lap time challenge

• Thread starter jeffgoddin
  • 325 comments
Well, PatruckGT2 and MadMax86 haven't jumped in yet, so at least it shouldn't be too embarassing... though I'll have to see how karelpipa is. And CMICK64 I'd say is the favorite so far.

you can see my times on cyberscore.me.uk under nick ''karelpipin'' for now, but mostly for GT1 ;)
when will the season starts ?
Is the minimum ride height too important for lap time? (110mm on semi race Susp as a rule)

P.S.:
are you planning to name one of events in the glory of Dan Wheldon?

I'd like to jump back in but I've got 5 essays due in the next 5 weeks so I won't have much time for video games of any type. :grumpy: I don't want to make a commitment I might now be able to keep, so I think I'll sit this one out. But it sounds like a great idea and I hope the races turn out well!

sorry to hear that AMCNUT, Kingofweasels has to miss, too, sadly.

the season starts now, go ahead and give the first event a try, British GT Nationals 2nd event at Trial Mountain. As I said before, feel free to run all your cars around the track doing test laps as much as you want, then pick two cars to enter for real. Enter the race against the AI with each of those cars twice, and report the best total time for each car.

This makes it more of an in-the-moment challenge than the last series, where you'd get 10 laps in test lap mode to go for a best lap time.

Here's my results. Out of my four cars, after testing again, I decided to run the GTV and the CLK200 Sport.

Edit: So, yeah, start now, try to get a couple times to me by Sunday some time and we'll start the next round after that. Or we'll start it as soon as everybody gets me times.

PS, I've done at least 10,000 laps around Trial Mountain, it's my favorite test track. So even if this week isn't close, the rest of them should be...

GTV, first try, 3:17.711 total time. 2nd try slower.
CLK 200, first try 3:18.868, 2nd try 3:17.735.

So my times are 3:17.711 for the GTV and 3:17.735 for the CLK 200, only 0.024 seconds different! (that's 0.012%!)

Hope that gives you a good idea what to do for this series.

I'm a little surprised my these times, I must admit. In setting up all the cars, I only got under 3:19 four times. Once with the FTO, fastest car I tested, once with the SLK 230 which I eliminated from the event because its engine is too good, once with the Neon, and once with the GTV. And only the FTO and SLK made it under 3:18.

Oops, I've given away the ringer!

Last edited:
Sorry double post, significantly new content (and previous post very long already...)

Car choices (I picked finally after letting you all get first dibs):

jacnob:
MR2 G-Ltd '98
Silvia Spec S Aero
3000 GT SR '95
200SX Q's Aero '97
reserve: Civic Type R '97

skynyrd:
'86 MR2
Integra
Celica GT-Four '91
323ci Coupe
reserve:
FTO

Vandenal:
Celica SS-II
Silvia Spec S
200SX Q's
MX5 1.8 RS
reserve:
Lexus IS200

CMICK64:
CLK
MR Spider '96
Neon R/T
Celica GT-Four '91
reserve:
Civic Type R '97

karelpipa:
Lexus IS200
Integra
TT
MR Spider
reserve:
200SX Q's Aero

jeffgoddin:
GTV 2.0 TS
Prelude SiR/2.2 VTi '98
323ci Coupe
CLK 200 Sport
reserve:
Pt Spyder

PS there is one "ringer" that was 2 seconds faster around Trial Mountain than every other car that it still up for grabs (no I didn't pick it, either!)

My interest is piqued, but I guess I came too late...lol

Last edited:
Not at all! Coming late just means you have fewer cars to choose from! But if you want to join, you also know you probably want to pick the FTO and Neon. PM me some picks and I'll get you in the running. We have almost a week before the first round is due.

Alright...I got my Team

Audi TT 1.8T quattro
Celica SS-II 99
Chaser Tourer S 96
MR2 G-Limited 98
Alternate:
GTV 2.0 TS 16V

Just did some test laps, and it was terrible, nowhere near the times you pulled off. Ugh...my driving must have degraded terribly since the last series.

Hmm...I don't remember the Integra being so uncooperative, though some of my other choices seem to be fairly good; the MR2 is more fun than good, though. I'm having trouble finding the Celica in the used car lot, so it may have to sit out this race.

Last edited:
the Celica appears quite frequently, if it's not there one 10-day, it's bound to be the next. I might suggest going ahead and swapping out the MR2 for the FTO already (in testing it ran an unbelievable 3:17.1 for me...) And if you're doing test laps, just go ahead and enter the event a couple times! We're not here to show each other how awesome we are, but to have fun.

And as mentioned above, without MadMax and Patruck, the results shouldn't be too embarassing for anybody. And also, consider that in order to set all these cars up, I had to do about 150+ laps around Trial Mountain with them, and it was already one of my favorite tracks, so for this first event, don't be worried if you're running in the 3:25-3:28's, that's where I started off with my testing and only eventually nailed it down to the 3:19's, and then finally 3:17's.

the Celica appears quite frequently, if it's not there one 10-day, it's bound to be the next. I might suggest going ahead and swapping out the MR2 for the FTO already (in testing it ran an unbelievable 3:17.1 for me...) And if you're doing test laps, just go ahead and enter the event a couple times! We're not here to show each other how awesome we are, but to have fun.

And as mentioned above, without MadMax and Patruck, the results shouldn't be too embarassing for anybody. And also, consider that in order to set all these cars up, I had to do about 150+ laps around Trial Mountain with them, and it was already one of my favorite tracks, so for this first event, don't be worried if you're running in the 3:25-3:28's, that's where I started off with my testing and only eventually nailed it down to the 3:19's, and then finally 3:17's.

When are the times due?

Yeah, I just went from the end of one 10 day cycle to the start of the next, and it wasn't there either time. That particular car's probably going to have to sit out this race, since I don't particularly want to enter and exit races a couple dozen times.

As for replacing the MR2, I couldn't do that! The MR2's too much fun. Most enjoyable of the bunch I chose, IMO. Heh...not the smartest car to keep, but I enjoy driving it. Maybe the Integra should go...head first into a tree...

As for times, I didn't run the actual event, but with the times I was running, I would say it would be around 3:30 - 3:25, depending on the car. My best lap times so far were with the BMW, which was half a second ahead of the MR2 and two ahead of the Integra. The FTO was right behind the BMW, but I only had time to run a couple sloppy laps with it. I hate to make any decisions without testing all my cars, but the Integra may have to go; the FTO's a lot more enjoyable and quite a bit faster.

I liked the Integra, got under 3:19.5 with it, so I know it can be pretty fast. You're remembering to set up dampers and camber? For FF's which normally have tighter front springs, I usually do dampers at 7 front 5 rear. Camber like 1.6 front 1.4 rear. Haven't really played around with it too much, though, and these are far from extreme settings, so others may have different settings which work for them much better than these...

Can't wait! =D

So far I got some ok times but really...I have a bad feeling about this haha...they will be secret until I release my vids...then well..they are public haha.
And ouch.....I'll probably be the new last place guy...

Last edited:
My current best times are 3:17.350 with the Celica GT-Four and 3:16.798 with the Neon.

Great times! But you did beat me pretty handily in Smart Roadster's one round of challenge, so I believe it.

Just want to get one thing clear, as your wording "current best times" is suggestive that perhaps one thing needs to be made more clear. Let me know if I'm wrong.

For each of the two cars you choose to race after doing test laps, you get two chances to enter the event and compete against the AI for a total race time. That's why I was explicit with my times, GTV time 1st try, 2nd try slower (no 3rd or more tries), and CLK 1st try and 2nd try.

Again, the point of this is to make it more of an "on the spot" test of skill, rather than a test of how good you can be after trying a race 100 times.

Make sense?

And,
All right, we have four guys vying for last place! It will be a heated battle

Hey, if you can find close competition, take it! Like when watching the SuperGT or FIA GT1 series, many times the camera and commentators will focus on the battle for 10th-12th place because nothing interesting is going on further up the field. And yes, they even will pay attention to the very bottom of the field when there's action to be found there.

Cool, as I said, I know you're fast, just wanted to make it clear for everybody. Damn, I'm going to have to get lucky or work on test laps to catch you in future events!

Audi TT
1st try
3:16.150
2nd try
3:14.472

made mistake on 2nd lap, so still 3 tens available as minimum. my best test lap was 1:32.3xx, while in race it was .6xx

Integra
1st try
3:16.402
2nd try
3:15.367

replays saved

Last edited:
Freakin...apparently, I'm good enough to outrun the A.I. until I reach first or second place, after which I immediately get rammed into a wall and hit three times as I try to recover. Over and over again. That freaking Elise always digs into the side of my car as I try to go around corners too. Yeah yeah, I know, stop whining, but it's irritating.

I only ran the race one time so far, and that incident happened almost exactly the same way twice...I ended up with a 3:35. Definitely rusty.

*headdesk*

Try taking one of your other cars to the race and do it until you figure out how to get and say ahead of the ai, then go back and race the cars you intended to enter.

Audi TT
1st try
3:16.150
2nd try
Edit Tomorrow

Integra
1st try
3:16.402

2nd try
3:15.367

replays saved

Nice! Not to give away your secrets, but if you have a way of sharing the saved replay, I love to see what speeds you maintain through the corners. I'm going to go back and try this race again a dozen or so times to see how close I can get. Now that I know it's possible, I know I can drive faster, I just have to figure out how to do it. Thanks for participating! That's a big part of what I get out of these events, seeing how much I have to improve!

Edit: Doh! Avoidable double post... sorry guys.

Back