Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,396 comments
I just looked it up, and I'm pleasantly surprised I got the original McLaren set and not the revised one with updated stickers.
I'm very surprised you got the original one, I thought they were quick to update the stickers. It looks far better with the brand logos even if it's not totally accurate to the real car/tires.

That's a set I may pick up myself soon.

It'd been a while but since having a kid I haven't had much spare time or cash for Lego! I got my girlfriend the orchid for her birthday as she said she loved how it looked and she'd never built a Lego set before, then I got jealous so when I was out buying baby formula the day after - Father's day, as it happened - I saw the Speed Champions Countach at a very slight discount (£15 instead of £18) and figured what the hell. It's so dangerous though because as soon as I was done building it I started looking at other new sets, and the weekend after we went to a shopping centre I hadn't been to for years that has a Lego store... Managed to stay strong though, by staying the hell away from it.

Oh and I've apparently lost all my old Star Wars sets! I took them all apart, bagged them in Ziploc bags and stored them nicely in a cardboard box with the manuals but that box has vanished, I had the UCS Slave One, Luke's Landspeeder, an X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Yoda's fighter... No idea where they are. Hopefully they didn't get thrown away (the thought makes me cringe) though and will show up when my son is old enough to enjoy them without trying to choke himself to death on a Darth Vader minifig.

Last edited:
Oh and I've apparently lost all my old Star Wars sets! I took them all apart, bagged them in Ziploc bags and stored them nicely in a cardboard box with the manuals but that box has vanished, I had the UCS Slave One, Luke's Landspeeder, an X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Yoda's fighter... No idea where they are. Hopefully they didn't get thrown away (the thought makes me cringe) though and will show up when my son is old enough to enjoy them without trying to choke himself to death on a Darth Vader minifig.
Hopefully the sets turn up so you can share them with your son, because those would be cherished memories for both of you.

Getting my first set from my dad as a kid (an Ice Planet set) is precisely why I am still into Lego now. Fortunately, I got to share that passion with my dad for a little while later in life.

It's taken a mere 28 years...

IMG_20220716_183450.jpg

Instructions and building techniques have come a long way in that time, but the functionality of this thing is looking incredible, better than any supercar set since. Can't wait to finish it.

Roo

View attachment 1173246

Instructions and building techniques have come a long way in that time, but the functionality of this thing is looking incredible, better than any supercar set since. Can't wait to finish it.
Ah, the OG Super Car. What every Technic Lego car is built upon <3

Jerome

Roo

Ah yes, the good ol' Super Car. The memories...
This is from a time when LEGO still built great Technic models with relevant functions and not the overpriced, sticker and wrong color connector plaqued junk they're shoving down our throats today.
Looking at you 42141 McLaren F1 car and 42125 Ferrari 488 GTE... :crazy:

I have always wanted that super car set growing up, ended up with the 8448 Super Street Sensation instead (which was cool, still) but keep an eye on the 8880 Super Car. Many are very expensive with dirty pieces.

Last edited:
Starting the N64 build. I did the plans like a year ago which makes it tough to recall some of the details for the controller. So I started out with the console first. My Bricklink order is missing a few pieces here and there, so it's gonna take a few weeks I bet before I finish.

N64.JPG

Jerome

Last edited:
A UCS Razorcrest is rumored for Oct 2022. I guess I will sell my current one to make room for it's over 6,000 pieces and will be $550 with the price hikes : /

Jerome

A UCS Razorcrest is rumored for Oct 2022. I guess I will sell my current one to make room for it's over 6,000 pieces and will be $550 with the price hikes : /

Jerome
I like the Razor Crest, and have the current one, but I don't like it that much.

20220723_105253.jpg
20220723_131331.jpg
20220723_131936.jpg
20220723_131415.jpg
received_556575402831633.jpeg
20220723_133905.jpg

I originally expected the F1 car to be 1:10 scale, but it turns out it's actually 1:8. It's huge. It's longer than the Lamborghini Sian.

It's a very impressive looking model, and overall I really like it a lot, but I do have a few complaints:

- The biggest complaint I have is regarding the steering. The steering wheel gear and the main steering shaft gears are directly meshed, which means that when the wheels are straight the steering wheel isn't straight. They should have found a way to solve this problem either by lowering the rack one height unit and inserted a gear in between the main shaft and the steering wheel, or raising the rack one height unit and connected the steering directly to the main shaft. It looks like there should be enough space to do either if they really tried.

- My second biggest complaint is that they used heavily treaded tires. It would have looked a lot better with slicks, or even the less grooved kind of sports car tires. Though the tires used on the model do have a rounder sidewall that looks more like an F1 tire, and I appreciate that they did use the blue sidewall color to mark it as a wet tire. But I think they should have taken this opportunity to revise the mold to make a slick. It shouldn't cost that much to keep the same overall shape but remove the tread. They probably would still have uses for it in the future, and I wouldn't have minded paying a little more for such a huge improvement in the end product.

- Third complaint is that the orange on the stickers don't match the orange of the Lego elements. The stickers are slightly darker. It's not that noticeable from a distance, but quite noticeable close up. It's not a huge deal, but a little annoying.

- Fourth complaint is that there is no transmission. I admit this one is a minor quibble, as it's mostly a display model, and it was probably wise to omit it to keep the price of the set down. But there is a gaping void under the engine of about 3 height units capable of accepting a simple maybe 2 or 3 speed transmission. But then it would be hard to fit any type of mechanism for a shifter in the tight cockpit. But it would have been cool if they found a way to do it.

As a display model it looks amazing overall, and I love looking at it. I think the price is very reasonable considering the number of pieces the set is, that it's officially licensed by McLaren, and how great it looks. One thing I noticed about this model that I really appreciated is that the shapes are all created by rigid elements, with none of that flex axle bs that's so common on Technic models. So it actually looks substantial without that weird wire frame look.

Last edited:
For those of you who do not have a lot of space (like myself) to display Lego, what do you do: store them, sell them or limit buying like some kind of person with self control? 🤣

A friend of mine seems to think it is odd that I build a set only to disassemble it for storage not long after. Some of my sets are permanently displayed, but most are in storage and I am not too interested in selling.

For those of you who do not have a lot of space (like myself) to display Lego, what do you do: store them, sell them or limit buying like some kind of person with self control? 🤣

A friend of mine seems to think it is odd that I build a set only to disassemble it for storage not long after. Some of my sets are permanently displayed, but most are in storage and I am not too interested in selling.
I used to do this years ago but not anymore because I want to keep them displayed. At the moment I have enough room for all my sets but that may change pretty soon if I get the Camaro.

Last edited:
I have lots of shelving and when we were looking at our next house, I had to have an office 'big enough' for my shelving, and schtuff. I initially had my legos sitting in a closet, unopened at our old house. But I couldn't take it anymore, I started to build them all one by one and about 3/4 months later I finished, then another 2 months later we found this house :banghead:

So I had to rent a van just to lay all my sets in and ask to move into my office a day early so I could transport all of them, built. Two trips and lots of sweat, but they made it! So now I just have the boxes flattened and in storage (I probably have at least a grand in lego boxes).

But I am running out of space, when the new Razorcrest arrives, I'll likely have to pack up the Assault On Hoth set and throw it in storage. I'm also finishing up my N64 build and am on the fence about building a Gamecube 🤷‍♂️

I can see in the future, I'll have X amount of space, so I'll just have my favorite sets displayed and the rest in storage.

N64 is nearly there, I had to order some Dark Bluish Grey (aka Dark Stone) paint online; we'll see how that goes, after priming the pieces, it may be too thick(?)

1.JPG

Jerome

That's what I will do too at some point, keep my favorite sets displayed and the rest in storage. I'm at 250+ sets currently and growing. Sometimes I forget which sets I even have and would love to move to a place to display them all.

The N64 looks great so far! Also makes me regret that I sold all of my Zelda games including that gold Ocarina.

Last edited:
Hoping they make more Horizon sets, maybe a Stormbird or Thunderjaw, and make them gigantic. :cool:

In other news, my August haul is on the way. Sorta went nuts and got the new castle even though I told myself over and over that I would not. Also, found a neat pirate poster and a cheap poster frame. Don't own many classic sets from this theme but I liked it.

20220804_075512.jpg

The latest in our series of "Roo builds Technic sets he couldn't afford as a child": 8448.

IMG_20220729_174222.jpg

I forgot to take photos of it once complete, but I went with the convertible body, so just look at the box...

Whilst I like and will build the more recent supercars, I still prefer the suggestion of a body that leaves the mechanicals exposed rather than putting a beautiful gearbox together and burying it in panels.

Next up, 42130, BMW M 1000 RR Test Livery edition:

IMG_20220814_184902.jpg

IMG_20220814_184755.jpg

It's the regular bike with most of the stickers left off because I thought the livery and carbon fibre looked pants, I couldn't be bothered with 79 stickers, and I just like plain race liveries. I'm still undecided whether it looks particularly good as a colour scheme without the stickers, but it's less bad than the real livery imo.

Either way, it's a great build. It's rated as 18+ as it's quite complex, which is true, but I didn't find the instructions any harder than 8880 (age range 11-16). You need to be paying attention for both.

Starting on the Chiron next.

Oh man, I had 8448 Street Sensation as a kid, but sold a long time ago, sadly.
The BMW bike looks good without the livery, actually, kinda wish I did that too. 👍

Finished the new castle set. Other than a few small sets in the theme, I never had a castle as a kid, but this new one was too cool to pass up, even if some might say it's too expensive. Fun to build and pretty detailed, highly protected against rogue Mustangs.

20220813_184658.jpg

Last edited:
Latest builds:

IMG_20220907_135333.jpg

The Chiron is the standard modern supercar build, where you make some wonderful mechanisms and then hide them all in panels.

Looking around Rebrickable, I came across a B model for the Chiron, a 1/12 scale race truck made by a French designer called Nico71. Here's his video:

After seeing that I bought a second hand, built Chiron off eBay that was missing a couple of parts, and ordered the few missing bits.

It uses about 60% of the parts of the Chiron. Like the MOC Stratos B model of the 42056 Porsche, it doesn't feel quite as solid as a designed-by-Lego product, but it's not far off and considering the limitations of only using parts from 1 set, I think it's spectacular. The only change I made was using black panels for the mirrors rather than the tan parts Nico used, and replaced some of the stickered parts partly to make up the minimum order value on a Bricklink shop but mainly because the original builder couldn't put stickers on straight.

The grey tensegrity scuplture was another Rebrickable find:

I'd not heard of tensegrity before and it blew my tiny mind the first time I saw it. I had some of the common parts but it was easier just to order the whole lot from another Bricklink shop. I changed the top part slightly based on what the shop had in stock.

The little red and white widget is a Technic disassembly tool, based on one I found online (scroll down the link for gifs of it in action) and used to take apart the more stubbon parts of the eBayed Chiron.

IMG_20220907_142850.jpg

Back