KY is totally iresponsible!

  • Thread starter Thread starter magburner
  • 116 comments
  • 8,426 views
All his ring lap proves is that even in very slippery conditions the GT-R is a great car.
 
if i am right, isnt it "reccomended" that on the unrestricted stretches you drive 130KPH (not sure how many MPH, i am in the US..), and if you crash going faster than that you are liable for death/money? I thought that is the only restriction/rule type thing.

Is is exactly like that (I live in Germany). And I have to agree with the OP. Legal or not, it was too dangerous.
 
The law states this: if you're involved in an accident doing 20 km/h over the recommended speed (of 130 km/h), you'll account with 25% of the overall damage, unless it can be proven that the accident would have happened in the same way at the recommended speed.

On another note, I think that some people need to losen up a little regarding magburners comment on doing high speeds on the Autobahn. While I'm not with his opinion, he still did explain himself, and did so in a proper manner. It'd be nice to see if all who don't agree come the same tone.

Cheers
the Interceptor
 
The world isn't running out of people with the balls to do this kind of stuff, but it is almost out of folks who can handle that it happens. What is all this desparate need to control the behavior of others? I used to be a crime when you did something like this and something bad happened, but now it's a crime (in public perception) to even think about doing it at all.

Last year a guy on a motorcycle was nabbed at 170+ on the highway north of where I live, clear calm day, no other traffic, straight and flat road. You would have thought the guy was a mass murderer from the tone and comments on the news, but his action was less dangerous to the public at large than the legions of Minivan Mommies yakking on cell phones.

It's all perception, and, at least here in the US, if you are percieved to be doing something in any way aggressive you are automatically guilty. Passive agression and stupidity, while just as dangerous, are perfectly OK.

I firmly believe that if cars and driving were invented today, you would need the equivalent of a pilot's license just to drive. Let's just put fear first, each and every time, until the only behavior that's acceptable is sitting home on the couch enjoying a Virtual Life. Pathetic.
 
Come on, not even the professional driver in Part II reached 300...how do you expect KY to reach 300, plus it was even more slippery when KY was driving on the 'Ring.

Also, there is a big difference between the straight on the 'Ring and on the Autobahns, the Autobhans are smooth, wide, straight highways designed for high speed travel whereas the straight at the 'Ring is like the rest of the track, narrow and bumpy. It's just not possible to do 300km/h in a stock GT-R at the Nurburgring unless you were a professional driver and in the right conditions.

I don't think it was irresponsible of him to drive at 300+km/h on the Austobahn, it was perfectly legal, he was in the left lane and he is an experienced driver.
 
I'm 35, Why? Is it acceptable if your older (or younger)?

it's acceptable if it is on a road with no speed limit.
 
@ superwally- Bro, you're speaking my language & I like your style, right-on. I hold mini van soccer moms on cell phones and SUV's full of people watching DVD's and stuffing their faces @ 70 mph far more dangerous than a man of Mr. Y's experience behind the wheel of an exotic supercar. I take the premise of this 'thread' personally and find it offensive.
 
I have mixed feelings about this issue.
Concerned about the impact this has one young drivers trying to emulate KY in situations that are not as favourible as KY was driving.
A closed track top speed run would have been more in keeping with the GT image.
 
OK First up I lived in germany for a few years and travled on the autobhan nearly everyday, I usualy drove at around 180kph to stay with the higher speed traffic, top speed I ever did was 240kph when the road was clear. If your in a car that can safly drive at that speed then your not endangering anyone, if you can see trafic then you don't do those speeds, if you watch the video you can see theres a good view of at least a mile in front and no vehicles are in a position to overtake and come into the fast lane. As for the impresionable children going out and trying the same thing in there cars? If they are so stupid to be convinced they can do it by a video on a game and they are stupid enough to drive in a manner that could kill themselves and others then they shouldn't have a license. I hate this nanny state mentality in todays society. The video did not break the law, and it didn't even glamourise what he did like say a hollywood action movie, cue smoke, wheel spin and heavy rock music! Great video great subject for car enthusiasts, if little johnys going to wrap his car round a tree because of it lets hope he never saw tokyo drift or gone in 60 seconds, let alone typed in fast car on youtube!
 
Meh. They did this on either the A60 or A48 near Bitburg. It's pretty "normal" there to see ppl driving pretty fast. Also the people who live there are used to it and they know how to react on fast driving cars (ok..most of them do lol).

I think without knowing the situation (busy traffic yes/no etc.) it's hard to judge anyway but I'd say he did OK.

As for his driving on the "wet" Nordschleife. Driving on a wet Nordschleife is a bit different compared to driving on any other wet track. This is because of the different tarmac structure , on some places the tarmac is more then 40 years old with the obvious bumps in it you can figure it doesn't give much confidence. Also because of the elevation changes there are a lot of places where much water runs across the road so it's easy to aquaplane. Each lap on a wet Nordschleife is different, no lap is the same. A person who finds it easy to learn the lines on a dry Nordschleife might find it very difficult to learn the wet lines, because there is not a real wet line. With that in mind I think KY didn't do that bad..after all he kept the car in one piece. He showed some awfull lines at Flugplatz and Schwedenkreuz but with only 10 laps experience you can't really complain. I also think many people underestimate the difference between the Nordschleife in real life and the one in GT4.
 
you're not serious!! there's no speed limit on autobahn for that very reason that anyone can drive on it unrestricted. this is another stupid remark by someone whose life is probably restricted by such strict boundaries: i bet you would never spend a dime without your wife's permission. my advice to you: get a life.
 
believe it or now that's just about every day business in Germany. I know people daily drive over 250 on unrestricted roads. Everyone knows about that. And that is allowed to prevent people racing on regular roads.
 
Hmmm... I've no problem with him driving at 300km/h, bragging about it on a driving video game is what I took exception to.

But in his defense, at least he did it somewhere legal. As opposed to things like Gumball Rally, which children of all ages watch on sites like YouTube.

As offenses go, KY's is pretty lightweight by comparison... :scared:
 
👍
The world isn't running out of people with the balls to do this kind of stuff, but it is almost out of folks who can handle that it happens. What is all this desparate need to control the behavior of others? I used to be a crime when you did something like this and something bad happened, but now it's a crime (in public perception) to even think about doing it at all.

Last year a guy on a motorcycle was nabbed at 170+ on the highway north of where I live, clear calm day, no other traffic, straight and flat road. You would have thought the guy was a mass murderer from the tone and comments on the news, but his action was less dangerous to the public at large than the legions of Minivan Mommies yakking on cell phones.

It's all perception, and, at least here in the US, if you are percieved to be doing something in any way aggressive you are automatically guilty. Passive agression and stupidity, while just as dangerous, are perfectly OK.

I firmly believe that if cars and driving were invented today, you would need the equivalent of a pilot's license just to drive. Let's just put fear first, each and every time, until the only behavior that's acceptable is sitting home on the couch enjoying a Virtual Life. Pathetic.
excellent stuff:tup:👍👍 Besides isnt it part of natural selection (or Darwins Theory ) when people who wrap themselves around poles because they try to do stuff they're not smart enough to percieve as dangerous. I mean when I was younger I got up to plenty of mischeive (still do and i'm 35 now) but I knew not to push the limits too far and learn in a safe enviroment first (empty car parks/industrial areas/grass paddocks) before proclaming I was King Dingaling!
 
G.T
You should have a go at the German government for allowing speeds like that to be legal on the Autobahans, not blaming KY for something that many people probably do along there every day.

OK, so because lots of people do that every day, we shouldn't complain about it.
Hmmm interesting, there's certain presidents of certain countries sending soldiers on crusades for decades now, hmmm, that looks normal nowadays, why don't we do that do like we did in the dark ages.

Come on, the fact that lots of people do something does NOT make it right or even normal behaviour.

Next to laws there's something called common sense or responsible behaviour, now I wonder how someone calling this not irresponsible would react if their family would get killed because they started overtaking a truck seeing nothing in their mirror while a few seconds later someone crashed into them, because he could not brake on time simply because he was traveling at over 300 km/h, started braking the moment he sees the danger.

I know it's harsh, but remember, things like that happen, too often that is, that's why even in Germany more and more autobahns get speed limits.

PY's behaviour might have been completely legal, it was irresponsible, and a man like him should know better than that.
 
What a bunch of whiners!

I loved that bit of the video - the man rocks, and that GTR is a beast.

Keep it up Kaz.
 
Next thing people will be complaining that it's irresponsible of Nissan to make a car that does 300km/h.

Anyone remember Jason Plato in the Brabus Rocket on Fifth gear.. he was trying to get upto top speed 200mph+ on the autobahn, but once or twice had to get hard on the brakes because people were changing lanes infront of him.. then the car broke down..?
 
OK, so because lots of people do that every day, we shouldn't complain about it.
Hmmm interesting, there's certain presidents of certain countries sending soldiers on crusades for decades now, hmmm, that looks normal nowadays, why don't we do that do like we did in the dark ages.

Come on, the fact that lots of people do something does NOT make it right or even normal behaviour.

Next to laws there's something called common sense or responsible behaviour, now I wonder how someone calling this not irresponsible would react if their family would get killed because they started overtaking a truck seeing nothing in their mirror while a few seconds later someone crashed into them, because he could not brake on time simply because he was traveling at over 300 km/h, started braking the moment he sees the danger.

I know it's harsh, but remember, things like that happen, too often that is, that's why even in Germany more and more autobahns get speed limits.

PY's behaviour might have been completely legal, it was irresponsible, and a man like him should know better than that.

How exactly was it irresponsible?

It's expected that cars do higher speeds on unrestricted autobahn, so the general motoring public are aware of and prepared for it.

The car is designed to do it.

The driver is one used to the speeds.


All I'm hearing is what if, what if, what if. People tend not to pull out blithely on unrestricted autobahn, because they're expecting cars to be travelling at 155mph+. But even if they did, why is 186mph any worse than 100mph? What, do people not pull out in front of 100mph cars, but wait until cars are going much faster? How about 70mph? What about 30mph? At what speed do you draw the line and say "That's too fast, what if a family pulls out to overtake a lorry..."? Why that speed and not 1mph faster or slower? Why is your opinion more appropriate than the posted legal limit and the opinion of the safe maximum from a professional driver?

This is a ridiculous line of enquiry. Speed does not kill. Inappropriate speed can - now tell me what's inappropriate about travelling north of a ton on roads designed for it with a motoring public used to it and legislation permitting it in a car built for it with a driver used to it in conditions good for it.


And if you think any of that is bad, I know people who routinely drive at 140mph+ on 70mph limit roads. Legally and in safety.
 
I agree with the OP. If KY had been killed, what would have happened to the development of GT5. It's totally irresponsible of him to risk the game series like that!

:) joke :)
 
Mannn, how old are you people here?

How many things do kids see on tv everyday that is irresponsible?
So if KY is putting an exhaust pipe up his ass, people ar running outside doing the same?!:yuck:

C'mon people game on...
 
I agree with the OP. If KY had been killed, what would have happened to the development of GT5. It's totally irresponsible of him to risk the game series like that!

:) joke :)

I am totally on board now. KY IS irresponsible :)
 
I think playing GT is the next best thing to learn how to drive fast. I would have been very suprised if KY had not emphasized it. Even real racing drives practice on simulators like GT to learn tracks and figure out racing lines for new tracks.

300 Km/h is what autobahns are for. And what he had to, was to held steering wheel and bury the throttle, and even i can do it in GT:P and real life.
 
PS. Funerals are costly... And crashing at the Autobahn at 300 km/h + will certainly cause some havoc. Picture this: You are moving across the whole length of a regular soccer pitch each second... that´s like: Oh S..!*

Call me an old fart if you wan´t to, but I totally agree with the thread starter.
 
I think playing GT is the next best thing to learn how to drive fast. I would have been very suprised if KY had not emphasized it. Even real racing drives practice on simulators like GT to learn tracks and figure out racing lines for new tracks.

KY did not say that he used GT to help learn how to drive fast, he said that he had found it useful in familiarising himself with the Nordshleife. If you're going to summarise do so correctly.

There will always be people (Road "Safety" Campaigners, Governments, The Swiss (hehe)) who think that any kind of speed is inappropriate.

The original poster thinks that it's irresponsible to show KY driving 310kph on the Autobahn.
Fine, fair enough but that video was still far more controlled (appropriate road, experienced (and probably race qualified driver, i can't remember whether he is or not) and good weather) than anything you can find on youtube by searching for "speed" or watching any "car" film like The Fast and the Furious, Days of Thunder or even Bullit.

I don't think that this argument is ever going to go away to be honest and it could go round in circles for day. For that reason, i'm only going to spectate on it from now on and would urge a moderator to close it soon.
 
I agree with the OP. If KY had been killed, what would have happened to the development of GT5. It's totally irresponsible of him to risk the game series like that!

:) joke :)

same here :)
 
Autobahn crash Where some areas got no speed limit


Tunnel crush, WHERE there are speed limits.


Thats what we mean, if there were limits then Kaz should of slow down
 
I am totally on board now. KY IS irresponsible :)

Don't worry KY has his disciples, and they will carry on his work if such a thing were to happen to him.
 
Wow...

Funny to see how many of you think his speed was improper.

The section he did this on was the A60 Between Orsfeld and the Prum exit(near Bitburg). Why do I know this?? Because I have driven it a gazillion times. It is very common to see cars going 300+ on this road. You guys think it is a bit dangerous becuase you can only picture it on UK and US road with said drivers... I would hate to see the looks on your faces driving back from the ring with us... we do take this road and I doubt we do less then 250 sometimes over 300. Boring.. :scared:
 
Back