Land mines (when, where, how)

After a right hand turn and before another right hand turn. Does that make a difference?

Not sure. I think it happens because of a mathematical equation moving on the suspension geometry or something.
They happen almost exclusively while turning right or on a straight when riding the bump stops.
It's always the left front that causes the failure it seems to me.

It happens also regularly on the Nordschleife (can't remember the name of the section) but it's an area where you mainly go left. In all cases, though, the tendency is for the load to be heavily on the front suspension.

I read somewhere on the PCars forum it might have to do with extreme suspension/camber settings.
If so, SMS should make some changes, but I think it would be easier for them to have replays posted (to see the exact place on track where it happens).

Still wonder why I am not affected. One invisible object in the Le Mans pitlane and a few 'hits' in the early days in the pitboxes at Zolder. These were all on PS4, and months ago.
Don't even know if these would fall under the "landmine" issue.
Almost hoping to find one, to see/feel what they do :D

Any chance those who have this often, wrote the car, caster, toe, camber, bump stop and spring rate + damper on the front axle as well as specific action that triggers it ( turn left/right or hit a bump ? Maybe there's a pattern that can be seen :P

I don't really tune my cars, apart sometimes adding a little bit of tyre pressure. And I described above where I was on track when the sudden stops happened.

Had yesterday a BRICK moment at Zolder with the BMW M1 road car .

Speaking of the BMW M1 , yesterday i've done a race at Zolder with soft tires and the AI at 90% .
When my race was done I thought. .... I'm to fast at 90% ( don't put it on 100% they say the AI becomes to aggressive ) for the AI so I will place some street-mediums on the BMW M1 instead off soft tires , this will slow me down with 1 or 2 seconds .
What do you think ...... nothing happens same laptimes same grip feeling as with soft tires on .
You can also see this if you go out of your car on the circuit that the tires have the same profile .

Is it a bug or do I miss here something .

Speaking of the BMW M1 , yesterday i've done a race at Zolder with soft tires and the AI at 90% .
When my race was done I thought. .... I'm to fast at 90% ( don't put it on 100% they say the AI becomes to aggressive ) for the AI so I will place some street-mediums on the BMW M1 instead off soft tires , this will slow me down with 1 or 2 seconds .
What do you think ...... nothing happens same laptimes same grip feeling as with soft tires on .
You can also see this if you go out of your car on the circuit that the tires have the same profile .

I've noticed definite loss of grip with mediums on some cars but not tried my faithful M1. Lap times were hardly affected which surprised me, didn't like the handling as much though. Although not even worth trying to run tests with the current patch really.

I noticed these are still here, but they behave differently now.
I'll usually run close to or through them a couple times befor a large crash with the invisible land mine, but it no longer wrecks the car. It's like they have solved the wreck part by resetting the car or something.
Same crash into nothing and full stop otherwise.
The replay I watched last night showed my headlights shut off and car die, only to restart a second later automatically and let me continue from my full stop.
Anyone else noticed this and still running into land mines?

I've tried a few different cars (road cars). used all-weather, street-mediums and track-soft. I end up running same lap times and the car still feels the same on all tire compounds. Maybe it's just us, lol. This was before the new patch.

I've tried a few different cars (road cars). used all-weather, street-mediums and track-soft. I end up running same lap times and the car still feels the same on all tire compounds. Maybe it's just us, lol. This was before the new patch.
Had the first one in a long time yesterday at RA,guy was lagging ahead of me then boom.

I guess Project CARS needs this in the next update:
tz62suif8ew.jpg

No. They changed the tire model back and forth from 6 to 7.
Can't get enough or too much heat into tires as a wheel user. But pad users aren't over heating tires and complaining.
It seems the realest version of the tire model lost out to a bunch of whining pad users.
Gotta get the pad users sales too, so best tire model was scrapped. ;(
My update for Pcars was paused and I'm now retiring Pcars on version 6 and staying offline.
Not that there is anything to go online for. Haha. ;)

I read somewhere on the PCars forum it might have to do with extreme suspension/camber settings.
If so, SMS should make some changes, but I think it would be easier for them to have replays posted (to see the exact place on track where it happens).

Still wonder why I am not affected. One invisible object in the Le Mans pitlane and a few 'hits' in the early days in the pitboxes at Zolder. These were all on PS4, and months ago.

There's probably some truth to this.
I noticed they changed some of the values in suspension and tire inflation to whole even numbers only. No odd numbers so they can cut the number of possible errors in half almost. Or something. But yeah, there is a very bad, and yet to be resolved, bug lurking in the suspension geometry.

Do you stray very far from defaults?

Yes. New known tire heating bug.

Missed the mark with the tire heating changes in 7.0. They will be adjusted and another attempt again in 8.0.
Pad users no longer whining though.
Some wheel users about noticing no difference in compounds anymore.
I paused my down load and stuck with 6.0 ;)

That happens. I think I have two cars running at bump stop 0.

Cars hitting bump stops can do nasty things :P I tend to use lower value or not at all on the PCars setup I made on the Database.

High caster, high toe ( in or out ), lower springs/damper and lower ride height as well as high camber might make things worse when using high bump stops. Even more so when the car has high downforce and running high speed track or bumpy ones.

Probably Explains why you don't have as many, or any issues?
Could very well be.
Having only one game on the system may also have an influence, especially on consoles. I read about guys having lots of issues, one of them stating that the game was crap because he had no problems with the other 18 (!) games on his PS4. I think PCars graphics and physics are leaning very heavy on consoles. Having their HD as "clean" as possible will not hurt.
As for PC (which I'm using now) this problems could have something to do with the built of the systems, balancing on the point they are comfortably running PCars, or barely up to the task. I can say I have a pretty high end game PC, and I have no issues either.

When I made the switch from PS4 to PC, I was almost exclusively racing LMP1 and LMP 2.
On PC I obviously had to start a new career and chose to start in karts (for the Zero to Hero trophy I did not get on PS4 since I started in Clio Cup). I finished the complete LMP stuff (racing on 100% length). No issues whatsoever, either on console or PC.
Then I read on the Official Pcars forum a topic title: "This game can't handle LMP cars !!".
Turns out that the game crashed for him and all of his league friends when on MP and even in career mode.
Makes me wonder why I had NO issues... Not saying they did not, but I am convinced that it is not the game to blame... not in career mode anyway, which is why I reacted in unbelief, and got some grumpy comments in return...

Makes me wonder why I had NO issues... Not saying they did not, but I am convinced that it is not the game to blame... not in career mode anyway, which is why I reacted in unbelief, and got some grumpy comments in return...

But there are plenty of settings and options, and even if it runs well on your settings on your high end PC it may be a different story on lower end PC's and other settings. A game shouldn't crash, at least not as long as your PC meets the minimum system requirements.

But there are plenty of settings and options, and even if it runs well on your settings on your high end PC it may be a different story on lower end PC's and other settings. A game shouldn't crash, at least not as long as your PC meets the minimum system requirements.
Exactly, my point being: if you run the game on a PC that meets minimum requirements, DON'T go with every setting on high. start low, move higher one by one until you reach the point you system can still handle it on an easy base. Stress it out and it will crash. Is the game to blame, I think not.
SMS never stated you can run the game on high when using a minimum sytem requirement PC. To me, that would be obvious...

Exactly, my point being: if you run the game on a PC that meets minimum requirements, DON'T go with every setting on high. start low, move higher one by one until you reach the point you system can still handle it on an easy base. Stress it out and it will crash. Is the game to blame, I think not.
SMS never stated you can run the game on high when using a minimum sytem requirement PC. To me, that would be obvious...

Provided that they do run at too high settings, yes. But it could also be that they are running the game at low settings, and that it's something about the lower settings that allows for these bugs to appear.

Provided that they do run at too high settings, yes. But it could also be that they are running the game at low settings, and that it's something about the lower settings that allows for these bugs to appear.
I don't know much about PC's tbh, but it sounds more logical to me that problems would arise when the system is pushed to its upper limits ? No ?

I like it when you get the mini landmines, the gentle bumps that make you look behind to see who hit you and find there's no one there, then you spend the rest of the race waiting for the inevitable massive invisible wall to hit you, but it doesn't always appear, instead it teases you so you forget about it, then BAM! stealth landmine!

I don't know much about PC's tbh, but it sounds more logical to me that problems would arise when the system is pushed to its upper limits ? No ?

It depends on the type of problem. Reduced framerate and game crashes are unavoidable when you exceed the system's capacity, they will happen even if you have a perfect script. But the landmine kind of bug happens because there is something in the script that makes it to happen, it's not something that a pushed system will create all on its own.

In this case it could be something with the collision mesh that isn't working alright (either at certain settings, or - like you suggest - when you exceed the system's capacity).

Back