LEGO Makes a One Million-Piece Bugatti Chiron... And Then Drives It!

Discussion in 'Cars in General' started by GTPNewsWire, Aug 30, 2018.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Arp 273, super_gt and SPhilli911 like this.
  2. INEEDNAWZZZ

INEEDNAWZZZ

Sitting in the driver's seat had to be a pain in the :censored:... literally.

Robin and Snikle like this.
  3. Dsavage27

Dsavage27

That's pretty damn cool honestly. That could be a new idea going forward, making big model projects out of Legos, not necessarily cars but could be anything from a house to a pet for money.

4. Slapped

Slapped Premium

Given the price of Lego kits it would probably cost more than the real thing.

SVX, McLaren, 20832 and 9 others like this.
  5. Tomsoft

Tomsoft

It's a small step for a car, but a big step for the LEGO community.

Seriously, good work done on that, I'm really impressed of the outcome.
    Maybe one of these extreme RC-Engines will make it faster.

6. Mr_dave

Mr_dave

Just needs a trip round the nurburgring being towed by the real thing.

Sinyster and super_gt like this.
  7. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to to promote two products that are unlikely to have any crossover to potential customers. Having said that, Lego is eye-wateringly expensive these days. :crazy:

Imari likes this.
  8. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

Oh, they have always been eye-wateringly expensive, even when I was a kid. Even now, as an adult with some more spending money, I have a hard time pulling the trigger on Lego. Recently picked up the Technic 1/8 scale Porsche, which took me over a year to justify spending on. Glad I got it, though, and the 1/8 Chiron is likely my next buy.

Anyways, this 1 to 1 Lego Chiron is massively impressive. I can't fathom how much time it took to design and plan it. They nailed it though, if you squint it looks like the real thing. :tup:

9. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo

The effect of the lattice-structure body is actually quite beautiful. Just imagine cleaning it though. :nervous:

20832, Dan, Spacegoat and 3 others like this.
  10. TB

TB Moderator

From the article:
    542 (ish), 24 hour days. Good thing there were 16 guys working on it. :lol:

20832, Dan, Spacegoat and 3 others like this.
  11. UnkaD

UnkaD

That geometric lattice design for the body works beautifully. It's absolutely gorgeous. I hope they use this technique on future full-scale models.

Dan and Snikle like this.
  12. KepleroGT

KepleroGT

Now drive it on the Nordschleife

13. Robin

Robin Premium

It was clever to create that geometric layout of the pieces to allow them to curve the corners properly, if it had been done the traditional way it probably would have looked terrible. It also has the added benefit of the pattern looking really attractive. Cool that it drives but holding that steering wheel for long would leave your hands crippled! :sly:

Problem is now this promo model makes the actual kit that's for sale look kinda bad :lol: It really hasn't translated well to Lego imo and costs a ridiculous amount.

14. Gotbeefboy564

Gotbeefboy564

Now will it be possible to take the roof pice or pieces off to make it a convertible?

Dan likes this.
  15. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

I can't really visualise how lots of tiny little motors can come together to power an actual life sized car. I looked up videos of the power function motors and they are tiny! You'd need a huge amount of gearsets just to harness all those motors, let alone multiply the torque enough to move the car.

16. Robin

Robin Premium

I guess the model must be really really light. Under the layer of Lego it must literally be a thin aluminium tub on wheels. The powerfunctions XL motors are reasonably powerful with high levels of torque so if you have hundreds it can probably move at the speed it does in the video.

17. TexRex

TexRex Premium

[​IMG] Screenshot_20180831-212751.png

18. kikie

kikie Premium

Hey, @Michael88 you should build one.

12 hours a day is almost 3 years (2.967 years).

Spacegoat likes this.
  19. Famine

Famine Administrator

Nope. All LEGO.

There's an aluminium front and rear subframe for the wheels to mount to (although the brake discs are LEGO), and there's a bike chain to gather the torque from the motors and deliver it to the rear wheels, but otherwise everything else is LEGO.

20. eran0004

eran0004

So, the 1:8 scale is $350.

Scaling that price tag up to 1:1 (350x8^3) gives $179,200. However, due to the Square-Cube law structural strength diminishes with increase in size, so let’s add some extra bits and pieces and call it $200,000.

Add to that a build cost of roughly $300,000 (13,000 hours) for a grand total of $500,000.

21. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Wonder if the dude who spent that ridiculously amount of money for the Vision GT car would buy this too for that much.

eran0004 likes this.
  22. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

Well, it seems Lego answered my question. Starting at around 3.00 they explained how the motors come together:

Wonder how fast it would go if they put 2300 of this instead :D #Only90sKidsWillKnow
    [​IMG]

bjl23 and Robin like this.
  23. eran0004

eran0004

1.4 to 1.9 mN-m @ 25,000 to 28,000 rpm gives a power of 3.7 to 5.6 W, which for 2,300 engines produces 8.5 to 12.9 kW, or 11.4 to 17.3 hp.

So that’s roughly double to triple the power of the car, and probably more if you account for frictional losses.

You’d need to swap out the gearing completely though, because you only get a total of 3.2 to 4.4 Nm of torque, compared to Lego’s estimated 92 Nm.

24. Robin

Robin Premium

Tamiya Mini 4WD Racers.... memories :(

LeGeNd-1 likes this.
  25. Cowboy

Cowboy Premium

Imagine cleaning up all those Lego pieces in the event of a crash........

TexRex likes this.
  26. TexRex

TexRex Premium

You don't clean up LEGOs when what you build breaks...you build something else.

27. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

That was the sort of thing I dreamed about doing when I was a kid.

Love how the driver had to wear a helmet, I mean how fast did they think it was going to go. They should have tried turning a corner.

well done guys.

Robin likes this.