Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,396 comments
The UCS Razor Crest got announced 6,100+ pieces. I'll make room for that :P

LINK

Jerome
Looks impressive! My brother collects UCS, so at least I will get to see it soon.

I am trying to take a step back on Lego for a bit, mostly thanks to price increases but also I'm just out of space. These large sets are great, but no place to put them.

Finally got this.

312702875_10160148190441760_8019440291680346601_n.jpg

I have the smaller Razor Crest, but I'm gonna pass on the UCS. No room for it anyway.
I just bought the smallest Razor Crest, the MicroFighters one. It's cute! I honestly mainly got it for the minifig though.

We've got a science fiction exhibition on at work at the moment and as a result they're selling the smaller Millennium Falcon in the gift shop. Our staff discount is going up to 25% next week for Christmas and I'm pretty sure there's no exclusion on it, if that's true the only question is whether I'm going to buy one or two.

I just dug all my sets out (dismantled, bagged, boxed and in my parents loft) and re-boxed them to go with all the rest of my stuff so they won't get forgotten and it just made me so excited to share it all with my son once he's old enough. Got a few years to go yet though, he's not even 1 yet... Also I think I've lost my AT-ST. That was a birthday present from my brother and it was the one that triggered my AFL status, sad times. Then again it's entirely possible it is there and I just didn't recognise it, guess I'll have to re-build them all!

Forgot to mention I did what I said I would and bought a 75257 Millennium Falcon, just finished it today. Not bad, good size, the build did end on a slightly repetitive note as all the flaps that open to reveal the interior were almost identical but there's some great detail in there. Bit confused by the minifig selection too; young and old Lando but no Han? I don't even know who the guy with horns is. Did I just get old?

Anyway, I'm already looking forward to dismantling it and putting it in a series of Ziploc bags that I'll forget to label before sticking them in a box separate to the manual and then I'll need to work out a) what the bags even are and b) when I remember what they are, which exact version of it it is.

Gotta say though, doing a big set has reminded me why I spent so much money on sets between 2017 and 2019. I'm just glad there aren't any other sets I desperately want that I could realistically afford. Except the trench run diorama.

Edit: I hope to god my son doesn't grow up to be a train kid, I always wanted Lego trains as a kid myself and it just seems like an absolute money pit. Which, I suppose, is why they exist.

Last edited:
I really don't like the small Technic kits.
Funny you should say that, I "needed" to spend "a bit" more on an Amazon order to get free delivery on a cable I needed so I ordered two small Technic kits, a polybag helicopter and the stunt plane, obviously very quick and easy builds but still fun. I actually built them while giving my infant son his dinner tonight and last night, worked pretty well as a distraction to get him to actually eat too.

I've just taken my 42002 "backhoe skid loader" (I would've said it's either a tractor or an excavator but no, I had to search through all the Technic kits to find the manual online) apart to build it the other way out of curiosity, annoyingly the proper instructions for that model require two parts the primary build doesn't use but you can quite easily work around it with parts it does use. I didn't like it, though, so I rebuilt it back into the primary build... But I have like five parts left over, and I have no idea how. I'm beginning to suspect I've trolled myself by sticking some of the spare parts on for the lols when I first built this ten years ago.

Bit sad this year. Usually I buy a set and build it up on Christmas Day. The Poe X-Wing took me about 12 hours straight through (there may have been some alcohol involved in that extended runtime). Unfortunately I haven't found a set I really like for this year. My Wall-E and Ecto-1 are currently disassembled after a house move, so it may just be those again (if I can find somewhere to display them afterwards).

The Death Star is the dream but I just can't do it.

@Fezzik I've been dropping so many hints about Optimus Prime, can't really justify buying it for myself though. I too have been reassembling old kits taken apart for a move (about three years ago), mainly to check I do definitely still have all the parts so I can "archive" them for my son to build as soon as he's old enough. My siblings are loving seeing the sets for themselves though, my brother bought me an AT-ST years ago which is what kick-started my AFLness and my sister gave me a Lego gift card that I used to buy part of the UCS Slave 1 so they're partly responsible for the ton of plastic currently sitting on my desk.

I also bought my son his first set, but it's Duplo, it's a collection of bath toys. Again, needed to round an Amazon order up to £20 to get free shipping.

Lastly, I just remembered I bought a set of instructions for an MGS4 Gekko that I never actually bought the bricks for... I should do that.

@Fezzik I've been dropping so many hints about Optimus Prime, can't really justify buying it for myself though
I'm a nearly 40 year old man - buying it for myself is the ONLY way I can justify getting Lego sets at my age. I can't ask someone else to get it for me!

Did find one set that I do like but it may be too late to get it for Christmas, I'm not sure I dare venture into Smyths this late in December :crazy:

I'm a nearly 40 year old man - buying it for myself is the ONLY way I can justify getting Lego sets at my age. I can't ask someone else to get it for me!
I mean, I'm 35! Thing is I'm not buying anyone presents other than for my son so buying myself a £160 Lego set sends the wrong kind of message, hence the hints - I doubt anyone would buy me anything when I've told my family not to expect anything, but who knows, they might... They won't though. But they could. But they won't.

Doesn't matter anyway, I've got the UCS Slave 1 to build next, that's a present in itself even though I've already built it once.

I mean, I'm 35! Thing is I'm not buying anyone presents other than for my son so buying myself a £160 Lego set sends the wrong kind of message....
I guess it depends on why you're not giving presents for Christmas - if it's a financial reason, then yeah I can absolutely understand your reticence; however, if it's for moral reasons or you believe that Christmas is becoming too commercial then stuff it, you can do what you like!

I'm 41 and still happy to buy myself Lego (or Lego-like) kits for myself - I've got a Pagani Huayra on the way. I guess I'm lucky I don't have children to have that reason.

My sister got me the Death Star trench run diorama, I love it! She made me open it on Christmas Eve and instead of going to bed at a sensible time I built it and went up at about 2 in the morning - I haven't voluntarily stayed up past 11 since my son was born. Fun build, particularly because each bag was pretty small so it felt like it'd be really quick, but when almost all the parts are the same colour and they're all tiny it actually took a while.

I finally sat down and worked out how Bricklink works to upload the parts list I bought a few years ago to build this:

baaca0eb0e33dc4f9d45910b8c86623f0144cea0fe0c2093c546d17d535752eb

Except not this colour because this requires 14 parts that are extremely rare that cost at least £15 each, the parts for the grey version cost £35. Apparently it's hard to balance so I'm thinking once I've built it I'll see if there are opportunities to either build a stand for it or a small diorama/stand or something. I would of course need to replay MGS4 for inspiration for that, though, and my PS3 is very well buried right now.

I also ordered the two parts I found missing from my multitude of Star Wars sets - I was missing a 1x1 "sand blue" tile from my X-Wing and a 3 stud length grey rod from the Hoth gun emplacement that came with the 20th anniversary Snowspeeder. The model is visually fine without it, it's just a bit of reinforcement, but for the extra £0.10 I figured why not.

Last edited:
I think I want the Paul Walker Skyline set, but I'll wait a while before I swoop.

In other news, I've made a very dangerous discovery - Bricklink lets you pretty much automatically break any Lego set down into the individual pieces to put onto a shopping list. That means this gorgeous Nebulon-B Frigate, a 2020 San Diego Comic-Con exclusive (set no. 77904), is on its way to me, minus the sticker, as four envelopes of used bricks via four Bricklink sellers:

77904-1.png

For about 60 quid rather than 150 (which is crazy money for a model of this size - 60's not cheap either but it was cheap enough for me, also the expensive ones are BNIB and sealed, it would feel wrong opening a collectors' item like that just to build it). As I'm really only in it for the building and maybe a little bit for collecting (I am admittedly fighting the urge to become an actual collector because that'll get really expensive) I don't care that it won't have the box, manual or sticker and that the bricks will be used, I've always loved this design.

You can also buy used sets pretty cheap, I've got my eye on so many Microfighters, a Y-Wing and B-Wing, the T-16 Skyhopper from a few years back and a few from the Planets series. I also really want a Bespin Cloud Car, I thought there was one at a decent size but I can't find it now. I'm also really enjoying looking back at 20+ years of Lego Star Wars, some of the old designs are so cute!

Last edited:
I think I want the Paul Walker Skyline set, but I'll wait a while before I swoop.

In other news, I've made a very dangerous discovery - Bricklink lets you pretty much automatically break any Lego set down into the individual pieces to put onto a shopping list. That means this gorgeous Nebulon-B Frigate, a 2020 San Diego Comic-Con exclusive (set no. 77904), is on its way to me, minus the sticker, as four envelopes of used bricks via four Bricklink sellers:

77904-1.png

For about 60 quid rather than 150 (which is crazy money for a model of this size - 60's not cheap either but it was cheap enough for me, also the expensive ones are BNIB and sealed, it would feel wrong opening a collectors' item like that just to build it). As I'm really only in it for the building and maybe a little bit for collecting (I am admittedly fighting the urge to become an actual collector because that'll get really expensive) I don't care that it won't have the box, manual or sticker and that the bricks will be used, I've always loved this design.

You can also buy used sets pretty cheap, I've got my eye on so many Microfighters, a Y-Wing and B-Wing, the T-16 Skyhopper from a few years back and a few from the Planets series. I also really want a Bespin Cloud Car, I thought there was one at a decent size but I can't find it now. I'm also really enjoying looking back at 20+ years of Lego Star Wars, some of the old designs are so cute!
Yeah moc's and bricklink are a moneypit. Good fun though.

90522621fc340e5ebe85cc8c313f7e6d6e9e9a16.jpeg

7e17f1991cc4533c931894535fefd87d36db0743.jpeg

The last envelope of bricks I needed to start on the Gekko arrived today so I spent a bit of time before starting work building what I guess would be the groin/arse and left hip, annoyingly I didn't trust my gut that the brick list provided was wrong and now I have to order some dark bluish grey elements that the parts list had in gold (which would've matched the expensive flat dark earth colour scheme but not so much the cheaper grey) but I'll finish the model as is and swap them out later.
I also really want a Bespin Cloud Car, I thought there was one at a decent size but I can't find it now.
I remembered where I'd seen it, it's in the Cloud City set. I went through the instructions for that set to make a parts list for just the car, it's only 210 bricks though so very small.

Edit:

PXL_20230105_160010698.jpg
IMG-20230105-WA0008.jpeg

It's done! It's extremely fragile though, lots of it is only held together with one or two studs, and it's very unstable so I think I will make a mount for it. Also one brick was missing, a 1x2x3 in light blueish grey, because it doesn't exist! I've ordered a 1x2 and a 1x2x2 to replace it along with different colours for the gold pieces (which I'm starting to like as-is). I'm going to think about how to change it to add different guns and maybe some dwarf Gekkos to hang off the back.

Last edited:
Apologies in advance for the bad photos but:

16733534245621241715307999763990.jpg

She's finished! My Unlimited Edition Nebulon-B Frigate. It's an excellent model for a desk display and full of little details. Thinking of getting a funny sticker made for the plate at the bottom of the base to make it clear this isn't one of the actual limited edition run. This was probably one of my favourite builds, this bit had me wondering how exactly I'd end up with something resembling the box art:

PXL_20230110_111336830.jpg

And I thought the stand would be the last bit to make so I was confused when I still had a considerable number of pieces left once it was on the stand, then there was another layer of fine greebling to do.

1673353825032444398327439124257.jpg

Absolutely love it.

I also got this guy:
16733539182476217095178319491899.jpg

I'm glad I built this first, it was fun too but not even close to the frigate.

Last night I had a dream about building a functioning Japanese-style car stacker with a turntable out of Technic, for all the cars I don't have (I've got like three Speed Champions sets and that's it), might have to look into how those work exactly because believe it or not, my dream was light on details.

Found some older sets at a local Lego shop including Model Team sets 5541 Blue Fury and 5581 Magic Flash. The Blue Fury I had as a kid, but the set I have is well used and missing pieces. Magic Flash my brother always wanted as a kid, so I figured I'd surprise him nearly 30 years later. :lol:

Behind those are two random, small, sealed sets: 8207 Dune Duster and 5928 Bi-Wing Baron.

52621380138_b5fe0101f9_b.jpg

I've decided my Lego collection needs more colour so I've got my eye on some older Creator sets (and the two current ones that are vehicles) - just got a 31126 Supersonic Jet and have got a 7292 Propeller Adventures and 31042 Super Soarer to go with my old 6912 Super Soarer, clearly I've got a thing for planes at the moment but I've got cars, bikes, boats and trucks on the list too. 71 sets on the want list in total, doubt I'll buy them all... I've only got 27 sets as it is.

@SPhilli911 speaking of surprising a sibling, I'm thinking of building a 1774 Lego System "Aircraft" that my sister had when we were kids, I smashed it (I was 5) and she brings it up every time we talk about Lego. There are only 7 sets on Bricklink and none are in the UK so I'll have to price it up as a parted out build. Not sure why I haven't yet. That hot rod is so nice! Guess I'm off to look at Model Team sets now.

I've decided my Lego collection needs more colour so I've got my eye on some older Creator sets (and the two current ones that are vehicles) - just got a 31126 Supersonic Jet and have got a 7292 Propeller Adventures and 31042 Super Soarer to go with my old 6912 Super Soarer, clearly I've got a thing for planes at the moment but I've got cars, bikes, boats and trucks on the list too. 71 sets on the want list in total, doubt I'll buy them all... I've only got 27 sets as it is.

@SPhilli911 speaking of surprising a sibling, I'm thinking of building a 1774 Lego System "Aircraft" that my sister had when we were kids, I smashed it (I was 5) and she brings it up every time we talk about Lego. There are only 7 sets on Bricklink and none are in the UK so I'll have to price it up as a parted out build. Not sure why I haven't yet. That hot rod is so nice! Guess I'm off to look at Model Team sets now.
That aircraft set, 1774, looks like it wouldn't be too expensive to get parted out if you can't find an actual set and it will be a nice gift I am sure. My brother lost it when I gave him the Model Team van. If you do go down the road of getting some Model Team sets, it can get costly (as with any old Lego). There are more I'd like in the theme, but don't like to risk buying 30 year old sets sight unseen online and prefer to seek them out at local shops.

Found some older sets at a local Lego shop including Model Team sets 5541 Blue Fury and 5581 Magic Flash. The Blue Fury I had as a kid, but the set I have is well used and missing pieces. Magic Flash my brother always wanted as a kid, so I figured I'd surprise him nearly 30 years later. :lol:

Behind those are two random, small, sealed sets: 8207 Dune Duster and 5928 Bi-Wing Baron.

52621380138_b5fe0101f9_b.jpg
I think 8207 was my first ever Technic set. I got it when I was 9 or 10 I think. It was like $10 back then. I'm sure I still have it around somewhere.

Back