Linux masterminds. Get in here.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 239 comments
Yeah, but you already know your way around Linux. I see this as new stuff and thus a challenge. :D

I'll be getting a NAS somewhere in January, and I expect the missus to have said farewell to the Windows machine by then.
The Windows machine will then go Linux too and become my media device in the bedroom.

Here's what I did, and I love it.

TL;DR - all movies ripped to NAS. Linux over the air DVR enables TV shows moved to NAS after recording and stripping commercials. All house computers mount the NAS drive. BTW you can access computer names on your internal network once you set up a domain name in your router and tell your router what MAC address to route to what name.

BTW you can access computer names on your internal network once you set up a domain name in your router and tell your router what MAC address to route to what

There is something in Windows 10 that screws it up. I tried several different things but even Win 10 itself doesn't want to recognize the names. Ip address is instant connection, computer names remain a no go. But that doesn't matter, if all goes well, and the missus keeps her word, I can finally get rid of that horrible OS this weekend.

There is something in Windows 10 that screws it up. I tried several different things but even Win 10 itself doesn't want to recognize the names. Ip address is instant connection, computer names remain a no go. But that doesn't matter, if all goes well, and the missus keeps her word, I can finally get rid of that horrible OS this weekend.

Weird. It shouldn't be up to windows 10. That's handled in your router. Do you have a linux machine on your network? Can you just ping a computer name? For example, in my android phone I have an app that accesses my local network for a wireless IP camera feed. In order to set up the app I just put in the name of the IP camera (which is set up in my router configuration - tied to the camera mac address).

I can also access local computers or the wireless cameras just by sticking //computername in any web browser.

Yup. Linux laptop, trying to access a Windows 10 desktop.

The laptop is named laptop. The desktop... Desktop.
Can't find it.

Also, I tried it with a Windows 7 laptop. That was found instantly by both Linux and Win 10. The other way around however, no go. Win 7 didn't find "desktop" either. No ping either. Ip address again insta success.

And I have searched long and wide in Win 10. Turned everything off that could possibly block it, opened up everything but no Desktop was found.

I gave up because it will be gone soon. And because I hate Win 10. Hate it so much. I have been a Microsofter since 3.1 and never encountered so much Bullcrap and moronic design flaws as in 10.

Blegh.

Yup. Linux laptop, trying to access a Windows 10 desktop.

The laptop is named laptop. The desktop... Desktop.
Can't find it.

Also, I tried it with a Windows 7 laptop. That was found instantly by both Linux and Win 10. The other way around however, no go. Win 7 didn't find "desktop" either. No ping either. Ip address again insta success.

And I have searched long and wide in Win 10. Turned everything off that could possibly block it, opened up everything but no Desktop was found.

I gave up because it will be gone soon. And because I hate Win 10. Hate it so much. I have been a Microsofter since 3.1 and never encountered so much Bullcrap and moronic design flaws as in 10.

Blegh.

Linux should able to ping laptop and desktop by name. If it isn't, something is wrong in the router setup.

Linux should able to ping laptop and desktop by name. If it isn't, something is wrong in the router setup.

It can, as I could ping the Win 7 laptop. The Win 10 desktop just doesn't respond to its name. I really suspect it has something to do with Win 10, it's an update and not a fresh install.

I've checked with my phone just now.

Laptop pings. Laptop IP pings.
Desktop doesn't ping. Desktop IP pings.

Edit

A quick Google tells me I'm not the only one with that problem, but the first solutions I saw were things I already checked.

I say it's a Win 10 quirk!

Last edited:
I want to make it so my laptop doesn't hibernate when I close the lid, and I can't figure out how to do it. I see no settings that change it, and when I found out about a file (logind.conf) I could supposedly edit (though the site applied to a different distribution), it was a read only file.

I want to make it so my laptop doesn't hibernate when I close the lid, and I can't figure out how to do it. I see no settings that change it, and when I found out about a file (logind.conf) I could supposedly edit (though the site applied to a different distribution), it was a read only file.

Open the file as root/administrator.

Have a lookie.

If you're going to edit a config file as root, it's an excellent idea to make a backup copy first. For instance:
sudo cp -a logind.conf logind.conf.orig
That way if you accidentally hose something it's easy to recover and try again.

If you're going to edit a config file as root, it's an excellent idea to make a backup copy first. For instance:
sudo cp -a logind.conf logind.conf.orig
That way if you accidentally hose something it's easy to recover and try again.

Live a little! No fear! No backup!

Live a little! No fear! No backup!
If anything goes wrong, I'm prepared to reinstall the system.

Also, I did the command line tinkering mentioned and set the settings how I wanted, but it didn't work. I'm not using Ubuntu proper (I'm using a derivative of it), but I don't know if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
If anything goes wrong, I'm prepared to reinstall the system.

Also, I did the command line tinkering mentioned and set the settings how I wanted, but it didn't work. I'm not using Ubuntu proper (I'm using a derivative of it), but I don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm running Ubuntu on two laptops, and there's a GUI setting somewhere in it where you can change the suspend on lid close behavior. I don't remember where, and I don't know if it applies to your package, but in theory there is a check box for this.

I'm running Ubuntu on two laptops, and there's a GUI setting somewhere in it where you can change the suspend on lid close behavior. I don't remember where, and I don't know if it applies to your package, but in theory there is a check box for this.
I'm not seeing it. For the record, I'm running LXLE.

I came across something that gave me a chuckle this morning. Not sure where to put it so I decided to drop it in our general Linux thread here.

I was browsing on Yahoo's news site and noticed one of their "sponsored" articles. Normally I avoid those like the plague but I wanted to see what the scamdeal was with this one. It's an ad for a Windows registry repair tool. Note the part where they say:
Your machine is currently running: Linux
Reimage Repair tool is compatible with your operating system.
So they can fix registry errors on my linux box. Riiiighttt....
ReimagePlus.png

Last edited:
I need help. I want to reinstall LXLE but it's not working, yet Ubuntu does. When I install LXLE, it seems to install fine but when I boot it up, it just takes me to the GRUB terminal. How can I fix this? I downloaded the latest version from the site.

I need help. I want to reinstall LXLE but it's not working, yet Ubuntu does. When I install LXLE, it seems to install fine but when I boot it up, it just takes me to the GRUB terminal. How can I fix this? I downloaded the latest version from the site.

Reinstall the grub. I had the same problem with LE.

I've only done it once but Google provides plenty of answers.

Just search for repair Grub with the linux distribution you have and the answer should pop up.
I've tried it before, it didn't work. But I was using Ubuntu to fix an LXLE GRUB problem. Maybe I'll use LXLE to fix it.

I'm not understanding the problem here. LXLE is a desktop environment, it has nothing to do with Grub. What distribution are you (re)installing LXLE on? Ubuntu, I'm guessing?

I'm not understanding the problem here. LXLE is a desktop environment, it has nothing to do with Grub. What distribution are you (re)installing LXLE on? Ubuntu, I'm guessing?
No, the desktop environment is called LXDE. LXLE is an Ubuntu based distribution that uses LXDE as the default desktop. Since I can't get LXLE (the distribution) to install, I'm sticking with Ubuntu for now. When I try to install LXLE the distribution, it installs fine but when I reboot, it takes me not to the OS but a GRUB terminal and I don't know what to do from there. Ubuntu has not given me that problem. I tried boot repair from a live Ubuntu system but it didn't work.

No, the desktop environment is called LXDE. LXLE is an Ubuntu based distribution that uses LXDE as the default desktop. Since I can't get LXLE (the distribution) to install, I'm sticking with Ubuntu for now. When I try to install LXLE the distribution, it installs fine but when I reboot, it takes me not to the OS but a GRUB terminal and I don't know what to do from there. Ubuntu has not given me that problem. I tried boot repair from a live Ubuntu system but it didn't work.
Ah, sorry, my bad; I was confusing LXLE with LXDE. Now that I think of it, I believe I have it installed on a virtual machine somewhere.

In any case, I'm assuming "grub screen" means a screen that has a command line prompt, something like "grub> ", right? In which case, just type "normal" and it should boot up the OS.

EDIT:
I fired up the LXLE VM; when it boots I get a screen like this:
LXLE-grub.png

If that's what you're getting, just hit the Enter key. Or just wait a few seconds.

Last edited:
Not to be confused - like I did, privately - with Lubuntu, which is another distro with the LXDE desktop.
And LXLE is relative of LuLibun.

Ah, sorry, my bad; I was confusing LXLE with LXDE. Now that I think of it, I believe I have it installed on a virtual machine somewhere.

In any case, I'm assuming "grub screen" means a screen that has a command line prompt, something like "grub> ", right? In which case, just type "normal" and it should boot up the OS.

EDIT:
I fired up the LXLE VM; when it boots I get a screen like this:View attachment 623529

If that's what you're getting, just hit the Enter key. Or just wait a few seconds.
Yeah, it gives me a command line and not that list you show.

What version do you have? I'll install it in a VM and see what happens.

I believe I'm running version 14.04.4 but I'm not sure; it's kernel version 3.13.0-107.

What version do you have? I'll install it in a VM and see what happens.

I believe I'm running version 14.04.4 but I'm not sure; it's kernel version 3.13.0-107.
The one I was trying to install was 16.04.1 64 bit.

Back