Killing Time!!! (in Vice City)

• Thread starter Spuds725
  • 125 comments
Spuds725
Spuds’ Killing Method

Weapon: Hunter Helicopter Auto-aim Minigun

Sustainable killing rate: About 3000-5000 kills per hour.

Location: Runway area located across from the main terminal at the airport, mostly between the "parking" entrance sign and the west fence bordering the runway-- I hover mostly about 20-30 feet up about 1/2 way between the south fence and an imaginary line run between the two light poles in this area (anywhere south of the light poles is ok so you don't run into them). This location is good in that it is very difficult for the Ranchers to get under you where you can't target them--although they do get in occasionally, they generally stay on the south side of the fence and drive past you.

Preparation: You must have access to the Hunter by either collecting 100 hidden packages or completing story line missions. Get your favorite weapons and I recommend the PSG-1 sniper rifle and get the cop uniform and save at the Mansion. If you head around the left side of the mansion (poolside not the maze side) the Sea Skimmer is always there and you can fly to Fort Baxter to get the Hunter in a few minutes. Make sure your health & armor is at maximum. When you head to Fort Baxter approach low, this seems to make the Hunter spawn more often-- if its not there, fly to the junkyard and back and make sure you approach low--its there every time I do that. After you land there, use your Sniper rifle and shoot soldiers to get you wanted level up to at least 3 stars- is easier to raise your wanted level this way then with the Hunter. By the time you are ready to start your spree you willl be at the desired 5 stars.

Method: Get a Hunter and start a Brown Thunder vigilante mission and try to get the 12th level to spawn in the runway area and do about 20-30 levels. Use your rockets and start blowing stuff up to get your wanted level up to 5 stars (if you haven't raised it previously). Keep your wanted level at 5 stars-- this makes the FBI Ranchers spawn, each of them carrying 4 FBI agents (aka pre-corpses).

Go to the killing spot and hover with the helicopter pointing south and keep your mini-gun shooting continuously and blow up the Ranchers as they drive by. Try not to get behind the “parking sign” as it blocks the bullets. By using the mini-gun instead of the rockets (besides being easier to aim) is that your wanted level rises slower then if you blow them up with rockets. When the police helicopter shows up (it will about every 90-120 seconds, blow it up with rockets--hopefully you see it approach which makes it easier) this is usually what raises your wanted level. Anytime the wanted rises to 6 stars (approximately every 8 minutes), fly over to the bribe behind Sunshine Autos and lower it back to 5 stars and then back to the killing spot (if you are good in the Hunter you can fly there and back in about 20-25 seconds)-- you can do this method without being on a vigilante but your wanted level will rise to 6 stars prior to the bribe re-spawning so you will have to fly to the one in Little Haiti to clear the 6th star this costs valuable killing time.

The purpose of killing while on vigilante is that it takes longer for your wanted level to go from 5 to 6 stars and you can keep getting the close bribe by Sunshine Autos. Also, if the Hunter starts taking damage and smoking you can complete several levels of vigilante and this will heal the chopper—if you see any smoke coming from the engines heal the Hunter.-- I recommend doing 15-20 levels each time which will build the armor up on the Hunter. If you have a good spawning point (ie the runway area) you can complete 20 levels in just a few minutes--and you still get kills but at a slightly slower rate then this method. When you are ready to go back to killing, make sure that you don’t destroy the criminals cars on the runway—let just one of them drive around but make sure you do blow up the 3rd car that usually spawns outside the airport if it does not destroy itself—if you don’t its possible for that car to end up downtown doing the loop in front of the stadium and it takes too long to fly over and kill it. The cars at the runway are close so if you take damage you can quickly fly over, kill them and heal yourself.

A conservative way of this method is every other time you have to clear a star, go and do 15-20 vigilante levels which will keep the helicopter health up and help fight boredom.

Spawning trick: The game engine hates having to keep track of too many cars (even blown up ones on screen at the same time) so if you get too many on screen, the FBI Ranchers stop spawning. A trick I figured out is to try and get the camera angle to point at the Hunter from the side but you want the road to still be visible in the shot (see pic below). Do this by moving joystick a little as you hover. If you start with the hunter near the fence pull it back a little and the camera angle will shift to the side, push it back forward a little to stop the helicopter from continuing to move but not too far or the camera angle will revert back to pointing forward. I know there are other ways to get the camera angle to the side but this method allows you to keep shooting as you get the camera in position--use whatever method is easiest for you.

By getting the angle to the side it makes the Ranchers spawn faster (I’ve had them spawn almost 1 per second before—this is 240 kills per minute—but they generally won’t keep spawning that fast for long)

Keep the Hunter pointed south with the mini-gun shooting and the Ranchers will blow up off screen but the blown up ranchers won’t register as being there so new ones will keep spawning—I am happy if I can keep one spawning every 3 seconds or so since that equates to 20 per minute which equates to 80 kills per minute. Clearing the stars and blowing up the police helicopter takes time away from this.

If you get a good spawning point/camera angle try not to touch the keypad or joystick (as this will change the camera angle and stop them from spawning so fast or the can stop entirely)

When the police helicopter shows up use your rotation buttons to turn the helicopter and your up and down buttons to try and line up your shot—if you see the police helicopter spawn in the distance, line up your angle but don’t go up until he starts to approach you, otherwise he won’t dive down at you and will likely pass over you. As he approaches, hit your up button and keep firing rockets as you rise, you should be able to shoot him as he gets close and he will pass under you. If the police helicopter is off screen and you don’t see him approach, use his tracers to try and line up your shot and just keep firing your rockets at it as you rise up to his level—the screen shakes when you hit it you won’t see it. After you shoot down the helicopter (you should know if you hit it by the sound and the screen shaking a little), use rotate so you are pointing south again and decrease your altitude til you are at a desirable height. If you keep missing the helicopter you will have to move eventually as he gets to close to you for you to kill him without taking damage. This is the hardest part of the method and takes practice to line up the shots when you can't really see the helicopter.

If you happen to get blown up cars on screen or they stop spawning, move to the east or west, and try to get the camera angle to the side again. I generally try to get the camera to point to the side of the killing area I’m on—west side pointed west, east side pointed east and you will see them spawn in the distance. Some will spawn some place else and they can blow up and end up on screen, as long as they keep spawning and blowing up don’t worry about this.

Also, it is important to only leave ONLY ONE of the vigilante criminal cars driving around-- the game has to still keep track of these which makes the FBI ranchers spawn slower-- it does make a difference in your killing rate.

Escape: Fly back to your mansion, end vigilante, and save. If you get shot down you can either try to jack an FBI Rancher and keep the vigilante alive. If you don't want to risk losing your CR points don’t try this—just run north on the runway, cross the road and go over by the billboards to the east and cut over into Little Havana. Stay behind the buildings and then cross the road to the big field that goes behind Sunshine Autos. Circle around the back side of Sunshine Autos and then save it (this is the safest route to a save point).

Advantages:
+Rate of kills
+Ease of kills.
+Hunter protects Tommy from taking health/armor damage.
+You can clear stars easily by flying to them and 3 are easily picked up without landing on the second island (1 behind Sunshine Autos, and 2 in Little Haiti).
+You can listen to the radio while killing (if you kill alot you will appreciate this)

Disadvantages:
-You can’t save while on vigilante so if you lock up or get killed or wasted you lose your stats.
-It takes at least 15 minutes (and as much as 30 minutes) to get the Hunter, raise your wanted level, and get your vigilante mission up and running (Level 25 or so).
-You are dependent upon where the vigilante spawn locks in as this affects how fast you can heal the Hunter, when the spawn occurs on the runway the third car almost always blows itself up and you can go through up to 15-20 levels in a minute if it keeps blowing up (I’ve done over 50 levels in a row without having to chase the third car).
-The spawning rate for the Ranchers varies, sometimes real fast and sometimes slow and its hard to get the camera angle to the side.
-Police Helicopter keeps interrupting your killing—slows you down.

This picture shows a desirable camera angle-- you can hear the ranchers blow up and the screen shakes but since they are off screen they keep spawning--you can see two FBI Ranchers in the pic (will be 8 corpses in about 3 seconds).

Attachments

• killspwn.jpg
    killspwn.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 391
Acidman's Killing Method

Alrighty then looks like it's my turn. My method is much simpler than Spuds method of killing, there are less variables involved which makes it simpler, but also could make it more boring/tedious, but if you are a true murderer you won't care. Also, Spuds method gets more kills per hour it looks like too.

This method will get you about 1000 kills in 30-45 mins, once you've practiced it and don't loose to much health too quickly that is.

Infront of the building by the airport that has a sign on it that says Escobar International Airport Freight and Cargo Terminal.

Preparations
This killing method works best at 100% completion. Full health/armor, Rocket Launcher, Sea Spparow.

How To Get There
Grab your Sea Sppaorw from your mansion and fly it over to the location, if you have trouble finding it start at sunshine auto's, take the first right past the hooker hotel then your next left after the hotel and you should now be in the correct area.

The Killing
Notice that right infront of the Terminal Building there is a large open space, this is where your people will spawn. If you are facing the building towards your left there will be a fenecd off area with two enterances into it. Fly your Sea Spparow into the fenced off area and park it near the lightpost in that area, and now get out. Make sure you leave the door open on your sea spparow so that it won't "dissapear" on you. Now all you basically do is just stand in the middle of the large area infront of the Terminal and let 'er rip with the rocket launcher. That's pretty much it.

Problems You May Encounter
Once you loose too much armor, just stop the killing and run back into the fenced off area with your heli and simply take off, and fly to the parking lot and at the north-most part of this parking lot there is some armor between some frieght boxes. Pick it up and return back to killing. If you loose to much health just hop in your heli and fly to either the cherry poppers ice cream factory or the hospital in downtown to get some there, both of these health icons are ontop of buildings so no worry about cops. Also when the police heli comes you must blow it up with your rocket launcher, no big deal there.

Tips
Also, when you want to get rid of your wanted level, near the terminal there should be a Top Fun van which starts the heli pickup checkpoint mission, just jump in the van and start the mission, fly the remote control heli a little ways away from the top fun van which you are in, then simply press circle to detonate it and end the mission and magically your wanted level is gone!

You can also do variations of killing in this place. Such as just using the minigun on your Sea Spparow or Hunter to kill everyone. I suggest staying behind the fenced area if you choose to kill with a heli, since the random regular cop will appear among the peds you are killing and may bust you. But not if your behind the fence wich your bullets travel through with ease.

If you have any questions concerning this method of killing please feel free to ask in this thread or just PM me.

Happy Killing!

Finally the mystery is solved-- I was wondering how you cleared your stars-- I assumed you were near a save point and reloaded or made a mad dash to a pay-n-spray.

When you get a chance, post a pic of where you stand-- nevermind if you kill on the run.

Also, how do you keep them spawning-- just keep turning around??

Well you can pretty much stand wherever you want. I've tried standing in different places but it dosen't seem to affect the spawing rate, and yeah that is a pretty good way to clear your stars eh? :D

Also, just spinning around bsacilly works quite well. You just can't spin around too fast.

I know my method sounds difficult but its really not. Just try going to the spot and don't necessarily try to get the camera angles right away. Just hover and shoot and if you get a few blown up cars on screen, move to the other end of the area and just get them off screen and more will spawn-- just takes some practice. you will occasionally get them to spawn faster for periods-- as I said the hard part is not moving the stick/pad when shooting the helicopter down if you do get a good spawn angle, and this takes practice--if you use this method you will get hours and hours and hours of practice.

The faster spawning trick will get you more kills obviously but before I figured that out by just moving back and forth, I was still getting about 400 every 10 minutes which works out to about 2400 per hour-- about the same as a good vigilante spawning spot.

Also, a fair amount of airport workers/cops spawn in this area too, so you do get alot of kills this way too.

And, I've tried using the method in other areas (mostly around the airport) but this spot seems to work the best.

I've used it just north of sunshine autos and its is safer there but just not as fast.

I also tried it hovering over the storage buildings a block south of sunshine autos and it worked pretty good there (an added bonus when I used it there that time was that the vigilante criminal spawn was close by and they were driving in my line of fire).

Any questions, please ask.

I've done that too and it works pretty good until you get 6 stars-- then its a pain to clear them (a long way from ones you can get from the air)-- but it is pretty good for short killing sprees-- just not multi-thousand ones--

I try to kill at least 5000 per sitting (about 2 hours playing--15-30 setting up, 90 minutes of killing).

ANother fast but boring way to kill is to go to the Malibu with a rocket launcer-- go in, fire into the croud a few shots (don't go over 2 stars), go upstairs and change clothes (removes your stars if 2 or less), go outside, go back in and the dancers are back--repeat till you want to shoot yourself with boredom.

Originally posted by Small_Fryz
could you post a pic of where u guys need to be thanks

Didn't you read what they wrote? You just have to read it and it tells you exactly where you need to be...:P

I plan on posting a pic--just haven't had time yet (I've been working 12 hour shifts for 6 of the last 7 days--fortunately I can come on line when I'm at work :) ) but I described where I was pretty well. Its the runway area north of the big airport sign that you use to jump on top of the terminal building... the fences keep the cops from going underneath the hunter 99.99% of the time.

Acidmans area is the area just to the east of the RC helicopter van (its a fairly open area)

A pic of my killing spot with a desirable camera angle (for fast spawning) is now attached to the first post of this thread--

Spuds

Spuds’ Killing Method II

Weapon: Rocket Launcher

Sustainable killing rate: About 4000 kills per hour.

Location: Mansion-- behind in the open yard east of where the Sea Sparrow is parked. From the center of the pool on the east side of the mansion head toward the water to your south. Stop about 5 feet from the water-- facing the water there will be a tree to your left about 10 feet away (estimate)-- the spot you stand will affect the cop spawning rate and where they spawn so it is relatively important where you stand, but you get good results in this area pretty much anywhere.

Preparation: You need 100% completion (so you have unlimited ammo), full health and armor, and the rocket launcher---all available at the mansion.

Method: Get up to 6 stars wanted level-- aim rocket launcher and hold fire button. Aim at the retaining wall to your north and blow up the cops that will spawn near the pool and at the base of the wall-- after you blow these cops up aim to your west and more cops will spawn on the walkway on the wall to your left-- blow them up and aim back to the north, the cops to the north will have respawned-- repeat. You will not have to aim up at the cops near the pool, just aim at the wall and the explosion should get them, same with the cops to the west. Keep firing as they spawn and you will eventually develop a firing rhythym.

Blow up police helicopter when it shows up (every minute or so)--do not stop firing your rockets-- try to blow up the helicopter in the air so it does not shoot you as it spins out of control.

Spawning trick: Keep turning from the north to the west and back to north to keep cops spawning. The police boats in the water will ignore you. If civilians are spawning instead of cops (they spawn in fewer numbers), run up next to the pool to your north and back to the spot--this usually changes them to cops.

Escape: No need to really escape since you can save at the mansion, but before trying to clear your stars, save your game and load up on armor/health. Easiest way is to grab the Maverick on the roof or the Sea Sparrow in the back-- fly to the bribe behind Sunshine Autos or either of the 2 "air" bribes in Little Haiti to lower your wanted level. Then land and grab a car to take to a Pay n Spray.

Advantages:
+Rate of kills
+Armor, health, and save point all nearby
+Very little prep time--can start killing right away
+Raises your media attention quite a bit (if you care about this)

Disadvantages:
-Police Helicopter keeps interrupting your killing—slows you down.
-Health/armor gets picked away if you can't shoot police helicopter down fast enough.

Attachments

• killspot.jpg
    killspot.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 156
Famine's Current Weapon Of Choice:

Weapon: Rhino (Tank)

Sustainable killing rate: About 2000 kills per hour.

Location: The main road between Viceport and Downtown. You'll find it best to drive up and down, using the Viceport/Ocean Beach bridge and the left turning just north of Little Haiti Pay'n'Spray as your lower and upper limits.

Preparation: None.

Method: Take a tank from Fort Baxter, or one you have stored (I have 7 at Sunshine Autos for this very purpose), or even get up to 6 stars wanted level and nick one (you'll want to hop into the Spray'n'Go underneath Sunshine Autos in a different car to clear the wanted level, or just head up to the Bribe in Little Haiti.

Get yourself up to 5 wanted stars in the tank - not too hard. You'll need to STAY there however, so once you've reached 5 stars do not use the cannon. Drive relatively slowly up and down the main road - FBI Ranchers will spawn and drive right into you. You can even drive over cops/crowds of Haitians at the sides of the road for that little bit extra. Because you're not actually doing anything, it'll take around one lap (one length up, one length down) to get your 6th star. When this happens, take the left turn after the Little Haiti Pay'n'Spray, and turn right behind the pink factory building for the bribe there OR turn right between two hotels down near the bridge at the south end of your run (two palm trees mark the entrance out - you can get between them cleanly with enough practice) and blast your way over the jump/bribe behind Sunshine Autos.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The police Maverick won't prove much of a problem, but if you wish to take it out, stop the tank just after the palm trees (too far and the pursuing tanks can break through) and rocket (or PSG, if you're feeling good) the MoFo out of the sky.

The tank can take damage, so you can either get up to Sunshine, ditch it and get a new one, or park it in one of your garages, let the door close and reopen for a healed tank. HOWEVER, on 6 stars you could find another tank in pursuit down to the Sunshine Autos underground, so take your Colt Python with you.

Advantages:
+Rhino less vulnerable
+Zero preparation needed - bar the tank
+No armour or ammo needed (particularly)

Disadvantages:
-Chasing tanks can be tricky.
-Chasing tanks can persist even on 5 stars.
-Supercop

I use the location by sunshine autos - the place where you get the free rocket launchers (swimming pool). The building there offers complete cover from the police helicopter and you can hide your own helicopter in the pool. You will be hiding under the building and using the rockets or whatever weapon of your choice to blow up the police vehicles from a distance. You could also run out for a second or two to lure them towards you.

I haven't gotten 100% just yet so I wouldn't know how well that would work for very long amounts of time.

I edited my method above slightly--

I changed the location a little-- if you get closer to the water (about 5 feet) and closer to the tree near the water (about 10 feet), you will get better results-- they spawn about the same rate but will spawn closer to where the rocket hits so you can kill them a little faster-- I timed the rate again today and the best I got was 732 kills over 10 minutes (equals almost 4400 per hour)

The only danger in moving the location is that you can get blown into the water easier if you have a rocket blow up close to you (happened to me once) and also you can accidently hit the tree when trying to shoot down the helicopter causing damage.

Also, I had a little problem where civilians were spawning instead of cops--they spawn just as fast but not as many spawn. To get the cops to spawn, run up to the "elevated" pool to your north and back to the spot and they will usually change to all cops again.

Spuds

ps Thanks for posting the other killing methods-- to try and get accurate rates, please do at least a timed 10 minute killing spree and see what you get. If I get time I wanna try something with the tank and see how it works out--I'm hoping I can get that rate up slightly Famine--

Have you tried doing the "tank method" in the vice point area, there are 4 bribes pretty close together (north of the Malibu, by the vice point chopper checkpoint start, by the mall, on south side of prawn island)-- this would allow you to be a little more aggressive. Of course you can't heal the tank on the first island since none of the garages are big enough.

Originally posted by Spuds725

ps Thanks for posting the other killing methods-- to try and get accurate rates, please do at least a timed 10 minute killing spree and see what you get.

Killing method? I don't need no steenkin' killing method. Seriously, I don't have the patience for it. I get bored and frustrated if I'm not moving. That's why I like run around Sunshine Autos popping my own gang members heads until I get 3 stars, then kill some cops until I get 4 or 5 stars, clear my stars in the Spray'n'Go. Lather, rinse, repeat. But I can't keep this up for too long. Eventually I just hop into my Comet and cruise down to Little Haiti, slaughter Haitians indiscriminately by doing drive-bys, until I get 4 stars and then clear them. I don't like having 5 stars when I'm driving around. I feel like a pinball bouncing between FBI Ranchers.

But I did try your new killing method Spuds. I did about 15 minutes of it and got about 900 kills. And I got a 5474 media rating score. That's not bad. I may try it for 20-30 minutes the odd time to improve my killing stats (I'm only on about 42000 kills).

KM.

Originally posted by KieranMurphy
Killing method? I don't need no steenkin' killing method. Seriously, I don't have the patience for it. I get bored and frustrated if I'm not moving. That's why I like run around Sunshine Autos popping my own gang members heads until I get 3 stars, then kill some cops until I get 4 or 5 stars, clear my stars in the Spray'n'Go. Lather, rinse, repeat. But I can't keep this up for too long. Eventually I just hop into my Comet and cruise down to Little Haiti, slaughter Haitians indiscriminately by doing drive-bys, until I get 4 stars and then clear them. I don't like having 5 stars when I'm driving around. I feel like a pinball bouncing between FBI Ranchers.

Finally, someone agrees with me. I do about exactly everything except I murder those God damned hatians with a car. It's alot more fun that way. You should try it.

Originally posted by xAkirax2004
Finally, someone agrees with me. I do about exactly everything except I murder those God damned hatians with a car. It's alot more fun that way. You should try it.

You mean run 'em over? I do that regularly. I like to drive on the sidewalk along the main stretch alongside Little Haiti and Little Havana. It's great for running over groups of gang members. And it's also great for killing cops and getting your stars up quickly.

KM.

Hell yes!

In fact just today, I stocked up on flamethrower ammo, then attract a whole bunch of Hatians, and torch em all.

Sure beats any of those crappy killing methods on the first page. :P

I do agree with Akira that just randomly going around casuing havoc is a hell of a lot of fun. However, to get an insane amount of kills, you need a good organized, boring, and precise method of killing.

The best one seems like Famines method, since 100% isint a requirement. Get a massive amount kills while flattening Hatians...I like it. :D

Originally posted by xAkirax2004

Sure beats any of those crappy killing methods on the first page. :P

You must want to be added to my stats :mad:

I've tried many ways of killing and the fact remains, that using any killing method, the method will get boring after about 25,000 kills--including the substandard/SLOOOOW methods described on the second page :lol:

Hmmm, am i right in saying that you have to stand at the very corner of the big piece of grass at the back of the mansion. (If you were facing the back of the mansion it is to your left), at the very far corner near the tree, and the cops come over the wall and by the steps in the background?

Back