Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,383 comments
My brother got me the VW T1 Camper Van for my birthday earlier in February. I never really cared for VW myself, but I've always liked the detail of the camper van. Looking forward to building that, but apparently Lego is releasing a new Creator set. For the Fiat 500. $90 USD.

original-fiat-500-by-lego.jpg

Finally ordered the Lego Technic Land Rover Defender. Helps to have Lego kits on a backlog for something to do while being stuck at home, although...I'm still working during all this time.

Also, Lego is doing the F&F Charger.
42111-bi-04-1585342904.jpg

42111-back-01-1585342938.jpg

42111-back-02-1585342905.jpg

lego-dodge-charger-110-1585344663.jpg

Self Isolation blues got the better of my wallet and I Amazon'd this:

D852CE89-9391-45BE-9B31-FE6D5A7602AD.jpeg

After seeing the initial press shots I was on the fence about buying it, but I'm glad I did.

Flared wheel arches aside, it's actually a great model in the flesh. Naturally the quattro's angular shape lends itself well to Lego and compared to the GT-R that I desperately wanted to love, this requires almost no squinting at all to see what car it's supposed to be.

Save for a couple of vents at the rear, this has got to be the first Speed Champions build where the stickers are soley used for the livery, you could easily leave them in the box and the end result wouldn't suffer all that much.

(For the record I hate stickers in general but the ones that come with modern Lego sets are by far some of the worst!)

The result is a very solid feeling model with an almost 80/90's Lego System feel to the finished result (perhaps again due to the angular design and colour palette).

The build lacks any real surprises (unless you count the twin chassis?) and compared to the GT-R and the Senna which were genuinely eye opening at times, wondering which way the build was going to take you, this is much more conventional.

I ended up making two slight modifications to the finished model. The first was to rotate the half studded black tiles at the top of the C pillars so that the roof panel is secured rather than left loose. I recommend this as the fitment of the driver is so snug that his arm pushes against the windscreen causing the roof to not sit flat at times.

2E3777F9-E016-4268-9C35-2BEB91DC98AE.jpeg

The second mod required raiding my spare parts bin (including two tiles from my Creator F40) and was to replace the bright red tail lights with dark tinted grey ones which is one of my favourite features of the real quattro rally cars:

C0BED0B3-6FA1-4D27-9AD7-070427C6380D.jpeg

I did also play about with jacking the ride height up a brick for a more off road appearance, however, it didn't quite have the effect I was looking for and looked more 'monster truck' than 'Rally Sweden'.

Been building a lot of Lego during my forced time indoors, which is real nice. But, I wanted something new so I ordered the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set, which reminded me a lot of the pirate sets I had as a kid. Understandably so, it might be some time before it arrives, though. Thinking of getting the Fiat 500 too.

21322-Pirates-of-Barracuda-Bay-box.jpg

I'm not much of a Star Wars fan but I might get this A-Wing for my brother, recently announced by Lego. Side note, maybe not the best time to order from the company after-all, sets are back-ordered and what not, which is expected given the current climate. I am sure there is a influx of orders from people stuck inside at the same time as there are work shortages for the company itself. I'd love to support my local hobby store but that's impossible.
1586446846-5b079ebd721a24e4382b17ca6c299f67-h_2020.jpg

I started to make a comic book cover mural of Amazing Fantasy 15, the first app of Spider-Man. I'll post my progress back here, you can read about it here.

Jerome

I want that A-Wing!

I am still waiting on the pirate set (posted above) I ordered exactly a month ago today. Ordered directly through Lego, but it's no longer listed on the site and ETA is August to ship. In the meantime I've been building a few old sets to keep busy.

Finally bought the Defender! It's still taking time for me to grow to like the real life new Defender, but I love the Lego kit version. I actually have a bunch of kits waiting to be built, but I feel like there's not much room for them in my apartment. Really wanted to build some during the pandemic, but ever since the start of it all, I've still been working. :indiff:
97252991_10223268334076015_7470606371667312640_o.jpg

I haven't posted in here for a while, but thought i'd share a few pics of a couple of mocs I've done recently.

Looking damn good! Can you do a race version? That would be something I'd buy in a heartbeat if it was a set. :drool:

Man, I love those 8 wide cars and parts. 👍

I put some sticker on my car! (Yes, Agip AND Shell :lol: ) I should really consider asking Agip about sponsoring my creations.

TJZOZAo.jpg

W5vrhgk.jpg

Last edited:
Finished the Defender. If ever a car was designed to be built in Lego, this is it.

During the build, the pistons in the engine went up and down, but now they don't. Don't know what's up and can't be bothered taking it apart to find out why.

During the build, the pistons in the engine went up and down, but now they don't. Don't know what's up and can't be bothered taking it apart to find out why.

The Brickset review suggests that due to the gearbox being so complex, there's too much friction for the pistons to move.

In other words it comes broken from the factory, so just like a real Land Rover.

This would be a fantastic Speed Champions kit.
Thanks man. 👍

Both are awesome but man, you got the NSX spot on. Love it. 👍
Thanks mate. 👍 I don't know that it's spot on, but I am pleased with how close I've got it. :cheers:

Looking damn good! Can you do a race version? That would be something I'd buy in a heartbeat if it was a set.
Man, I love those 8 wide cars and parts. 👍

I put some sticker on my car! (Yes, Agip AND Shell :lol: ) I should really consider asking Agip about sponsoring my creations.
Thanks man! :cheers: I'm not sure I can do a full on race version (JGTC), but I may have to give that a try. Your JGTC race car is looking awesome btw! Love the added colours and the AGIP stickers. :drool:👍

Finished the Defender. If ever a car was designed to be built in Lego, this is it.
Couldn't agree more. 👍 Just wish they'd do an old Defender too.
With regards to the piston issue, I believe there's a fix over on Eurobricks, in a thread dedicated to the Landy set.

Few more pics of recent Speed Champion scale cars:

Porsche 911. It's a bit blocky and it's a bit of a hybrid, as it's 8-wide at the back but 7-wide up front:

Alfa Romeo GTA. It still needs an interior, so it's still a WIP, but it does have some engine detail underneath the bonnet (need to take pics). Only problem is, the bonnet's lift off instead of hinged.

Lancia Fulvia. This one does have a hinged bonnet, but there's not much space for engine detail:

Datsun/Nissan Fairlady 240Z:

Hot rod:

Last edited:
Thanks man. 👍

Thanks mate. 👍 I don't know that it's spot on, but I am pleased with how close I've got it. :cheers:

Thanks man! :cheers: I'm not sure I can do a full on race version (JGTC), but I may have to give that a try. Your JGTC race car is looking awesome btw! Love the added colours and the AGIP stickers. :drool:👍

Couldn't agree more. 👍 Just wish they'd do an old Defender too.
With regards to the piston issue, I believe there's a fix over on Eurobricks, in a thread dedicated to the Landy set.

Few more pics of recent Speed Champion scale cars:

Porsche 911. It's a bit blocky and it's a bit of a hybrid, as it's 8-wide at the back but 7-wide up front:

Alfa Romeo GTA. It still needs an interior, so it's still a WIP, but it does have some engine detail underneath the bonnet (need to take pics). Only problem is, the bonnet's lift off instead of hinged.

Lancia Fulvia. This one does have a hinged bonnet, but there's not much space for engine detail:

Datsun/Nissan Fairlady 240Z:

Hot rod:
I'm going to make some of my own now. Possibly.

I'm going to make some of my own now. Possibly.
The new Speed Champions chassis piece is great for building on. But I think the general consensus in the LEGO community as a whole, is that they prefer 6-wide Speed Champion style MOCS, as they go well with their existing cities, and many have already invested heavily in the old Speed Champions sets.

Another digital WIP. I've worked a bit more on it now and made changes (in real brick), though only the mechanism so far, (will probably take pics of it, when it's a bit more developed).
Digital pics:

I think the general consensus in the LEGO community as a whole, is that they prefer 6-wide Speed Champion style MOCS, as they go well with their existing cities, and many have already invested heavily in the old Speed Champions sets.
But they look really goofy.

Back