Legion Drift Open Comps

• Thread starter Ovac
  • 199 comments
United States
North Carolina
Ovac
Legion Drift

Image1.jpg
Legion League has always had just one goal, find Playstation's best racing gamers and put them to the test. Today we continue that tradition with it's brand new challenge series, Legion Drift. Legion League will be hosting it's own, open to anyone, drifting championships, these 1 night events will see a host of drivers drifting and battling there way to the podium, all hoping to prove there medal and be crowned "The Best In GT5". What's in it for you? A Prize Car (To Be Announced Later) and Bragging rights, Legion League host a verity of events away from there usual activities, all of which are documented and publicly displayed for the world to see. Unlike a drift team, Legion Drift allows anyone and everyone to enter so you never know who you might be competing against! You will be judged on the basic 4 criteria of drifting: Speed, Line, Angle, & Overall Impression. Competitions will be in bracket form (Example Below). Remember, drifting isn't a race, it's all about how well you do! Your runs will be judged by 3 completely impartial and unbiased judges. We will be using the Formula D Rules and procedure for these events which can be found via our website. We will be hosting these events Friday nights at 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific or 1am UK, unless otherwise stated.

Think you got what it takes? If you wish to participate you can either add PSN ID: Ovac or check the Legion Drift thread on GTPlanet for the GT5 Room Number. It's first come first serve basis! Below is a complete list of rules and information. If you have any questions please contact PSN ID: Ovac.

All this information and more found at our website: Legion Drift

Friday: Deep Forest (Section)@ 8pm Edt / 5pm Pdt / Sat 1am England
Notes: After Turn 1 to the back stretch

Rules:

• Open To Anyone
  • No RM Or Race Cars (Except D1)
  • Assists Off (Except ABS)
  • Comfort Hard Tires Only
  • Setups Are Allowed
  • No Overtaking
  • Putting More Than 2 Tires Off The Track Forfits The Round
  • Slamming Barriers Forfits The Round
  • Cannot Be DQ'd in Qualifying
  • 450HP Limit, RWD Only

Regulations:

• 8 Drivers In Tandems
  • Elimination Qualifying If Necessary
  • Multiple Events Per Night May Occur
  • Events Held Every Friday @8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific
  • Will Have Practice/Demo Runs Before Event Starts
  • Formula D Judging System Will Be Used
  • Tracks Will Be On The LLC Calender On The Website
  • No Sign Up, Or League Membership Required

Official Format:
  1. Event Start: 8pm Edt / 5pm Pdt
  2. Demo/Practice Runs: 15 Minutes
  3. Qualifying (2 Non-Consecutive Runs)
  4. Heats 1-4
  5. Semi Finals
  6. Consolation
  7. Final

LegionDriftbracket.jpg

(Bracket Example)​

Last edited:
I'm going to suggest to move this here.

I'd like to enter but it depends if I'm able to use my wheel and also if I have time for it.

Moved, and yes of of course you can use any type of controller you wish!

ANY car can enter? So a 4wd can enter? Or a RM spec or D1 spec? Or even LFA's, ACR's, or any other monster super car that drifts at Mach 3?

Sounds fun, but I think the regulations need a little tweaking.

Also, the bit about not knowing the track/section until after the room is made is a little strange. Will you do a full demo run before each comp, to show the ideal line, and clipping points? I suppose if you use the really common sections (Suzuka, Fuki, Tsukuba, A-Ring, HSR, etc) this probably wont be an issue.

Other than that, good lookin OP. Sounds like a fun event, hopefully I can make some of them.

Yes I forgot to mention that everyone will have the chance to get in some practice/free runs to tune the car and get the feel for it.

We didnt think what kind of car was important, your being judged on how well you drift your car.

Do you think a HP limit should be used? If so what would you suggest?

Also are there any other regulations you think we should use? If so what would you suggest?

Yes We Will Largely Stick To The Major Drift Tracks, Demos Provided Upon Request.

We will have a set schedule, going to Tsukuba Tuesday, and Suzuka Friday!

Last edited:
My opinion is no race cars or race modded cars, no horsepower limit. I wanna use my supra with its full 730hp potential!

I suppose our thinking is, why would anyone even want to drift a Race Car? Your Going To Most Likely Score Badly, but if you think it needs to be an official rule we wouldn't mind.

Im curious why a lot of drifters hate RM's and Race Cars, yet all the ones ive asked the last couple days never give a straight answer. Maybe yall can answer for me. Why should RM's and Race Cars be outlawed? One would think they would perform badly anyway.

Sounds cool. Reason most people don't want them in the comp is because of they are faster in drifts. They are faster due to the amount of downforce front and rear giving them more grip. And you can set up race cars to be insanely good. They just take a little longer to tune haha.

Sounds cool. Reason most people don't want them in the comp is because of they are faster in drifts. They are faster due to the amount of downforce front and rear giving them more grip. And you can set up race cars to be insanely good. They just take a little longer to tune haha.

Thank you alpaca (awesome name by the way), thats all I needed to know. Ive never in my 2 years of playing this game seen anyone drift a race car correctly but since its an issue I will keep RM's and Race Cars out.

Also I cannot omit AWD cars since they can be driven like RWD and have been throughout drifting history.

RULE CHANGE: No RM's Or Race Cars (Except D1)

Maybe at some point we will have events for any and all but not to start with.

Last edited:
Also I cannot omit AWD cars since they can be driven like RWD and have been throughout drifting history.

:lol: :lol: :lol: So you're saying that a car that is giving out power on the front wheels can be driven like a RWD. May get close but it'll NEVER be the same. Only if it 100% RWD converted & that's not possible in GT5. Even with 10-90 it's still giving out power in the front wheels. And about the race cars, the word "Race" says it all they're built to race not drift. Do you see LMP drift in real life, same with Nurb built cars, classic race cars, Super GT, Nascar, etc. D1 cars may be classified as "Race Cars" in GT5 but they were built for drifting not racing.

It's not that we HATE racecars and RM's...I have a few that I really like drifting...but in terms of a comp, they have an unfair advantage over non-racecars (due to downforce, but also partially due to overall weight and weight distribution. Not 100% sure, but tire width may play a role here as well)

As alpaca said, racecars and RM's are not great drift cars out ofthe box...but with the right tune, and right driver, they can be insane! Massive angle and fast.

It is for that same reason that D1 cars are usually banned from comps, as they too can have an unfair advantage due to their speed.

I have a feeling if you leave car restrictions as open as they are now, your comps will turn into Viper, Vette, Blitz, and other supercar fests.

IMO, limiting HP and removing supercars from a comp greatly increase the level of compition. It also provides a greater demonstration of drifting skill, as opposed to "who's the fastest".

Another question I'd like to ask...

You said you will be using FD rules. Are you going to be judging proximity in the same way that the judges have been so far this season? That is to say, will you be lookin for the lead car to follow the ideal qualifying line, while the chase car uses the lead car as a moving clipping point (with it being OK for the chase car to follow a slightly different line in order to maintain proximity)?? Or will you be looking for the chase car to follow the ideal qualifying line, and putting less emphasis on proximity??

So you're saying that a car that is giving out power on the front wheels can be driven like a RWD. May get close but it'll NEVER be the same. Only if it 100% RWD converted & that's not possible in GT5. Even with 10-90 it's still giving out power in the front wheels. And about the race cars, the word "Race" says it all they're built to race not drift. Do you see LMP drift in real life, same with Nurb built cars, classic race cars, Super GT, Nascar, etc. D1 cars may be classified as "Race Cars" in GT5 but they were built for drifting not racing.

Well said, have a cookie. But since AWD are harder to drift, and wont produce as nice control as a RWD there is no harm in allowing them as they wont get as high marks anyway, they can try...but they will fail.

I highly discourage driving AWD.

You said you will be using FD rules. Are you going to be judging proximity in the same way that the judges have been so far this season? That is to say, will you be lookin for the lead car to follow the ideal qualifying line, while the chase car uses the lead car as a moving clipping point (with it being OK for the chase car to follow a slightly different line in order to maintain proximity)?? Or will you be looking for the chase car to follow the ideal qualifying line, and putting less emphasis on proximity??

• Yes, The Lead Car Should Use The Ideal Line, The Chase Car May Use A Different Clipping Point Due To The Lead Car Without Penalty
  • The Chase Car Having To Go Off Line Due To The Lead Car Will Always Be Taken In Consideration
  • We cannot judge proximity due to the no HP regulation at this time.
  • Like D1 Each session will have 2 heats (alternating lead cars)
  • A "One More Time" May Be Used If Judges Cant Agree

Well said, have a cookie. But since AWD are harder to drift, and wont produce as nice control as a RWD there is no harm in allowing them as they wont get as high marks anyway, they can try...but they will fail.

I highly discourage driving AWD.

i have yet to meet a person with a AWD that can tandem properly and for this reason they are not allowed in comps neither here in a video game or in real life

i have yet to meet a person with a AWD that can tandem properly and for this reason they are not allowed in comps neither here in a video game or in real life

Indeed, so why even try? Hopefully only serious competitors will enter!

But because of the differing styles, Friday Drifts will be RWD Only, and a 450hp limit! Sound fair? (no RM or RC of course)

Also Legion Drift will keep rotating tracks to keep it interesting! (Check The Calender On Our Webpage!)

Official Format:

1. Event Start: 8pm Edt / 5pm Pdt
  2. Demo/Practice Runs: 15 Minutes
  3. Qualifying (One At A Time)
  4. Heats 1-4
  5. Semi Finals
  6. Consolation
  7. Final

We would like to thank you for your feedback so far, you have really shaped things up! We just know that once all the bugs are worked out this will be a competition you will enjoy!

Last edited:
Amazingly successful first event thanks to all the competitors involved! And Congratulations to Falken-Ducky on his win!

Winner: Falken-Ducky

2nd Place: wheelman1313

3rd Place: CustomMotors53

(Bracket To Come)​

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun tonight drifting in the comp. Personally I think a HP limit wouldnt be a bad idea, I think it'd keep things even. Like when the viper passed the 350 at the beginning of that round. Either way I think it went well, I hope I get to be there again on friday.

I had a lot of fun tonight drifting in the comp. Personally I think a HP limit wouldnt be a bad idea, I think it'd keep things even. Like when the viper passed the 350 at the beginning of that round. Either way I think it went well, I hope I get to be there again on friday.

Your in luck! 453hp limit this Friday for Suzuka East!

Here's The Results Bracket From Tonight

LegionDriftbracket7312.jpg

I say give AWD its own bracket and day. Maybe as this competition gets more steam, but an advantage is an advantage, so yeah maybe AWD should sit out Drift comps with RWD/RR/MR.

I say give AWD its own bracket and day. Maybe as this competition gets more steam, but an advantage is an advantage, so yeah maybe AWD should sit out Drift comps with RWD/RR/MR.

That is of course why we have Tuesday Anything Goes Drifts, and Friday RWD HP limit drifts ;)

Were banking on not a lot of people even using AWD, in fact to this point, no one has even tried.

Back attcha?

I think if you want to become a part of the GTP drift scene, Anthalicious is a name you'll learn fast (and for good reason)....

Just a side note about your comp...I when you post the brackets after the event , it would be a good idea to also show what car each driver was using (especially on Tues, where it's anything goes).

Back