Live Track Weather?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dessy182
  • 84 comments
  • 6,700 views
Messages
896
Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
Messages
GTP_Dessy
Now that it has been confirmed that there will be day/night and variable weather for all courses in the game, live track weather must be a very strong possibility for the final game?

Live weather basically means that a track would simulate the weather at it's real life counterpart at any given time - obviously assuming you are always signed into the PSN so the game can get the information it needs online.

The only issues I see are that this can not happen in Gran Turismo mode, as then you could end up playing a lot of your races at night if you only get to play the game late - so I think in arcade mode it should be possible to select any track at anytime and turn this feature on. The only other problem would be extreme weather like snow or a monsoon.

It doesn't have to be super accurate, but it would be nice to race around the Nurburgring as the sun is going down in the wet, knowing that those are the exact conditions at that track at that time.
 
tiger woods 10 has this. but i highly doubt we will see it in gt5

There aren't cycles either. just rain, or dry. night or day.
 
I want to be able to match up the Top Gear Track conditions!

Very wet
Wet
Damp

With Clarkson commentating. I'm asking too much aren't I?
 
Anybody expecting dynamic weather is going to be very disappointed I think. They will most likely have the options of racing at either night or day in dry or wet conditions. Don't expect weather to change as you race. It would be nice but I honestly can't see it happening.
 
I believe Kaz said that they had already developed a dynamic weather system for the game, but the question is if they will include it in GT5. Don't think that means live weather, but this could mean that they chose to include it.
 
Anybody expecting dynamic weather is going to be very disappointed I think. They will most likely have the options of racing at either night or day in dry or wet conditions. Don't expect weather to change as you race. It would be nice but I honestly can't see it happening.

Who knows. They could have been working on day/night and weather cycles for a long time and just never talked about it - after all this game was built from the ground up.

Also a possible hint - in the GT5 demo, in the cockpit view of the normal car there is a clock showing the time at 5:32 - which is obviously the (frozen) time of day at Indy during the demo. It's not much to go on but I've got my fingers crossed for a 24 hour clock :drool:
 
Whatever! I don't care about dynamic weather... just give me a wet track, good tires and a cloudy environment (and of course the physics)
 
Who knows. They could have been working on day/night and weather cycles for a long time and just never talked about it - after all this game was built from the ground up.

Also a possible hint - in the GT5 demo, in the cockpit view of the normal car there is a clock showing the time at 5:32 - which is obviously the (frozen) time of day at Indy during the demo. It's not much to go on but I've got my fingers crossed for a 24 hour clock.

Wouldn't be hard to implement. A few cars in FM3 have clocks reflecting your time zone set on the XBL dashboard, so it should be a piece of cake for Polyphony. 👍
 
I don't see why there couldn't be dynamic weather. There have been and surely will be 24hr races. If there was rain, it would last for the 24 hours because dynamic weather is too hard to implement? There could easily be options to turn weather off, choose desired weather, realistic which would change randomly or even mirror real life conditions " to a reasonable point" like people have mentioned. Static road conditions like the wet tsukuba track in gt4 may as well have been simplified "weather" just without the visual effect of rain coming down. Seems more likely the next step would be to have changing weather atleast for the longer/endurance races and static (wet/dry) conditions for the shorter events.
 
I don't see why there couldn't be dynamic weather. There have been and surely will be 24hr races. If there was rain, it would last for the 24 hours because dynamic weather is too hard to implement? There could easily be options to turn weather off, choose desired weather, realistic which would change randomly or even mirror real life conditions " to a reasonable point" like people have mentioned. Static road conditions like the wet tsukuba track in gt4 may as well have been simplified "weather" just without the visual effect of rain coming down. Seems more likely the next step would be to have changing weather atleast for the longer/endurance races and static (wet/dry) conditions for the shorter events.

Amen.

At the end of the day it doesn't have to have 100's of variations - just a few:
dry, damp, wet, extreme wet - and that is the track conditions sorted. The rain itself could be just visual effects. After that there are just different levels of cloud cover to match the levels of rain or sun. It's really not asking that much considering this is the most successful driving simulator in the world.
 
There is dynamic weather changing, the weather can change during a race, the French had this figured out in November last year, if you doubt me get the JOYPAD November 2009 French edition, they also confirmed tyre temperature and wear as well. :)
 
At the end of the day it doesn't have to have 100's of variations - just a few:
dry, damp, wet, extreme wet - and that is the track conditions sorted.

Yeah I think if there is any issue at all it would be keeping x amount of cars with "visual" aspects of falling rain/wet track from hurting the all important 60fps. As you mention the effect on your car is simply varying the grip levels. To simulate dry to wet it would be a transition of grip loss possibly dependent upon how hard it's raining while a drying track could work the opposite. I would be fine with this level of implementation even if the transition was the same each time, i.e. , rain will fully wet track in x number of laps/or time and when it has stopped the track will remain wet for x number of laps/time. That simplification could work for example.
 
Last edited:
I want to be able to match up the Top Gear Track conditions!

Very wet
Wet
Damp

With Clarkson commentating. I'm asking too much aren't I?


You forgot: Snow & Mildly Moist
 
Whatever! I don't care about dynamic weather... just give me a wet track, good tires and a cloudy environment (and of course the physics)


I hope they're cloudy when wet. If the dry tracks in GT5P reflect light like they do now, I'd hate to see what they're like when they're wet and it's sunny.

:drool:
 
i hope for windshield wipers!!! with the water swooshing side to side 💡

Anything is possible with patches, and games are always patched after a few months of release. So here is hoping for a patch that will add some great stuff ;)

If they do release a couple patches they can take all the time in the word imo.
 
With how the 370z slides around Indy in 2nd, I'm really wanting to take it on a wet track. Mmmmm...a wet Apricot Hill or Autumn Ring. I like your idea Hoodie1878, a wet Top Gear Test Track would be a blast.

Not that I'm asking for a special Test Track leaderboard, which matches you up with the star of similar speed.

Clarkson: "You're as slow as Jimmy Carr.........and that's not funny." :)


picture.php
 
Last edited:
Who knows. They could have been working on day/night and weather cycles for a long time and just never talked about it - after all this game was built from the ground up.

Also a possible hint - in the GT5 demo, in the cockpit view of the normal car there is a clock showing the time at 5:32 - which is obviously the (frozen) time of day at Indy during the demo. It's not much to go on but I've got my fingers crossed for a 24 hour clock :drool:

The clock in the 370z shows the exact same time in the OPM article, but this time I'm pretty sure it's being driven around Tokyo R246.
It would be a bit strange if they froze the time of day at 5:32 for both circuits. So I wouldn't go reading too much into the whole day/night cycle thing because of that.
 
Last edited:
Anyone like me thinks 5:32 is a hint for something? I mean, they could pick any other time for the clock (ex: 5:00, 5:30,...) Why exactly 5:32?
 
Probably because the other times you posted would be really generic.
 
HN7
Anyone like me thinks 5:32 is a hint for something? I mean, they could pick any other time for the clock (ex: 5:00, 5:30,...) Why exactly 5:32?

I guess so people wont confuse it with anything else.. 5:32 would have to stand for time.. there's nothing else it could really represent
 
HN7
Anyone like me thinks 5:32 is a hint for something? I mean, they could pick any other time for the clock (ex: 5:00, 5:30,...) Why exactly 5:32?

My guess is, when they took photographs of the cockpit for reference of the real 370z, that was the time caught in one of the photo's of the 370z's clock.
 
HN7
Anyone like me thinks 5:32 is a hint for something? I mean, they could pick any other time for the clock (ex: 5:00, 5:30,...) Why exactly 5:32?
Hurry, call the professor:eek:!
DaVinciCode-2.jpg


5+3+2=10
it's coming out in 2010! OMG it's this year!💡
 
lol I was thinking Da Vinci code when I read that post.
 
how about Gran Turismo 5 is coming out March (3) the 2nd in Japan.


...
sorry guys
 
Maybe it is just a silly number scramble... It says "3min 25sec is a decent time for the GT5TT."
 
HN7
Anyone like me thinks 5:32 is a hint for something? I mean, they could pick any other time for the clock (ex: 5:00, 5:30,...) Why exactly 5:32?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH AT YOU!!!!

thinking it could mean something hahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahaha
 
Now that it has been confirmed that there will be day/night and variable weather for all courses in the game, live track weather must be a very strong possibility for the final game?

Live weather basically means that a track would simulate the weather at it's real life counterpart at any given time - obviously assuming you are always signed into the PSN so the game can get the information it needs online.

The only issues I see are that this can not happen in Gran Turismo mode, as then you could end up playing a lot of your races at night if you only get to play the game late - so I think in arcade mode it should be possible to select any track at anytime and turn this feature on. The only other problem would be extreme weather like snow or a monsoon.

It doesn't have to be super accurate, but it would be nice to race around the Nurburgring as the sun is going down in the wet, knowing that those are the exact conditions at that track at that time.

This would suck imo because evertime you race on the top gear test track it would be pouring down with rain. :sly:
No but seriously, I will be happy if live weather was assigned only to arcade mode. Also I wonder if the license tests will include rain, snow or ice. Those tests where you have to brake and stop in a certain area sound a lot harder with the track covered in ice.:)
 
HN7
Anyone like me thinks 5:32 is a hint for something? I mean, they could pick any other time for the clock (ex: 5:00, 5:30,...) Why exactly 5:32?

You can tell that we have been waiting too long got GT5 and we are looking into things just a bit to much :crazy:
 
Gosh, this reminds me of my English Literature lessons :(
"The small window represents the narrow mindedness of the people in Salem"

"Erm no, it represents small window?"

My guess is that 5:32 represents a random time :)
 
how about Gran Turismo 5 is coming out March (3) the 2nd in Japan.

How about (3) month (25) day. Wait thats 25th of Marth. :) Holy Clowns.
And of course the 5+3+2=10(years in development, 2010 year of release)
 
Back