Kunos Simulazioni to be Acquired by Digital Bros

Mate, IMO the more people in sim racing, the better, I don't care at all what platform they're racing on. What better way to get sim racing more exposure and more popular than having it on platforms that 10's of millions of people around the world have sitting in their living room? I spent nearly 15 years racing on consoles and even had a triple monitor setup for GT5 and GT6, so I am entirely unqualified to ever look down on console racers. :P

Of course we care about consoles! :) Not only did the move to console give us better performance on PC (multi-threading) and presumably more income for Kunos to keep bettering the game, but also compare the forums here before and after console announcement. A lot more people, diversity, people giving opinions and tips ... in short a much more fun and lively place to be.
Yea I'm just jaggin. I was going to use the analogy that AC on console is like Porsche making the Cayenne, but that would only be accurate if the console version had watered down physics, was terrible and sold 10 million copies.

but also compare the forums here before and after console announcement. A lot more people, diversity, people giving opinions and tips ... in short a much more fun and lively place to be.

Truth, before the console release started getting near this sub-forum would have maybe a handful of posts a day, and some days with no posts at all. Now it's thriving and busy, admittedly most of it is console banter but there's a bit more PC player activity too.

That leads to my only real concern with DB - how will they approach micro transactions? It looks to me like they won't be afraid to get nasty with it.
Not Hill Climb Racing 2-nasty I hope. That would be really nasty. My wallet is getting hammered (and I'm being thoroughly stupid!).

Has this been posted?

"Massarutto:
Assetto Corsa has gone way beyond the goals we set for ourselves in 2011, when Stefano Casillo and I have started the project with four collaborators and a total budget of 70.000 Euros. With various affiliations, more than 30 people have worked on Assetto Corsa, with a total cost of almost 3 million Euros. Nonetheless, we remain the smallest firm in the sector to have produced a sim like Assetto Corsa for both PC and console, based on official licences of the highest level, and so appreciated and kept in such high consideration. It is a small Italian miracle of which we couldn't be more proud. During 2016 we have carried deep evaluations regarding our future projects, and precisely because we desire to confirm our DNA with realistic simulations, we have chosen a direction that could guarantee the maximum stability possible. We work with Digital Bros/505Games since 2014, and since then the publisher has kept all its promises, giving us the opportunity to take a high-level simulation on console, even in the knowledge that it would not be a racing game "for everybody." Digital Bros has placed its bet on us, and with this acquisition, has raised its stakes, showing once more that it believes in the business model ideated by KUNOS: this will bring stability and indispensable resources, in an extremely competitive sector as our one is, to keep doing what we have shown we know how to do: driving simulations that please the simracers and that also are capable of involving the new generations, with the objective of making Assetto Corsa an even more important brand. Stefano Casillo and I have ceded KUNOS ownership, but we keep our respective roles, as it is also for the whole development team, with the advantage that we can now be more focused on the products we developed, instead of the management of the firm and the collection of resources necessary for complex projects such as Assetto Corsa and those that will follow. With the objective and the promise to keep astonishing and pleasing the "AC" fans."

16266021_10208131563920805_3949228022863796895_n.jpg

I don't know what else needs to be said. If after Marco's words people still prefer to think Assetto Corsa is doomed, it's their choice.
Name a single small dev that goes into a take over deal and doesn't think it's a good idea. Then look at what usually happens to them.

Yes we would be scared ........ if they would have AC.

PCars had a great Track Lineup, but almost all werent laserscanned, the Cars looked like plastic, Replays sucked.

The big starting Grids, Career Mode and the fairly priced DLC were great Things in the Game tho.

Man, the unjustified flak that pcars get in this forum section is insane... 0_o

Cars look way worse on ac, especially the dtm alfa and most non gt3 non ferrari cars...

Replays sucked?! You are talking about a game that record max 2 minutes of replay...

As much as I like ac and have great hopes for it, it has crazy shortcomings and inconsistency in it, letting alone no private lobbies.

If sms had to merge up with ac how could one expect less than stellar results?

Pcars is madly more optimized, had weather and cosmetics done right, loads of tracks that would be added to the laser scanned ac, to be added to the great physics and ffb.

Not that it is ever going to happen but I'm surprised no big player in the vg market did attempt to take then just for the physics.

Has this been posted?

"Massarutto:
Assetto Corsa has gone way beyond the goals we set for ourselves in 2011, when Stefano Casillo and I have started the project with four collaborators and a total budget of 70.000 Euros. With various affiliations, more than 30 people have worked on Assetto Corsa, with a total cost of almost 3 million Euros. Nonetheless, we remain the smallest firm in the sector to have produced a sim like Assetto Corsa for both PC and console, based on official licences of the highest level, and so appreciated and kept in such high consideration. It is a small Italian miracle of which we couldn't be more proud. During 2016 we have carried deep evaluations regarding our future projects, and precisely because we desire to confirm our DNA with realistic simulations, we have chosen a direction that could guarantee the maximum stability possible. We work with Digital Bros/505Games since 2014, and since then the publisher has kept all its promises, giving us the opportunity to take a high-level simulation on console, even in the knowledge that it would not be a racing game "for everybody." Digital Bros has placed its bet on us, and with this acquisition, has raised its stakes, showing once more that it believes in the business model ideated by KUNOS: this will bring stability and indispensable resources, in an extremely competitive sector as our one is, to keep doing what we have shown we know how to do: driving simulations that please the simracers and that also are capable of involving the new generations, with the objective of making Assetto Corsa an even more important brand. Stefano Casillo and I have ceded KUNOS ownership, but we keep our respective roles, as it is also for the whole development team, with the advantage that we can now be more focused on the products we developed, instead of the management of the firm and the collection of resources necessary for complex projects such as Assetto Corsa and those that will follow. With the objective and the promise to keep astonishing and pleasing the "AC" fans."
Nice to hear a bit of the inside story.

Brings me back to a point I made when I saw some of the inside numbers from PCars development, and that is, the cost of licensing cars and tracks is actually quite small on a unit basis. Even if licensing ate up 40% of Kunos' budget, that's only roughly $10K per car/track. Maybe there's some back end built in based on number of games sold, but the upfront cost can't be very high at all.

I wonder which budget they'll have for 2 :P

I can assure you, on PS4 it is quite justified.
I have been playing it for months daily and hosted a good number of series on it. On ps4.

So I'm not sure what you mean. In a time shorter than the one from ac release to now most of the issues were fixed. It still have a few problems but man, overall ac has a long way to go to reach it.
Yeah,it such a terrible game. LOL.
Guess talking normally about other games in this forum section is frowned upon :D

I have been playing it for months daily and hosted a good number of series on it. On ps4.

So I'm not sure what you mean. In a time shorter than the one from ac release to now most of the issues were fixed. It still have a few problems but man, overall ac has a long way to go to reach it.

Guess talking normally about other games in this forum section is frowned upon :D
Or more like people in this forum see land mines and invisible walls as genuine game breaking bugs?

Or more like people in this forum see land mines and invisible walls as genuine game breaking bugs?
Invisible walls were fixed after 2 weeks or first update. Landmines are a rare occurrence but may still happen once every 30 or so hours.

Certainly not something to not sleep about.

Landmines
?! What do you mean by that?!
I've been playing the game for 2 weeks now on PS4 and only bugs are faced were minor relatively but annoying a bit:
1- Drift event couldn't load until restarting the game.
2- Even if it loads, sometimes it had some small DPI and some graphical glitches. Restart solved it.
3- One time it crashed and through me to the main menu.

That's it till now. Hopefully nothing worse.

Landmines is when the physics explode, and your car goes with it and starts to fly around. You can find video's on Youtube.
It has been a bug from the NFS Shift days, and carried over to PCARS.

Landmines are a rare occurrence but may still happen once every 30 or so hours.
I wouldn't like it if that 30 hour mark would happen in the midst of a league race :D

Landmines is when the physics explode, and your car goes with it and starts to fly around. You can find video's on Youtube.

I wouldn't like it if that 30 hour mark would happen in the midst of a league race :D
Happened to me, not pleasing i assure you, but at last i could race in Leagues lol

If lobbies won't come fast i may start getting back to pcars... i miss oulton and zolder on ac...

Oh you're talking about PCars; I was referring to AC. It has some few bugs but nothing so bad!

I never really encountered landmines in my few months with the game. What made me abandon the game was the AI cutting through the grass to overtake me and pulling off impossible late braking maneuvers, and too many times the car reacted in a way that made me say "WTF was that? That's not normal...". Plus, I dropped out of university before getting my rocket science degree so I could never wrap my head around the FFB settings. :lol: I don't have anything against the game and it's probably done its share to bring more people into this hobby which I think is great, but there are so many better options on PC that I decided it wasn't worth my time. If I was still a console racer I would have played the hell out of it and probably enjoyed it quite a lot since there weren't really any better options on the consoles.

I never really encountered landmines in my few months with the game. What made me abandon the game was the AI cutting through the grass to overtake me and pulling off impossible late braking maneuvers, and too many times the car reacted in a way that made me say "WTF was that? That's not normal...". Plus, I dropped out of university before getting my rocket science degree so I could never wrap my head around the FFB settings. :lol: I don't have anything against the game and it's probably done its share to bring more people into this hobby which I think is great, but there are so many better options on PC that I decided it wasn't worth my time. If I was still a console racer I would have played the hell out of it and probably enjoyed it quite a lot since there weren't really any better options on the consoles.
Yeah ffb settings are insane, but Jack spade settings on most cars give results comparable to assetto corsa. No clue how he managed to get the settings right lol

If sms had a update with those settings in I'm positive the game would have had way better life.

They got bashed for lots of things many really unfair imho while ac got an unlimited green card on so many issues and shortcomings.

Oh you're talking about PCars; I was referring to AC. It has some few bugs but nothing so bad!
Yeah and like Brandon says, apart from the weird handling on some cars the AI doesn't use the same physics as the player in PCARS, and you tend to notice that as their grip levels are totally different.

They got bashed for lots of things many really unfair imho while ac got an unlimited green card on so many issues and shortcomings.

I've probably criticized AC far more than I ever criticized PCars, but then I was only involved with Pcars for about three months and after that it pretty much just left my consciousness. I could sit around and criticize AC as good or better than console players do, I just don't think it accomplishes much and I have accepted AC is what it is and likely isn't going to see any major leaps forward with this version (on PC) so I just enjoy it for what it is and get on with it. The other PC sims all have their issues too, none of them are really close to being the perfect sim.

It all comes down to the manpower and the available budget! KS is probably less than 1/10 of SMS potential in that regard; so I can excuse KS much more for having bugs/issues than I can excuse SMS for the same!

It all comes down to the manpower and the available budget! KS is probably less than 1/10 of SMS potential in that regard; so I can excuse KS much more for having bugs/issues than I can excuse SMS for the same!
You would be right if both kunos and sms did actually start its game from the beginning...

Ac is a game since ages, the console ones are ports.

You would be right if both kunos and sms did actually start its game from the beginning...

Ac is a game since ages, the console ones are ports.

Except SMS designed the game from the beginning to run on both PCs and consoles. Kunos did not, it started life as a PC only game and they're trying to retrofit it onto consoles which probably isn't as easy as if it was designed with consoles in mind from the beginning. Not that this excuses any of the console shortcomings, just pointing out it's not apples to apples.

Except SMS designed the game from the beginning to run on both PCs and consoles. Kunos did not, it started life as a PC only game and they're trying to retrofit it onto consoles which probably isn't as easy as if it was designed with consoles in mind from the beginning. Not that this excuses any of the console shortcomings, just pointing out it's not apples to apples.
You misunderstood me a bit... I mean also that ac has been released since ages so the code base was already there and available as physics and ffb. Sms started from zero.

Back