KY is totally iresponsible!

  • Thread starter Thread starter magburner
  • 116 comments
  • 8,426 views
i totally agree with viperguy324,i mean people in germany are used to driving like that,its not weird to have someone overtake you with 250-300kmh.as i live close to the german border im on the autobahn almost everyday,its just built for speed,if you drive 120kmh(80mph)then you're the slowwest car on there.
and the coming back from the ring thing.....SO true!
 
Wow...

Funny to see how many of you think his speed was improper.

The section he did this on was the A60 Between Orsfeld and the Prum exit(near Bitburg). Why do I know this?? Because I have driven it a gazillion times. It is very common to see cars going 300+ on this road. You guys think it is a bit dangerous becuase you can only picture it on UK and US road with said drivers... I would hate to see the looks on your faces driving back from the ring with us... we do take this road and I doubt we do less then 250 sometimes over 300. Boring.. :scared:

I'm in the UK, and I'm arguing that there's absolutely no logical reason to suppose this was irresponsible or dangerous...
 
Crashes are just part of the risk of driving. You'd be more likely to crash doing 75mph down a US highway than doing 300kmh on the autobahn. Heck, I had some woman on a cell phone try merging into my lane and she ran me off the road as I was blaring the horn; she NEVER knew I was there and continued merging into the lane. This was at 45mph! And the autobahn is SUPPOSED to be a speed testing ground; iirc, companies like Porsche use it for speed runs.
 
driving at this speed or just fast makes you more aware, you concerntrate more on the road, trundle down the motorway in the UK at 70mph for a few hours you'll soon be fidleing with the radio chating with the passenger and planning your weekend to keep yourself ocupied! which is more dangerous?
 
I think he should have gone faster. I'd have liked to have seen how much the GTR is capable of.

PS. Letting a 17yr old kid drive the GTR at that speed would've been irresponsible however KY is a bit more experienced than that.
 
If it was illegal then i would agree with the thread starter otherwise I wish i could do that too, i probably won't have the cohones though.

RUF certifies their cars at night over 200mph+ on the similar roads.

Just my thoughts.
 
Irresponsible or not you can't impose your thoughts of what is morally right on others, or else we would live in a Fascist society... KY is an amazing person who Im sure took calculated risks.
 
I totally agree that KY has done absolutely nothing wrong imo.

If someone cannot differentiate fantasy from reality then they have far deeper issues to deal with and I'd suggest they shouldn't be playing a games console or listening to rock music backwards at all.

Kids grow up all too soon and become very aware of their own mortality, and the age that this happens is decreasing year upon year as they are subjected to ever increasing amounts of information.

Speaking as someone who was once a youngster as well (albeit quite some time ago) lets give them some credit. They aren't all fearless idiots !!!
 
but that video was still far more controlled (appropriate road, experienced (and probably race qualified driver, i can't remember whether he is or not) and good weather) than anything you can find on youtube by searching for "speed" or watching any "car" film like The Fast and the Furious, Days of Thunder or even Bullit.

Those movies are shot on closed roads using skilled and qualified stunt drivers with all appropriate medical assistance attending, I'm not bothered about how fast he was going on the roads, but to say it was more controlled than the movie scenes is just wrong.
 
Hmmm... I might of thought I wouldn't get a sensible answer from a rowdy bunch of petrol heads! :lol: There are obviously too many replies to answer to directly, but I have chosen a few that I liked. Thanks for posting guys. 👍

On another note, I think that some people need to losen up a little regarding magburners comment on doing high speeds on the Autobahn. While I'm not with his opinion, he still did explain himself, and did so in a proper manner. It'd be nice to see if all who don't agree come the same tone.

Finally, a friendly comment! Thanks pal! 👍

so no one should ever reach 300kph on any public road in the world?

honestly if i had been on an autobahn in a gt-r trust me i wouldve done it too, and given the chance, wouldnt you?

In my wildest dreams maybe i would, but I would never put it into practice, there are too many variables to consider, and I know for sure that if I did it, some one would pull out in front of me!

I have mixed feelings about this issue.
Concerned about the impact this has one young drivers trying to emulate KY in situations that are not as favourible as KY was driving.
A closed track top speed run would have been more in keeping with the GT image.

Spot on mate! 👍 It wasn't that long ago, that Gran Turismo had warnings to drive sensibly at the start of the games, now they are showcasing ridiculous driving.

All I'm hearing is what if, what if, what if. People tend not to pull out blithely on unrestricted autobahn, because they're expecting cars to be travelling at 155mph+. But even if they did, why is 186mph any worse than 100mph? What, do people not pull out in front of 100mph cars, but wait until cars are going much faster? How about 70mph? What about 30mph? At what speed do you draw the line and say "That's too fast, what if a family pulls out to overtake a lorry..."? Why that speed and not 1mph faster or slower? Why is your opinion more appropriate than the posted legal limit and the opinion of the safe maximum from a professional driver?


As for the 'what ifs'... The whole principle that driving lessons, the practical and written tests (in the United Kingdom at least) are based upon is the premise of 'what if?'.

PS. Funerals are costly... And crashing at the Autobahn at 300 km/h + will certainly cause some havoc. Picture this: You are moving across the whole length of a regular soccer pitch each second... that´s like: Oh S..!*

Call me an old fart if you wan´t to, but I totally agree with the thread starter.

Heh-heh, and another! ;) You and me both are old farts then mate! :lol:

It was the risks he took with other peoples lives that is particularly hard to swallow. Regardless of the speed limit, or how 'calculated' the risks were, he should of not been doing those speeds.!

And finally...

:eek: I've just finished watching the third part of the GT-R inside story, and I'm shocked and amazed by KY's brazen 300km/h run on an unrestricted public road.

What did he think he was playing at? Surely Sony should know better than to film stunts like that when this game is in the hands of impressionable youngsters.

Unrestricted or not, what KY did was scandalous, how would he ofHAVE stopped if some car had pulled out in front of him? When your travelling in excess of 300km/h, you don't get time to react to anything, it just happens.

I also noticed that he didn't have the balls to pull it off at the 'ring', where he chickened out at around 280kmp/h. KY is a joke, and he should apologise unreservedly for this dangerous stunt..

Only one mistake? Not bad for a guy who left school with a U for English! :sly:
 
As for the 'what ifs'... The whole principle that driving lessons, the practical and written tests (in the United Kingdom at least) are based upon is the premise of 'what if?'.

Now that isn't true at all.

In fact the current tests involve a "hazard perception test", which tests your ability to perceive hazards and take action upon them.

Hesistancy is - and has been for as long as I can remember - punished on practical tests. You are actively discouraged from what-iffing.


In my wildest dreams maybe i would, but I would never put it into practice, there are too many variables to consider, and I know for sure that if I did it, some one would pull out in front of me!

There are only three variables to consider.

But I cannot see any logical reason to conclude that a driver used to doing that kind of speed in a car built to do that kind of speed in conditions permitting that kind of speed on roads designed for that kind of speed with a limit that allows that kind of speed amongst other drivers used to watching for drivers who do that kind of speed is fundamentally irresponsible or dangerous.

Where do you draw the line? Why is 186mph dangerous and irresponsible? Would 155mph be just the same? How about 120mph? 100mph? 70mph? 50mph? Why is one speed dangerous but another not? Why that speed, why not 1mph faster or slower?

Germany says what KY did is just fine. KY felt that what he was doing was just fine (or else he wouldn't have been doing it). Germany built those roads for exactly this. KY is practiced in exactly this. Why is what you think more correct than what legislators and professional drivers think?


As I say, if you think driving within the posted speed limit is irresponsible and dangerous, I have friends who regularly pull 140mph on 70mph limited roads in complete safety.


Spot on mate! 👍 It wasn't that long ago, that Gran Turismo had warnings to drive sensibly at the start of the games, now they are showcasing ridiculous driving.

Nor ridiculous.

It was the risks he took with other peoples lives that is particularly hard to swallow. Regardless of the speed limit, or how 'calculated' the risks were, he should of not been doing those speeds.!

magburner
Hmmm... I've no problem with him driving at 300km/h, bragging about it on a driving video game is what I took exception to.

Oh really?


Come on, magburner. It's a big number - bigger than we're used to in the UK. Irresponsible? Dangerous? Ridiculous? Not a bit of it. Nor illegal.
 
the GT-R looks really really nice, should be winning GT class American LeMans in the US once it comes out here. also, for anyone who can speak french, what does LeMans mean, I assume it is french..
 
the GT-R looks really really nice, should be winning GT class American LeMans in the US once it comes out here. also, for anyone who can speak french, what does LeMans mean, I assume it is french..

It's the name of a small town, around which the most famous sportscar race in the entire world takes place...
 
well I knew that, but I figured LeMans meant something in french, i know about Circuit de la Sarthe.maybe PD should add the Isle of Man next time, even though that is bikes, it is still an awesome track..
 
people do high speed runs on the autobahn so what,i live in rsa where i wish we had a few roads to do at least 200km\h(124mph) legally but our roads are not designed for it(excluding the bad drivers),they spent millions on the autobahn to make it as safe as possible and high speed ready,so why not use it when you can.Discovery showed all this and how RUF test's on it (so should we moan at disc for there program aswell)
 
I seriously hope they don't...:dunce:
Yep, they do. If you watch the "Beyond the Apex" documentary it mentions it. Even the free trailer you can download off the PSN mentions it.
 
G.T
Yep, they do. If you watch the "Beyond the Apex" documentary it mentions it. Even the free trailer you can download off the PSN mentions it.

Yep, David Coulthard practices all his lines on Mario Kart
 
:eek: I've just finished watching the third part of the GT-R inside story, and I'm shocked and amazed by KY's brazen 300km/h run on an unrestricted public road.

What did he think he was playing at? Surely Sony should know better than to film stunts like that when this game is in the hands of impressionable youngsters.

Unrestricted or not, what KY did was scandalous, how would he of stopped if some car had pulled out in front of him? When your travelling in excess of 300km/h, you don't get time to react to anything, it just happens.

I also noticed that he didn't have the balls to pull it off at the 'ring', where he chickened out at around 280kmp/h. KY is a joke, and he should apologise unreservedly for this dangerous stunt.


was this in japan ? if he did that here in north america he'd be so screwed
 
autobahn, even in japan the speed limits arent that fast;they actually dont seem to especially like speed (the government) as law used to be no cars with over 275HP, which is why the Skyline GT-R "had" 275
 
It was the risks he took with other peoples lives that is particularly hard to swallow. Regardless of the speed limit, or how 'calculated' the risks were, he should of not been doing those speeds.!

how hardcore is this guy then! and hes doing it when its busy! :sly:
 
I think the OP keeps forgetting that this is the Autobahn. I've driven a few times on it. The level of responsibility that drivers show on Autobahn is very high and people expect someone passing them at 200+ Kph. Hell when I was on the downhill in the Merc C230 hitting the governor at ~240Kph, I had to move over from 2nd lane to 1st lane for some guy in a Porsche 911 that must've been doing 270-280+. You keep forgetting that this was an unrestricted section of Autobahn and people actually know how to handle and expect someone doing 300k in the left lane. Like someone mentioned in this thread, there are some things on TV and Movies that are faaar more irresponsible than what KY did.
 
Im got going to read every post in this thread because I cant be bothered, but he was on an UNRESTRICTED piece of road, so he can do what he likes (speed wise)!

If he was doing it in a 70MPH zone then the would be very stupid indeed, but unrestricted means means he can do 500 MPH if he wants and its still legal! The people you should be complaining about are the ones that have the power to impose speed limits but dont!
 
Now that isn't true at all.

In fact the current tests involve a "hazard perception test", which tests your ability to perceive hazards and take action upon them.

Hesistancy is - and has been for as long as I can remember - punished on practical tests. You are actively discouraged from what-iffing.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by 'what if' (or I explained myself poorly).

For instance, check your left mirror when you turn left because 'what if' there is a bike coming up your inside, or check your blind spot as you pull off because 'what if' there is a car about to over take you.

Those are the 'what if's' I was going on about, and they ARE taught in driving lessons. I passed my driving test first time (just before crimbo) with those warnings ringing in my ears, so please don't tell me that they are not part of any driving lesson, when blatantly they are.

As for the 300km/h bit, I will have to concede defeat. KY was not breaking the law (even though I never said he was), and it is obviously acceptable. So maybe I should just shut up and go draw my pension or something like that! :sly:
 
KY was not breaking the law (even though I never said he was)

Maybe not in Germany... There is a new interview with the German magazine "Der Spiegel":

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/fahrkultur/0,1518,547753,00.html

The last two questions and answers are quite interesting:

The original interview:

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Japan hat recht strikte Tempolimits. Wo probieren Sie denn Ihre Testwagen aus - auf einer eigenen Rennstrecke?

Yamauchi: Leider haben wir so etwas nicht. Aber es gibt noch andere Möglichkeiten ...

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Sie rasen doch nicht illegal?

Yamauchi: (lächelt) Auf den Autobahnringen rund um Tokio gibt es nachts kaum Kontrollen. Alle illegalen Rennen finden eher dort statt. Vielleicht sehen Sie an meinem Gesicht, dass ich nicht gerade traurig darüber bin.


I'll do a quick translation for you:

SPIEGEL ONLINE: There are strict speed limits in Japan. Where do you test your cars? Do you have a test course for that purpose?

Yamauchi:: No, we don't have a test course. But there are others ways...

SPIEGEL ONLINE: You don't participate in illegal street racing, do you?

Yamauchi: (smiles) There are hardly any police controls on Japanese highways at night. This is where illegal racing takes place. As you can see by the look of my face, I'm not sad about this (with "this" he means the lack of speed controls).
 
Back