Lister Takes to Twitter to Tease Us With its Next New Car

Wonder how it'll look like.
How-To-Train-your-Dragon-2-image-how-to-train-your-dragon-2-36215000-1235-670.png

The name Thunder is clearly a play off Storm. Other than appearing to be based on the F-Type or at least looking like one I don't know.

Electric F-Type? It's a wild thought.

Note - the Lister Knobbly was not based on the Jaguar D Type. The D type used a monocoque tub, but the Lister Knobbly had a tubular steel frame and different suspension design - it used a Jaguar D type engine.

Another Manufacturer engine I've seen used in the Knobbly was from Chevy. Seen a couple. 1 at least is a recreation though. But it races in the masters historic's so it has to meet certain requirements. They were and are very fast. They usually place in the top 5 with either engine installed.

15032658_1878313812390533_6696599368578418717_n.jpg

1989 Recreation with Chevy power.

21077531_2023807767841136_4931390018558880367_n.jpg

1959 Knobbly with Chevy power.

12507219_1745036212384961_1962846306940613346_n.jpg

And a pair of storms

Last edited:
Before they made the Storm (which, like the Aston DB7 was loosely XJS based) they made the Lister Le Mans which was a heavily modified but still recognisable XJS V12. By volume, they have a greater history of being a Jaguar tuner then they do as being a manufacturer of their own creations.

Before they made the Storm (which, like the Aston DB7 was loosely XJS based) they made the Lister Le Mans which was a heavily modified but still recognisable XJS V12. By volume, they have a greater history of being a Jaguar tuner then they do as being a manufacturer of their own creations.

Yeah they didn't make many cars in the 50's. Or at all really. I expect less then 200 of all types throughout the years. I think back in the 50's they should've followed Cooper's example. Making formula cars and sportscars. Even if it was just an F2 car. But maybe it just wasn't possible.

New car I expect will be an F-type with a power/suspension upgrade. Styling though not sure. Later Listers were abit wild. Neither the XJS LM or Storm were lookers imo. They were also expensive. Think the XJS LM funded the Storm?

This right here is all you need for the thread to basically understand why they did this. Essentially they're getting back to what made them what they were and so unlike certain other manufactures coming back from the dead (looking at you TVR), this wasn't to be the same but that's not a bad thing.

The Thunder will be F-Type based only 99 will be made have top speed of 208mph, 0-62mph in 3.2 sec and have 666bhp.
lister-thunder-1.jpg
dp50isfwaaaj7yx.jpg
screen-shot-2017-12-01-at-10.56.58.jpg

Lister Cars has confirmed to Autocar that it will produce 99 examples of the Thunder, a high-performance Jaguar F-Type-based sports car that will be revealed in January.

The Cambridge-based company, which is famous for its Le Mans-racing Jaguar ‘Knobbly’ D-Types of the 1950s, has extensively rebuilt the Jaguar’s supercharged 5.0-litre V8 so it produces 666bhp.

Rory McDonnell, head of sales and marketing at Lister, said the car is capable of accelerating from 0-62mph in 3.2sec and a will have a top speed of 208mph. This comfortably beats the quickest series F-Type on sale, the SVR, which has 567bhp and completes the 0-62mph sprint in 3.7sec.

The Thunder's modifications include a new suspension setup to enhance its agility and a flashes of Lister green paint on its exterior. McDonnell confirmed that the car will also get a more luxurious interior with Nappa leather-wrapped seats.
AutoCar

Last edited:
Yeah they didn't make many cars in the 50's. Or at all really. I expect less then 200 of all types throughout the years. I think back in the 50's they should've followed Cooper's example. Making formula cars and sportscars. Even if it was just an F2 car. But maybe it just wasn't possible.

Brian Lister was deeply affected by the death of his star driver Archie Scott Brown in 1958 and the deaths of other drivers which led him to switch to the production of packaging machinery.

As you have said some Lister cars used Chevrolet V8's, earlier models also used engines from MG, Bristol and Maserati. The Lister Costin of 1959 was designed for Chevrolet power, but some use the Jaguar straight six.

666? Why not 660 or 670? Surely the latter couldn't have been that difficult to achieve. I personally don't have any religious hangups over the number, it just seems like they're trying to be edgy and it's pathetic.

666? Why not 660 or 670? Surely the latter couldn't have been that difficult to achieve. I personally don't have any religious hangups over the number, it just seems like they're trying to be edgy and it's pathetic.
It's just 675PS - 100 more than the XJR575 - converted to proper horsepower from faux-metric nonsense.

This thread makes me want to point my finger at some RUF car and say "that thing looks like a Porsche".
(needless to say I'd feel myself very stupid after saying that)

By the way, wasn't Thunder originally going to be called LeMans II? That name would make perfect sense for a tuned Jaguar.

I honestly had no idea the Storm was a 4 seater, you learn something new every day.
It's also front-engined, although its front's shape does its best to make you think otherwise.

Regarding the name? I'm not sure I get the connection otherwise.
Yep - Lightning McQueen calls Chick Hicks "Thunder", because thunder always comes after lightning.

Back