lap time challenge

• Thread starter jeffgoddin
  • 325 comments
You know....maybe uploading my replays won't be so bad after all...I could use some pointers and people will be able to see what is wrong with my driving style...=)

Although I am ready for some flak too...Skynryd and I will be close...that is all I can say haha.

The demolition derby the AI put me through made me lose 10, maybe 12 seconds. I could do a lot better than 3:35 if I could work out how to avoid them without completely screwing up my line. Nowhere near the mystical land of 3:17, much less 3:15, but still.

You know, I'm an idiot. I didn't notice that part about "Stage 1 weight reduction and sports tires", and I've been floundering around on normal tires the whole time.

*sigh*

I'll be back with the cars properly modified.

[edit] Yeah, 3:22.612 with the BMW...definitely an idiot. Granted, most of that was not getting mauled by the AI this time, but yeah.

Sent in my times.

Last edited:
You know, I'm an idiot. I didn't notice that part about "Stage 1 weight reduction and sports tires", and I've been floundering around on normal tires the whole time.

*sigh*

I'll be back with the cars properly modified.

[edit] Yeah, 3:22.612 with the BMW...definitely an idiot. Granted, most of that was not getting mauled by the AI this time, but yeah.

Sent in my times.

All cars get Weight Reduction stage 1 and sports tires. And if you get semi-race suspension, front and rear must be same height and at least 110mm.

I thank-you!!! For pointing that out.....I have some last second tuning to do rofl. This could help a lot haha.

All cars get Weight Reduction stage 1 and sports tires. And if you get semi-race suspension, front and rear must be same height and at least 110mm.

I thank-you!!! For pointing that out.....I have some last second tuning to do rofl. This could help a lot haha.

Just to be clear, sports or semi-race is specified for each car so that relative springs will be about the same. It's just in the case where you get semi-race, you can set the ride height down to 110mm min.

Also, keep working on it, get your times in as soon as you can without rushing too much. I'd like to see most people submit times before moving on. If you're done, though, feel free to get started on the 2nd challenge at Open Cars Grindelwald. I'm also going to be trying other cars at this first challenge after hearing/seeing what the winners did to go so fast so see how much faster I can get.

I've been trying with the Integra and Neon and have gotten both to low 3:17's, but that's it. I do drive AT and with the D-pad, so manual and analog steering, braking, and acceleration may be the difference (though it could be skill, too!:))

I've been trying with the Integra and Neon and have gotten both to low 3:17's, but that's it. I do drive AT and with the D-pad, so manual and analog steering, braking, and acceleration may be the difference (though it could be skill, too!:))

its critical to have MT, because the option to change gear when you need it is always quicker than the automatic selection. Exits from corners to not lose momentum, change gear earlier to catch wheelspin (shortshift technique) or to not lose power in high revs (turbo), also in braking it might help.
anyway its always a cooler to change on your own :)

its possible to be fast with digital steering, but i think analog is easier to be quick anytime you want.

i drive with analog steering and digital gas and brake (to have an option to leftfoot brake)
GT2 dont allow to split gas and brake pedal unfortunately.

Late I know...

3:20.077 with the Audi
3:21.584 with the Celica

Uploading to the tube as we speak...Videos should be up shortly after here.
Also I want to apologize...My sound has glitched mute...so I had to add in Music...I used Gran Turismo only music so hopefully no copyright issues. (music found in the games)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkZvronYfY8

Also I drive using the D-Pad with X and [] buttons...but every tip helps...I mostly need some tuning advice. I know the line through most courses pretty well.

Last edited:
Cool, as I said, I know you're fast, just wanted to make it clear for everybody. Damn, I'm going to have to get lucky or work on test laps to catch you in future events!

I knew I forgot to do something this weekend. Will do it asap. Sorry Jeff, had homework, and spent time with family and my Uncle died. A lot on my mind.

Ah, forgot to mention again that you can add not only sports tires and weight reduction 1 but also sports brakes!

Have one more entrant, welcome Celicaas! So just hurry up and get times in, post them here or PM me so I can get the first week's leaderboard up.

Edit: watching your video jomama. you did it in arcade/time trial, which is fine, but I meant for it do be done in sim mode at the gt regional event for Britain 345hp race. That corvette is giving you more trouble than the TRV 4.0's and Motorsport Elises would have given you otherwise.. Like how you took a peek over your shoulder after coming around the back hairpin to see where that 'vette is, yup, right on your tail!:lol: Great first lap with the TT, only off line a couple times, 2nd lap could have been 2.5-3 seconds faster though judging by your first...

Last edited:
Yeah that second lap with the Audi...I was came into a couple corners too hot because I was like.....Ok that vette is gonna use me as a wall any second now lol haha. Oh well...no harm done rofl.

2nd event best lap time for now is 1:24.2xx from me with Audi, anybody who has time already ? (not properly set up - needs training)

Second event, my best lap time so far after half a dozen laps in the (not yet set up) BMW is six seconds behind karelpipa. I'm liking the BMW so far; I think it'll be one of the ones I use this time. The good news is that I can see where to tighten things up to pick up maybe another four seconds; the bad news is that that's still two seconds behind karelpipa's best time "for now"

Now that I'm racing on it for the first time in maybe seven years, I'm remembering why I always liked this track; it's quite fun, and some of the corners remind me of those corners on Tahiti Road you can zip around at full speed. Now it's all just a matter of figuring out entry and exit speeds, I think.

The MR2's sitting out of this one as well.

I need to find that Celica right away... (just a quick question for jeffgoddin: The Celica in question is NOT the GT-Four RC, right?)

no, not the RC, though it's comparable and I could get it and test it/set it up to be competitive here if you're desperate.

Edit: I'm down to 1:25.7xx with the GTV with some bumping around. I LOVE this track! So many places where skill around corners will shave tenths off your time. Well, every corner, really. Get it just right and you're coming through and out of it 3-7mph faster than when you do it just good. If I could get every corner down on a single lap I'd definitely be in the 1:23's. But honestly, that's never going to happen. So let's see how the other car's I've got in my garage will do...

Also, if anybody can get the .PSV from karelpipa onto youtube or any other video format, it would be awesome to see how he handled Trial Mountain in his TT to get in the 3:14's!!!

And just to make this official:

Results after round 1 at Trial Mountain, 5/8 reporting, still waiting on VANDENAL, jacnob and Celicaas

3:14.472, karelpipa, Audi TT
3:15.367, karelpipa, Integra
3:16.798, CMICK64, Neon R/T
3:17.350, CMICK64, Celica GT-Four '91
3:17.711, jeffgoddin, GTV 2.0 TS
3:17.735, jeffgoddin, CLK 200 Sport
3:20.077, jomama2010, Audi TT
3:21.584, jomama2010, Celica SS-II
3:22.612, skynyrd, 323ci Coupe
3:25.705, skynyrd, Integra

Standings so far:
+0.895 karelpipa
+5.195 CMICK64
+6.502 jeffgoddin
+12.717 jomama2010
+19.373 skynyrd

Next round Grindelwald at the Open Car Cup!

Edit 3 or so: also, kept trying the GTV at Trial Mtn, got into the 3:16's finally, low 3:17's with a bunch of other cars I didn't try as much, 3:14's are still amazing to me, really want to see it!!!

Last edited:
Tried the Pt Spyder, got about 1:25.0 or so as best lap in testing, if I subtract .6 for an early blunder that the first sector time reported accurately, otherwise 1:25.5xx consistently with it. 1:25.4 with the CLK 200 Sport just now.

It's amazing how different and equally fun the GTV, Pt Spyder, and CLK 200 have been in testing around Grindy. Floaty at times is the Spyder, but at other times quite nimble. Drifty is the CLK, which can be used to advantage at times, or can mean loss of momentum at others. I have to say I really like the tuning these cars have, very fun to race. Just enough power to make keeping traction on the sport tires a concern, and just fast enough to demand quick reflexes through the twiddly bits, and yet not fast enough to make recovery from a little mistake no big deal. Lose 3-5mph out of a corner and it matters a lot.

Been trying out the cars some more. The FTO is regularly the fastest, but the BMW's right on its heels. The Integra's a bit further back, generally tied with the MR2, which I find much more enjoyable on this track now that I've messed with the suspension a little. I think I may have stumbled upon just the right settings for it, in fact. Still haven't found the Celica (that makes four used car cycles in a row...!)

I think I'm just going to drop the Integra in favor of the FTO at this point.

Here is Karelpipa's run with the Audi TT.

(Was just uploaded, it can still be watched, but it's still publishing)

Wow! I can tell that the car is set up properly. You just have some amazing cornering in there. On the first lap, the corner going into the back tunnel was done perfectly! I've only been able to make it into the tunnel going 5-7kph slower than you did at best, though on the 2nd lap you went in about the same as I do. Also the downhill right hander after the hairpin after the back straight you did like 6-8kph faster than me on the first lap, and then the left corner after that going onto the front straight you kept your speed like 10kph higher than I do going through it, though the exit was at the same speed. Your first lap was amazing, 2 seconds faster than what I've done. The second lap was still about half a second faster than what I've been able to do, but it was a lot closer to what I consider realistic for myself. Good job!👍👍

Also, finished testing cars for Grindy, my 323Ci can do like 1:25.4 and the Prelude was the best at 1:25.1, now that I've set up the suspension (forgot to do that for testing for the 1st event...)

i finished too
Audi best lap was 1:23.4xx
Lexus best lap 1.23.9xx

but i can go faster with lexus i think

Integra is understeering a lot, just under 1.25 only
MR and 200SX not tested yet.
i post you my setups if you want.

Ooh and thank you Jeff :) really pleased with that comment :)

Last edited:
thanks !
All i can say is, that the (almost) famous licence test with white Skyline on middle section of TM really helped me a lot in tackling corners with moving cars weight.

okay, did some racing on Grindelwald
Audi
1st try
2:55.825 (drunk - 2 second available as minimum)

2nd try
2:57.713 (another helding by opponents)

Lexus
1st try
3:01.772 (forgot to save replay, but its useless anyway)

2nd try
2:59.627 (made superslow race, another runners held me and i made a few mistakes)

this race pissed me of a lot :)

Last edited:
Back