Last Mission in "Sun Also Rises" now impossible?

• Thread starter Masticore
  • 61 comments
Germany
Germany
As we all know, update 1.20 has changed the tire wear somehow. Some claim, tires don't wear faster than before, only the indicator behaves differently. Others (including myself) are sure that tires wear significantly faster now. Well, here's the thing:

In the last mission of "The Sun Also Rises" you have to finish Bathurst in the Jaguar F-Type Gr3 without any pitstop. In every tutorial I read and every video I watched on YouTube, the RH tires show very little wear at the end of the race in lap 10 and consensus seems to be: "Just do your laps in 2:10 average and you will be fine. No need to worry about fuel or tires." Of course, those tutorials were before update 1.20...

I manage to do laps of about 2:08 and indeed have been in first place by lap 5, BUT by lap 6 the tires always are DEAD and the car becomes uncontrollable in corners. So it really seems to be impossible now to complete this mission.

Is anybody experiencing the same or is it just me? If you managed to complete this mission after the 1.20 update, how did you do that?! I tried different fuel map settings and different TKS settings, but tires always die in lap 6.

Same here. Not possible to complete that mission now. Even with fuel management maxed out. Even AI car are struggling in the 2 final laps. This is ridiculous.

Yes traction control as well makes no difference. Fuel management gives me 1 or 2 additional laps but not enough to reach the end. Then the car is undrivable.

Same here. Not possible to complete that mission now. Even with fuel management maxed out. Even AI car are struggling in the 2 final laps. This is ridiculous.
Even in the endurance races the tyres wear out in lap 2 meaning no grip

I just gave it a try and it was lap 8 where I couldn't brake in a straight line any more. Setting the brake balance to the front helps a bit, I'll perhaps try it again with it all the way to the front from the start.

I think they have changed what causes tyre wear. It used to all be about the braking %, but the fact it's now wearing the right tyres more than the left suggests cornering speed is now a factor.

You can cut the track in at least two places in this mission, there are no penalties. I hate the track, I'm terrible at it, but I managed a 2:05. I've marked them in red:

1661517230749.png

Thank you for your findings! If the tires died on lap 8 in your try that is 2 laps more than in my previous attempts. So there is hope? I wasn't aware of the second cut and will give it another try with brake balance set to the front.

Thank you for your findings! If the tires died on lap 8 in your try that is 2 laps more than in my previous attempts. So there is hope? I wasn't aware of the second cut and will give it another try with brake balance set to the front.
Take it easy through the second cut, don't get greedy and try to save too much time with it. You can go quite slowly and still gain 1-2 seconds.

I've just won it. The AI also really struggles with the tyres, my last 2 laps were 2:27 and 2:40 and I still won, you only need to complete 9 laps. I'd say don't bother with the 2nd cut, just drive to save the tyres all race long, lift and brake gently really early, try to avoid unsettling the car at any time around any corners, don't touch the kerbs etc.

Well, this is good news! What were your brake balance/traction control/fuel map settings? Which lap times did you have in average (excluding the last 2 laps)?

Well, this is good news! What were your brake balance/traction control/fuel map settings? Which lap times did you have in average (excluding the last 2 laps)?
I just did it again and won more easily. I used TC 1, FM 1, BB 5 front. I didn't use the 2nd cut and just took it really really easy all race, trying to avoid all tyre screeching. Some early laps were 2:12, I did manage some 2:08 later as the car got lighter, I probably averaged 2:10 for the first 8 laps. The rear right tyre was still all red on lap 9, and I waited before the finish line to make sure I crossed it after 20 mins, so lap 9 was still 2:40, but the AI was super slow for the last lap too. Don't worry about trying to catch the AI, I didn't gain on the leader at all for the first 4 laps or so. It's all about delaying that right rear reaching full red for as long as possible. The 2nd place AI spun out completely right in front of me on lap 7 or 8! I never used 1st or 2nd gear.

Last edited:
You know, I don't have time to try it again now, but with the AI now being so slow at the end, it might be viable to pit for tyres after 4 laps. I'm thinking after 4 rather than 5, because the reduced weight for the last 5 laps should give lower tyre wear per lap than during the first 4.

You know, I don't have time to try it again now, but with the AI now being so slow at the end, it might be viable to pit for tyres after 4 laps. I'm thinking after 4 rather than 5, because the reduced weight for the last 5 laps should give lower tyre wear per lap than during the first 4.
...you cannot pit in this mission. X-D

@daan: thank you, too!

Last edited:
@breeminator big thanks to you. I just manage to pocket the gold with your advise. My tires got destroyed at the last corner of the lap 9 but managed to get first anyway. The other cars got their tires damaged from lap 8 to 9.

I just did it again and won more easily. I used TC 1, FM 1, BB 5 front. I didn't use the 2nd cut and just took it really really easy all race, trying to avoid all tyre screeching. Some early laps were 2:12, I did manage some 2:08 later as the car got lighter, I probably averaged 2:10 for the first 8 laps. The rear right tyre was still all red on lap 9, and I waited before the finish line to make sure I crossed it after 20 mins, so lap 9 was still 2:40, but the AI was super slow for the last lap too. Don't worry about trying to catch the AI, I didn't gain on the leader at all for the first 4 laps or so. It's all about delaying that right rear reaching full red for as long as possible. The 2nd place AI spun out completely right in front of me on lap 7 or 8! I never used 1st or 2nd gear.
Nailed it! Did it exactly as yours and passed the 1st place by lap 9 and he's already struggling so it was a breeze going to the finish. I still have just barely white on the rear tires.

Man, I just registered the forum to reply to this thread... But I wasn't expecting to reach @breeminator or @daan solutions. Thanks for your help, I'll try it as yesterday I wasn't able to finish the race due to the tyres wear.

Wow thank you so much for this thread. I just tried the mission (never got around to completing this set yet) and was about to open a thread about this. I will try this, my tires were dead by lap 6 driving "normally"

Missions
 - In the 'Bathurst Gr.3 Battle' Mission under 'The Sun Also Rises,' tyres wear excessively fast, making it difficult to clear the mission. This issue will be fixed in the next update.

Damn, wasted a lot of time trying to win that one already, a bit too late there :lol:

Damn, wasted a lot of time trying to win that one already, a bit too late there :lol:
Strange they just say "wears extremely fast in this mission" when it actually is a side-effect of the update and tyres in general.
And "fixing" it would be as simple as reducing the tyre wear multiplicator for every event by 1-2 points.

To me it seems they created the original tyre wear setup to almost perfectly match 0-1-2-3 stop strategies depending on the event, now this doesnt fit anymore, not by a small margin.

"tyres wear excessively fast, making it difficult to clear the mission"

I actually found it easier than when the game was released, once I knew it was all about saving the tyres for the last two laps, as the AI is so slow now in the last two laps. It is a bit silly, though, unless the mission description stated that the point of the mission is to learn tyre preservation.

Ooh my english, shalalaa!

Have you tried to gold any of the Rally Circuit Experiences recently, after the latest physics update?
e.g Colorado and Fisherman's?
I'd say that golding those now, is nearly impossible!

Updating physics is a good thing for sure, but i hate the fact that developers are often too lazy to actually balance/readjust their challenges to match their latest physics upgrade...

Hence, i simply cannot gold either of those / or any rallies whatsoever - I'm always few seconds behind the target time no matter how well i drive...

My question/challenge is that: can you still reach gold times on any those tracks, with current physics?

Also I have noticted that the cars are being slowed down at the corners and chicane is that because of tyre wear

Ooh my english, shalalaa!

Have you tried to gold any of the Rally Circuit Experiences recently, after the latest physics update?
e.g Colorado and Fisherman's?
I'd say that golding those now, is nearly impossible!

Updating physics is a good thing for sure, but i hate the fact that developers are often too lazy to actually balance/readjust their challenges to match their latest physics upgrade...

Hence, i simply cannot gold either of those / or any rallies whatsoever - I'm always few seconds behind the target time no matter how well i drive...

My question/challenge is that: can you still reach gold times on any those tracks, with current physics?
This "lazy devs" narrative is stupid and shouldnt be allowed on this forum.

Also I have noticted that the cars are being slowed down at the corners and chicane is that because of tyre wear
The AI is often fast and slow in strange places relative to humans on all tracks. It definitely also suffers the effects of tyre wear later on in this mission.

Back