LEGO Makes a One Million-Piece Bugatti Chiron... And Then Drives It!

That's pretty damn cool honestly. That could be a new idea going forward, making big model projects out of Legos, not necessarily cars but could be anything from a house to a pet for money.

It's a small step for a car, but a big step for the LEGO community.

Seriously, good work done on that, I'm really impressed of the outcome.
Maybe one of these extreme RC-Engines will make it faster.

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to to promote two products that are unlikely to have any crossover to potential customers. Having said that, Lego is eye-wateringly expensive these days. :crazy:

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to to promote two products that are unlikely to have any crossover to potential customers. Having said that, Lego is eye-wateringly expensive these days. :crazy:
Oh, they have always been eye-wateringly expensive, even when I was a kid. Even now, as an adult with some more spending money, I have a hard time pulling the trigger on Lego. Recently picked up the Technic 1/8 scale Porsche, which took me over a year to justify spending on. Glad I got it, though, and the 1/8 Chiron is likely my next buy.

Anyways, this 1 to 1 Lego Chiron is massively impressive. I can't fathom how much time it took to design and plan it. They nailed it though, if you squint it looks like the real thing. 👍

That geometric lattice design for the body works beautifully. It's absolutely gorgeous. I hope they use this technique on future full-scale models.

It was clever to create that geometric layout of the pieces to allow them to curve the corners properly, if it had been done the traditional way it probably would have looked terrible. It also has the added benefit of the pattern looking really attractive. Cool that it drives but holding that steering wheel for long would leave your hands crippled! :sly:

Problem is now this promo model makes the actual kit that's for sale look kinda bad :lol: It really hasn't translated well to Lego imo and costs a ridiculous amount.

I can't really visualise how lots of tiny little motors can come together to power an actual life sized car. I looked up videos of the power function motors and they are tiny! You'd need a huge amount of gearsets just to harness all those motors, let alone multiply the torque enough to move the car.

I can't really visualise how lots of tiny little motors can come together to power an actual life sized car. I looked up videos of the power function motors and they are tiny! You'd need a huge amount of gearsets just to harness all those motors, let alone multiply the torque enough to move the car.

I guess the model must be really really light. Under the layer of Lego it must literally be a thin aluminium tub on wheels. The powerfunctions XL motors are reasonably powerful with high levels of torque so if you have hundreds it can probably move at the speed it does in the video.

tp-composite-lego-car.jpg
Screenshot_20180831-212751.png

Under the layer of Lego it must literally be a thin aluminium tub on wheels.
Nope. All LEGO.

There's an aluminium front and rear subframe for the wheels to mount to (although the brake discs are LEGO), and there's a bike chain to gather the torque from the motors and deliver it to the rear wheels, but otherwise everything else is LEGO.

Given the price of Lego kits it would probably cost more than the real thing.

So, the 1:8 scale is $350.

Scaling that price tag up to 1:1 (350x8^3) gives $179,200. However, due to the Square-Cube law structural strength diminishes with increase in size, so let’s add some extra bits and pieces and call it $200,000.

Add to that a build cost of roughly $300,000 (13,000 hours) for a grand total of $500,000.

So, the 1:8 scale is $350.

Scaling that price tag up to 1:1 (350x8^3) gives $179,200. However, due to the Square-Cube law structural strength diminishes with increase in size, so let’s add some extra bits and pieces and call it $200,000.

Add to that a build cost of roughly $300,000 (13,000 hours) for a grand total of $500,000.
Wonder if the dude who spent that ridiculously amount of money for the Vision GT car would buy this too for that much.

Well, it seems Lego answered my question. Starting at around 3.00 they explained how the motors come together:

Wonder how fast it would go if they put 2300 of this instead :D #Only90sKidsWillKnow
latest

Wonder how fast it would go if they put 2300 of this instead :D #Only90sKidsWillKnow
latest

1.4 to 1.9 mN-m @ 25,000 to 28,000 rpm gives a power of 3.7 to 5.6 W, which for 2,300 engines produces 8.5 to 12.9 kW, or 11.4 to 17.3 hp.

So that’s roughly double to triple the power of the car, and probably more if you account for frictional losses.

You’d need to swap out the gearing completely though, because you only get a total of 3.2 to 4.4 Nm of torque, compared to Lego’s estimated 92 Nm.

Imagine cleaning up all those Lego pieces in the event of a crash........

That was the sort of thing I dreamed about doing when I was a kid.

Love how the driver had to wear a helmet, I mean how fast did they think it was going to go. They should have tried turning a corner.

well done guys.

Back