Kunos Simulazioni to be Acquired by Digital Bros

They did announce that private lobbies is in the works last November but no release date yet: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-blog-porsche-private-lobbies-and-more.39021/

I'm rather pessimistic with the whole acquisition, mainly due to 505 Games/Digital Bros. I've seen Payday 2 which got partnership with 505 Games during April 2015 then ridiculous microstransaction squeeze into the game on October 2015. Microtransaction was removed last year when they bought their rights back from 505 Games, no exact evidence points to 505 Games demand those features but it sure looks suspicious.

And now the rights of the whole game is under their control, similar crap like that could happen to AC now. If one day Digital Bros went nuts they could demand AC to turn into an arcade racer but I hope not and this deal will just help AC become a bigger and better game.

Private Lobbies are announced this week, its been hinted on Twitter. And with Porsche Pack 3 the PC got Custom Championship, so its likely we get it very soon as well.

Judging by the response to this AC is a very popular game. Don't screw this up Digital Bros. We have a sim that people seem to like. Don't mess with the success. Unfortunately when this type of thing happens it's all about the money. I can see the original team losing their power and things will change for the gain of profits.

I know what T10 is, but Kunos now owned and funded by a Digital Bros. Considering that 505's paved the road for Kunos to consoles and converted AC to biggest revenue in it's history, they were more than just publisher.
And that still doesn't make Turn 10 a good analogy for what has happened to Kunos.

Turn 10 were never an independent company, they have never been bought by anyone and arguably have never actually needed to turn a profit.

Just about the only thing the two have in common is that they both make title in the same genre.

Well, all we have to go by for now is this from Marco: "by a gamer/simracer point of view - nothing is going to change", so unless he is willfully lying or doesn't realise that he's in bed with satan himself, I think I'll stick with that and proceed with mild optimism rather than ...

a_skull.jpg

Well, all we have to go by for now is this from Marco: "by a gamer/simracer point of view - nothing is going to change", so unless he is willfully lying or doesn't realise that he's in bed with satan himself, I think I'll stick with that and proceed with mild optimism rather than ...

a_skull.jpg
Nothing wrong with hoping for the best. The problem is how many small teams get bought by bigger organisations and go on to thrive rather than ultimately get shut down?

They did announce that private lobbies is in the works last November but no release date yet: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-blog-porsche-private-lobbies-and-more.39021/

I'm rather pessimistic with the whole acquisition, mainly due to 505 Games/Digital Bros. I've seen Payday 2 which got partnership with 505 Games during April 2015 then ridiculous microstransaction squeeze into the game on October 2015. Microtransaction was removed last year when they bought their rights back from 505 Games, no exact evidence points to 505 Games demand those features but it sure looks suspicious.

And now the rights of the whole game is under their control, similar crap like that could happen to AC now. If one day Digital Bros went nuts they could demand AC to turn into an arcade racer but I hope not and this deal will just help AC become a bigger and better game.
People keep saying DB will turn it into an Arcade game but are yet to explain why they would do that (Mass Market isn't a good enough answer ) when what makes Kunos USP is Its physics along with its FFB and laser scanned tracks. Kunos are a simulation software company and I'm sure DB known that. Where we may be hit though is micro transactions, hopefully DB just wanted in and Kunos to just keep going about their ways.

Good for you. So will the rest of us that like AC. This isn't about that. It's about what is going to happen going forward.
The likelihood is that we wont see any evidence of how this plays out for at least 15 -24 months (AC2 ) . Marco M said if it wasn't a listed company we wouldn't have noticed anything. I think worrying for the worst for now is just wasted energy.
In an alternate universe, Kunos is acquired by Electronic Arts. GTP AC forum goes into meltdown.
And GTS was released 5 years ago on the PS7.

Last edited:
People keep saying DB will turn it into an Arcade game but are yet to explain why they would do that (Mass Market isn't a good enough answer ) when when what makes Kunos USP is Its physics along with its FFB and laser scanned tracks. Kunos are a simulation software company and I'm sure DB known that. Where we may be hit though is micro transactions, hopefully DB just wanted in and Kunos to just keep going about their ways.

The likelihood is that we wont see any evidence of how this plays out for at least 15 -24 months (AC2 ) . Marco M said if it wasn't a listed company we wouldn't have noticed anything. I think worrying for the worst for now is just wasted energy.
And GTS was released 5 years ago on the PS7.
This. The foundation that makes AC what it is and why it is so revered among pc sim racers, are the physics, laser scanned tracks and FFB and that's how we'll be able to tell what direction the franchise is going in. Why anyone would mess with their FFB I don't know, but if you start seeing things change in a negative way there, or they start adding multiple real world tracks that aren't laser scanned, or dumb down the physics, then you'll know it's not the same game anymore. As long as the core of the game stays intact, I don't really care what they do with the rest of it. Better graphics, day/night/weather, better lighting engine, more cars, different types of cars etc., can all be achieved without touching the core game.

This. The foundation that makes AC what it is and why it is so revered among pc sim racers, are the physics, laser scanned tracks and FFB and that's how we'll be able to tell what direction the franchise is going in. Why anyone would mess with their FFB I don't know, but if you start seeing things change in a negative way there, or they start adding multiple real world tracks that aren't laser scanned, or dumb down the physics, then you'll know it's not the same game anymore. As long as the core of the game stays intact, I don't really care what they do with the rest of it. Better graphics, day/night/weather, better lighting engine, more cars, different types of cars etc., can all be achieved without touching the core game.
And add a couple racing Trucks to that too lol, i would love some in AC.

People keep saying DB will turn it into an Arcade game but are yet to explain why they would do that (Mass Market isn't a good enough answer )

Have people actually kept saying that Digital Bros will turn AC into an arcade game? The worry about AC steering into the mass market, assuming it could happen, is in my opinion not necessarily a question of genre. Kunos is no longer its own boss, meaning that Digital Bros now has the power to influence the game. AC's development has largely been characterized by how sim racers think - a no nonsense approach (on PC at least). Digital Bros might gradually inject some nonsense into AC. I bet no one here wants the Kunos "DNA" to get unecessarily distracted by higher ups who might not get it.

Have people actually kept saying that Digital Bros will turn AC into an arcade game? The worry about AC steering into the mass market, assuming it could happen, is in my opinion not necessarily a question of genre. Kunos is no longer its own boss, meaning that Digital Bros now has the power to influence the game. AC's development has largely been characterized by how sim racers think - a no nonsense approach (on PC at least). Digital Bros might gradually inject some nonsense into AC. I bet no one here wants the Kunos "DNA" to get unecessarily distracted by higher ups who might not get it.
To your first question, yes. I've seen it repeated many times. I agree with the rest of your post in regards to what could happen, but it's also possible they just let Kunos do what Kunos do so long as they're making profit.

Have people actually kept saying that Digital Bros will turn AC into an arcade game? The worry about AC steering into the mass market, assuming it could happen, is in my opinion not necessarily a question of genre. Kunos is no longer its own boss, meaning that Digital Bros now has the power to instruct them on the game. AC's development has largely been characterized by how sim racers think - a no nonsense approach (on PC at least). Digital Bros will tell Kunos what they are going to do with AC. I bet no one here wants the Kunos "DNA" to get unecessarily distracted by higher ups who might not get it.
Fixed for you. When you work for someone else they tell you what to do. You do it or you hit the road.

Nothing wrong with hoping for the best. The problem is how many small teams get bought by bigger organisations and go on to thrive rather than ultimately get shut down?

Creative Assembly might be an example, they seem to thrive with their Total War franchise after being buy out from Sega but I don't think they are considered small when they got buy out.

I don't see any need/reason for AC2 to exist! They can still keep the same game and keep improving on it; adding cars, tracks, game modes, remove bugs, introduce new features... which AC2 would be anyways!
Graphics are good enough! it's not like an adventure game where a 2nd episode is needed to continue the story or anything like that! It's a racing simulator so I can't see what a 2nd episode will bring in terms of essence!

I don't see any need/reason for AC2 to exist! They can still keep the same game and keep improving on it; adding cars, tracks, game modes, remove bugs, introduce new features... which AC2 would be anyways!
Graphics are good enough! it's not like an adventure game where a 2nd episode is needed to continue the story or anything like that! It's a racing simulator so I can't see what a 2nd episode will bring in terms of essence!

There are a number of reasons AC2 needs to exist, and IMO sooner than later. The engine the game runs on has limitations which is why we don't have things like night racing, and a lot of the features they've added in the last couple years have had to be shoehorned into the engine because it wasn't necessarily designed to accommodate such things. Now, having a few years of experience of seeing what they did right, what they did wrong, and what the fans want/expect, they should be much better positioned to include these things from the off instead of having to retroactively add them in.

They've also stated there isn't much drive to add some of these things to the existing game because they've already sold the bulk of copies they're going to sell, so essentially they'd put all the work in but not get paid for it. Adding timed races and reverse grids isn't going to see an influx of new copies purchased, so it's better to save that stuff for AC2 from a financial point of view because they'd sell a whole lot of new copies then.

They also said the console version wouldn't be watered down from the PC version.
I'm OK with saying AC is watered down on consoles, as long as the agreed definition of "watered down" is lacking content and features. The important bits are intact, including the car/track content for the most part. Still waiting on a few Porsche...

As for DB's intent for AC, I will say one thing. Koji freakin' Igarashi has signed on with DB to do what will undoubtedly be an EPIC masterpiece - Bloodstained. That he could come to an agreement with them on that tells me that if Kunos is savvy at all, their game is in the right hands.

There are a number of reasons AC2 needs to exist, and IMO sooner than later. The engine the game runs on has limitations which is why we don't have things like night racing, and a lot of the features they've added in the last couple years have had to be shoehorned into the engine because it wasn't necessarily designed to accommodate such things. Now, having a few years of experience of seeing what they did right, what they did wrong, and what the fans want/expect, they should be much better positioned to include these things from the off instead of having to retroactively add them in.

They've also stated there isn't much drive to add some of these things to the existing game because they've already sold the bulk of copies they're going to sell, so essentially they'd put all the work in but not get paid for it. Adding timed races and reverse grids isn't going to see an influx of new copies purchased, so it's better to save that stuff for AC2 from a financial point of view because they'd sell a whole lot of new copies then.
Agree on all points. As they move to add more features and functionality to the game, they will get to the point (or are already there) where starting from scratch will be much more efficient and allow more possibilities than patching/modding/adding to the existing game.

And to your last point on sales, this is exactly right. Even the most heavy-handed micro transaction strategy won't compare financially to releasing a new title when you're talking about a "premium" game over the long term. Someone posted a presentation from DB in this thread with charts showing this exactly. DLC is nice bonus income, but premium game sales drop off a cliff after a short while and then it's time to move on to the next title. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I would rather pay $40-$60 for a new game with major fundamental improvements and heaps of new content than get nickle and dimed car by car, track by track with an aging game. That leads to my only real concern with DB - how will they approach micro transactions? It looks to me like they won't be afraid to get nasty with it.

Agree on all points. As they move to add more features and functionality to the game, they will get to the point (or are already there) where starting from scratch will be much more efficient and allow more possibilities than patching/modding/adding to the existing game.

And to your last point on sales, this is exactly right. Even the most heavy-handed micro transaction strategy won't compare financially to releasing a new title when you're talking about a "premium" game over the long term. Someone posted a presentation from DB in this thread with charts showing this exactly. DLC is nice bonus income, but premium game sales drop off a cliff after a short while and then it's time to move on to the next title. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I would rather pay $40-$60 for a new game with major fundamental improvements and heaps of new content than get nickle and dimed car by car, track by track with an aging game. That leads to my only real concern with DB - how will they approach micro transactions? It looks to me like they won't be afraid to get nasty with it.

Also, with a new engine they can design things from the beginning so that it's easier to transfer features and functions to the consoles.

Oh don't pretend like you care about consoles :D

Mate, IMO the more people in sim racing, the better, I don't care at all what platform they're racing on. What better way to get sim racing more exposure and more popular than having it on platforms that 10's of millions of people around the world have sitting in their living room? I spent nearly 15 years racing on consoles and even had a triple monitor setup for GT5 and GT6, so I am entirely unqualified to ever look down on console racers. :P

Of course we care about consoles! :) Not only did the move to console give us better performance on PC (multi-threading) and presumably more income for Kunos to keep bettering the game, but also compare the forums here before and after console announcement. A lot more people, diversity, people giving opinions and tips ... in short a much more fun and lively place to be.

It also gives them a chance to work on the criticism they received on console launch and pu the right. Except rewinds, no rewinds, ok Pushsquare?
I'm OK with saying AC is watered down on consoles, as long as the agreed definition of "watered down" is lacking content and features. The important bits are intact, including the car/track content for the most part. Still waiting on a few Porsche...

As for DB's intent for AC, I will say one thing. Koji freakin' Igarashi has signed on with DB to do what will undoubtedly be an EPIC masterpiece - Bloodstained. That he could come to an agreement with them on that tells me that if Kunos is savvy at all, their game is in the right hands.

Regarding Micro transactions, so long as they are priced the same as the rest of the market it Shouldnt be too bad. AC DLC is currently well under priced compared to the market. I'd be happy if they released a track every 8 weeks.

Back