Left Wing or Right Wing? Take Pop Quiz in OP!

I ended up picking neutral for many of the questions as well, but are the questions poorly worded or just extremely loaded? Not that there aren't some not-so-great questions in there (there usually are with these kinds of things), but I can't recall many that were particularly objectionable.

Took me exactly 20 mins to finish all 6 pages...

i quite like and enjoyed going through the questions...

and fortunately for my sanity, I am also satisfied with my results, i was afraid it would be totally different from what/how i see myself...

The result shows that i am actually true to myself and honest with myself, OR
at least i should say that my understanding of my position on the political compass is fairly accurate...

chart

upload_2021-1-14_0-35-5.png

I am right next to Bernie Sanders...

I highly recommend you all taking it...
I dont know how accurate these questions are, or how calibrated they are with the political compass (they should be), BUT
The point here is to clearly show whether your own understanding and view of yourself is correct or corresponds to the reality...

Taking this test should answer the question: "Am i really where i think i am on this Political Compass ?"

In my case, i am happy to say Yes i am, i am happy to be where i am ...

Go Here to see for yourself: (it shouldn't take you more than 30 mins)
https://politicalcompass.org/test

EDIT:
apparently, I didn't realize that I already took this test about 4 years ago in 2016. Post on page 11

You can compare my above result at the end of the trump presidency with the one below at the beginning of the trump presidency:

chart

In 4 years, I have at the same time moved:
- just ever so slightly more left AND
- just ever so slightly more authoritarian...

Last edited:
Took the test again today out of boredom. Here is my result:
It should be slightly more to the left due to a mistake I made. Realized I voted "strongly disagree" on question 1 about globalization instead of what I intended, strongly agree.
1679088417365.png

Last edited:
I'll even go as far as to explain my rationale for every question on the test. Part 1:

1. If economic globalization is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

Strongly agree. In a liberal world, economic globalization is inevitable, due gains from trade and comparative advantage, and it is true that trans-national corporations largely promote globalization. Globalization benefits both the business class and the ordinary Joe, and is infinitely preferable to autarky or state corporatism. That being said, the interests of trans-national corporations are often fundamentally opposed to the interests of humanity. The former prioritizes short-term profits, growth and influence (both in terms of market share and societal), while what's best for humanity is socioeconomic freedom, prosperity, health, and longevity. The pursuit of short-term profits, growth, and influence by big business often contributes to a more unequal distribution of income and wealth, as expanding equity for human beings would only cut into the maximum profits they can make. Market functions aren't always the best, nor are they the only avenues to serve the betterment of humanity.

2. I’d always support my country, whether it was right or wrong.

Strongly disagree. Blind alliance to the nation state is a bad, superstitious idea on its own foot. Why should a nation's citizens be obliged to support their country if it acts objectively wrongly- i.e. committing war crimes or transitioning to fascism?

3. No one chooses their country of birth, so it’s foolish to be proud of it.

Agree. One should have a reasonable amount of pride for their nation's advancements and positive values. But using their home country as justification to claim moral or intellectual superiority is bogus, as it is not an accomplishment in itself. "Nationalism does nothing but teach you to hate people you’ve never met, and to take pride in accomplishments you had no part in"- Doug Stanhope.

4. Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races.

Strongly disagree. Race is a social, not biological classification. Even if there are aggregate differences in practical intelligence or wealth or productivity across races, it's to do with socioeconomic circumstances and is not at all inherent.

5. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Disagree. This is a fundamentally short-term way of thinking. The "enemy of my enemy" and I are unified and strengthened, by default, by common opposition of my enemy. The two ought to work together where possible to defeat our enemy. Though, this does not dictate that the "enemy of my enemy" and I should be equated, nor the absence of other fundamental conflict. An alliance between two nations solely based on the opposition of another, for example, could lead to an acceptance of harmful or unethical behavior, thus lead to the proliferation of new enemies.

6. Military action that defies international law is sometimes justified.

Disagree. "International law" exists for good reason: to reduce the likelihood of war crimes, and also promote peace, human rights, and even economic stability. Violating international law in itself would reduce the legitimacy and trust of these very institutions to begin with. A nation violating international law is comparable to a citizen violating federal law in most cases; the law is there for good reason, and violating the law can have serious consequences on society. However, just like with federal laws, there are cases in which international law can be unjust, arbitrary, or ineffective.

7. There is now a worrying fusion of information and entertainment.

Strongly agree. The reality is, what's informative often isn't entertaining, and vice versa. There has always been a fusion of information and entertainment, at the expense of integrity and honesty, but it is unequivocally worse now than in past generations. The Fairness Doctrine being repealed ultimately gave way for nationally-syndicated outlets like Fox News to tell outright fabrications and not be subject to any scrutiny. The growth of unverified information disseminated on fringe news outlets like InfoWars and NewsMax as well as on social media platforms has led many to adopt completely unfounded and conspiratorial beliefs, rather than to question or think critically. Democracies have a duty to expel news that is outright fake from broader society to the best of their ability. News corporations... emphasis on "corporation", also have a duty to profit in the short term, and would be compelled to prioritize entertaining stories of little actual substance (such as all the talk about "wokeness" as of late), or ones that are inaccurate or oversimplified, and informative stories that may not captivate the attention of a larger audience would be eschewed. The news shouldn't merely be reflective of what its' audience wants to here the most, even though it is a bias that is hard to overcome when the primary incentive is to profit. Rather, that's how partisan echo-chambers flourish.

Last edited:
Part 2A:

8. People are ultimately divided more by class than by nationality.

Strongly agree. Out of all the political compass questions, I feel that this one separates the left and right wing the most. National differences tend to stem from class, not vice versa. The quality of life and goals of poor people versus the rich differ more greatly than one's ethnic or racial background. With income and wealth inequality exacerbating and reaching record levels, this is especially true now. Though the level and standards of poverty may differ across nations, what constitutes as the proletariat is largely constant- they can only make money by selling their labor, are highly susceptible to exploitation, have a standard of life where basic necessities and financial stability are not guaranteed- and this is prioritized over other goals, and general lack of both positive and negative freedoms. This is still mostly true even in the West. The wealthy, however, are more concerned with amassing and keeping their wealth, have social connections often based foremost on wealth, are rarely laborers, and have a much greater influence on social and political life. Yet oftentimes, the ruling class will hone in on often superficial distinctions between different nationalities and races to blur the distinctions between classes- and this sometimes a deliberate attempt to inhibit class consciousness. The proles fighting against themselves is such less of a threat to the social order than all proles fighting against the ruling class.

9. Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment.

Strongly agree. The presence of inflation is far more damaging to an economy that the presence of unemployment. Especially considering inflation is essentially a regressive tax, it hurts all poor and middle class much more than the wealthy, thus the majority of people. Unemployment is also a horror, though the key difference is that it does not effect all people in a given class, and it is privy to happen in any class. Inflation will eventually cause unemployment to a certain degree, since one of the most effective solutions to inflation is reducing the money supply in the economy (though this isn't the full story, especially in instances of price inflation caused by profiteering in addition to just a demand surge). Unemployment is also more likely to be cyclical and self-correcting than the presence of inflation, which tends to be more long-term and harder to mitigate. Ultimately, as proven by the Phillips curve, actions taken to mitigate inflation will often cause unemployment and vice versa (though not always, as the Phillips curve is not absolute), thus the economy is often forced to answer which is the worser evil, and that is inflation.

10. Because corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily protect the environment, they require regulation.

Strongly agree. This is a more obvious one. Environmental issues are a textbook example of negative externality in the market. Neither individual corporations or markets are not self regulating. As aforementioned, the corporation's foremost duties are profits, growth, and influence. Doing business in a more environmentally sound way cuts into the maximum amount of profits they can make. The only force capable inhibiting corporations from damaging the environment to an extent that is socially regrettable is government. And this is a case where government absolutely should step in. There simply are no other avenues hold corporations liable and disincentive them from polluting without regulation. It would be a fool's errand to think that consumers are powerful enough to just start a rival corporation that is not only voluntarily less environmentally damaging, but also competitive with the ones that are. Profits are short term; the sustainability and health of this Earth is anything but.

11. “from each according to his ability, to each according to his need” is a fundamentally good idea.

Agree. Everyone's basic needs- including healthcare and education, should be met, especially given that the wealth is available to do so. People are simply more productive and have a far greater potential to contribute when their basic needs are met, as opposed to leaving them indigent because it is less costly to do so and would require some degree of wealth redistribution. Of course, this principle isn't absolute- those who contribute more should earn more than those who contribute less, or can't contribute at all. But that does not justify the lesser groups not having their basic needs being met. This is an instance where cooperation and collaboration ought to supersede competition.

12. The freer the market, the freer the people.

Agree. Markets are a necessity for freedom, since not only do they create wealth, but allow for the free exchange amongst citizens. One cannot have personal freedom without economic freedom. However, it's still important to recognize that free markets inevitably create externalities- pollution, severe wealth inequality, monopolization/anti-competitive behavior, lack of labor rights and standardized education, and greater corporate control over government. since not all woes can be met by market forces alone. These issues would in turn make certain people less free, likely those of a lower class. In addition, private corporations can oppress the citizen to an extent comparable to the federal government in the absence of regulation- low wages, rigid hours, little protections, and no sick or vacation time is hardly "freedom". The purpose of government action is to rectify where the market cannot meaningfully address injustices. If it could, then everyone would have healthcare in the United States.

13. It’s a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product.

Agree. Water is an inelastic good and a fundamental human need, therefore it ought to be a public good. Sure, I have no problem with the existence posh rich-person water alternatives like Evian, but basic clean, drinkable water itself should be universal, especially since the world is more than capable of providing it. But this question isn't meant to be taken literally- it's asserting that market logic principles and the need to profit applying to even the most basic human needs is a negative reflection of society. Which I believe it is, and where capitalism falls short. Sure, the act of governments nationalizing the drinking water supply or providing drinking water to all citizens, tax-payer funded, is anti-market logic, but will deliver better results from a utilitarian standpoint, since no one is excluded based on an inability to pay.

14. Land shouldn’t be a commodity to be bought and sold.

Disagree. This is a tough one to answer. De-commodification of land, in theory, would allow for the land to be utilized much more efficiently and equitably. Problems like land scarcity, land being used inefficiently (think suburban homes with massive lots whilst a total ban on mixed-use zoning, leading to higher aggregate prices), and food shortages could be solved much more readily than allowing citizens to do whatever they want with the land so long that they own it. But this also must be weighed with property rights, which are integral to freedom. All land being publicly owned leaves the potential for government to also grossly abuse and misuse the land without a reasonable amount of oversight, and distribute it unfairly. Alternatively, the right to land ownership should exist, though there should be a healthy amount of regulation to ensure that the land is being used in a way that is efficient to both society and environment, given how finite usable land can be. Otherwise, there would be almost zero incentive for the land not to be apportioned in a frivolous, short-term focused manner.

Last edited:
I'll even go as far as to explain my rationale for every question on the test. Part 1:

1. If economic globalization is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

Strongly agree. In a liberal world, economic globalization is inevitable, due gains from trade and comparative advantage, and it is true that trans-national corporations largely promote globalization. Globalization benefits both the business class and the ordinary Joe, and is infinitely preferable to autarky or state corporatism. That being said, the interests of trans-national corporations are often fundamentally opposed to the interests of humanity. The former prioritizes short-term profits, growth and influence (both in terms of market share and societal), while what's best for humanity is socioeconomic freedom, prosperity, health, and longevity. The pursuit of short-term profits, growth, and influence by big business often contributes to a more unequal distribution of income and wealth, as expanding equity for human beings would only cut into the maximum profits they can make. Market functions aren't always the best, nor are they the only avenues to serve the betterment of humanity.

Disagree. Humans and the interests of humans exist within trans-national corporations as well as outside of them. Globalization is driven in large part by trans-national corporations, many of whom do great work for the betterment of humanity. Globalization is not a sword to be wielded but a movement of humanity, corporations included.

2. I’d always support my country, whether it was right or wrong.

Strongly disagree. Blind alliance to the nation state is a bad, superstitious idea on its own foot. Why should a nation's citizens be obliged to support their country if it acts objectively wrongly- i.e. committing war crimes or transitioning to fascism?
👍
3. No one chooses their country of birth, so it’s foolish to be proud of it.

Agree. One should have a reasonable amount of pride for their nation's advancements and positive values. But using their home country as justification to claim moral or intellectual superiority is bogus, as it is not an accomplishment in itself. "Nationalism does nothing but teach you to hate people you’ve never met, and to take pride in accomplishments you had no part in"- Doug Stanhope.
👍
4. Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races.

Strongly disagree. Race is a social, not biological classification. Even if there are aggregate differences in practical intelligence or wealth or productivity across races, it's to do with socioeconomic circumstances and is not at all inherent.
👍
5. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Disagree. This is a fundamentally short-term way of thinking. The "enemy of my enemy" and I are unified and strengthened, by default, by common opposition of my enemy. The two ought to work together where possible to defeat our enemy. Though, this does not dictate that the "enemy of my enemy" and I should be equated, nor the absence of other fundamental conflict. An alliance between two nations solely based on the opposition of another, for example, could lead to an acceptance of harmful or unethical behavior, thus lead to the proliferation of new enemies.
👍
6. Military action that defies international law is sometimes justified.

Disagree. "International law" exists for good reason: to reduce the likelihood of war crimes, and also promote peace, human rights, and even economic stability. Violating international law in itself would reduce the legitimacy and trust of these very institutions to begin with. A nation violating international law is comparable to a citizen violating federal law in most cases; the law is there for good reason, and violating the law can have serious consequences on society. However, just like with federal laws, there are cases in which international law can be unjust, arbitrary, or ineffective.
Agree. Sometimes defying any laws, from any lawmaking body, is necessary to do what is important or right.
7. There is now a worrying fusion of information and entertainment.

Strongly agree. The reality is, what's informative often isn't entertaining, and vice versa. There has always been a fusion of information and entertainment, at the expense of integrity and honesty, but it is unequivocally worse now than in past generations. The Fairness Doctrine being repealed ultimately gave way for nationally-syndicated outlets like Fox News to tell outright fabrications and not be subject to any scrutiny. The growth of unverified information disseminated on fringe news outlets like InfoWars and NewsMax as well as on social media platforms has led many to adopt completely unfounded and conspiratorial beliefs, rather than to question or think critically. Democracies have a duty to expel news that is outright fake from broader society to the best of their ability. News corporations... emphasis on "corporation", also have a duty to profit in the short term, and would be compelled to prioritize entertaining stories of little actual substance (such as all the talk about "wokeness" as of late), or ones that are inaccurate or oversimplified, and informative stories that may not captivate the attention of a larger audience would be eschewed. The news shouldn't merely be reflective of what its' audience wants to here the most, even though it is a bias that is hard to overcome when the primary incentive is to profit. Rather, that's how partisan echo-chambers flourish.
Disagree. Information is a form of entertainment, and entertainment is a form of information. The strong distinction this statement is trying to make is not real. There is a worrying amount of disinformation and fabrication going on, but that is its own issue.
Part 2A:

8. People are ultimately divided more by class than by nationality.

Strongly agree. Out of all the political compass questions, I feel that this one separates the left and right wing the most. National differences tend to stem from class, not vice versa. The quality of life and goals of poor people versus the rich differ more greatly than one's ethnic or racial background. With income and wealth inequality exacerbating and reaching record levels, this is especially true now. Though the level and standards of poverty may differ across nations, what constitutes as the proletariat is largely constant- they can only make money by selling their labor, are highly susceptible to exploitation, have a standard of life where basic necessities and financial stability are not guaranteed- and this is prioritized over other goals, and general lack of both positive and negative freedoms. This is still mostly true even in the West. The wealthy, however, are more concerned with amassing and keeping their wealth, have social connections often based foremost on wealth, are rarely laborers, and have a much greater influence on social and political life. Yet oftentimes, the ruling class will hone in on often superficial distinctions between different nationalities and races to blur the distinctions between classes- and this sometimes a deliberate attempt to inhibit class consciousness. The proles fighting against themselves is such less of a threat to the social order than all proles fighting against the ruling class.
Neutral. This statement also tries to draw a strong distinction which isn't really there. Differences of nationality and differences of "class" are, to the extent that they exist, intermingled. But people are people, not inherently of national origin, nor inherently of some kind of class. The constructs here are fairly made up.

That being said, these made up constructs do have some real impacts on the lives of people, but they have those impacts in overlapping and almost indistinguishable ways.
9. Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment.

Strongly agree. The presence of inflation is far more damaging to an economy that the presence of unemployment. Especially considering inflation is essentially a regressive tax, it hurts all poor and middle class much more than the wealthy, thus the majority of people. Unemployment is also a horror, though the key difference is that it does not effect all people in a given class, and it is privy to happen in any class. Inflation will eventually cause unemployment to a certain degree, since one of the most effective solutions to inflation is reducing the money supply in the economy (though this isn't the full story, especially in instances of price inflation caused by profiteering in addition to just a demand surge). Unemployment is also more likely to be cyclical and self-correcting than the presence of inflation, which tends to be more long-term and harder to mitigate. Ultimately, as proven by the Phillips curve, actions taken to mitigate inflation will often cause unemployment and vice versa (though not always, as the Phillips curve is not absolute), thus the economy is often forced to answer which is the worser evil, and that is inflation.
Strongly Agree. Inflation is a proper function of government control. Unemployment is not really something the government can actively control, and probably shouldn't be trying to. Unemployment being high might be a symptom that something else is wrong, but then it's that other thing that needs to be looked at.
10. Because corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily protect the environment, they require regulation.

Strongly agree. This is a more obvious one. Environmental issues are a textbook example of negative externality in the market. Neither individual corporations or markets are not self regulating. As aforementioned, the corporation's foremost duties are profits, growth, and influence. Doing business in a more environmentally sound way cuts into the maximum amount of profits they can make. The only force capable inhibiting corporations from damaging the environment to an extent that is socially regrettable is government. And this is a case where government absolutely should step in. There simply are no other avenues hold corporations liable and disincentive them from polluting without regulation. It would be a fool's errand to think that consumers are powerful enough to just start a rival corporation that is not only voluntarily less environmentally damaging, but also competitive with the ones that are. Profits are short term; the sustainability and health of this Earth is anything but.
👍
11. “from each according to his ability, to each according to his need” is a fundamentally good idea.

Agree. Everyone's basic needs- including healthcare and education, should be met, especially given that the wealth is available to do so. People are simply more productive and have a far greater potential to contribute when their basic needs are met, as opposed to leaving them indigent because it is less costly to do so and would require some degree of wealth redistribution. Of course, this principle isn't absolute- those who contribute more should earn more than those who contribute less, or can't contribute at all. But that does not justify the lesser groups not having their basic needs being met. This is an instance where cooperation and collaboration ought to supersede competition.
Disagree. Marx was a conspiracy theorist and wildly out of touch with reality. Marxism has failed everywhere it has been tried. It's not so much that helping those in need is an unworthy goal, but need and ability isn't really what it comes down to. If you squint and turn your head, this statement can look like "teamwork" which is a positive thing and a good way to view society. If you look at it as it was looked at when it was popularized, it's a fundamentally evil idea that turns people into slaves.
12. The freer the market, the freer the people.

Agree. Markets are a necessity for freedom, since not only do they create wealth, but allow for the free exchange amongst citizens. One cannot have personal freedom without economic freedom. However, it's still important to recognize that free markets inevitably create externalities- pollution, severe wealth inequality, monopolization/anti-competitive behavior, lack of labor rights and standardized education, and greater corporate control over government. since not all woes can be met by market forces alone. These issues would in turn make certain people less free, likely those of a lower class. In addition, private corporations can oppress the citizen to an extent comparable to the federal government in the absence of regulation- low wages, rigid hours, little protections, and no sick or vacation time is hardly "freedom". The purpose of government action is to rectify where the market cannot meaningfully address injustices. If it could, then everyone would have healthcare in the United States.
👍
13. It’s a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product.

Agree. Water is an inelastic good and a fundamental human need, therefore it ought to be a public good. Sure, I have no problem with the existence posh rich-person water alternatives like Evian, but basic clean, drinkable water itself should be universal, especially since the world is more than capable of providing it. But this question isn't meant to be taken literally- it's asserting that market logic principles and the need to profit applying to even the most basic human needs is a negative reflection of society. Which I believe it is, and where capitalism falls short. Sure, the act of governments nationalizing the drinking water supply or providing drinking water to all citizens, tax-payer funded, is anti-market logic, but will deliver better results from a utilitarian standpoint, since no one is excluded based on an inability to pay.
Strongly disagree. It's a beautiful thing that when people want something, the market caters to it. If someone wants a certain kind of drinking water, the most pure that money can buy, or the most bubbly or whatever, it's wonderful that people work to provide that.
14. Land shouldn’t be a commodity to be bought and sold.

Disagree. This is a tough one to answer. De-commodification of land, in theory, would allow for the land to be utilized much more efficiently and equitably. Problems like land scarcity, land being used inefficiently (think suburban homes with massive lots whilst a total ban on mixed-use zoning, leading to higher aggregate prices), and food shortages could be solved much more readily than allowing citizens to do whatever they want with the land so long that they own it. But this also must be weighed with property rights, which are integral to freedom. All land being publicly owned leaves the potential for government to also grossly abuse and misuse the land without a reasonable amount of oversight, and distribute it unfairly. Alternatively, the right to land ownership should exist, though there should be a healthy amount of regulation to ensure that the land is being used in a way that is efficient to both society and environment, given how finite usable land can be. Otherwise, there would be almost zero incentive for the land not to be apportioned in a frivolous, short-term focused manner.
👍

Leaving all land in the public domain would be a disaster for so many reasons.

Last edited:
Disagree. Humans and the interests of humans exist within trans-national corporations as well as outside of them. Globalization is driven in large part by trans-national corporations, many of whom do great work for the betterment of humanity. Globalization is not a sword to be wielded but a movement of humanity, corporations included.
This still negates the fact that the primary function of trans-national corporations is to turn a profit. Corporate profits can enrich humanity, but they don't by default and often not in practice. I agree that trans-national corporations contributed to the development of globalization, especially considering how prone people can be to populist, nationalist, even xenophobic sentiment. Trans-national corporations are composed of humans, yes, but also a highly unequal power dynamic when it comes to actual decision making.
Disagree. Information is a form of entertainment, and entertainment is a form of information. The strong distinction this statement is trying to make is not real. There is a worrying amount of disinformation and fabrication going on, but that is its own issue.
I couldn't disagree more. There are many instances of information (i.e. anything I'm learning in Calculus right now) that is informative but not at all entertaining. That's why news outlets that merely state information, like PBS NewsHour, are often derided as boring and don't have anywhere near the viewership of traditional "MSM" outlets. On the contrary, I find videos of dogs acting funnily highly entertaining, though not informative in the least. Because news sources under the current system, whether it's a traditional "MSM" source or not, have a desire to profit just as any other business, they will often prioritize what entertains the viewer over what informs them, and content that blindly supports the audience presupposed worldview is far more entertaining to them. That's why news sources over-sensationalize and lie by omission, because presenting content- regardless of how true it may be- counter to the audience's worldview would disillusion them, thus cut into profits. In theory, news sources should exist to elevate the discourse on current events, not merely be a mirror image of the audience's beliefs.
Disagree. Marx was a conspiracy theorist and wildly out of touch with reality. Marxism has failed everywhere it has been tried. It's not so much that helping those in need is an unworthy goal, but need and ability isn't really what it comes down to. If you squint and turn your head, this statement can look like "teamwork" which is a positive thing and a good way to view society. If you look at it as it was looked at when it was popularized, it's a fundamentally evil idea that turns people into slaves.
I saw that question as whether one agrees or not with the practical meaning of the statement, not Marx as a whole. "Marxism has failed everywhere it's been tried" seems like a thought terminating-cliche. I don't deny that any nation that constructed itself under the guise of "communism" has failed, turning authoritarian and poor, and it is a shame that some leftists will painstakingly defend the Soviet Union and other iterations for largely superficial successes. I'm well aware of fallacies of the labor theory of value for example, but to say that all Marxist principles themselves all failed when instituted is just wrong. Progressive tax systems, labor protections, and social welfare in western countries are necessarily rooted in the Marxist idea. Their very existence is an acknowledgement that vast class-based divisions must exist in the market-based system, and serve not to just allow the lower class live a higher quality of life, but address inequalities between classes so they do not further exacerbate. Besides, were many of the nations that were supposedly founded on Marx's principles truly Marxist? The Soviet Union- marked by state capitalism, totalitarianism and persecution of "enemies" and certain minority groups, and a nationalistic sentiment was more concerned with the aesthetic and co-optation of Marxist principles rather than actually fulfilling them.
Strongly disagree. It's a beautiful thing that when people want something, the market caters to it. If someone wants a certain kind of drinking water, the most pure that money can buy, or the most bubbly or whatever, it's wonderful that people work to provide that.
I agree that competition should exist amongst the water market for customers who can pay. I'm primarily concerned with the allocation (or lack thereof) of drinkable water and other fundamental human needs. If there's enough wealth in the world to guarantee that everyone, or at least a far greater amount of people than now, can access drinkable water and related infrastructure to provide it, why shouldn't they. Leaving the allocation of water purely to market forces will inevitably exclude those who can't pay for it, just like any other good. Why would a water company like Nestle for instance invest in the necessary infrastructure to provide clean water in the developing world, or even in Flint, when there is no clear short-term path to profit from this? Do you agree that drinkable water, a human need, should be treated as a public good?

This still negates the fact that the primary function of trans-national corporations is to turn a profit. Corporate profits can enrich humanity, but they don't by default and often not in practice. I agree that trans-national corporations contributed to the development of globalization, especially considering how prone people can be to populist, nationalist, even xenophobic sentiment. Trans-national corporations are composed of humans, yes, but also a highly unequal power dynamic when it comes to actual decision making.
Corporations are just groups of people. They have an "unequal" power dynamic when it comes to decision making, but lack the force of law, at least in most countries, which is a key distinction. Globalism should benefit people individually, and people in the form of corporations. That globalism is helpful for corporations is critical to achieving and maintaining its benefits.

If corporations saw no benefit from globalism, we'd be far worse off today.
I couldn't disagree more. There are many instances of information (i.e. anything I'm learning in Calculus right now) that is informative but not at all entertaining. That's why news outlets that merely state information, like PBS NewsHour, are often derided as boring and don't have anywhere near the viewership of traditional "MSM" outlets. On the contrary, I find videos of dogs acting funnily highly entertaining, though not informative in the least. Because news sources under the current system, whether it's a traditional "MSM" source or not, have a desire to profit just as any other business, they will often prioritize what entertains the viewer over what informs them, and content that blindly supports the audience presupposed worldview is far more entertaining to them. That's why news sources over-sensationalize and lie by omission, because presenting content- regardless of how true it may be- counter to the audience's worldview would disillusion them, thus cut into profits. In theory, news sources should exist to elevate the discourse on current events, not merely be a mirror image of the audience's beliefs.
So I can't crack a joke during calculus instruction? What if I find calculus entertaining in and of itself? Like any kind of puzzle. There are such people, even if you are not one of them. Have you ever enjoyed learning?

"News sources" come in many forms, but some of the most effective news sources are ones that are entertaining. And that's a good thing. It can be used for disinformation, but it is also helpful for conveying information. Two sides of the same coin.
I saw that question as whether one agrees or not with the practical meaning of the statement, not Marx as a whole. "Marxism has failed everywhere it's been tried" seems like a thought terminating-cliche. I don't deny that any nation that constructed itself under the guise of "communism" has failed, turning authoritarian and poor, and it is a shame that some leftists will painstakingly defend the Soviet Union and other iterations for largely superficial successes. I'm well aware of fallacies of the labor theory of value for example, but to say that all Marxist principles themselves all failed when instituted is just wrong. Progressive tax systems, labor protections, and social welfare in western countries are necessarily rooted in the Marxist idea. Their very existence is an acknowledgement that vast class-based divisions must exist in the market-based system, and serve not to just allow the lower class live a higher quality of life, but address inequalities between classes so they do not further exacerbate. Besides, were many of the nations that were supposedly founded on Marx's principles truly Marxist? The Soviet Union- marked by state capitalism, totalitarianism and persecution of "enemies" and certain minority groups, and a nationalistic sentiment was more concerned with the aesthetic and co-optation of Marxist principles rather than actually fulfilling them.
It's very difficult to separate marxism from that statement. Socialism shouldn't be reduced to a form of marxism, more like marxism is a form of socialism. Socialism predates marx, and it predates that maxim. It's not really accurate to say that socialist ideas support marx's maxim, because those ideas come from elsewhere and in some cases predate that maxim. Social welfare in western countries is rooted in socialist philosophy, not marxism.

The maxim, "from each... to each..." is a confining economic principle that is significantly more narrow than what socialism encompasses. The socialism we use in the US is for sure socialist, but it does not pretend that economics functions in that "from each... to each..." manner. It's not something we operate on at all.
I agree that competition should exist amongst the water market for customers who can pay. I'm primarily concerned with the allocation (or lack thereof) of drinkable water and other fundamental human needs. If there's enough wealth in the world to guarantee that everyone, or at least a far greater amount of people than now, can access drinkable water and related infrastructure to provide it, why shouldn't they. Leaving the allocation of water purely to market forces will inevitably exclude those who can't pay for it, just like any other good. Why would a water company like Nestle for instance invest in the necessary infrastructure to provide clean water in the developing world, or even in Flint, when there is no clear short-term path to profit from this? Do you agree that drinkable water, a human need, should be treated as a public good?
I think these two ideas are not in conflict. The idea that branded bottled water exists does not conflict with the idea that drinkable water can be serviced as a public good. In the US, we have both, and it does not create conflict.

Corporations are just groups of people.
This is an oversimplification that may lead to a false premise, that because corporations are just groups of people, they have the same desires as the individual, or other groups of people.
If corporations saw no benefit from globalism, we'd be far worse off today.
I agree. I don't want to suggest that the interests of business should not to be considered by policymakers, rather that they need to be weighed with the interests of humanity, or the common good. Though it's undeniable that our government prioritizes the former, in part because their power allows them to lobby and reshape government in a way that individuals, or a group of individuals sans wealth, cannot.
So I can't crack a joke during calculus instruction? What if I find calculus entertaining in and of itself? Like any kind of puzzle. There are such people, even if you are not one of them. Have you ever enjoyed learning?
You can crack a joke, I still won't find the topic entertaining, though that's entirely subjective. I enjoy learning. Just less so when the topic doesn't offer me any practical knowledge and when I struggle with it- I'm talking calculus because it's a prerequisite for my majors, rather than out of my own volition.

I'll go as far as to say that not all information can or should be entertaining. An important skill for children to learn is how to absorb information when it is challenging or tedious for them to do so.
"News sources" come in many forms, but some of the most effective news sources are ones that are entertaining. And that's a good thing. It can be used for disinformation, but it is also helpful for conveying information. Two sides of the same coin.
This is in part why it's people like Greta Thunberg who are at the forefront of the climate justice movement, not the climatologist themselves. Sure, Thunberg may not be an expert herself, but her role, driven by her unwavering passion in the subject matter, allows her to popularize their findings and present them in a way that captivates an audience. There is utility in doing so, but this strategy can be used for bad just as it can be used for good. My main point was not that the news can't or shouldn't be entertaining, but often, driven by market incentives, entertainment takes precedent over being informative, and this leads to a decline in the quality of journalism and a proliferation in misleading or even outright fake news deployed as "information".
It's very difficult to separate marxism from that statement. Socialism shouldn't be reduced to a form of marxism, more like marxism is a form of socialism. Socialism predates marx, and it predates that maxim. It's not really accurate to say that socialist ideas support marx's maxim, because those ideas come from elsewhere and in some cases predate that maxim. Social welfare in western countries is rooted in socialist philosophy, not marxism.
Marx didn't create socialism, but he vastly built upon it. I don't think it would be a total misnomer to call social democracy/welfarism "Marxist", even though these ideas are not fully taken to Marx's conclusions. I accept though that these ideals were not totally based in marxism- liberal principles stemming from the enlightenment in addition. But Marx is relevant in the sense that these programs are fundamentally a reflection of the influence and relative immobility of social class in society.
The maxim, "from each... to each..." is a confining economic principle that is significantly more narrow than what socialism encompasses. The socialism we use in the US is for sure socialist, but it does not pretend that economics functions in that "from each... to each..." manner. It's not something we operate on at all.
That's fair. The phrase does seem to imply a one-to-one relationship between the two variables, which can never totally be true in practice.
I think these two ideas are not in conflict. The idea that branded bottled water exists does not conflict with the idea that drinkable water can be serviced as a public good. In the US, we have both, and it does not create conflict.
Guaranteeing access to drinkable water to a populace should come before drinking water is to become a branded product. The production and distribution of bottled water consumes significant amounts of resources, including energy, water, and raw materials. In the United States, where drinkable water and it's infrastructure is bountiful, in part due to our wealth, you rightly point out that basic water as a public good, and other niches of drinking water competing against each other do not conflict, but this is not the case in the developing world. As aforementioned, a water corporation will cater to those who can pay and has no obligation to expand water infrastructure so that those who can't can get water too. That would be the role of government.

I agree. I don't want to suggest that the interests of business should not to be considered by policymakers, rather that they need to be weighed with the interests of humanity, or the common good. Though it's undeniable that our government prioritizes the former, in part because their power allows them to lobby and reshape government in a way that individuals, or a group of individuals sans wealth, cannot.
Ok, but does that mean "If economic globalization is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."?

I don't want to get too hung up on the semantics of the question. The question poses a conflict between human interests and the interests of trans-national corporations. From the outset, I reject this assumption. There are some cases where the interests of humanity as a whole do not align with the interests of a trans-national corporation. Climate change might be a good example of that. But there are many, in fact an abundance, of cases where the interests of humanity and the interests of trans-national corporations do align. That's partly due to the fact that trans-national corporations are an instantiation of humanity, and the people within those organizations look to serve their own interests and the interests of others (this is partly capitalism and partly just social instinct). The question itself is a false dichotomy, and I'm inclined to disagree with it on that basis alone.

The idea that globalism "should" serve some interests is also something which I disagree with. Globalism simply is, it's a movement among people. What it "should" do assumes some level of judgement or oversight of people that I'm not on board with.

The interests of humanity are baked into globalism and multi-national corporations. That part is covered. The part you're concerned about, the part where corporations don't respect the rights of people around the world, is really outside the confines of this statement. The statement does not imply that trans-national corporations should be allowed to harm people or humanity.

You can crack a joke, I still won't find the topic entertaining, though that's entirely subjective. I enjoy learning. Just less so when the topic doesn't offer me any practical knowledge and when I struggle with it- I'm talking calculus because it's a prerequisite for my majors, rather than out of my own volition.
I'm not sure you really considered the point I was making.
I'll go as far as to say that not all information can or should be entertaining. An important skill for children to learn is how to absorb information when it is challenging or tedious for them to do so.
Circular, and somewhat judgmental.
This is in part why it's people like Greta Thunberg who are at the forefront of the climate justice movement, not the climatologist themselves. Sure, Thunberg may not be an expert herself, but her role, driven by her unwavering passion in the subject matter, allows her to popularize their findings and present them in a way that captivates an audience. There is utility in doing so, but this strategy can be used for bad just as it can be used for good.
I feel like you're making my point with this.
My main point was not that the news can't or shouldn't be entertaining, but often, driven by market incentives, entertainment takes precedent over being informative, and this leads to a decline in the quality of journalism and a proliferation in misleading or even outright fake news deployed as "information".
Humans like to be entertained. Sometimes this comes in the form of being taught something, but the more entertaining the teaching the better. Humans also like to be told they are right, and that's (partly) where misinformation comes from. The idea that you can separate information from entertainment, or that they are not overlapping principles, is an illusion. But also what you're railing against is a basic human emotional response. Instead of worrying so much about the people that cater to it, there will always be people that will, consider that it is ultimately a failure of education. We need people to understand their own biases, and learn to think critically for themselves.

I'm not worried about a mix of entertainment and information, that's to be expected and even in many cases enjoyed. I'm more worried about undereducation that results in people accepting misinformation, which is an entirely different problem.
Marx didn't create socialism, but he vastly built upon it. I don't think it would be a total misnomer to call social democracy/welfarism "Marxist", even though these ideas are not fully taken to Marx's conclusions. I accept though that these ideals were not totally based in marxism- liberal principles stemming from the enlightenment in addition. But Marx is relevant in the sense that these programs are fundamentally a reflection of the influence and relative immobility of social class in society.

That's fair. The phrase does seem to imply a one-to-one relationship between the two variables, which can never totally be true in practice.
I'm going to mark this one down as being in violent agreement and move on.
Guaranteeing access to drinkable water to a populace should come before drinking water is to become a branded product. The production and distribution of bottled water consumes significant amounts of resources, including energy, water, and raw materials. In the United States, where drinkable water and it's infrastructure is bountiful, in part due to our wealth, you rightly point out that basic water as a public good, and other niches of drinking water competing against each other do not conflict, but this is not the case in the developing world. As aforementioned, a water corporation will cater to those who can pay and has no obligation to expand water infrastructure so that those who can't can get water too. That would be the role of government.
It's almost like it's not the role of a corporation at all, and shouldn't be expected of them. In the end then, what corporations do - providing goods that people demand - is ultimately a great thing.

Last edited:
Back