by Kaz already.
  • Asked if Shigeru Miyamoto helped produce the games.
  • Asked about car crashes, but not really GT related and instead just saying that.. he wants to know if the cars are safe before buying them?

Then to top it all off, he just sort of moaned down the microphone.
The translators facial expression sums it up.

1688820806178.png

Yes. I don't know what Kaz answered because I was stunlocked by the question. I think it goes without saying that he didn't tell them Miyamoto works on Gran Turismo though.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I gathered (99% courtesy of a French friend I was watching with because my base level French couldn't get me through 0.1% of this bad boy):

• Started with asking why the Gran Turismo OST isn't easily accessible online (valid)
  • Then decided to ask if there would be a Resident Evil conference by Capcom.
  • Then asked about the origins of Gran Turismo.. which was literally the topic of the conference and was covered by Kaz already.
  • Asked if Shigeru Miyamoto helped produce the games.
  • Asked about car crashes, but not really GT related and instead just saying that.. he wants to know if the cars are safe before buying them?
Yeah, that's pretty much where I was at. The Resident Evil bit threw me though.
I don't know what Kaz answered because I was stunlocked by the question. I think it goes without saying that he didn't tell them Miyamoto works on Gran Turismo though.
He did not, but he did say something interesting on the origin part. The rest of it was pretty justifiably ignored :D

EEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH.

I was surprised by how surprised everyone was about the Gundam bit though, considering we covered that in 2018.

Much of the presentation was pretty familiar in fact - Kaz actually apologised at the start in case there were GT fans to whom it would appear familiar...

Last edited:
I can get pics of racing lawnmowers too, don't want to see them in a GT game either. ;):lol:

With regards to the amount of time it seemingly takes to create a model of a car for the game, does anyone ever ask him at any point if they are employing more people to do it, to speed up the production? :confused:
I don’t usually pull out logical fallacies when replying to people but comparing a minivan to a riding lawnmower is kind of a false equivalence, isn’t it? Obviously they’re not going to put lawn care equipment as a playable vehicle in a circuit racing game. My point is that any sort of wheeled vehicle that could realistically be used on a track including minivans, trucks, SUVs, etc have inherent value in a racing game and add variety. I don’t think you need your hand held to understand that.

It’s Kaz’s world and we’re just living in it.

In all seriousness, his comments around adding recent car models into the game isn’t really surprising, but it makes me wonder if car manufacturers take the presentation of their cars in Gran Turismo more seriously than in other games/sims.

...they don’t necessarily have all the information we need to give us as soon as the models come out...

This is really hard to believe, but then again, I don’t work in car design or manufacturing.

You would think that manufacturers would have all of the design & test data on hand and aren’t just throwing concepts straight into production like this would suggest. Maybe the start of production is much closer to release than I am thinking and PD wants production car specs?

It’s Kaz’s world and we’re just living in it.

In all seriousness, his comments around adding recent car models into the game isn’t really surprising, but it makes me wonder if car manufacturers take the presentation of their cars in Gran Turismo more seriously than in other games/sims.

This is really hard to believe, but then again, I don’t work in car design or manufacturing.

You would think that manufacturers would have all of the design & test data on hand and aren’t just throwing concepts straight into production like this would suggest. Maybe the start of production is much closer to release than I am thinking and PD wants production car specs?
I posted this in the General Discussion thread.
Continuing with new cars to GT7 and Kaz’ mention of eight months to complete a car for GT7. The SF23 cars were tested over the entire 2022 season. However, they were revealed at Suzuka, in October, 2022.

Both cars debuted beginning of April and we got the update end of April. PD would have had access to the chassis a bit before October when the final bodywork was signed off. Pretty spot on for eight months.
For the real cars, we see from the Super Formula article, how it could take PD that long to model and implement the data needed to simulate these particular cars.

Another, would be the Gr.4 Supra. That car raced in the 2019 Nurburgring 24H. At the time, we only had the road car. Once the race car specs were determined, PD offered the Nurburgring ‘19 livery version, with race car aero parts and actually mention it has The road car interior. However, the real concept/test Supra GT4 cars had two varying interiors, while the final GT4 spec car, released at the end of that year and made available to customers in 2020, has a completely different interior.

I don’t know how a VGT design team come up with their test data. Maybe the VGT cars can be done with no “real” testing. Depending on a brand‘s concept, maybe data is borrowed from a similar drivetrain car in that brand: FR, MR sports car or hyper car or race car. Maybe PD help by loading data from a previous VGT as baseline numbers and tweak from there. Again, I don’t know.

If they are taking that long to produce the cars models for 'Sim Racing 7', it could be a long wait.

No doubt that the cars for the next game will need to take a little bit longer too. :rolleyes::banghead:
I had the (secret) hope when Herman Hulst visited PD that heads would go round the floor....as cars taking 6 months to render and the overall disaster of the game in my opinion is managements fault....and is all on Kaz to be honest, but there were there the two of them, taking photos and smiling.....
what do I know right!?

Last edited:

I think the key to this is "all" and "textures".

While most things are determined well ahead of production, you would be surprised how late in the day things like body colours and interior trim are decided. And then changed for the first year refresh.

I don’t usually pull out logical fallacies when replying to people but comparing a minivan to a riding lawnmower is kind of a false equivalence, isn’t it? Obviously they’re not going to put lawn care equipment as a playable vehicle in a circuit racing game. My point is that any sort of wheeled vehicle that could realistically be used on a track including minivans, trucks, SUVs, etc have inherent value in a racing game and add variety. I don’t think you need your hand held to understand that.
I could be wrong but I think he's talking about these? If he is then it's highly unlikely that lawnmowers would be added.

Attachments

• 5bcb093b-ca82-489d-805d-ae989f2210ef.jpg
    5bcb093b-ca82-489d-805d-ae989f2210ef.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 8a681283008ea8f3139307cda90337e3.jpeg.jpg
    8a681283008ea8f3139307cda90337e3.jpeg.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 10
I had the (secret) hope when Herman Hulst visited PD that heads would go round the floor....as cars taking 6 months to render and the overall disaster of the game in my opinion is managements fault....and is all on Kaz to be honest, but there were there the two of them, taking photos and smiling.....
what do I know right!?
The car modelling is going to take a big chunk of time,the more complex these graphics and consoles get the more work they will have to do on cars.
Hulst knows this since his team spent 6 years at Guerrilla Games making Horizon Zero Dawn,he knows he reality of game dev better than me and you

The car modelling is going to take a big chunk of time,the more complex these graphics and consoles get the more work they will have to do on cars.
Hulst knows this since his team spent 6 years at Guerrilla Games making Horizon Zero Dawn,he knows he reality of game dev better than me and you
And anyone who has driven in cockpit view/vr since GTS, knows how intricate these interiors are. The way PD has nailed the different textures and how the light affects the look, will surely agree that what PD has done, is nothing short of amazing

sure, thats why since GT4 sales have fall down a cliff right?

Sales also fell off because PS3 came out stumbling and the 360 had a big leg up at first. It didn't help GT5 also got delayed, along with racing games in general taking a back seat to other genres, mainly shooters and action games. It's only really recently that we see an uptick in racing games.

this is what ive wanted someone to ask since day one..
surely they have enough of our money to expand the production team by now...???
Logic would tell me it’s probably marginally money-related. As in, I’m guessing even 10 more devs of the needed level, would cost at least a few million a year.

But moreover, it’s probably a case of not wanting too many cooks in the kitchen, when it comes to rendering the cars

Last edited:
Don't see how that's related to car modelling
this is what ive wanted someone to ask since day one..
surely they have enough of our money to expand the production team by now...???
I suspect that it has to do with PD wanting to not overshoot their budget so it gives them more leeway with sales expectations,sure they could hire 300 more devs to accelerate production but that means Sony will be expecting alot more from sales and PD might lose some of their creative independence

Last edited:
Don't see how that's related to car modelling

I suspect that it has to do with PD wanting to not overshoot their budget so it gives them more leeway with sales expectations,sure they could hire 300 more devs to accelerate production but that means Sony will be expecting alot more from sales and PD might lose some of their creative independence
surely they could just ramp it up slightly, you know.. to give their loyal fanbase what they've been asking for 2yrs now & not overshoot themselves..?

Back