Kei Central

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 817 comments
Australia
Australia
All things kei related. Classic, current, concept, custom, favorite, racer.

One of, if not the first: Auto Sandal FS
maxresdefault.jpg

L6NVOuXZphBwR7vZGLXWUbzdJ3zihchQhC9Wc1bY9Ni5VcbpM_AsE-vNHENetpEoEmrCRoBXbRv0HU_5f_4gD7Bcr0mtH_1DIq0vkS7M63aNuLsCMeYlLOemxkx4=w300-h225-nc

Suzuki Hustler
51554104LF009.JPG

Daihatsu Copen Shooting Brake
event-151224005-1.jpg

Daihatsu Cast Sport Racer
images

Last edited:
g13bcappa.4.jpg

g13bcappa.5.jpg

>take Suzuki's most beloved Kei-car
>shoehorn in the engine bay one of Suzuki's most glorious engines, the 1300cc 16v G13B.
>add a turbo for good measure
>win at life

Attachments

• g13bcappa.1.jpg
    g13bcappa.1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 18
  • g13bcappa.2.jpg
    g13bcappa.2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 19
  • g13bcappa.3.jpg
    g13bcappa.3.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 19
Here are a few interesting Kei cars that aren't talked about enough. None of these made an appearance in GT.

1972-1978 Subaru Rex GSR:

The GSR was the sportiest model of the first-generation Rex. Featuring a fine-tuned suspension and sports tires, it was a star at taking tight turns. It's tiny two-cylinder engine produced 37 horsepower at most, which doesn't seem like much at all. However, this car was much lighter than it's competition, weighing in at under 500kg.

2004-2009 Daihatsu Trevis GT:

The GT was the sportiest and most upmarket trim of the uniquely-designed Daihatsu Trevis. Visually, it was a smaller, but more modern rendition of the original Mini Cooper. It's engine was not supercharged, but still produced 63 horsepower, which was powerful by lei-car standards. The Trevis GT was never sold in Japan (sold only in Europe).

1981 Suzuki CV1:

CV1 was perhaps Suzuki's most daring attempt at creating a new kei car, besides the Cappuccino. "CV" stood for Community Vehicle, and it was supposed to be "the kei vehicle of the future". Powered by a 50cc engine, it was not fast at all, topping out at 21 mph. It was very light, though, weighing 160kg. Unfortunately, the CV1 never really caught on with the Japanese public, therefore only a small batch of these were sold.

-> ...
^ Um, the City was never classified as a Kei.

======
-> I simply love the JDM-spec Jimnys! These things are so epic that it rolls with the usual JDM tuner scene, this HyperREV proves it:

image_538873cd994ea_1.jpeg

1990-Suzuki-Jimny-all-stock-8.jpg

suzuki-jimny-b59d27e989.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

suzuki-jimny-drifting-105376_1.jpg

639a2bc38d5ff1b57f6067f0565483d2.jpg

^ These Kei-Jimnys is way different compared to the usual (wide-bodied) Jimny 1.3L that the whole world is familiar with!

02suzukijimny.jpg

Where I used to live, I remember seeing a Subaru Sambar with a VW Bus body kit. I've also seen at least a few kei trucks and vans around. They're tiny compared to North American vehicles.

That mini-Vandura is seriously the cutest thing ever.

Another Alto Works, a car I discovered in GT2 (as far as I can remember Suzuki was not in the original) that could be tuned to be a giant killer... I'll always remember hunting down STis and Evos around Midfield and Grand Valley in that thing. :D
Rs-Meeting-Alto-02-1200x800.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Pajero Mini probably the best base for a SWB offroad monster.

mg_0482-copy.jpg

Back when Subaru made a good Kei car the Vivio RX-R, shame it didn't get a Mini Boxer engine, would of been the most iconic Kei car imo.

Colin Mcrae even did the Safari Rally with the Vivio:
j9boyhhbiwqlgghdkrck.jpg

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

Pajero Mini probably the best base for a SWB offroad monster.

mg_0482-copy.jpg

Back when Subaru made a good Kei car the Vivio RX-R, shame it didn't get a Mini Boxer engine, would of been the most iconic Kei car imo.

Colin Mcrae even did the Safari Rally with the Vivio:
j9boyhhbiwqlgghdkrck.jpg
Say, Subaru are looking into developing 1.2L boxer NA & possibly turbo, for the Impreza in the near future. Japan being Japan, if it happens, might see some conversions, if those engines don't get applied to kei cars.

Back