• Thread starter Pako
  • 45 comments

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
Things change from time to time, and to continue what DA started in the routine thread, I thought it might be helpful to list specific body parts in different threads. I'm hoping that I can share some ideas for lift routines and hopefully get some idea's from you guys. I'll start off with what exercises I did today, weight in pounds x rep count.

Hip Sled
155x20 (warmup)
265x20 (warmup)
465x20 (warmup)
665x20
820x15
935x15
1115x15

Walking Dumbbell Lunges
120x10 (per leg, 60lb db in each hand)
140x10 (per leg, 70lb db in each hand)
140x10 (per leg, 70lb db in each hand)

Squats
135x15
185x15
225x15

Hamstring Curls (machine)
100x15
120x15
125x15
130x15

Leg Extensions (machine)
50x15
70x15
90x15
140x20

I will say, pushing my guts out on leg press took most of my energy, following up with lunges killed me. Squats for a third lift was insane. Hams and extensions were pathedic but we did it more as a finisher today. Next leg day we will start on squats first.

Calf raises tomorrow.

What was your last leg workout? Share with the rest of us. Get big, get strong, be safe.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Well, my legs are due next for in my routine.

Treadmill, then I "super set" 2 exercises, then "super set" another two exercises, then finish with more treadmill. Since I'm still getting in shape, and gearing my body to respond, I'm focused more on aerobic than mass. I need to lower bodyfat more than build mass.

First up is 20 minutes on the treadmill. I keep it in the 3.4-3.6 mph range, and between a 9 and 12 degree incline. This gets my heart rate up, and the sweat going.

Next is my first superset.
Squats and calf raises.
1st set
105lbs x 15reps - Squats
90 x 15 - Standing Calf raises. (I hold a 45 lb plate in each hand for this.)

2nd set
135lbs x 15 reps - Squats
90 x 15 - Standing Calf raises.

3rd set
185lbs x 15 reps - Squats (this is my goal, I'm creeping towards it (185 x10 last week))

4th set
225lbs x Xreps - Squats (Aim for as many as I can get (last week, it was 3))

Next Super Set
Hip Sled
I do Half Presses (drop weight all the way down, come back up 1/2 way.) and Calf Presses, without getting up. Just move my foot position and between the two exercises.

Half Presses (works the inner thighs and glutes) and Calf Presses
90lbs x 30 reps x 4 sets

Then I finish off with another 20 minutes on the treadmill.

I've been working this routine since mid-december, and will keep on it until the end of April, when I'll change it up to aim for increasing Mass.

Nice going guys!

I can only be jealous of such numbers, but wanting to be able to post those numbers as well some day makes me even more motivated 👍

Currently I'm on Rippetoe's Starting Strength program, hence why the only exercises for my legs are squats and deadlifts. I had never performed a squat, and I started out with 80 lbs on the first day. After 4 weeks, going into my 5th, I'm at 145 lbs. I'm going to try 150 lbs today, though I doubt I'll get it up since my legs are still trashed. (the fact that I went hill climbing with my bicycle didn't help the recover...)

150 lbs probably sounds nothing to you guys, but the beginner I still am to weight training, I feel like a monster when I've squatted 3X5 145 lbs and after that 1X5 154 lbs deadlifts. :D

@DA:
You mentioned that you need to reduce body fat more than build mass. How has this routine been helping you? On it four months now, are you getting some good definition in your legs? I've been in a builking phase for some time now an dneed to start reducing my body fat as well. Hopefully this summer I can shed some fat to where I can actually see some of the muscle I've been building. That's the whole idea isn't it? :)

Last edited:
7Km road run, 2Km downhill, 2km flat, 3Km up.

Done :D

But when I do have occasional pangs of guilt at building my top but not my bottom half I usually hit the machines. Hip sled, Leg curl and leg extensions. Only recently started doing squats, I'll get you weights and reps probably early next week.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, I did dead lifts as part of back.
30Kg x 12 (Warm Up)
40Kg x 10
50Kg x 10

Nothing special, but I don't push on them, I just needed abit of strength in my lower back.

Sounds like a run here at my place would do you a pleasure Evan. The best thing here is that the slopes are always different, so no need for machines. My usual run is 8km long, the first half is all the way downhill, but I need to get back as well, so that's 4km uphill. After 4 km you're feeling great, untill it comes to mind that you need to get back up that huge hill you just came own for 4km long :lol: It's a great pounding on the calves though 👍 My PR is 18 km, did it last summer. I played tennis after that as well, was nearly not able to get back on my feet anymore, so I needed a ride to get me back home :lol:

As for the hardest training I've ever done to my legs, would be the 90km cycling tour last summer. Bear in mind the country I live in, but luckely I've invested in a proper racing bicycle to pick up some great speed. I was so stupid to not stop for extra water bottles, so I had only 0.5 litres of water for 90km long... When I returned home I was sick, nd my legs were down for days. Never, ever will I do something that unprepared again :ouch:

@DA:
You mentioned that you need to reduce body fat more than build mass. How has this routine been helping you? On it four months now, are you getting some good definition in your legs? I've been in a builking phase for some time now an dneed to start reducing my body fat as well. Hopefully this summer I can shed some fat to where I can actually see some of the muscle I've been building. That's the whole idea isn't it? :)
This routine is actually to reduce overall fatness (?) :) Since december I've dropped from 235 to 205 (was down to 202 at one point). My goal is 180-185, and I'm 5'9" tall. Hence the speed of the workout.

To answer your question, this routine has helped reduce overall body fat, but not definition in my legs. I've still got a ways to reduce the overall fat in my body. I used to have more definition before the supplements (only been using them for 2 months) and the loss of definition, I attribute to muscle gain, and water retention. I haven't been too strict on my diet, either, just due to time limitations. One thing I have noticed with this workout, is the "cut" on my thigh is more pronounced. That is very likely attributed to muscle gain, though. I will say that this workout, leaves my legs aching for about 4 days.

I'd like to add Leg Extensions into the routine, but my legs are so sore with this one, I'd be in a wheel chair for the next week. :)

One problem I have is my calves are HUGE, and rarely get a workout to make them feel the burn. Thousands of miles on my bike when I was younger gave me that. My calves are currently 18" and have great seperation in the muscles. Thus training my legs is awkward. At the end of April, that will be addressed with the routine change.

Would I subject someone of your size to a routine like this in order to cut weight and improve definition? Probably not, as with your amount of mass, you'd be better off looking to your diet as the answer. Although the treadmill might be a good idea.

Thanks for the reply. Last I was on the scale, my weight was at 247lbs at 5'11". I think I would look really good if I could get down to 200-210 with minimal muscle loss. I'm thinking a combination of lighter weight, more reps to burn more calories, low fat diet, more smaller meals in the day, and cardio is what I think it will take to get down there.

It's a heck of a lot easier to eat like a horse for 'fuel' so I can have strength and just push my guts outs and feel good about it, problem is I find it harder to even do the simple stuff without getting winded.

I was going to take the night off last night and do my legs tonight. Hoever, once I returned home from the office, and woke up the missus, she plugged into Call of Duty 4. And remained so, until nearly 10pm when I returned from the gym.

I did my leg routine last night, and it was a good one. I didn't have time to finish as the gym was closing and I didn't have 20 miinutes for my winddown treadmill time.

I did 20 minutes on the treadmill to start, incline set at 11 degrees, and 3.5mph on the speedo. This keeps my heartrate in the 140-150 range. For the last two minutes, I bumped it to a 15 degree incline, and 3.6 mph. I did a 2 minute cooldown at 2.0 degrees and 3.0mph.

From there, it was a super set of Squats and Calf Raises.

95lbs x15reps (Squats) and calf raises holding a 60lb dumbell. My balance with the two 45 plates isn't solid enough to get a strict movement, so I used the dumbell last night.

second superset of 135x15 Squats and 60x15 on the calf raises.

Third Superset of 185x15 Squats and 60x15 on the calf raises. This one took alot out of me. I go down deep to so my thighs break horizontal and power up out of it.

Fourth set was 225x15, but I was much too shaky to risk going deep. And with no spotter and being 9:30 at night, I only managed one full squat. I did finish the 60x15 raises though.

I do these all at a fast pace, taking only enough time between sets to change the weight, stretch each leg for 15 seconds and swig down a gulp of water.

From there, I jumped right on the next exercise.
Hip Sled, w/ 90 lbs.
Half squats and Calf raises.
3 super sets, with only stretching and water between the sets (1minute, at most)

The half squats are lower the weight all the way down, and come halfway back up for 30 reps. Switch my foot position, and bang out 30 calf raises without getting up. Take 1 minute between to stretch and swig water, then continue.

My whole workout lasted less than an hour and I was sweating like a pedophile at a playground.

Tonight is a night off, then Saturday Is Back exercises.

Back to legs again. Almost puked and had to sit in my car for a while before I drug myself back into the office. Anyways, here we go. Again, in lbs. x # of reps.

Squats (Narrow stance, all the way down, slow and controlled)
45 x 20
95 x 15
135 x 15
185 x 12
225 x 12
315 x 8

Dumbbell Lunges
70's x 8 reps per leg
70's x 8 reps per leg
70's x 8 reps per leg

Machine Leg Extensions
85 x 20
100 x 20
100 x 20
110 x 10 with 5 sec. hold at the peak

Straight Legged Dead Lifts
45 x 20
95 x 12
95 x 12
95 x 12

I am spent. Those concentrated squats followed by lunges just killed me. I sat in my car a good 20 minutes trying to muster up enough energy to walk into work. My quads are full and destroyed.

I will followup with some calf lifts tomorrow after shoulders. Usually run high reps, 20-40 range on the seated calf machine rangeing from 90 - 180 lbs. and super set with standing calf raises around the same weight and reps.

Every day I ride about 5-6 miles on my bike and that keeps my legs fairly toned, every once in a while I'll go out for a massive ride of 20+ miles and not stop the entire time. That seems to do the trick for me.

OT:
When I was doing P.E. in school we had that point where we were doing weight training as a part of the class. They had some amazing machines that worked out your legs. Apparently I have the strongest legs out of any person at that school. I did consistent lifts on this one machine of over 300 pounds. Twice my body weight at that time. I have since doubled in weight.

I'm not sure how to describe the machine though it was like a sled at a 45 degree angle and you pushed down on a ledge and you'd slide up the incline. If anyone recognizes that vague description would you tell me? I absolutely loved it.

Hip/Squatting sled. There's one in both the gyms I use.

My Workout
Squats
60Kg x 8 (Warmup)
70Kg x 8
90Kg x 6
75Kg x 8

Leg Curl
~60Kg x 8
~74Kg x 8
~80Kg x 4

Leg Extension
~75Kg x 8
~80Kg x 10
~85Kg x 8

Calf Raise (In a sitting position the pad rests on teh top of your knees and freeweights are added to a boom)
20Kg x 20
35Kg x 12
40Kg x 8

I'm still getting the hang of squats, hence the drop down in weight at the end. I want my form to be spot-on for them and get a good, long range of movement. So I'm going to take it slow and make sure I'm making good solid improvements and not skipping steps.

With machines however, I always struggle with huge lactic acid build up. I find it odd as I rarely if ever suffer cramp when running put put some weight on my legs and they burn!

@bergauk: Sounds like a hip sled machine. Most sleds you push the weight up, but I have used some where you are actually on the sled and and the platform is stationary that you push against. It could also be a hack squat machine.

Last edited:
I'll agree with the hack squat.

I, too, did weight training in high school and my class was filled with all the starters for the football team. I weighed 142 lbs and by the end of the semester was hip sledding 550lbs 6 times. Amazing how pumped you get when 20 people are encouraging you to push out that last rep!

I think its a variant of a hack squat. It looks similar to what I used but it was more enclosed and you couldn't exactly see the mechanics of it like that one. How much would one of those run?

Damn well I guess thats out of the question. I'll stick to my bicycle I guess. Maybe I could give piggyback rides as a substitute.

Damn well I guess thats out of the question. I'll stick to my bicycle I guess. Maybe I could give piggyback rides as a substitute.

:lol: Good idea. Lunges are a great low weight exercise. So are one legged squats if you're into that kind of thing, as are wall squats. :)

Ah thanks for the advice. I have a feeling my treetrunk legs need stretching. Every so often now I'm feeling like I'm about to pull a muscle on them.

Leg Press:
45kg x 10
Stretch/Water
50kg x 10
Stretch/Water
60kg x 8

At that point I usually can't feel my ass. I usually stick with working my upper-body as I'm still a skinny dip :P but today I decided to work on the old legs!

Warmed up with leg extenions, 20 rep sets starting with 20lbs and worked up to 140lbs, at 20 lb incriments. Once I got warmed up it was time to lift. Again, in pounds x # of reps.

Free weight Squats. Concentrated, narrow stance, deep as described before.
45 x 20
135 x 15
225 x 15
315 x 10
405 x 5
275 x 15

Machine Press
240 x 20
300 x 20
500 x 15

Single Leg Hamstring Curls
(75 x 10) + (50 x 12) + (25 x 14) Super sets, no rest. Per leg.
(75 x 12) + (50 x 14) + (25 x 16) Super sets, no rest. Per leg.
60 x 20 Per leg.

Felt pretty good about squats. 405 was heavy for 5 reps and really taxed me for the next 15 rep set at 275. With a little time, I hope to get to a good 10 rep set with 405. No of us felt good about legs today so all in all it was pretty good I think.

:cheers:

I did the limbo last night and my legs are killing me. I got potty flop and everything. Totally bogus.

You know what sucks the most about leg day?
I drive a Standard

You know what sucks almost as much?
I live on the second floor

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Straight back, straight leg deadlift. As far as hamstrings are concerned, this exercise really rules! 👍

*cough* Post #10 *cough*

;)

Here's what I mustard up today:

Smith Machine Deep Squats
95 x 20
135 x 20
185 x 15
225 x 15
315 x 12

Machine Leg Extensions
200 x 15
200 x 15
200 x 15
240 x 10

Machine Hamstring Curls (per leg)
60 x 20
60 x 20
60 x 15 + 30 x 15

Aha, but that's the Straight leg deadlift, as opposed to the 'straight leg + straight back' deadlift. Subtle, but significant difference. ;)

Ah, I got ya. I was doing them "straight back". The thought of doing them with a rounded back like that just looks painful, in a bad way. I was always told to not round your back, that's how you can shoot a vertebrae disk across the room. :D

I've seen people do it with an arched back, and it looks just wrong, especially when holding 100kg in your hands. ;)

Alright, first day back in the gym after over 3 months of muscle atrophy.

Machine Leg Extensions.
20x50lbs
15x50lbs
15x50lbs

Seated Machine Ham String Curls.
20x60lbs
20x60lbs
20x60lbs

Seated Machine Leg Press
15x200lbs
15x200lbs
15x200lbs

Dumb bell Lunges
10 steps per leg, 30lb dumbs per arm (Total of 3 sets)

Oh my gosh, I about had a heart attack. It feels good to be back in, but man am I a wuss. I know I have to give it time, but have lost huge amounts of strength in my legs. I'm afraid to see upper body results later this week.

Back