Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,396 comments
Making your own models with real bricks from Bricklink (and other parts platforms) is SERIOUSLY expensive. Of course it somewhat depends on the colors, some bricks are very rare in certain colors and can cost up to € 10/pcs, though I usually stay clear of those, and I use a lot of black in my models because that color is available and usually a little cheaper than other colors. (plus I like it)
The most non-rare expensive parts that add up quickly and make your creation very expensive is, interestingly, large plates, large and large technic beams, which are sadly necessary for the kinds of models I build (for the frame of the racecars).

You can calculate approx 20-25 cents per new unused brick, so a creation of 1000 parts can easily cost 200 bucks. I have a lot of spare bricks and usually I can cut down costs buy using some of those, but its always very expensive. Compare that to the LEGO F40 model that costs around 90 bucks for 1000 parts or so.
When I buy the parts I always feel bad because of the price, but in the end, with the assembled creation in my hand I realize its always worth it. Making something you designed on paper/in your head/in computer and make a physical model out of it is amazing.

Also from all the models you have posted, @Nessy , the James Bond Lotus just has to be made in real bricks, its really good. 👍
Do you keep every model you have created over the years? Or do you use some of them for spare parts?

Do you keep every model you have created over the years? Or do you use some of them for spare parts?
So far I have dismantled 3 of my very early models which would not meet my ''standards'' anymore, but I'm quite happy with my other models and I plan to keep them. I have them all in a display case.

Coming 1 March

FB_IMG_1609855354574.jpg.317ed2828d720d78ff6c1e00cfa91cbb.jpg

Is that a new size Speed Champion? Hope so, as I've moved into my new office now and I have quite a lot of shelf space to fill!

VXR
Is that a new size Speed Champion? Hope so, as I've moved into my new office now and I have quite a lot of shelf space to fill!

I think the size is similar to the Mustang. Pricetag is 150 Euros.

Coming 1 March

FB_IMG_1609855354574.jpg.317ed2828d720d78ff6c1e00cfa91cbb.jpg
Can't wait, will go nice with the Creator F40.

As long as it doesn't go crazy in price like the Ghostbusters car did. Definitely will be grabbing that at some point. Very cool.
I heard it is going to be about $150 USD, same as the Creator Mustang. So, comparable to whatever the Mustang is in Australian dollars, perhaps.

Finished the Liebherr R 9800 Excavator (42100), I believe it's the largest Technic set by piece count at 4,108 pieces (really 4,008, because there are 100 "rock" pieces). It was the craziest set I've ever built by a long shot. Its gigantic, full of motors and the thing is even app controlled so I can move it around with my phone.

Next to the free train gift :lol:
50807158907_fbebbe6d80_b.jpg

Last edited:
Dude that is EPIC, well done!

I spent a couple hours organizing the pieces from the 911 GT3 RS set into my cardboard organizer. I'm going to try to build a Lancia Stratos out of them :)

It's on the back burner, and some feedback on this idea would be great. I'm thinking of making a plastic replica of my cardboard organizer and call it the 'Rebuilder' for those times like I just had, where I literally had a plastic bin full of all the pieces, or want to re-build a lego set since.

Since there was no more handy lego bags anymore, when it came time to rebuild the Millennium Falcon 10 years ago, and after wasting HOURS trying to find a piece in a single plastic bin, I made this. Granted not every piece fit for that re-build, but for all the small pieces it was money and I just stacked larger pieces around it.

I made this out of the USPS Priority Medium Flat Rate boxes and some clear packaging tape. It took a couple hours to build, but it's saved tons of time since 2010. Thoughts?

961920-df67b3694184dd47dd2d362ac3bfed97.jpg

Jerome

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Since there was no more handy lego bags anymore, when it came time to rebuild the Millennium Falcon 10 years ago, and after wasting HOURS trying to find a piece in a single plastic bin, I made this. Granted not every piece fit for that re-build, but for all the small pieces it was money and I just stacked larger pieces around it.

I made this out of the USPS Priority Medium Flat Rate boxes and some clear packaging tape. It took a couple hours to build, but it's saved tons of time since 2010. Thoughts?

Jerome

That's very similar to what I have to organise. The Porsche GT3 RSR just about filled it to capacity (body parts were the issue), but this is what I use, and I always empty the kits out into it from the start, rather than going from bag to bag:

ae235

I spent a couple hours organizing the pieces from the 911 GT3 RS set into my cardboard organizer. I'm going to try to build a Lancia Stratos out of them :)

Good luck with the Stratos, it's worth the effort 👍

on the back burner, and some feedback on this idea would be great. I'm thinking of making a plastic replica of my cardboard organizer and call it the 'Rebuilder' for those times like I just had, where I literally had a plastic bin full of all the pieces, or want to re-build a lego set since.

If only there were some form of construction toy one could use for building such a thing!

:P

Last edited:
Apparently some Targets got in new sets? Found the new Jeep Wrangler and McLaren Senna GTR set in store, along with some slightly older Creator sets that don't seem to be available. I picked up the Senna GTR, Fiat 500, and an Aston Martin set (for a friend) today, probably the most I've spent at once at Target for Lego sets. Tempted to grab the double decker bus and possibly the Mustang as well.

Not my photo, but someone else's on Reddit.
2cfqywyvhd961.jpg

I was rather surprised by this as I always thought the bigger Creator sets are exclusive to the actual Lego stores. Gotta cancel my Lego store order of the Senna GTR. Man, I'm happy to be able to get them without ordering online. We don't have a Lego store anywhere near where I live.

Last edited:
I heard it is going to be about $150 USD, same as the Creator Mustang. So, comparable to whatever the Mustang is in Australian dollars, perhaps.

Think the Ecto-1 initially was around the same price. But sadly it's been scalped to hell online. Last time I checked it was around the $400AUD mark on eBay and Amazon. :crazy:

The Excavator is incredible. 👍

Last edited:
Think the Ecto-1 initially was around the same price. But sadly it's been scalped to hell online. Last time I checked it was around the $400AUD mark on eBay and Amazon. :crazy:

The Excavator is incredible. 👍
I had to jump through hoops and drive twice the distance I normally would to get the 1989 Batwing for a Christmas gift. Never will I pay double for an item that just came out. Fourth closest LEGO store location hooked it up. Damn scalpers.

I had to jump through hoops and drive twice the distance I normally would to get the 1989 Batwing for a Christmas gift. Never will I pay double for an item that just came out. Fourth closest LEGO store location hooked it up. Damn scalpers.
The scalpers are a major pain in the ass, I've missed many good sets because prices got out of control. Seems more and more people are buying sets as "investments", too. Keeping them until they retire to sell off later. Darn shame for those who want to build them and not spend a fortune.

Apparently some Targets got in new sets? Found the new Jeep Wrangler and McLaren Senna GTR set in store, along with some slightly older Creator sets that don't seem to be available. I picked up the Senna GTR, Fiat 500, and an Aston Martin set (for a friend) today, probably the most I've spent at once at Target for Lego sets. Tempted to grab the double decker bus and possibly the Mustang as well.

Not my photo, but someone else's on Reddit.
2cfqywyvhd961.jpg

I was rather surprised by this as I always thought the bigger Creator sets are exclusive to the actual Lego stores. Gotta cancel my Lego store order of the Senna GTR. Man, I'm happy to be able to get them without ordering online. We don't have a Lego store anywhere near where I live.
Nice, maybe the place to look for hard to find sets is at stores no one would think to find them. I will definitely check out my Target. Apparently Kohl's, too, was selling new sets before they were supposed to be available, like the Jeep and the Senna (as in before Jan 1).

Roo
Good luck with the Stratos, it's worth the effort 👍

If only there were some form of construction toy one could use for building such a thing!

:P

Oh, that thought had crossed my mind, but it'd be pretty heavy empty and not sure if it the bottom would hold up with it full. I decided I didn't want to super glue the whole thing a while ago :lol:

Jerome

So, finished another creation. Its a Can-Am / Interseries racecar from the early 70's. I chose brown as part of its color scheme to mix things up, never built in brown before. And its a underrepresented and misunderstood car color anyway.
900 bricks! Hope you like it!

wN5CbyT.jpg

DeBVRR6.jpg

nIoJVAq.jpg

De6Pt1y.jpg

qCjF1Bj.jpg

Last edited:
So, finished another creation. Its a Can-Am / Interseries racecar from the early 70's. I chose brown as part of its color scheme to mix things up, never built in brown before. And its a underrepresented and misunderstood car color anyway.
900 bricks! Hope you like it!

wN5CbyT.jpg

DeBVRR6.jpg

nIoJVAq.jpg

De6Pt1y.jpg

qCjF1Bj.jpg
He did it again.

Me like!

Ended up taking a trip to the Lego store to get some small gifts for family but ended up grabbing the 1/8 Bugatti Chiron. I did not plan on getting this one, but it was right in front of me. :lol:

50835975466_714b7e7a45_c.jpg

I also have the Porsche GT3 and Lamborghini Sian, but sadly disassembled them just last week to make room so I won't have them all built together for some time.

50835251078_855611ed89_c.jpg

Love it! With the black as a contrast, it looks more copper than brown. It goes incredibly well. 👍
Thank you! Yeah it does look a little copper-ish, or like dark burnt-orange color. Oh how I wish LEGO would make more metallic colored bricks!

@Michael88 own creations look better and not messy like the Lego cars you can buy.
Thanks! :dopey:

My car also got featured on the LEGO car Blog: https://thelegocarblog.com/

Also, since people asked me how many models I have in physical form: (a 2000 brick Excavator and a little 500 brick tank are not in the pic)

WkFAOL1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! Yeah it does look a little copper-ish, or like dark burnt-orange color. Oh how I wish LEGO would make more metallic colored bricks!
Yes it does now you mention it. 👍 And i hear you, i wish they'd do more metallic colours too!

My car also got featured on the LEGO car Blog: https://thelegocarblog.com/

WkFAOL1.jpg
Congratulations man! :cheers: (I know that feeling, been featured a few times last year myself).

Seriously mate, when i look at that picture above of your race car MOCs all on display like that, it really does remind me of those expensive 1:18 scale car collections that some members have, (not that Lego's cheap). I do now and again lurk in that thread to drool over their gorgeous collections. :drool: And honestly this is just as good if not better, as you personally created/designed these yourself, out of plastic bricks! :drool:
You've really got an awesome talent, man, something to be very proud of! 👍 :bowdown:

Last edited:
I finished the Stratos, what a great build. Props to that dude, super talented.

I just saw this at the lego site, so I'll be buying that tu-dayyy :)

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/off-road-buggy-42124

Jerome
Pictures of the Stratos?? I happen to have my GT3 RS disassembled so I may also build it into the Stratos.

Edit: This is great. I gave my dad, who is 63, retired, and has only built 2 Lego sets in his entire life, (the new Jeep Rubicon and the new Brick Headz German Shepherd) my Lamborghini Sian to build. He sent me this:

50849177636_714163d091_b.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures of the Stratos?? I happen to have my GT3 RS disassembled so I may also build it into the Stratos.

Edit: This is great. I gave my dad, who is 63, retired, and has only built 2 Lego sets in his entire life, (the new Jeep Rubicon and the new Brick Headz German Shepherd) my Lamborghini Sian to build. He sent me this:

50849177636_714163d091_b.jpg

Sure, I've been meaning to get pics of her anyway :)

Also, your dad is missing a wheel, I bet it rolled off the table :lol:

Jerome

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Sure, I've been meaning to get pics of her anyway :)

Also, your dad is missing a wheel, I bet it rolled off the table :lol:

Jerome
Amazing, thanks for sharing! It looks really good, I am definitely going to try it sometime.

It looks like my dad is using the 4th wheel to hold open the instruction manual. :lol:

Back