Kei Central

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 817 comments
There's hardly any Mugen left.

images.jpg

Voicing my opinion on the SS40 Cervo and Mighty Boy got me looking into later versions I hadn't heard about. Enter the 3rd gen 'Airbrick'/'side alley beauty':

sfutqcvdlsgkc6qiigye.png

9283d8b39f.jpg
suzuki_cervo_535573.jpg
0b92bf4311b6ef90cb23d49ab61808b4.jpg

Giving the original coupé van-like qualities transformed it into some kind of bizarre shooting brake kei. Available with 4WD and one of the very first to utilise electric power steering, plus a partial glass roof that gave the windscreen an extended appearance. This generation only lasted two-and-a-bit years and Suzuki didn't shift many units during that time. Likely due to the Marmite styling, increased cost of tax on certain vehicles* and liberal use of "Spicy" in their marketing campaign.

*As far as I can gather, the flat folding rear bench gave it a cargo capacity that met certain commercial vehicle standards and the extra tax breaks they received originally meant buyers could get a car with extra carrying space for a price close to that of a regular 3-door kei hatchback.

Last edited:
A little Honda N-One racing, anyone?

hrtd151206017H-941x529.jpg

30.jpg

Other kei race cars are available:

Kei4-Picture-courtesy-Bertel-Schmitt2.jpg

Amused that the Caterham Seven 160 is included there. Not really a kei car in anything but its engine, but I believe Caterham has special dispensation to sell it as one in Japan. Suspect other keis would have to be quite highly tuned before they match its performance.

A great old promotional video for the 1970 line up of Subaru 360s and FF1 (called the "Star") from Subaru of America. I love how they pronounce "Subaru" as "suBARu".

Back