Linux masterminds. Get in here.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 239 comments
Likely because your Linux machine doesn't have Canon's special software installed on it. My Linux machines don't see my Canon camera, but then again neither does my Windows laptop.

Special software? Do tell, because I did have all on Windows. But that's gone forever.

Special software? Do tell, because I did have all on Windows. But that's gone forever.
My Canon cameras all came with with a CD which included, among other things, downloading software. My laptop doesn't have it installed, and it didn't see the camera I just plugged in this morning. The laptop is running Win7Pro.

Ah. That.

I found this for Linux. Gphoto2
I just discovered that my linux boxen see the camera just fine if I turn the dang thing on, durr. So does the windoze box. I guess I got too used to devices like my GPS and ereaders that auto power on when connected.

In any case I was looking into gphoto2 (and gtkam, the graphical front end for it) and discovered I already have digikam which works as well. Which is fine with me. I use KDE on both my Slackware and Linux Mint machines, and the first time I install a Gnome app it'll pull in the entire Gnome support library. But then again according to "dpkg -l|grep gnome|wc -l" I already have twenty gnome-something-or-others installed.

Another score for Linux. :lol:

I was searching for the IP adress of my AP, I couldn't remember it anymore... but anyhew, doing an Arp scan in Windows* resulted in no AP IP adress. Doing a scan in Linux, Great Success! It's x.12 :lol:

*Still need to convert the new PC parts into the old housing, waiting for the missus to backup all her files.

Bastards of Disney coded all their DVD's so they don't play on Linux it seems. Menu loads but when selecting the language it doesn't play.

I found the following lines i need to enter in the terminal to unlock them:

"sudo apt-get install libdvdread4"

That one works, but then i need to enter:
"sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh"

And it says 'command not found'. Anyone has experience with this?

When you enter that command it auto installs no? Or what do you mean exactly.

/usr/share/doc/

That part might be different on your computer.

What you can do is search for the libdvdread4 folder and open the terminal there, and then use the install-css command there.

Edit

I just fired up my laptop to see if mine could do it, but I already have it installed, and the install-css command isn't there. I think you're missing a step. Can you give me the site you're using?

edit Nr2!

I convinced a friend of mine to also start using Linux, since he had a spare laptop (i3, enough Ram etc etc) laying around.
Installed Linux Lite, and that went all fine and dandy. Then he asks me to install OpenOffice instead of Libre. It's the exact same Linux disc as my install, and it took me 2 hours to remove Libre and install Apache. I **** you not. 2 hours.

I start up my laptop (Amd Turion blah blah old crap) today, to see if it's something beyond my knowledge or power, I perform the exact same steps. 2 minutes and Apache is running. :dopey: Still haven't figured out what went wrong yesterday.

And another plus for Linux. My Wireless stays stable and permanently on. Something Windows 10 couldn't achieve, even with my known working Windows 7 (Vista actually) Driver.

Last edited:
Bastards of Disney coded all their DVD's so they don't play on Linux it seems. Menu loads but when selecting the language it doesn't play.

I found the following lines i need to enter in the terminal to unlock them:

"sudo apt-get install libdvdread4"

That one works, but then i need to enter:
"sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh"

And it says 'command not found'. Anyone has experience with this?
As @Dennisch says, the file is probably in a different location.

Try this command:
Code:
locate install-css.sh
If it got installed elsewhere, that'll find it.

My Linux Mint system has the file, in the right place. If necessary I can post it here for you; it's 101 lines.

What flavor of Linux are you using? It's possible the distro maintainers left something out.

Thanks for the help, I'll try and have a look tomorrow. There's info in the error messages too that i better take a look at, because if one thing doesn't install right the next one won't work anyway.

You are all able to play Disney DVD's?

Thanks for the help, I'll try and have a look tomorrow. There's info in the error messages too that i better take a look at, because if one thing doesn't install right the next one won't work anyway.

You are all able to play Disney DVD's?
I don't believe I have a Disney DVD to try, and I do not have a DVD drive in my Mint machine. Sorry.

Okay, now that I'm somewhat familiar with Linux as an OS, my next step will be to try and setup a simple file server, accessible from where I want, just for the fun of it, and if that starts working, I'll give it a go to make a Minecraft server on it, also for the fun. Most of this will be night time stuff for me as during the day I have too many distractions.

Okay, now that I'm somewhat familiar with Linux as an OS, my next step will be to try and setup a simple file server, accessible from where I want, just for the fun of it, and if that starts working, I'll give it a go to make a Minecraft server on it, also for the fun. Most of this will be night time stuff for me as during the day I have too many distractions.
Shouldn't be terribly difficult. Setting up a file server is mostly a matter of installing rpc.nfsd, rpc.mountd and an entry in /etc/exports (man 5 exports). Probably some Samba stuff as well, if you want to share with windoze machines.

I'm not familiar with setting up a minecraft server, but for a minetest server it's just a matter of opening up the port to the outside world on your router. Not even that if you're hosting on your private network only.

As a general rule it's pretty easy to set up most any sort of server on a linux box; unix was after all designed for this purpose. I find it convenient, for instance, to run my own http server instead of wading through tons of bookmarks. Any site I go to regularly eventually ends up getting a link to it. Plus I use it along with MySQL and PHP to maintain my music and ebook collections.

Okay, little summary of the stuff I tried to Linux.

Several p4's, all with 2gb Ram. No problem running Lite.
All my duo core AMD laptops, minimum 2gb Ram, no problem running Lite or Mint.
Celeron 2.53 GHZ with a new HDD and plenty of rams, doesn't like it. Doesn't run hot or anything but it just is too slow. Haven't figured out why yet.

Core2Duo 2600mhz running at 3300~ish with an SSD. Full Beast mode engaged. Absolutely amazing.

And a Celeron 500mhz with 128mb Ram, it will boot Puppy linux. It will idle, but eh.

And all for free. As soon as my funds are back in the black I'm donating some dollars to the developers.

Okay, little summary of the stuff I tried to Linux.

Several p4's, all with 2gb Ram. No problem running Lite.
All my duo core AMD laptops, minimum 2gb Ram, no problem running Lite or Mint.
Celeron 2.53 GHZ with a new HDD and plenty of rams, doesn't like it. Doesn't run hot or anything but it just is too slow. Haven't figured out why yet.

Core2Duo 2600mhz running at 3300~ish with an SSD. Full Beast mode engaged. Absolutely amazing.

And a Celeron 500mhz with 128mb Ram, it will boot Puppy linux. It will idle, but eh.

And all for free. As soon as my funds are back in the black I'm donating some dollars to the developers.
Sounds odd on that 2.53GHz Celeron -- have you been monitoring the load average, and is it on the high side? Could be a graphics issue, too. Or is it something you're really not all that concerned with?

Sounds odd on that 2.53GHz Celeron -- have you been monitoring the load average, and is it on the high side? Could be a graphics issue, too. Or is it something you're really not all that concerned with?

I haven't fully checked everything as it was 3am last night, but the processor and ram were never at full throttle. Driver are all up to date, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the new hdd is perhaps a bit dodgy.

Edit

Thanks to my Linux endeavors, I finally have a use for my 8gb ssd that I once ripped out of a media box. :D

There is always Codeweavers Crossover for Linux. I used that to run quite a few Windows-only programs I heavily relied on such as Exact Audio Copy, foobar2000, ImgBurn and a couple others. My only wish for Linux is that Apple would write a Linux-friendly version of iTunes so I can use it to sync my iPhone and iPod (hence why I have to stay on Windows).

Snag!

Linux doesn't recognize my Eos Camera. Now I'll have to remove my sd card like a pleb every time I need to transfer photo's. :(

@BobK

Screenshot_2016-11-30_00-06-59.png

👍

Good times are coming. Drag the pictures to my SSD, open in Photivo, do a bit of fiddling, and export to Gimp for more shenanigans!

@BobK

View attachment 611094

👍

Good times are coming. Drag the pictures to my SSD, open in Photivo, do a bit of fiddling, and export to Gimp for more shenanigans!
Good that you got that working then! 👍

For what it's worth, however, I recently read that it's faster to remove the SD card and copy from it directly than connecting your camera. My experience doesn't bear that out for a small number of photos (a dozen or so) but I can believe it if you have hundreds to transfer.

By the same token, by the way, copying or moving large numbers of files is much faster from the command line than from the GUI file browser. This applies to files in general, not just files from a camera.

By the same token, by the way, copying or moving large numbers of files is much faster from the command line than from the GUI file browser. This applies to files in general, not just files from a camera.

This I noticed. I was reading the Gphoto manual, and somewhere it gave me the command for moving photos. That list just flew by. But I usually only have a couple of them to move so using the GUI works just fine.

I still can't comprehend how much faster Gimp is in Linux, compared to Windows. On Windows, during startup it would just freeze and not respond for half a minute and then fire up, on Linux it just goes.

I should have done this eons ago.

This I noticed. I was reading the Gphoto manual, and somewhere it gave me the command for moving photos. That list just flew by. But I usually only have a couple of them to move so using the GUI works just fine.

I still can't comprehend how much faster Gimp is in Linux, compared to Windows. On Windows, during startup it would just freeze and not respond for half a minute and then fire up, on Linux it just goes.

I should have done this eons ago.
The reason for the Gimp's slow startup in Windows, as I understand it, is because it queries the system about all available fonts and Windows takes its good sweet time replying. A quick google comes up with a whole lot of purported reasons, not sure I find them all credible. For whatever reason it is what it is, and I'll stick with the linux version thank you very much.

I'll stick with the linux version thank you very much.

I can't wait to use an i5 and 8gb of ram with Gimp. But that means getting off my comfy couch and sit in an office chair behind a desk.

I'm really loving the compatibility of my Xperia Z5 with Linux. All is so fast. Especially unbricking my phone. It's as if they share something. :P

First of all. I hate working with computer names in a network instead of IP's.

I rip all of my movie discs to my desktop, as I have plenty of disc space. When I want to watch a movie in the bedroom, I fire up the PS3 and go. Every once in a while a movie triggers the Cineavia bullcrap on the PS3 and until not too long ago there was a way to get around it. Not anymore. Stupid Sony. I bought the goddamn movie. Being the nerd that I am, I figured, I grab my laptop and stream it through that. Go to the desktop, set my movie hdd on share, go upstairs with the laptop, and use this site to guide me through Setting up a Windows share in Linux*.

After 45 minutes of white knuckling in the bedroom (the gf** has been snoring away for 20 minutes already) still nothing.
She wakes up and tells me to go downstairs as I start to swear.

Go downstairs, give the whole "computer names" thing a swift kick and just use the IP. Still nothing. Restart Windows pc. Moment of success. Set all share setting back to normal, reboot again, set share setting again, reboot. FINALLY a connection.
Reboot laptop. No more files in the folder. Derp. Let's Google for a permanent solution. Wiki Ubuntu to the rescue. ***

great-success.jpg

Fire up VLC, start the movie. Laptop can't handle a ripped bluray. :indiff:

*Having Linux Lite sure has its limitations, every other "special" handling requires an install as it isn't there in Lite. (what's in a name?)

** I'm going to gently but persuasive force her to get on with getting all of her important files collected and moved to the Linux Desktop, as I am waaaaaaaaaaaay past the point of being done with Windows 10.

***I forgot to add the /folder to the share thus the desktop of my laptop was filled with all the files in the share.

(use this post for having a Linux machine access a folder on a windows machine)

I wouldn't bother trying to access a Windows share from a linux box, or actually from anything other than another windoze machine. Once you get it working, Microsoft changes something and it doesn't work any more. My solution is to put a nas box on the network and use that for file storage such as videos, pics and music.

And ebooks, iso images, etc etc, but that's just me.

I wouldn't bother trying to access a Windows share from a linux box, or actually from anything other than another windoze machine. Once you get it working, Microsoft changes something and it doesn't work any more. My solution is to put a nas box on the network and use that for file storage such as videos, pics and music.

And ebooks, iso images, etc etc, but that's just me.

Yeah, but you already know your way around Linux. I see this as new stuff and thus a challenge. :D

I'll be getting a NAS somewhere in January, and I expect the missus to have said farewell to the Windows machine by then.
The Windows machine will then go Linux too and become my media device in the bedroom.

Back