lap time challenge

• Thread starter jeffgoddin
  • 325 comments
I have a couple days off work this week (unlike last week...exhausting stuff) so I should be able to enter a few cars. I'm just glad it's not Trial Mountain or Grand Valley, those are some aggravating tracks.

Okay got my lap times down. Made an MS Excel spreadsheet and calculated the lap times with the deductions. Also created a Chart showing the difference or improvement in my lap times over 10 laps. Anyway, I fought out a 1:27.650 with the Dodge Challenger. Is that a good lap? Should I be able to get more out of it?

Hey Jeffgoddin, if I wanted to get rims for my car, does that affect the costs of upgrades for the race?

Ha ha! No, knock yourself out with the rims.

Not sure if that's a great time for the Challenger. I've tried 5 more cars after the Supra Twinturbo though and still haven't beat that 1:18.607! I used the Charger '71 tuned to a total cost of 32,480Cr so I got to deduct 3.975 seconds from by best lap of 1:24.558 leaving 1:20.583, and it was the very first time I drove MT! I'm guessing the Challenger time could be quite a bit better, but these old cars are so tricky it's hard to say for sure. It could also be your setup. I'm finding Hard Slicks to be a must, sport tires just won't cut it with this amound of rear end torque.

The way the powerband on these old muscle cars crashes to the redline was driving me crazy so I figured what the heck I'll try MT, and it wasn't that bad at all! I'm one of those gamers without finger dexterity so for fighting games where it's all about combos and rapid button work I totally suck, so I thought I'd just stick to AT on my D-pad to keep it simple, just accel/brake and right/left. Turns out after a few laps I was shifting automatically just by sound and knowing what speed corners were coming up, nice!

As far as Trial Mountain goes, I've actually got it in mind for the next battle, American Muscle vs world classic sports cars, sorry about that! Well, I hated Seattle Short, too, until I did the previous stock challenge there and now I understand it so much better that I'm no longer afraid of entire laps of bouncing off walls.

Yeah, MadMax86 also sent some times, and it looks like we may be chasing him again this week! I finally beat the Twinturbo-R's time with several cars by up to about a couple seconds, but MadMax86's best time is about a second faster than that...:ouch:

I had realy long time without GT2 playing and now I need to remind how and when break on these tracks. Amaizing how much satisfaction it gives me.

What were the times, or do we have to wait until the results?

My fastest times are sub 80 seconds (after applying the year and budget reductions).
Yes we wait for results to be posted after the deadline has passed.

Submitted more times , mostly used cars stock.

MadMax

My fastest times are sub 80 seconds (after applying the year and budget reductions).
Yes we wait for results to be posted after the deadline has passed.

Submitted more times , mostly used cars stock.

MadMax

It was interesting and surprising to see how given the time deduction for going under cost of 0.025 sec per 100Cr stock cars performed almost as well in this challenge as cars tuned to 40,000Cr!

What this means is, don't add any parts that aren't going to be extremely helpful, save the credits instead and get the time deduction. I just re-ran the Twinturbo-R, dropped the turbo, muffler, and driveshaft upgrades, and increased suspension to semi-race and tires to medium slicks while still taking 5000Cr off the price overall, and I reduced my time by 1.3 seconds!

My best time so far comes from a 30,000Cr car+tuning, leaving 10,000Cr on the table in exchange for 2.500 seconds off my time.

And not to spoil the fun too much, but if you're looking for great base cars to start from:

Silvia K's 1800cc '88
Skyline GT-R R32 '89
Supra '93
Supra Twinturbo-R '91
Silvia K's 2000cc '91
RX-7 GT-Turbo '83
RX-7 Infini III '90
RX-7 Type R '91
Cougar XR-7 '67 (yes, really!)

And I've had some Subarus go under 1:19. The Prelude 2.2 VTEC with light tuning and lots of deduction for going under cost may be competitive, but it doesn't receive tuning as effectively as the cars above.

Last edited:
Bleh, i'll admit, i'm doing pretty shoddy at this one at the moment. Can't seem to find the right tuning parts for a good time.

I'll keep trying though.

I was going to pass on this because as usual I'm not interested in tuning, and I really dislike shopping, virtual or not. But I thought why not start in West City, choose something stock for under 40 grand, and run that as is. I'll let Jeff do the deduction math, not that it will help much.

I thought 4wd could make up for lack of tune so I chose the Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione. I didn't do it any justice only running 1:28.801 on the 9th lap, but there are deductions. 8000 under, for one. I don't know what year it is. Info says the Evoluzione was introduced in 1992 and production stopped in 1994.

Just a note, I don't want tires figured into the equation, take my stock time on stock tires, but out of curiosity I found that sports didn't help me and super softs took off nearly 4 seconds. Super softs let me run flat out nearly over the entire track. I only had to lift for T1, just before the entrance into the first tunnel, and briefly on exit from the last tunnel. Everywhere else was hammer down. Yet somebody else could run it another 4 seconds quicker. :crazy:

I know I didn't get out of this what Jeff wanted me too, but I had fun with my weekly dose of GT2. 👍

Results are in for the 6th event, tune your own to 40,000Cr, see the post on the previous page! Perfect tie!

GT2 race series 7th event announcement:

Classic car battle at Trial Mountain, American Muscle vs. Euro and Japanese Sports Cars, demonstration event preliminary to GT UK-3

April 18th opening date, submit results by April 25th

Tuning allowed: Medium Slicks, Semi-Race Suspension, 1.5 way LSD, any transmission you want, weight reduction and power mods as specified below.

Cars to pick from, heaviest to lightest (hp listed is as you'd see it in the garage):

Challenger, no weight reduction, NA-2, engine balance, port & polish, ROM = 374hp
Cuda '70, no weight reduction, NA-2, engine balance, port & polish, ROM = 368hp
Cougar XR-7 '67, no weight reduction, NA-1 = 365hp
Camaro Z/28 '69, no weight reduction, NA-2, engine balance = 355hp
DB6, weight reduction stage 1, engine balance, ROM = 346hp
Shelby GT350, weight reduction stage 1, stock = 303hp
Toyota 2000GT, weight reduction stage 2, turbo-2, engine balance, port & polish = 285hp
Skyline KPGC10, weight reduction stage 2, Turbo-2, Muff-3, port & polish, ROM = 274hp
240Z '71, weight reduction stage 2, NA-2, muff-2, ROM = 254hp
Europa, weight reduction stage 3, NA-2, engine balance, port & polish, muff-2, ROM = 192hp
Elan S4 Sprint '71, weight reduction stage 3, NA-2, engine balance, ROM = 187hp
Elan S2 '64, weight reduction stage 3, NA-3 = 172hp

The cars with the biggest engines got the handicap of least weight reduction to put things on a slightly more even playing field (in theory, we'll see how it goes in practice!)

Take one or more cars from the list above for a spin doing test laps/time trial. On the honor system, in order to keep it fair and not a huge time commitment going for a perfect time, you get 10 laps to go for a best lap time after settling on your tuning (don't abuse the tuning laps for practice, keep them under 2 laps at a time please.)

When you submit your results, feel free to include the details of how you tuned your car and I'll include them in the race report I send out. Things like suspension and transmission settings for example, but also whether you drive AT/MT and what kind of controller if you want.

PM me your results as you get them, let the battle begin!

Results are in!

Japan takes the World Classic Car Cup!
Controversy and Calamity steal some of the spotlight

Japan took 3 out of the top 4 spots to dominate this World Classic Car Challenge, and the Americans just edged out the Europerans with the Shelby GT350 finishing 3rd overall and the Aston Martin DB6 finishing 5th.

The Italian Stallion Patruck GT2 drove a Toyota 2000GT to overall victory, remaining undefeated in his 3 races this season. In what was a bit of a scandal though, the decision was only handed down after GT oficials completed their routine inspections of the top 5 finishers' vehicles and found a Nitrous injection system hidden in the trunk of JISAW's Shelby GT350. JISAW has been given a DQ for this event and a warning that no further misconduct will be tolerated if he wants to avoid a permanent ban from professional racing.

The Finn Phenom MadMax86 looked to be a contender again in the practice sessions leading up to the event, turning in some of the fastest lap times in the field, but an unfortunate collision with an out of control Elan S2 left his Shelby GT350 unable to race in the main event. Still, the lap time he achieved in pratice was good enough for 3rd overall in the team results.

In other results, team FireEmblem10, new to the series, achieved a best result with the Skyline KPGC10, earning Nissan 4th place in the manufacturer's standings and the team 5th place in their first time out. Teams Kingofweasles, stoperan, and Xenn all had good showings and continue to challenge the top of the pack.

Manufacturer's trophy:
1) Toyota 2000GT '67, driven by Patruck GT2
2) Datsun 240Z '71, driven by jeffgoddin
3) Shelby GT350
4) Nissan Skyline KPGC10, driven by FireEmblem10
5) Aston Martin DB6
6) Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 '69
7) Lotus Europa
8) Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67
9) Lotus Elan S4 Sprint '71
10) Dodge Challenger '72
11) Plymouth 'Cuda '70
12) Lotus Elan S2 '64

Team trophies:
1) Patruck GT2
2) jeffgoddin
3) Madmax86*
(result obtained while tuning, unfortunate crash left him out of the official race)
4) Kingofweasles
5) FireEmblem10
6) stoperan
7) Xenn
8) HEAVYSET
9) skynyrd
10) VANDENAL
DQ) JISAW

Full Race Results:
1:39.811, skynyrd, Elan S2 '64
1:38.653, skynyrd, Camaro Z/28 '69
1:37.508, VANDENAL, Elan S2 '64
1:37.500, skynyrd, 'Cuda '70
1:37.452, skynyrd, Toyota 2000GT
1:36.887, skynyrd, Elan S4 Sprint '71
1:35.840, stoperan, Elan S4 Sprint '71
1:35.577, HEAVYSET, Camaro Z/28 '69
1:34.201, stoperan, Elan S4 Sprint '71
1:33.849, jeffgoddin, Elan S2 '64
1:33.687, Xenn, Challenger
1:33.517, stoperan, Europa
1:32.737, jeffgoddin, 'Cuda '70, MT and tough
1:32.548, Xenn, Elan S4 Sprint '71
1:32.482, Kingofweasles, Europa @ 131.72 MPH (212kph)
1:32.359, stoperan, DB6
1:32.237, jeffgoddin, Challenger, tough!
1:31.986, jeffgoddin, Skyline KPGC10, MT, comment: peak power above redline, did 5 laps MT and 5 AT, 1:31.988 best AT
1:31.868, jeffgoddin, Elan S4 Sprint '71
1:31.853, jeffgoddin, Cougar XR-7 '67, MT
1:31.813, Kingofweasles, Skyline KPGC10 @ 130.43 MPH (210kph)
1:31.801, jeffgoddin, Europa
1:31.280, jeffgoddin, Camaro Z/28 '69, MT, ride 108/188 damper 4/5, camber 1.9/0.9, gears 3.145/2.292/1.782/1.463/1.212 final 2.500 auto 5, comments: love the way you can flick the rear end out for a sharp corner like the hard right after the 1st tunnel and the hairpin after the long straight!
1:31.215, jeffgoddin, DB6, great handling except 2 places: downhill right after the hairpin on the back side, and the chicane before the finish...
1:30.870, jeffgoddin, Toyota 2000GT, comment: sleek, gets very fast, fairly stable
1:30.614, FireEmblem10, Skyline KPGC10
1:30.535, Kingofweasles, Datsun 240Z '71 @ 132.52 MPH (213kph)
1:30.499, MadMax86, Shelby GT350, best time during setup testing before the event, unfortunately unable to show on race day
1:30.139, jeffgoddin, Shelby GT350, felt more DF, more stable at high speed over bumps and cornering
1:29.988, Patruck GT2, Shelby GT350
1:29.508, jeffgoddin, Datsun 240Z '71, simply amazing!
1:29.264, Patruck GT2, Toyota 2000GT
1:27.501, JISAW, Shelby GT350 @ 144 mph (232kph)

*********************************************************************************

Good news everybody! It was discovered that a new guy in JISAW's garage crew loaded the wrong Shelby into the team truck. Evidently there was a drift event a week earlier which also needed a Shelby GT350, also stock power, but with additional transmission parts.

Needless to say, that guy is now looking for a job, but team JISAW's honor has been cleared since it has been determined to be an honest mistake, and since team JISAW dealt with the suspicion like gentlemen. The GT Authorities have therefore rescinded the warning handed out earlier, and team JISAW is welcome at all future events without concern.

Last edited:
And yes, this event was built around 2 cars that I wanted to race: the DB6 and the 240Z! (Just got through my 2nd watching of Wangan Midnight)

And no, there are no cars in the world at the time that could compete against the real beasts of American Muscle, so no Corvettes or Shelby Coupes!:lol:

Yeah, not sure what happened with the Silvia in the last event...that's kind of pathetic.

Now, on to the next...!

Yeah, I was curious to know what parts you opted for on the Silvia, feel free to let me know and I'll edit it in for the sake of public education!

Sorry, I don't remember and I already sold the car. I do remember I bought some power parts and sports tires...I don't think I messed with anything else at all on that one.

It was probably mostly down to not having raced on Deep Forest in about five years. The Silvia was the first car I tried (and I'm not the best driver, either), so...yeah. Bad driving plus badly remembered track plus bad upgrading equals utter fail.

Overconfidence and illness seem to have ruined that one for me. I took the Challenger, but it was completely useless even after I (over)tuned it up, and I expected waaaaay more time deduction (for using an old car) than I actually got. If I would have bothered to think it out, I might have made a better decision, but it was late, I was tired, and I had a cold (thus probably not thinking as well as I could have been). The thing is, the Cougar is older and faster, and I probably could have almost won had I used it instead. Epic facepalm! Hope I can do better on this one...

Could've (almost) won with the Cougar? I challenge you to back that up!! (when you're healthy) :)

As always, anybody is free to PM me a time after the fact and I'll edit it in. Yes, I found the Cougar to be surprisingly fast, so I'm very curious to see what others could do with it (who are more used to MT!)

Medium Slicks, Semi-Race Suspension, 1.5 way LSD, any transmission you want, weight reduction and power mods as specified below.

Does it mean I'm allowed to put on the car every clutch, transmission and so I want, or only the custom ratios? Just to be sure I'm not building illegal cars...

Toyota, Skyline, Elans - if You can't translate just post prices of these cars

To be honest, I'm not sure what to translate these to. They appear to all have the same names in US/J/PAL versions, unless in a PAL language other than English they get translated...

But here goes:
Lotus Elan S2 '64: 41,000Cr
Lotus Elan S4 Sprint '71: 37,600Cr
Toyota 2000GT '67: around 116,000Cr used, rare
Nissan Skyline GT-R KPGC10 '71: around 35,500Cr used, somewhat less rare

Back