Linux masterminds. Get in here.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 239 comments
Just seen a tutorial on youtube of how to do it, going to switch back to mint and try it, here is the info..

led light.jpg

This got me to doing a little rummaging around, and I checked the man page for xset and found the following:
Code:
       led     The  led  option  controls the keyboard LEDs.  This controls the turning on or
               off of one or all of the LEDs.  It accepts an optional  integer,  a  preceding
               dash(-)  or  an 'on/off' flag.  If no parameter or the 'on' flag is given, all
               LEDs are turned on.  If a preceding dash or the flag 'off' is given, all  LEDs
               are turned off.  If a value between 1 and 32 is given, that LED will be turned
               on or off depending on the existence of a  preceding  dash.   ``xset  led  3''
               would  turn led #3 on.  ``xset -led 3'' would turn it off.  The particular LED
               values may refer to different LEDs on different hardware.   If  the  X  server
               supports  the  XKEYBOARD  (XKB)  extension,  leds may be referenced by the XKB
               indicator name by specifying the `named' keyword and the indicator name.   For
               example, to turn on the Scroll Lock LED:

xset led named "Scroll Lock"

Open a terminal and type "man xset" to see the entire man page.

It would be a good idea to get familiar with the man page system.

man = unix-ese for "manual"

Funny coincidence @Dennisch as misses dog has had nothing but trouble with her laptop running w8, so i'm looking to use hers as a test platform to 'expand my horizon' also when it comes to alternative OS'es.

My father can't stop talking about Linux neither (he's a pensioner now so he needs a hobby), so if i can make her laptop run properly and tell my old man it's running linux now i hit three flies in one go :P

I found a tiny snag.

One of my used programs will not install the normal way.
One bright mind has made a step by step install guide. But not quite. And there are no further reactions. So I had to figure it out on my own. Create an executable text file. Add a bunch of text. Find correct paths to folder etc. It took me 1,5 hours to correctly fill in the text file. BUT IT WORKS!

It's like I'm back in the early 90's. I love it.

I found a tiny snag.

One of my used programs will not install the normal way.
One bright mind has made a step by step install guide. But not quite. And there are no further reactions. So I had to figure it out on my own. Create an executable text file. Add a bunch of text. Find correct paths to folder etc. It took me 1,5 hours to correctly fill in the text file. BUT IT WORKS!

It's like I'm back in the early 90's. I love it.

I'm assuming you've been doing some command line stuff.. the down 'n' dirty Real Computing stuff. :)

Sometimes half the fun is discovering things yourself, but there are enormous resources available. The Mint and Ubuntu forums, sites like LinuxQuestions google, and of course right here.

Downloaded Linux Mint cinnanom on a USB, configured the boot menu to disable secure boot and enable CSM which is needed on an ASUS laptop apparently, but when i try to boot from the USB to install Linux i get a black screen with:

"No bootable partition in table"

Help!

There are a number of tools available for creating a bootable USB drive from an .iso file on a windows machine. Besides the one mentioned in the video, two that I've used are Rufus and Universal USB Installer.

You can do it on a linux (or MacOS) machine more easily with a command such as:
sudo dd if=myfile.iso of=/dev/sdc oflag=direct bs=1M
Note: make damn sure /dev/sdc is your usb drive first, else you may be overwriting another drive on your system!

I understand that Linux Mint has its own command, mintstick, for doing this but I know nothing about it

Linux Lite

Downloading it now for my daily use laptop. It's 8 years old now and I figured it might as well be handy to go a bit lighter. 👍

Edit.

Install completed. Remove install media and reboot.

Black screen with a flashing cursor....

Edit2!

Google to the rescue. Repaired the Grub and the next boot was a good boot!

Last edited:
Downloading it now for my daily use laptop. It's 8 years old now and I figured it might as well be handy to go a bit lighter. 👍

Edit.

Install completed. Remove install media and reboot.

Black screen with a flashing cursor....

Edit2!

Google to the rescue. Repaired the Grub and the next boot was a good boot!
Other than the boot problem, let us know what you think of it.

Other than the boot problem, let us know what you think of it.

First thing I did was check the resource usage.
395mb of Ram in idle. :lol:

It absolutely runs like a champ. For everything I can't figure out on my there is a solution to be found.

I love it. My laptop loves it. With Windows it would run at max capacity as soon as a couple of things were running. Haven't encountered that problem yet.

I love it. My laptop loves it. With Windows it would run at max capacity as soon as a couple of things were running. Haven't encountered that problem yet.

I recently added a drive to my "big" PC, I'm running Ubuntu 16-something on it... it's bloody awesome. The only problem is that my Radeon doesn't seem to have a good full-on 3D driver available for it, but that said the only 3D-intensive apps I have are for Windoze anyway. I hardly boot that up at all now :D

I recently added a drive to my "big" PC, I'm running Ubuntu 16-something on it... it's bloody awesome. The only problem is that my Radeon doesn't seem to have a good full-on 3D driver available for it, but that said the only 3D-intensive apps I have are for Windoze anyway. I hardly boot that up at all now :D
ATI doesn't support Linux nearly as well as Nvidia does. That being said, I just use the on-board Intel graphics. Works fine for me; I don't run anything that could really make use of it anyway.

I can't get VirtualBox running. It says I don't have a specific driver installed even though I seem to have it installed. Any suggestions on how to fix?

I can't get VirtualBox running. It says I don't have a specific driver installed even though I seem to have it installed. Any suggestions on how to fix?
Tell us about the machine you're trying to get it to run on. That most importantly includes what version of what OS you're working with.

Also, are you having difficulty getting VirtualBox itself running, or are you having difficulty getting a virtual machine running within VirtualBox?

I'm not an expert in computers, but from my first-hand experience Linux is faster and way more simpler than Windows. Updates appear regularly so you don't have to worry about security running out of date either.

Drawbacks:
  • Some default programmes you get may not work properly at times and you could have issues with compatibility if transferring the same files to another PC running Windows.
  • Sometimes you also have to type code directly in so-called terminal to undertake something, old-school way of dealing with PC that can be annoying if you're a casual user.
  • Playing video games is also quite difficult. Wine emulator supports many games but those that run flawlessly on it are difficult to find.

Conclusion:

Linux is excellent for casual PC users. Music listening, using calculator or notepad for quick checks/notes, internet surfing, e-mail, watching videos (both online or from a disc), file transfer from USB, mobile phones or camera... I can't recall having any problems with these basic operations, at least not in my case.

For slightly advanced operations (Office programmes, photo or video editors, video games, etc.) you may need to tweak some aspects on Linux and look up on forums, but it can be done if you're patient. That is all I can tell about Linux. :)

Snag!

Linux doesn't recognize my Eos Camera. Now I'll have to remove my sd card like a pleb every time I need to transfer photo's. :(

Small bonus though. With all that RAM not being used by pointless background programs, photo processing goes remarkably faster in Linux, compared to Windows 7/10. And we're talking about a 3GB AMD duo core 2.2ghz Laptop. 8 years old.

Small bonus though. With all that RAM not being used by pointless background programs, photo processing goes remarkably faster in Linux, compared to Windows 7/10. And we're talking about a 3GB AMD duo core 2.2ghz Laptop. 8 years old.
Yeah laptop of my better half has been running smooth as silk since i installed it. For home computing on a basic laptop it beats Windows hands down.

Snag!

Linux doesn't recognize my Eos Camera. Now I'll have to remove my sd card like a pleb every time I need to transfer photo's. :(
Likely because your Linux machine doesn't have Canon's special software installed on it. My Linux machines don't see my Canon camera, but then again neither does my Windows laptop.

Back