Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,396 comments
Here is a picture of my oldest surviving LEGO creation, its from 2002. Next to it one of my newest creations.
Almost 20 years separate them. :)

vfydNFM.jpg

GM74R8F.jpg

I was bored so I decided to make a random creation using the LEGO studio program, whatever pops into my head. With one rule: in 60 minutes or less.
Well, I was craving sweets at that moment so I ended up with an advertising sign for an imaginary chocolate-ice popsicle brand. :D 500 or so bricks.

ucTeAMD.jpg

Thats awesome man! If it wasn't winter time here, I'd grab some fruity pops!

Jerome

I have a stay-at-home vacation coming up and I may have gotten slightly carried away at my local hobby store...

50690103758_a1da2bff3b_b.jpg

Seriously wish I had a stay at home vacation planned. I have quite a few sets on my backlog to build and could probably spend several days with them. Either that or a proper lockdown wouldn't be so bad.

I think you should be offered a job at Lego.
Thanks man! I can't ever see that happening though, as there's way more talented builders out there, and i just don't think i've got the chops for it.

In other news, behold my latest creation. :lol:

It's my entry for the recent Ghostbusters contest for LEGO Ideas.
TBH it's unlikely i'll win anything, as competition is as always stiff. But it was fun designing it.

Seriously wish I had a stay at home vacation planned. I have quite a few sets on my backlog to build and could probably spend several days with them. Either that or a proper lockdown wouldn't be so bad.
I'm looking forward to it, but to be honest I couldn't wait until my time off to begin building (vacation starts this coming Wednesday), so I already finished most of the sets I bought. What I did was set up a little area to build and after work and just put in a hour or so to chip away. I've found Lego to be very therapeutic during this time inside, I highly recommend.

In related news, I discovered a nearby dedicated Lego store and was shocked at the sets they actually had in stock. They had some sets I would have expected to sell out by now like the UCS Star Wars stuff and the large Harry Potter Castle. Grabbed a VW Camper on sale as well as the new Haunted House ride set.

I got the Technics Corvette today from my parents. Think I prefer the hot rod alternative model you can make.

To celebrate the holiday, I decided to finally build a set. Figured after enjoying the new Land Rover Defender in real life, I may as well build the Technics kit. Took a few afternoons, but love the detail of it. Of course, I wish there were a few less stickers involved.
133608920_10225223121144470_7320105384575504378_n.jpg

I felt exactly the same. I got one for my birthday back in July and just got around to building it - it does look better in the flesh, although I don't like the new way of doing engines.

tPtiWPB.jpg

RgjysG3.jpg

The most complicated Lego set I've ever built. It has a lot of quirks and features that I've never seen before - clever door hinges, a functional steering rack and adjustable front suspension. I also like the wheels. Lego really went all-out on this car.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to get the Defender that @MedigoFlame posted, and the Nintendo set that @SPhilli911 has also looks fun, though expensive!

I've always loved cars but I just cannot bring myself to like most of the Lego Technics models... they look like great fun and a challenge to build, but I just don't like the final look of them.. with the possible exception of the old F40 model.

That said, the prototypes shown above by @Nessy and @Michael88 are awesome, and IMHO better than the Technics models that are currently available - I know a few years back you could create and order your own sets (I made a colour Sudoku box, though it was pretty pricey for what it actually is), do you know roughly how much your kits would cost to buy/make?

Not Technic but loaded with functions. Love the lines of this one.
View attachment 981696 View attachment 981697
The DB5 is full of subtle curves that Lego just cannot do. As a random spy car though, it's a great kit.

I'm tempted to get the Defender that @MedigoFlame posted, and the Nintendo set that @SPhilli911 has also looks fun, though expensive!

I've always loved cars but I just cannot bring myself to like most of the Lego Technics models... they look like great fun and a challenge to build, but I just don't like the final look of them.. with the possible exception of the old F40 model.
The Defender is a great kit, and unlike the DB5, it's a car that was designed to be built in Lego.

With the Technics kits, I'm a bit torn. I like putting them together with all the gears etc but mostly the end product doesn't look that good. The exceptions are the Defender, 911 GT3 RS and the Chiron. ( I am currently building the Chiron.)

That said, the prototypes shown above by @Nessy and @Michael88 are awesome, and IMHO better than the Technics models that are currently available - I know a few years back you could create and order your own sets (I made a colour Sudoku box, though it was pretty pricey for what it actually is), do you know roughly how much your kits would cost to buy/make?

As @daan said, the Defender definitely fits the Technics shape with how it's designed. I rather enjoyed seeing the transmission and 4WD system as I was building it, helps that it's got numbered bags so you can take your time with it in sections. Wasn't as pleased with the 991 GT3 RSR that I built last year, but maybe the 991 GT3 RS is better.

@MarcoM How was it to build? I have the set on my backlog to build, but not sure how the process would be. I imagine the gadgets are pretty fun to work with?

Slightly tempted to get the Fiat 500 kit, though I don't know if I have any sort of feelings towards the car itself. But considering I don't really care for the Beetle, but bought it anyways, why not.

Last edited:
I don't have the RSR but I enjoyed the GT3 RS build, although it was annoying spending ages on gears and drivetrain and then covering it all up.

You'd definitely enjoy the Defender then, as much of the gears are still exposed after completing the body and interior.

As @daan said, the Defender definitely fits the Technics shape with how it's designed. I rather enjoyed seeing the transmission and 4WD system as I was building it, helps that it's got numbered bags so you can take your time with it in sections. Wasn't as pleased with the 991 GT3 RSR that I built last year, but maybe the 991 GT3 RS is better.

@MarcoM How was it to build? I have the set on my backlog to build, but not sure how the process would be. I imagine the gadgets are pretty fun to work with?

Slightly tempted to get the Fiat 500 kit, though I don't know if I have any sort of feelings towards the car itself. But considering I don't really care for the Beetle, but bought it anyways, why not.

I think the gadgets on the DB5 are really well done. Especially the chair launcher. You pull back part of the bumper and then the roof opens. When you push the bumper back (there is a rubber band that does that for you) the chair launches. So with one pull and push movement the thing does its famous trick. Than there are hidden machine guns, anti bullet shield. All of that is hidden by a mock up engine that clearly shows the inline 6 with double Weber carburetors.

I don't share the opinion of many slaying of the Lego DB5. I think it trully looks great and instantly recognizable as the one.

I feel the same way, LEGO has released some very good models like the VW Beetle, the Mustang and the F40, but the other more Technic-y models, despite their great features and functions just don't do it for me. I prefer the ''seamless'' design style over the technic panels with their gaps and holes.

Speaking of models, I just ordered 880 parts for a new race car model I just designed, can't wait to build it. Of all things, I chose the color brown as part of its color scheme. :D

Last edited:

Thanks man! I just wish i had the technical abilities, (was more technically minded) to add more working features to my MOCs/prototypes.
As for how much they'd cost to make? I've never actually sat down and priced out one of my MOCs, but i imagine they would work out fairly expensive. I think @Michael88 could answer that question better than i could though, as he actually builds his awesome creations in real brick!
However, i will be hopefully making a list soon on Bricklink, and sourcing the parts for my Wet Nellie James Bond Lotus. The reason being is someone practically ripped off 90% of my idea and has said they'll be submitting it to LEGO ideas, once Lego's James Bond IP runs out, (not allowed to submit a currently licensed IP on there). So it's kind of forcing my hand to make my own submission (when possible), but first i need to be able to fettle with the design in real brick myself.

I generally prefer the Lego Creator series cars over their technic offerings, mainly because the smoothness of the finished model, but also because of the price point, (not that I've bought a Creator set of late). Having said that, i did recently purchase the Technic Ducati Panigale motorbike set, and i must say i feel it was really worth it for the money (paid around £54 at the time). As a technic model i think it works surprisingly well, and i'm pondering purchasing it again, as i'd love to build a 4-wheeled bike or a single seater track car concept, out of Technic.

Thanks man! I just wish i had the technical abilities, (was more technically minded) to add more working features to my MOCs/prototypes.
As for how much they'd cost to make? I've never actually sat down and priced out one of my MOCs, but i imagine they would work out fairly expensive. I think @Michael88 could answer that question better than i could though, as he actually builds his awesome creations in real brick!

Making your own models with real bricks from Bricklink (and other parts platforms) is SERIOUSLY expensive. Of course it somewhat depends on the colors, some bricks are very rare in certain colors and can cost up to € 10/pcs, though I usually stay clear of those, and I use a lot of black in my models because that color is available and usually a little cheaper than other colors. (plus I like it)
The most non-rare expensive parts that add up quickly and make your creation very expensive are, interestingly, large plates and large technic beams - both are necessary for the kinds of models I build (for the frame of the racecars).

You can calculate approx 20-25 cents per new unused brick, so a creation of 1000 parts can easily cost 200 bucks. I have a lot of spare bricks and usually I can cut costs by using some of those, but its always very expensive. Compare that to the LEGO F40 model that costs around 90 bucks for 1000 parts or so.
When I buy the parts I always feel bad because of the price, but in the end, with the assembled creation in my hand I realize its always worth it. Making something you designed on paper/in your head/in computer and make a physical model out of it is amazing.

Also from all the models you have posted, @Nessy , the James Bond Lotus just has to be made in real bricks, its really good. 👍

Last edited:
Back