Legendary Zandvoort back on F1 calendar!

• Thread starter BrainsBush
  • 161 comments
I'll believe it when a non-Dutch source says so.

Zandvoort is like Brands Hatch, a great circuit that is awesome to drive, but F1 has outgrown it. Run off would need updating seriously to cope with F1 crashes and the circuit just wouldn't allow for overtaking. Still, I wouldn't complain if either rejoined the calendar.

I'll believe it when a non-Dutch source says so.

Zandvoort is like Brands Hatch, a great circuit that is awesome to drive, but F1 has outgrown it. Run off would need updating seriously to cope with F1 crashes and the circuit just wouldn't allow for overtaking. Still, I wouldn't complain if either rejoined the calendar.
Yep - just checked and its currently an FIA grade 2 circuit, so would need work to bring it up to the grade 1 required for F1.

Back in 2017 they said it would be around 10 million euros fro the required work.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133144/zandvoort-f1-return-realistic

This time €20M investment to participate and about indeed 10M track reconstruction and then the logistics/traffic around the Zandvoort/Haarlem area to reach the circuit. Hopefull and this time a much higher percentage of succeeding. Time will tell

I love the history of the circuit, but F1 outgrew it years ago.

DTM races there, and it’s usually precessional as can be.

Many different touring car series race there, and even in something like TCR cars, the racing is usually very processional.

My prediction is that F1 at Zandovoort would be like Monaco or Hungary. Cool tracks for the drivers, qualifying would be very important and exciting, but the race itself would be a snooze fest.

Any changes to zondvoort that would make it appropriate for F1 would completely change the character of the circuit.

Brands Hatch really is the perfect comparison. Brilliant circuit, but not right for F1.

I can see traffic jams in the entire Randstad, for days. Forget Zandvoort, go for Assen.

I feel Assen is more probable too, Zandvoort is such a weird and uninviting circuit to host an F1 nowadays. Because Assen already hosts the MotoGP for so many years it has proven itself and the circuit is just so much cooler to drive. Zandvoort is just an old piece of history, not to be forgotten, not to be repeated either.

I feel Assen is more probable too, Zandvoort is such a weird and uninviting circuit to host an F1 nowadays. Because Assen already hosts the MotoGP for so many years it has proven itself and the circuit is just so much cooler to drive. Zandvoort is just an old piece of history, not to be forgotten, not to be repeated either.

Zandvoort has nothing but the history. The layout sucks*. The accommodations are ancient. The infrastructure isn't nowhere near capable of handling the horde of Max fans.

*That could say nothing, because odd things happen to make memorable races. Rain.

Last edited:
The infrastructure isn't nowhere near capable of handling the horde of Max fans.
The infrastructure isn't even capable of handling a slightly sunny day. :lol: Would need a massive overhaul of both public transport (upgrade railway) and motorways (currently not even there).

The infrastructure isn't even capable of handling a slightly sunny day. :lol: Would need a massive overhaul of both public transport (upgrade railway) and motorways (currently not even there).

Exactly. Unless they add 2 more railway lines, and either widen all existing roads or find a way to turns 2 way roads into dual lane 1 way roads, effectively doubling their capacity, Zandvoort isn't going to happen. No one in Noord-Holland wants to see the N roads into Zandvoort turn into A roads.

Assen in F1 would be even worse. Remember the ChampCar race that, as I recall, had exactly one on-track overtake?

Just bring back Zolder and give it the Dutch GP a la Dijon (Switzerland) and the Nürburgring (Luxembourg). :dopey:

Track was cut in half the last time they lost the Grand Prix. It is not practical to use it for F1 again.

Track was cut in half the last time they lost the Grand Prix. It is not practical to use it for F1 again.

And the old part of the track has been built over with housing anyway, to compound the already existing noise complaints.

Like I said, it's some achievement for Max Verstappen to have brought the Dutch Grand Prix back to the table but I doubt it'd be a great race if it even happens.

There is no room to modify the track either.

And the old part of the track has been built over with housing anyway

The Northern side of the track is currently park land. There's room but no doubt it would come at a significant price, and with significant opposition. Developing that area for circuit/event infrastructure could ease up infield access and northern perimeter access for spectators. It's also on the far side of the circuit from the town, so no additional noise issue.

But,.. if they're saying €10,000,000 for grade 1 status alone, I'd imagine such development could easily be 20 times that... and it still wouldn't solve the local transport infrastructure issues.

Well, the old layout was definitely legendary: sand all over the place and surly Dutch cops everywhere plying their trade. The course itself presented so little challenge that it was the first F1 race in history in which every car finished.

I am not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse but since we are cherry picking; No-one crashed out of the 1953 German Grand Prix, so by your logic it's because the Nordschliefe is too easy, right?

I am not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse but since we are cherry picking; No-one crashed out of the 1953 German Grand Prix, so by your logic it's because the Nordschliefe is too easy, right?
The 1953 Nurburgring GP had 34 starters and 16 finishers. It is notoriously challenging on suspension, shocks and running gear. Some venues are murder on engine and brakes. My point was that Zandvoordt presented no such challenges. Short, little elevation and mainly flowing corners, it was mechanically easy on the cars. On the good side, it had a corner that facilitated passing.

The 1953 Nurburgring GP had 34 starters and 16 finishers. It is notoriously challenging on suspension, shocks and running gear. Some venues are murder on engine and brakes. My point was that Zandvoordt presented no such challenges. Short, little elevation and mainly flowing corners, it was mechanically easy on the cars. On the good side, it had a corner that facilitated passing.

Being mechanically taxing isn't a measure of whether a circuit is good or not. Zeltweg Airfield was rough on suspension and transmission because it wasn't adequately maintained and was one of the worst circuits to host a grand prix. Also most grand prix circuits from the 50s and 60s had flowing corners, not a negative.

Well, the old layout was definitely legendary: sand all over the place and surly Dutch cops everywhere plying their trade. The course itself presented so little challenge that it was the first F1 race in history in which every car finished.
You are talking complete rubbish. It was a great track with excellent corners. The number of drivers who break the engine/gearbox by missing gears has nothing to do with quality.

Back